Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 20:52   #8761
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

No helmets + jumping a traffic signal + talking on the phone = worst rider alert!!

Such level disregard towards safety and road rules makes my blood boil! I've stopped rolling down my window to talk sense into people though, just take a deep breath and carry on.
harsh79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 10:33   #8762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Insanity!
That dude looks like he's taken a one way ticket to the morgue

Just hope someone else does not have to pay for his stupidity.
Old 10th October 2016, 14:40   #8763
Distinguished - BHPian

Typical example of a 2-wheeler treating the world as if everything else is static. But it isn't: other vehicles change line and speed; gaps open and close. They think they are quick enough that it won't happen, or if it does, they will bounce like pedestrians walking into each other. They think that until it does happen, and somebody else has to pay.

In fact, lots of people have to pay. Not only other innocent drivers, but their own families. If they don't care about anybody else, they should care about that. But they won't. The behaviour is endemic.
Old 10th October 2016, 19:33   #8764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That dude looks like he's taken a one way ticket to the morgue

Just hope someone else does not have to pay for his stupidity.
I have come across another brand of moronic 2 wheelers. Once I was following a 2 wheeler from behind. I maintained a safe distance between my car and the 2 wheeler.
Guess what : All of a sudden he swerved slightly to his left, stopped the bike abruptly and started browsing through messages in his mobile.

I honked continuously but that had no effect on the bike rider. As I crossed him, i gave him an angry glance but his eyes were still focused on the mobile. Now what do you call such a rider.?
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 19:52   #8765
Senior - BHPian

My god. Lawlessness is growing at an alarming rate.

Quote:
I've stopped rolling down my window to talk sense into people
Don't bother. 2 in 10,000 people may actually listen to you.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 03:22   #8766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If they don't care about anybody else, they should care about that. But they won't. The behaviour is endemic.
I don't think he cared about anything or anyone, you can see sparks from the bike grazing the road at the 7 sec mark.

I've see this type of riding too often on Delhi roads, here's another from a few days back. Again no helmets.

What the hell is the hawker up to in the middle of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Don't bother. 2 in 10,000 people may actually listen to you.
Most people get defensive (lame excuses) and confrontational, rarely does one get the point.

--------------------------------

This bus decided to stop right in the middle if the road. Seriously??!!

Last edited by harsh79 : 11th October 2016 at 03:25.
harsh79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 11:36   #8767

Came across a driver who was driving his swift with a kid on his rear parcel tray!!. And he wasn't going slow either.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-30216372946_82fa7a9b0c_o.jpg  

Old 11th October 2016, 14:33   #8768
Team-BHP Support

Beat this!

A 'dude' on a motorcycle (helmet-less, of course) with a small kid on the tank, doing decent speeds near Hosakerehalli signal. I'm approaching them from behind on my scooter and realizing the guy isn't watching where he's going, give him a wide berth.

Guess what he's up to?

Clicking a selfie with the kid!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 10:12   #8769
BHPian

Quote:
As a Keralite, I find this *yawn* pretty mundane.

We have buses stopping in the middle of the road, stopping in the wrong lane mid-overtake, stopping diagonally so as to block the bus coming behind it, stopping mid-junction, stopping mid-junction while jumping a red and so on. Here, private buses own the road (and the cops by the looks of it) and the rest of the public will just have to scrape by.
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 15:59   #8770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely normal for DTC unfortunately. Blue lines got the stick, while these guys can run havoc on the streets much the same way. I guess having an assured govt. job and the backing of a "union", there is very little a average DTC driver fears. For the life of me, I have never seen DTP challan a red light jumping DTC bus or even impose "obstructing the traffic" fines on these buses which conveniently break down daily at bottlenecks.

Unless the department makes the drivers accountable for any dings/dents on the buses as well traffic violations, I guess the situation will not improve. And the moment they take such decisions, strike!
Old 12th October 2016, 17:27   #8771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Typical example of a 2-wheeler treating the world as if everything else is static. But it isn't: other vehicles change line and speed; gaps open and close. They think they are quick enough that it won't happen, or if it does, they will bounce like pedestrians walking into each other. They think that until it does happen, and somebody else has to pay.
Here's the perfect example.

At the 15 sec mark a lot could've gone wrong and it would've been the car's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

We have buses stopping in the middle of the road, stopping in the wrong lane mid-overtake, stopping diagonally so as to block the bus coming behind it, stopping mid-junction, stopping mid-junction while jumping a red and so on. Here, private buses own the road (and the cops by the looks of it) and the rest of the public will just have to scrape by.
Delhi's no better during the day. Don't expect them to stop in the middle at 4 AM when there's ample space on the side. The road he's on connects to NH1 and vehicles still being driven in 'highway mode' come speeding every few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Absolutely normal for DTC unfortunately. Blue lines got the stick, while these guys can run havoc on the streets much the same way.
The Blue Line days were nasty! Delhi's come a long way since then but not still not far enough.
harsh79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 17:56   #8772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the perfect example.
At the 15 sec mark a lot could've gone wrong and it would've been the car's fault.
Couples who do stuff like this seem to forget that Romeo and Juliet died at the end, by their own hand.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:26   #8773
BHPian

Quote:
In the NCR:

1. Bikers have the right of jigsaw.
2. The car must have honked him -- but he ignored (following rule #1).
3. The car knows the biker will not move, so just graze past (remembering rule #1).

I have seen many drivers treating bikers as mere road gravel. The barge in close when over taking, and do not even honk at times. This is primarily due to the rampant bad mannerisms of bikers here, of course there are just as bad car drivers.

Amazing to see, the left pillion (girl) told the biker on the right, of the approaching vehicle. That too, middle of the road. LOL.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 16:30   #8774
Senior - BHPian

I feel in NCR it's more of the 2-wheel riders that have gone crazy with their mannerisms than the car owners. Entry on the road through 2-wheeler is much easier as armed with few thousands you can have a vehicle in reasonable condition. Add to this. the automatic scooters these days are the worst case, with people who might not have learnt riding a cycle, leave alone road sense/ etiquette, rushing to road for errands... & these people always seem to be in tearing hurry, zig-zagging through rush hour traffic, jumping signaled crossings, riding on pavements, creating trail of dividers to cross roads & what not. In 33% of the cases these people are either underage or not wearing helmets.

In my case, I was literally forced off the Pulsar/ Thunderbird onto to drivers seat due to these morons. Only to ride my BIL's Desert Storm occasionally these days.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 16:03   #8775
Distinguished - BHPian

Off late I have been travelling a lot by Uber and specially been using Uber pool services since most of the times it is still only me who is travelling due to low match probablity and given the traffic chaos it is impossible for the driver to take even 2-3 km detour to pick a second passenger and they cancel it. And it works out cheaper for the customer.

What I have observed across all drivers is that they are amongst the most dangerous people out on the road today. There attention is constantly diverted by the phone whenever a passenger booking comes and then in reaching the said destination using the directions conveyed by the customer and a mix of GPS help. In trying to achieve that, they can stop anywhere at any point of time regardless of the traffic behind or inconvenience caused, can take a turn at the last moment from any lane since the GPS might re-route them or give them the direction at the last moment and what not. I have made a strict mental note to myself to maintain an extra safe distance with all Ola/Uber cabs from now on.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed