Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 12:20   #8896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_4467.jpg
Entered wrong way on Western Express Highway. When i interrupted him, tried to intimidate me by inching close to me. Did not argue much as it was a lost cause. Clicked a picture & reported to Mumbai Traffic Police.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_4474.jpg
There is this signal near Kamal Amrohi Studio on JVLR, with a fuel bunk adjacent to it. Many trucks & buses regularly drive on wrong side. "Didn't you see that my headlights are on?" attitude. This slows down traffic on JVLR. Reported to traffic police with a note that many garbage trucks & buses do this.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2016 at 07:42. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 15th December 2016, 19:49   #8897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Attachment 1584870
Entered wrong way on Western Express Highway. When i interrupted him, tried to intimidate me by inching close to me. Did not argue much as it was a lost cause. Clicked a picture & reported to Mumbai Traffic Police.

Attachment 1584873
There is this signal near Kamal Amrohi Studio on JVLR, with a fuel bunk adjacent to it. Many trucks & buses regularly drive on wrong side. "Didn't you see that my headlights are on?" attitude. This slows down traffic on JVLR. Reported to traffic police with a note that many garbage trucks & buses do this.

Edit: Mods, not sure why the 2nd picture isn't showing in correct orientation. It showed up properly on my laptop.
Where and how are you reporting these to Mumbai Traffic Police ? I would like to do the same
Old 19th December 2016, 14:15   #8898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Where and how are you reporting these to Mumbai Traffic Police ? I would like to do the same
I believe there is a Mumbai traffic police app that you can download on your phone, and upload pictures of offenders.
The police then call you and verify the information before issuing a challan.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:32   #8899
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

From a recent trip:
There was a MH registered Duster a good distance ahead of us somewhere after Kaveripattnam/Krishnagiri. He seemed to have slowed down and we gradually caught up with him. As we drove closer to the Duster, we saw some colourful towel/blanket on the rear parcel tray of the boot and when we were adjacent to him, we realised it was an infant wrapped in a blanket and lying down
The gent was driving the car while the lady was seated on the rear bench.
We were just hoping and praying they'd not leave the child for long on the parcel tray.
After descending the Thoppur ghat, we picked up speed and just then saw the Duster in the IRVM driving very fast towards us so I quickly shifted to the left lane to allow him to pass and what we saw scared us even more. The child was in the same position and the lady had one hand on the child and both driver and lady at the back weren't wearing seat belts
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:13   #8900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Went into level one parking in UB City looking for parking (duh!); took me sometime to find a spot because it's was almost full. While coming out, I see this

Attachment 1581472
Was rolling when I saw this. Oh, you get many like these.
Apart from the many things that you need to keep handy in your car, you also need a print out which reads "If its your eyes then please visit a doctor. If its your driving then please visit a driving school. But for gods sake, stay at home till your fix the problem". And then you need a small cellotape afix this on the windshield.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:31   #8901
BHPian

State Highway : Kid on Front Seat Standing : KA 53 MA 6497

Sir, Your vehicle is good. Your driving style is pretty decent.

An additional precaution for the kid will definitely help your family.

Scorpio : KA 51 M 7481: Illegal U turn attempt

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-kid_seat.jpg

Madam,

You Scorpio is stylish. But breaking rules on State Highway, entering the wrong way is a recipe for disaster. The point where you were trying to push the car out is accident prone. Pray something doesn't happen to anyone. Legal U turn is hardly 20 metres from the place where you were trying to gun the beast.

Watch where you are going and don't depend on others for directions.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scorpio.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2016 at 10:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 21st December 2016, 10:20   #8902
Distinguished - BHPian

I was wrong in thinking that nothing on Indian roads could surprise me anymore after seeing years of moronic driving on our roads everyday. But today morning I found my new number 1 position bad driving exhibit. A maruti omni taxi filled with people figured out that he came up the wrong flyover and decided to reverse. Now this is a common site in delhi where people hog on to the left most Lane and reverse their car all the way ( fact not withstanding that it will be much quicker and safer to take the next to turn). So what made today's incident special? Well this gentleman decided to make a three point U turn bang in the middle of the flyover with the traffic gradually piling behind him. Couldn't click a picture as I was driving on the opposite side of the flyover. But just imagine the audacity. A 3 point U turn in the middle of a flyover on ring road in delhi on a working morning when traffic is pretty dense.

Last edited by drmohitg : 21st December 2016 at 10:22.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 08:32   #8903
Distinguished - BHPian

Well dunno where to post this but I suppose this will have to do, as being a good driver includes every aspect of the car from getting in to getting out. I've a problem with the way some people in an attempt to display their "coolness" and show-off their car, slam their car door shut, and I mean slam in a very exaggerated fashion. A real life example is a VW Polo, not the car's fault at all but the owner creates quite a nuisance slamming the door shut in the garage. I feel this is kind of a cheap behavior and anyone who sees the way the action is done might agree. Its not like I don't understand European cars, I've driven everything from the Skoda Yeti, Fiat Punto, BMW 328i to my own car the doors of which feel much heavier than the Polo and kerb-weight wise IS heavier.

I've been able to properly lock the doors in all of them without making any noise, the way I see it heavy doors come with an advantage - no force required, just push them and they firmly lock into place, they're surely not like the Premier Padminis that needed excessive force to lock. I'm not being picky and seeking things to criticize but sometimes at night in a city where late-shifts are the norm such behavior does not seem appropirate. Yes I'm going to call it out, the "thud" is overrated, BMW for example has soft, crisp closing doors, atleast on the E90 and I loved it.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:50   #8904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was wrong in thinking that nothing on Indian roads could surprise me anymore after seeing years of moronic driving on our roads everyday. But today morning I found my new number 1 position bad driving exhibit. A maruti omni taxi filled with people figured out that he came up the wrong flyover and decided to reverse. Now this is a common site in delhi where people hog on to the left most Lane and reverse their car all the way ( fact not withstanding that it will be much quicker and safer to take the next to turn). So what made today's incident special? Well this gentleman decided to make a three point U turn bang in the middle of the flyover with the traffic gradually piling behind him. Couldn't click a picture as I was driving on the opposite side of the flyover. But just imagine the audacity. A 3 point U turn in the middle of a flyover on ring road in delhi on a working morning when traffic is pretty dense.
Basically the philosophy that most drivers follow: I can do what ever I want on a road (except touch someone else), the other driver has to man his nose -- read, road in front. I am sure, if someone came full throttle and rammed the side of the car, the U turn taker would blame the other, and not accept his mistake. It is selfish and dangerous. Wrong side driving, is so so popular here in the NCR, that is shocks me.

I drive everyday on Golf Course Extension Road (GGN), and the number of wrong side drivers is shocking. It is directly proportional to the number of "cuts" available in the medians. Plus it has four petrol pumps, which people use for service, and then try to get on the "other side" going full wrong side. People would rather not drive 30-40 seconds with the traffic, rather go against the grain, and take 1-2 minutes, to take the median. The dumbness and stupidity shocks me. How can people be so outright moronic and live on the edge of insanity.

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2016 at 17:29. Reason: As requested :)
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:05   #8905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
... I've a problem with the way some people in an attempt to display their "coolness" and show-off their car, slam their car door shut, and I mean slam in a very exaggerated fashion. ...
I haven't had to slam a car door for decades. Back in London, my passenger friends who had the habit of door slamming seemed to be stuck in the era of what their fathers drove in the 1950s. One such lady used to make me wince with pain every time!

I've not really encountered it as an annoying habit here as yet, but I understand that some people like to make their presence felt, in whatever way they can. I'm betting that your friend has enabled the lock/unlock signal too... Or would have done if he knew about it!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:14   #8906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A 3 point U turn in the middle of a flyover on ring road in delhi on a working morning when traffic is pretty dense.
I was a part of this show, few cars behind the omni. As he completed this idiotic maneuver I gave him quite a stare for which I got some typical Indian abuses.
Ruchir031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:50   #8907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I was a part of this show, few cars behind the omni. As he completed this idiotic maneuver I gave him quite a stare for which I got some typical Indian abuses.
The incident I saw was on the Azadpur Flyover. You are talking about the same one?
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:15   #8908
Senior - BHPian

Doctor has come to the main road through a one way road then realized he had no business on the main road and decides to take a u turn. Then goes back the way he came in and takes a right turn. Still can't figure out why he could not have taken that turn while he was coming on the one way in the first place?!
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:55   #8909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
https://Youtu.be/r5I-ttPLUOw

Doctor has come to the main road through a one way road then realized he had no business on the main road and decides to take a u turn. Then goes back the way he came in and takes a right turn. Still can't figure out why he could not have taken that turn while he was coming on the one way in the first place?!
I guess this is the flyover at Bakery jn, Trivandrum?

There is no justification for what this idiot did, but if IIRC once you wrongly take this flyover there is no easy U-turn available. I guess one needs to drive up to Palayam signal or take the underpass and drive all the way up to the university round. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 24th December 2016, 13:38   #8910
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is the Bakery flyover. And you are right there is no justification to what the good doctor has done.

What i don't understand is that there are multiple places below the flyover to cut across but still he persisted in coming up the one way and then taking the u turn there.

After the u turn, that's what he did. Went ahead put on his right indicator and proceeded to cut across to the other side below the flyover. Just boggles the mind is all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks