Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 09:53   #9001
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Blinding up the rear windscreen completely, this guy doesn't seem to care about the traffic behind. And yes, he did drive like a lunatic!
A pretty common sight in NCR too. Possibly he is trying to save his eyes from high beams of people following. But the problem is, most of these guys are on high beams themselves!
Old 6th February 2017, 10:30   #9002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Blinding up the rear windscreen completely, this guy doesn't seem to care about the traffic behind. And yes, he did drive like a lunatic!
I don't think they block the view completely from inside. We use them in our car at home since the ban on sun films and they do allow visibility from the inside.
Old 6th February 2017, 11:35   #9003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
You blocked this guy to prove a point, don't you? You need to keep an eye on who is behind you before you pull such moves in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Though there was enough room for him to take the left lane and continue, I guess that would have been equally disastrous (because of bikers overtaking from left side).
Hi Folks ,

Though it seems like there was enough wiggle room to my left, in reality, there isnt a car-width of space (maybe wide angle lens of the Dashcam gives that impression), its mostly the space created to turn into the apartment you see on the left. There simply isnt enough space for 3 cars to pass in parallel on that stretch. Plus the Dzire guy didnt have the visibility on the curve to pull off his stunt.
I was barely doing 25kph and yes, there was no sudden braking.
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 00:58   #9004
BHPian

Today morning while driving along Medavakkam high road at 9:20AM, was being tailgated by a rash UTOO driver in his Nissan Sunny for close to a kilometer. After putting up a great show for me in the ORVMs. He overtook rashly to take a right turn.

But Karma catches up with you once in a while and today was his day. For he was followed by an equally engrossed biker who was busy talking on his mobile that he had shoved up his helmet . Rams into the rear of the sunny, the bumper bears the brunt and tears and the biker falls down. Hero cab driver gets out takes keys of the bike and parks to the side. Biker quietly takes his phone out of the helmet and puts it in his pocket. I proceed to my destination.

My dad was talking about the cab driver. I realized today while reviewing this video that my dash-cam has taken the pains to change the time stamp, corrected immediately.

Last edited by Shanksta : 7th February 2017 at 01:00.
Shanksta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 07:59   #9005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Possibly he is trying to save his eyes from high beams of people following.
A simple auto-dimming IRVM could've done the trick for him rather than risking his as well as fellow road users' lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I don't think they block the view completely from inside. We use them in our car at home since the ban on sun films and they do allow visibility from the inside.
That in turn depends on the transparency of the screen used. The ones that this guy used seemed almost opaque to me. And his imprudent manner of driving made me guess he couldn't see through.
Old 7th February 2017, 16:18   #9006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
to prove a point ...
A couple of years back, the guy in front of me was obviously making a point blocking an oncoming junction queue jumper driving on the wrong side. I did my bit by making sure that the queue jumper was indeed blocked. Satisfying, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Seven or eight years ago, I decided not to get out of the way of a guy driving in the middle of the road. He was drunk and hit me. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was giving a cab driver a piece of my mind, which should have been on my own driving and I grazed a mini-truck. I now have a few thou to spend on dent/painting (booked next week).

In the one instance, I had an accident which was certainly not my fault, but I could have avoided; in the other, a much lesser accident, but still damaging, which was my fault.

I have largely managed (driving yoga ) to control my temper when driving. I am now trying to control my ego, which wants to give everybody else driving lessons --- which, as my wife has been telling from day one, they will not listen to anyway
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:02   #9007
BHPian

This vehicle belongs to a person from the ruling political party in AP. But I'm sure that doesn't sanction him to drive the vehicle without license plates. To make it worse, the vehicle bears a plate displaying his designation and all. God save this country!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_7712compressed.jpg
Old 7th February 2017, 18:07   #9008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A simple auto-dimming IRVM could've done the trick for him rather than risking his as well as fellow road users' lives.
Well, these guys use the auto dimming mirror just as they use the high beam stalk - what? it has other settings too? .
Old 7th February 2017, 18:22   #9009
BHPian

I always look at it from the other angle...if someone overtakes me from the left , it means I was not following the keep left rule.
chinkara is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 18:57   #9010
BHPian

My office cab driver is slowly becoming dangerous on the road.

Recently, he bought a new smartphone plus a Jio sim. Now thats a dangerous combination while driving. Our man constantly checks the phone, talks to his buddies, plays songs from youtube; all while driving

I have warned him on few occasions but looks like he is still fascinated by the phone and the free data available
Old 7th February 2017, 19:26   #9011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post

Recently, he bought a new smartphone plus a Jio sim. Now thats a dangerous combination while driving. Our man constantly checks the phone, talks to his buddies, plays songs from Youtube; all while driving

I have warned him on few occasions but looks like he is still fascinated by the phone and the free data available
His antics plus the fact that you're in Bangalore seems to be the perfect recipe for disaster.

No sense in waiting to be proved a sitting duck. Time to change your driver mate.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 20:12   #9012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
His antics plus the fact that you're in Bangalore seems to be the perfect recipe for disaster.

No sense in waiting to be proved a sitting duck. Time to change your driver mate.

You are correct!
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I must raise this issue officially.
Old 8th February 2017, 10:09   #9013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiterunner View Post

Recently, he bought a new smartphone plus a Jio sim. Now thats a dangerous combination while driving. Our man constantly checks the phone, talks to his buddies, plays songs from Youtube; all while driving

Suggest to make very strict rule that he should be acting like Gandhiji's three monkeys while driving
This means, he cannot use his mobile
To watch mobile,
To listen to Mobile songs
Or To talk on Mobile

I am clear in my principle to follow 3 monkey rule while driving.

This will avoid several accidents on roads
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:51   #9014
BHPian

Not an experience with a bad driver but a general observation. At night if a car (or any other vehicle for that matter) is overtaking in a dangerous manner e.g. cutting it close with the oncoming traffic approaching fast, the first thing that the oncoming driver does is to put his headlights on the full (upper) mode if they arent already.

Now the driver doing the risky overtaking has already committed a blunder and is sweating about making the take and on top of that if the oncoming driver puts on full headlights then he would go completely blind at a time when he needs to see most clearly. I mean flipping the headlights once or twice to hasten him / announce one's presence is acceptable but to totally blind him is inviting trouble. I never overtake unless I have a clear view of the road ahead but this is what I have observed while driving at night on highways. Now instead of one bad driver we have two bad drivers heading for trouble.

Last edited by luvDriving : 8th February 2017 at 10:52. Reason: grammer
luvDriving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 11:32   #9015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This vehicle belongs to a person from the ruling political party in AP. But I'm sure that doesn't sanction him to drive the vehicle without license plates. To make it worse, the vehicle bears a plate displaying his designation and all. God save this country!
This is a cleverly done stickering job, the plate only says "President, District Telugu Youth". It is not a government vehicle nor belongs to anyone in ruling party. In Karnataka also people stick a green band on their number plates and put something like "President" or "Chairman" and have a flag post on the bonnet. This is only to avoid paying tolls and nothing else.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed