Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 10:01   #9256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Of late, I have been giving into this dark side of Delhi driving to traverse the mad roads of NCR..
Appreciate your candour in revealing that even though you'd known the motorist behind you was errant, you didn't take as much precaution as you'd like.. I've felt that many times when the person behind me is tailing too close and more specially, if its a bus, neither can brake on time. Delhi has gotten bad, it wasn't so bad even 2 years ago but today it is and its compounding by the day given the booming economy and people's general perception that a fancy car is the best symbol of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Driving in Delhi has been one of my worst nightmares. Every two out of five drivers turn out to be street-racing and rashly driving.
As bad as Delhi is in terms of certain people pretending to be living the rockstar life, the NCR roads are worse and I mean horrible. They say Gurugram should be blamed for the present condition of Delhi, I agree a little, even the Uttar Pradesh side of NCR i.e Noida, Ghaziabad is no better. The capital and its surrounding suffer a little bit more than other states, in terms of implementation and protection of law and order.. I don't know who can be blamed for this either since toll-gate operators are being pulled out of their booths and beaten up just for doing their job and I'm sure which traffic constable hasn't heard the words "aapko pata nahin ki main/mere papa'g kaun hain?!!! traaak chada denge"

Hope things work out for you guys, as of now with the pollution, the rise in vehicles, congestion due to the ever expanding "capital region", its no longer the place I used to know- much like any other major metro in India, my home Bangalore for one.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 09:08   #9257
BHPian

Came across a Maroon - Fiat Linea (Number endings in 5767 or something similar) with two Team BHP Stickers across the back bumper. This was at the signal approaching the Poona Club Swimming Pool (You guessed it - in Pune ), last evening.

The individual was driving like a tool - Whilst approaching a signal he changes lane (right to left) without any indicators or even looking behind him, just to get ahead at a red light. This being a fairly busy road, he not only very narrowly missed my car, but was also a pain for those in the correct lane taking a left.

I know there are a number of fake stickers around, but if it a member on here, get rid of those stickers - You most certainly 'Do not drive safe'!!

If the family weren't in the car, I would have been writing this in the road rage confessions thread.
Samir Taheer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:17   #9258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I know there are a number of fake stickers around, but if it a member on here, get rid of those stickers - You most certainly 'Do not drive safe'!!

An office colleague of mine(sitting a few cubicles to me) is scheduled to get the delivery of his new Baleno next week. Back in Dec'16 he had asked me to accompany him during the test drive of this car and as a colleague/friend I agreed. I wondered, instead of testing the car on various parameter such as traffic/road conditions and handling & maneuverability or even checking on the car features, ease of use, utility and quality or workmanship aspects, he started racing it on the NH-8 cutting in between the traffic. Sitting on the rear seat, I remained silent and kept observing on how was he fairing it as fun(rather dangerous) drive under the guise of test drive.

Later after he was done, I asked him on how he felt racing it in 3 digits? If he is going to buy it for rally sport or what and told him on how he should have test driven it. The answer was "I love driving that way".

From past couple of months, I have been using T-BHP coffee mug and key chains. Many office colleagues around keep asking me about them and some are even after me to gift some goodies to them. Some of them know about the T-BHP stickers on my car as well.

Now, just yesterday itself as I gave T-BHP PDI checklist to this colleague, he also asked me to give "I drive safe" T-BHP sticker to him(since I haven't stuck it yet and is lying at home). To this, I bluntly refused him saying:

- Do you really drive safe? I remember the test drive you took. It was rather a go-karting!

- Are you a T-BHPian? The sticker isn't merely for flaunting. There is a meaning to it and ethics & values underneath. Live them, get them!

Sharing below goodies from my office desk for its surely going to bring positivity and a smile to our faces.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tbhp_office-goodies.jpg

Thanks,
Simmi

Last edited by Eddy : 31st May 2017 at 11:02. Reason: As requested
Nohonking is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 11:03   #9259
Senior - BHPian

Around 20 seconds into this video, it seems that the rider and all other cars have crossed a zebra crossing while the light was still red.

Edit: @mods, not sure how to quote a post without the video. Please check and correct as required

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st May 2017 at 13:17. Reason: Removing YouTube url. Just remove the URLs from the quoted post as Thad has said. :)
Old 31st May 2017, 11:33   #9260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Around 20 seconds into this video, it seems that the rider and all other cars have crossed a zebra crossing while the light was still red.
It's human tendency to ignore one's flaws and find fault in others. The bike rider is no saint. Squeezing past the car and the barricade, stopping well ahead of the stop line etc are not good riding habits.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:51   #9261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
It's human tendency to ignore one's flaws and find fault in others. The bike rider is no saint. Squeezing past the car and the barricade, stopping well ahead of the stop line etc are not good riding habits.
Exactly what was on my mind when I saw that helmet cam video. The simple rule of FIFO does not seem to be the order of the day on city roads any more, at least at traffic lights. Just because there is some space on the sides and between vehicles, two wheeler riders squeeze into them. So very often, you would have a couple of cars stopped at the stop line only to find about 10/15 two wheelers squeeze past them and stop ahead of the stop line. Many a time, a policeman is a silent spectator to such and their silence only breeds more people to practice the same.
Old 31st May 2017, 14:50   #9262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Just because there is some space on the sides and between vehicles, two wheeler riders squeeze into them. So very often, you would have a couple of cars stopped at the stop line only to find about 10/15 two wheelers squeeze past them and stop ahead of the stop line. Many a time, a policeman is a silent spectator to such and their silence only breeds more people to practice the same.
Isn't it funny to observe how people naturally tend to get irritated by bikes? Lane-splitting is legal in a lot of countries and is totally natural. While you are complaining about bikes squeezing past cars in traffic through tight spots, have you stopped to wonder why they have to squeeze through such tight spots? Because even though there would be 3 lanes on one side of the road, 6 cars would have occupied the entire width of the road and 1 uber/ola cab would be sitting at the extreme left off the road, waiting for the signal to turn green when he can pounce back onto the road and cut in front of everyone else. I admit most bikes are not ridden properly in India but the simple fact is, most cars aren't driven properly either. So I feel it isn't a two wheeler thing, it is just a desi thing to not respect or share the road properly with other users, regardless of what vehicle they are in.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 31st May 2017 at 14:51.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 16:31   #9263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Edit: @mods, not sure how to quote a post without the video. Please check and correct as required
This is my daily commute back from office - trust me when I say that the WORST drivers I have encountered in South Mumbai are in this region.
(other bombay residents - I am talking about the stretch between JJ Flyover & Lalbaug flyover - esp the road running parallel - N.M. Joshi Marg going towards Byculla Station)

It doesn't look so bad because this must've been shot after 9PM.

It doesn't help that the road narrows and widens up at random, so there are a few bottlenecks; constant road work somewhere or the other, and a lot of bikers turning at will below the flyover signal.

Heck, I should upload a dashcam video of the road during peak traffic hours - where the cops are literally helpless; and there are more commercial vehicles (taxis, mini-trucks, hand carts) than actual passenger cars which doesn't help matters.
Old 31st May 2017, 18:08   #9264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It doesn't help that the road narrows and widens up at random, so there are a few bottlenecks
To me, this is one of the biggest contributors for traffic jams in our urban sprawls. Combined with the lack of any lane driving sense whatsoever.

2 lane road changes to 6 lanes and then back to 1.5 lanes. If there was a standard road width all across, there would be less possibilities to cut across lanes just to move ahead. Avoidable bottlenecks everywhere.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 21:54   #9265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Isn't it funny to observe how people naturally tend to get irritated by bikes?
But, for twenty years I did not regularly get irritated by bikes. Then I started driving in India.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:00   #9266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But, for twenty years I did not regularly get irritated by bikes. Then I started driving in India.
There are two serious points working for you here:

1- You're one well rounded mature character and know what to save and what to delete from your system.
2. You don't drive in a city, known as Bangalore.
Old 31st May 2017, 23:05   #9267
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the drivers in the first half of this video of mine can be an example for this thread.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:10   #9268
BHPian

Driver asleep at wheel

Encountered this fellow at Ejipura Signal (BLR) today. I was waiting patiently behind him, the signal turns green and I wait for him to move, but no. I honk after about 5 seconds, still nothing, honk again after sometime, nothing again.

Then I get worried and thought, what if he might be in some trouble? I drive parallel to him, roll down my windows and knocked on his. He then wakes up and looks at me as if I was committing a crime! Without any care in the world gives me these looks and zooms off, I was like
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20170602_091017_01.jpg  

pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 15:42   #9269
BHPian

Ignorance is Bliss! Did not even bother to check mirrors before changing lanes. At the least did not even turn on his indicators. Blames the cammer for not honking and saving his life. Guess he realised there is no need for a helmet since there is nothing up there.

Shanksta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 09:10   #9270
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not a Bad Rider, my actions are merely implications of bad parenting!

Just look at this kid, barely looks 12-13 Years with another younger kid as his pillion happily riding the Activa and merging the main road from a bylane.

He was lucky that it was only a car and not a Truck or a BMTC Bus, else fate would have reduced them and their machine to mangled pieces of metal and organs.

And what audacity this guy had - When I rolled down and gave him and earful, he abuses and runs away and what happened next was even more interesting - He takes the wrong side to enter bylane, right in front of a regularly manned barricade by L&A cops and they don't even bother as it is a daily & regular affair here.

Thankfully, my daughter was belted that despite the braking, she was right there on her seat and soon after this I gave her yet another example of how buckling up helped.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th June 2017 at 09:26.
paragsachania is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks