Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 13:29   #8611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post

Please do not take this any other way, I just want to pen down the way I think.

Is not that "highway" just a 2-lane road (though it is probably a designated NH), to be driving at 80-90 km/h...?
I think it is a 4 lane highway.
The GPS takes time to show the actual speed- I was well within 60kmph near the intersection and the cyclist and I had sight of each other for quite a decent distance. I could have dropped my speed further or stopped quite easily too, but then I misjudged the intention of the cyclist and had already started to accelerate again when he butted in.

But then, as is evident in that video, that too is quite a speed to carry near intersections. And, 'assuming' his intention was an error on my part.
Any panic brake is a sign of a bad driver and I was one.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 10th August 2016 at 13:30.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 13:54   #8612
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurchaturvedi View Post
Why : The Etios has totally blocked two cars
This is probably a really stupid question, but do you know that this is not three cars all visiting the same place? Apologies in advance if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Watched in horror as this merc s class went over the divider while taking a u turn. the poor car. even the bikers at the junction were shocked and started waving their hands.
He is lucky it was low. It is equivalent to just mounting the kerb on a sharp turn. Not good, but one can do worse and I know I have, on the occasion where misjudging the turn cost me a serious dent from a much higher divider. A dent to my Swift; a dent to my ego!

Perhaps we expect more from the driving skills of such a car. We ought to be able to, but whereas, not long ago, these vehicles were driven by handpicked professionals, now they are presents for the rich kids to cut their driving teeth on.

There was an era in UK where many of the Golf GTis, especially the soft-tops, were birthday presents from daddy , and driven accordingly. I even had such a colleague: parking skills? Not needed. Just stop. Anywhere will do.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 13:58   #8613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

He is lucky it was low. It is equivalent to just mounting the kerb on a sharp turn. Not good, but one can do worse and I know I have, on the occasion where misjudging the turn cost me a serious dent from a much higher divider. A dent to my Swift; a dent to my ego!

Perhaps we expect more from the driving skills of such a car. We ought to be able to, but whereas, not long ago, these vehicles were driven by handpicked professionals, now they are presents for the rich kids to cut their driving teeth on.
Yep. Any other car and i would not have bothered nor would it have evoked such reactions from the people at that junction. Seeing an S Class made to do that was what made everyone go ouch!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 19:36   #8614
Senior - BHPian

This is a one way street (bridge). The bus swerving on to my lane warned me something was amiss and lo and behold a vehicle comes barging on the wrong side of the road.
Old 10th August 2016, 21:47   #8615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This is a one way street (bridge). The bus swerving on to my lane warned me something was amiss and lo and behold a vehicle comes barging on the wrong side of the road.
Apparently, driving on the wrong side of the road is not an offense in India. So the Alto that went past really is not doing anything wrong, per the letter of the law. See this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4032584
Old 10th August 2016, 23:02   #8616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this is the bridge across Kaveri, along the NH-47 before Salem (coming from Avinashi side), then such specimen can be seen dime a dozen. In your video, the Alto could be seen from 00:10, with the headlights on.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 23:20   #8617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Alto driver was putting his life at risk, along with that of others. If such vehicles meet with an accident, they will be taking all the blame because of wrong side entry. Even the insurance company will deny any claims.
Old 11th August 2016, 00:00   #8618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
If this is the bridge across Kaveri, along the NH-47 before Salem (coming from Avinashi side), then such specimen can be seen dime a dozen. In your video, the Alto could be seen from 00:10, with the headlights on.
Nope, this is Vellore. It's a bit unusual to see a car coming the wrong way on this bridge. Usually bikers come the wrong way on the footpath on the bridge.
I can't remember if I saw the headlights from the drivers seat position (dash cam was placed centrally).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
The Alto driver was putting his life at risk, along with that of others. If such vehicles meet with an accident, they will be taking all the blame because of wrong side entry. Even the insurance company will deny any claims.
On this bridge, lots of vehicles criss cross on the lanes to overtake buses. If someone behind me had done that, it would have caused an accident for sure. The alto was not cautious or driving slow.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:27   #8619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Watched in horror as this merc s class went over the divider while taking a u turn. the poor car.
Me has money, me has big car, big car can do anything.. if big car get damaged me has more money to fix it - is the mentality of a few people with super-expensive cars.

Here, technically its only 40% fault of the driver.. one should learn to mind the surroundings before taking a turn in such a large car, of course this is a small bump and the Merc is more than capable of taking it on without any harm with such large tyres. The other 60% is the fault of the development authorities.. who extends the divider after such a tall streetlight is in place? The point of reference of turning will naturally be after the streetlight since there is a legal right and U-turn after the signal. This will lead to many such incidents day and night where vehicles will not even observe that little median across the light pole and go crash into it while taking a U-turn.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 20:32   #8620
BHPian

Spotted a moronic and doltish biker.

View and enjoy
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-crazybiker.jpg
He was pushing another two wheeler using his left leg, in the middle lane on eastern express highway (major road in Mumbai), desceding on a flyover and that too in peak hour traffic. I thought there were better ways of committing Hara-Kiri. I have seen auto drivers do this but was stunned by this site . I am seriously considering cutting away a section of my car's driver side door so next time i see such morons, out comes my leg for some corrective action
Old 14th August 2016, 21:07   #8621
BHPian

Not sure whether intention was not to give space for other vehicles or the driver of Honda City was drunk. Many other road users were put to risk. There wasn't any co-passenger and could notice lot of dents on right side doors.

Last edited by couswheels : 14th August 2016 at 21:10. Reason: Few additional information
Old 14th August 2016, 23:12   #8622
BHPian

No, it's not a pic of a moving car.
Check out this 'boss' style parking.
Narrow road - Bandra West, Mumbai - caused major inconvenience.

Absolute moron of a guy.
Did I mention it was a no-parking? & right outside a church!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20160814-18.24.23.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 10:37   #8623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by couswheels View Post
Not sure whether intention was not to give space for other vehicles or the driver of Honda City was drunk. Many other road users were put to risk. There wasn't any co-passenger and could notice lot of dents on right side doors.
Drunk, On phone, Being a numbskull...who knows? Such a pain to be stuck behind such idiots on road.
Old 15th August 2016, 12:58   #8624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I had a very close call yesterday.
I had a very similar incident, but in my case I was in the extreme left of the road. Cyclist spots me, I still sound the horn and he still comes at my SUV. Luckily, the Scorpio's brakes worked and it was a gentle brush.

Luckily cops were stationed there and gave him a good dressing down before asking me to go ahead.

Now, if someone sees you, I/me/us assume that it is ok to speed/not brake, but no, its time we change our perceptions.
Old 15th August 2016, 13:05   #8625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

but in my case I was in the extreme left of the road.
That's one more thing I was wondering about- the placement of the barricade in the left lane. Isn't it deliberately pushing the traffic towards the 'blind' side of the road? The time it allows for the driver to spot an obstacle and react is greatly lessened, what with all the thick overgrowth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks