Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 18:17   #9151
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The following video compilation covers a variety of bad driving/riding/walking practices. Kolkata Police have done a good work putting in public domain the moronic actions of reckless road users. Have a look.
Amazing. In addition, once out of danger, the ones who caused the accidents because of their recklness should be asked to pay a fine plus also see the video multiple times so that they will be careful next time.

This also reinforces the need to be more strict and flawless in the process of driving tests, license issue and renewal etc. If people do not know the rules of driving, do not give them a license.

I think we should have a license renewal every 7-10 years.

On the other side will we accept such strict measures ? I read an article in the news today that in kerala license test has been made stringent and instead of appreciating, the comment on the news was that government is only interested in making more money and there is no need to be so strict in giving licenses.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 23:12   #9152
Distinguished - BHPian

There was an initiative in UK at one time where police would stop a driver, and rather than prosecute them, show them a video and try to make them understand what they had been doing wrong. And another, in which police stopped people to congratulate them on their good driving!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:08   #9153
BANNED

I was waiting at this toll plaza today behind a Swift, now see what happened:

At the toll plaza, this guy was so busy gossiping with his passengers that he didn't even notice that his car has started moving backwards. Check in video, you can even see his talking and making gestures while his car is moving back. Now after the hit, he looks back and came out.

Me: Bhai dimag theek hai, dikh nahi raha teri gaadi peeche hat rahi hai? (Brother, your mind okay? Can't you see your car is moving backwards?)

He: Maine nahi maari, tenne aake picche se maari (It's not me, you hit from back) Check in video, he can be clearly heard speaking that around 0:19

In my mind ( I hit from back!!)

Me: Bakwas na kar, camera laga hua hai gaadi me (Don't spread BS, there is camera in the car)

He (Surprised and looking at camera): Camera laga hai!! (There is a camera!!)

Now he returned back without speaking a single word, I myself was surprised with the way he just returned back while I was shouting behind him. Any ways, I have a free pass at this toll plaza and he was asked by us to stop after the toll - which he didn't. And I didn't bother to even follow him since my car had zero damage and so had his.
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:17   #9154
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes it is all too easy to assume that what happens in other countries is all fine and wonderful. Not true! And this is so extreme I could not resist posting it here. Woman, DUI, with baby in car, decides to go flying.

It's amazing that they are both alive. But it cost this lady six months jail time.

Check the news item and watch the video from a following vehicle's dashcam:

Coventry drink-drive mum jailed over Peterborough crash (BBC)
Old 11th April 2017, 20:31   #9155
Senior - BHPian

On my return trip from Nashik at the toll booth, one of the barriers in the lane next to mine wasnt working so a guy was raising and lowering it manually. Someone called him and he stepped away for a minute. A Creta driver who was next in line didnt have the patience to wait so he squeezed under the barrier ! The pole scraped along the bonnet, over the windshield and roof and then along the back ! Why would someone do that to their car ?
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 09:50   #9156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Legally, what is needed to nail them? Can be either delivery guys, the aggregator company or both. Or is it better that we do negative publicity right here and through social media? I want to cut these guys down a size, and I dont mind wasting a bit of my time for that, is it worth it? I want our roads safe again.
The best case scenario would be to take a pic and upload on social media. Preferably try to use parivahan services to get the owners details or you can goto the concerned RTO and get the vehicle information by paying a small fee.

Using these details, try to befriend a traffic cop and tell him that you'll help him achieve his targets for the month. Once you give him all the details, I'm sure he'll make a challan. In metropolitan cities it's easpecially easy to post such details of offenders on traffic police website/Facebook account. In Mumbai the traffic police app is helpful. I've taken many pics. I mount my GoPro to my vehicle and later while home take screenshots of speeding vehicle (GoPro records GPS data too) and take pics using my phone app. Not sure if it's of any help, but atleast I get a sense of content to report these offenders, especially on the Eastern Freeway, where speed limit is 60kmph and many zoom away to glory.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 14:55   #9157
Senior - BHPian

Just now, after lunch I hopped onto my bike to make a quick run to the Shell pump to buy a pack of marlboros. On the way I was cruising in the fast lane when suddenly a splendor (or someother commuter bike) began taking a U-Turn from the left lane. The pillion rider had seen me and started gesturing to the rider to stop but to no avail, eventually he smacked the rider on the head telling him to stop but it was too late as he had already occupied space in my path. Luckily I had already rev-matched down a couple of gears and saw that there was no oncoming traffic so swerved into the opposite lane to avoid a collision (luckily no divider also). As I looked behind, the guy was still standing there with his bike perpendicular to the road smiling at me with his hand in the air apologizing. I simply shook my head and moved on.

What is it with these guys? Okay the guy apologized (which I have come to learn in Bangalore is a big deal in itself) BUT clearly he did not learn his lesson as he was still happy to stand idle perpendicular to the road on the fast lane not caring if someone came and smacked him and his pillion off the bike. He could have finished the u-turn, parked the bike on the side of the road and looked back to apologize but no he still continued to behave carelessly. Why do they act like as if we are all strolling at under 5kmph in a park? The man did not even bother looking before taking a U-Turn only looked at the opposite side of the road which he was planning on joining.

I have seen this so many times; people don't bother looking before merging onto a main road from some narrow street, people don't bother checking the RVM or indicating before suddenly pulling over at a shop. Do we have any idea why this is? It is not like everyone is drunk nor is this a lack of education since I believe these are matters of common sense why do people behave so stupidly on the roads in our country? Is it because we value life less? Is it because labour is cheap and people are overworked? Can anyone with any theories, please elaborate? I really want to understand why there is such a careless attitude in our country as I'm simply flabbergasted.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th April 2017 at 15:00.
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 15:06   #9158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I have seen this so many times; people don't bother looking ... ... ...
You don't need to go any further! In so many circumstances, they don't look, or they just expect that the world will stop or move aside for them.

Old 12th April 2017, 15:48   #9159
BHPian

Quote:
What is it with these guys?

Why do they act like as if we are all strolling at under 5kmph in a park? The man did not even bother looking before taking a U-Turn only looked at the opposite side of the road which he was planning on joining.
Do we have any idea why this is? It is not like everyone is drunk nor is this a lack of education since I believe these are matters of common sense why do people behave so stupidly on the roads in our country?

Can anyone with any theories, please elaborate? I really want to understand why there is such a careless attitude in our country as I'm simply flabbergasted.
You're not alone in being apalled at all this. I and many others are too. And I have a theory as to what is the possible reason.

You see, I firmly believe that the core reason behind all the problems in this country, mainly the *** stupidity types, are solely existing because of the LACK OF EDUCATION. And not always the academic one. We always underestimate the scale of this. How large is the percentage of these uneducated brothren which causes all the social illness is missed by many. I could give you many examples but this is so vast at scale that the mods would ban me if I even started.

Coming to the point, lack of education automatically leads to lack of awareness. Most people around these days are still unaware that vehicles these days have moved on to more powerful motors and roads are getting better generally, and a guy like ishalaan would be at any moment moving at a very healthy clip,which is perfectly normal and so I have got to stay in line. Simple point yet it's very commonly lost on most people! Everyone tends to think that they can be comfortably numb with their movement on the road and all others should actively avoid them or something like that. And oh, these guys have no idea about words like momentum, inertia, right of way, decency on the road, etc.

Basically, for most people, the roads are just the way it was in their childhood. Only with some fancy bikes n cars thrown in to the mix. How does that change things, right? Right.

So I always remind myself to be aware of this lack of awareness on their part and keep myself as careful as possible whenever I see any moving specimens on or around the road. But I will agree, they're too good at the stupidity sometimes and it can get you off guard. So since my average speed is more than most people on the road, I keep it as careful as can be. It's all you can do and hope for the best.

Point to note: there are a lot of "educated" people who are blissfully unaware too, so looks can be deceptive.

This is my theory. Hope it helps.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 02:27   #9160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
On a serious note, shaming or pointing out one's fault just doesn't cut the ice here. People are ready to fight back or suggest that others are also doing this. In some places, it is a genuine problem caused because of how our traffic is regulated or how the infrastructure is. The only way out is if the law gets serious about disciplining such errant riders/drivers.

Coming to the specific case that you mentioned, I guess posting on traffic police twitter and facebook page should get their attention. And multiple posts from multiple people should definitely get someone to take an action against them.
You're absolutely right on the apathy part, people either don't care or partake in the crimes themselves citing their right to "copy" others, and somehow, this has got to stop, this nonsense about man sitting on the throne of righteousness using every irrelevant, illogical and absurd way to defend themselves when they violate laws and/or principles.

The police care two hoots about traffic violations reported on social media (from what I've seen), but maybe I'm wrong since I've never done it before nor do I have anything to record such violations with (by principle I never use the phone when seated in the car). I've another strategy though which I'll be elaborating below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The best case scenario would be to take a pic and upload on social media. Preferably try to use parivahan services to get the owners details or you can goto the concerned RTO and get the vehicle information by paying a small fee.
Been a few days and I've not seen even one of them, of course I'm sure wherever they may be, they're making an utter mockery of laws. I've also spoken to a lawyer friend (who feels that I get in touch purely to get free legal opinions and nothing else) and I guess the best way for now is social media, since I have no recorded evidence to date. I do not record or use phone as a matter or principle when driving, so I'd have to be on foot and even then I don't know where these mosquitoes buzz about (yes, I don't care that they are under pressure, or are from a modest background and are merely surviving, there is NO excuse big enough to break a safety law, except maybe ambulances but they have the siren which can warn us).

The main culprits are indeed the "aggregators" who promise "lightning fast" delivery and all the marketing magilla to tempt customers and put everyone else to inconvenience. I'm not sure if I'd want to go to another unreliable source (cops) for a solution, most of these violations happen with them just a few meters away and they simply don't even look in that direction.

I'm working out some way, got to try because if all the law-abiding citizens look away and do nothing then that gives incentive to the anarchists to have their way all the time citing every excuse under the sun.
Old 14th April 2017, 12:15   #9161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is it with these guys?
I simply blame RTO rules, testing authorities and driving schools here. As I have told multiple times in multiple threads, driving IS NOT JUST changing the state of a stationery body from rest into Motion.

All Our RTO rules and tests end with making some hand signals, quoting few sections and driving in front of RTO officer for a stretch and of course, giving some money.

The real road sense, the attitude towards safe driving OR real responsibility of others(Drivers and pedestrians) Safety ON ROAD is COMPLETELY OUT OF SYLLABUS to get driving license in India. RTO Officers are goaled to achieve their Bribe targets for the day and Driving Schools are targeted to get their revenue for their schools.

In My view, driving(Moving the vehicle) can be expertised by any animal by just gaining experience(In circus, even monkeys will drive bikes very fluently)

So, to get drivers license, the entire focus during learning should turn towards exhibiting the road sense, developing the right attitude towards others safety. These attitude can never come OR be improved by common man without guidance.

Also, for Public (Pedestrians) the same road sense, attitude towards the safety of drivers is COMPLETELY out of syllabus, OR THERE IS NOT EVEN A Course ON THIS TOPIC in their schools.

I honestly think, there has to be severe practical tests in primary or middle schools on HOW TO BEHAVE ON ROADS as a CIVIC PEDESTRIAN. And if a person fails in these test, then, he cannot be promoted to next class

And the absence of these two above is the root cause of all accidents that happen. This is according to me is mathematically proven SCIENCE.

Last edited by gkveda : 14th April 2017 at 12:25.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 13:15   #9162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
On my return trip from Nashik at the toll booth, one of the barriers in the lane next to mine wasnt working so a guy was raising and lowering it manually. Someone called him and he stepped away for a minute. A Creta driver who was next in line didnt have the patience to wait so he squeezed under the barrier ! The pole scraped along the bonnet, over the windshield and roof and then along the back ! Why would someone do that to their car ?
Was it a Zoomcar or Myles Car?
Old 15th April 2017, 17:20   #9163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Was it a Zoomcar or Myles Car?
Nope it was a private car. White Creta with white plates. What could possibly make it worse was that it looked like it was being driven by a driver and the boss was sitting at the back !
Old 16th April 2017, 15:03   #9164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
...a fellow moronic driver would do the same on a undivided 2 lane road resulting in accident
This is one aspect, another aspect I have seen is when I leave space between me and the guy in front some fool will just barge in and take away my space. I am amazed by the fact that people dont realise how foolish it is to drive bumper to bumper at speeds greater than as low as 15-20 kmph.

There are situations where two wheeler people just fling their legs on both sides and do all sort of maneuvers. I wonder what the are thinking as looking at their ankles flinging in the air and some obstacle in front can hit them at those speeds i am sure their feet will be shattered into bone meal.

Few days ago I happened to see a biker (he had a helmet on) who was passing me at over 100+ kmph. I thought wow a wise guy. But soon realised he had a boy (may be 6-10 yrs old) on his petrol tank! wearing goggles and obviously no helmet. Even if he had helmet (not sure if they make one for kids) I dont think he understood the risk he was putting the kid on.
Old 20th April 2017, 10:01   #9165
Distinguished - BHPian

Park like a jack, didn't expect a normally inept department to be so quick.
He must have thought, though, the worse that could happen is someone scratches my car, or punctures a tyre. Probably not, since he must be the local goon to have parked like that. Lesson.

Source: TOI
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20_04_2017_027_027_002.jpg  

Last edited by mayankk : 20th April 2017 at 10:05.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed