Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 23:49   #9421
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Some more bad drivers caught on my dashcam.

Moronic lane cutter:

How not to make a turn:

2 in 1. The lady is not even checking the road. And the biker? No idea what he was trying to do!

Bad parking by a BHPian. Buddy, if you had parked straight, one more car would have fit.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-amba0034.mov_000291694.png

Aand seconds after it, this impatient biker squeezes through the gap. WHY??

Another moron. His response "Nothing happened right? So? "

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 29th July 2017 at 23:50.
GeneralJazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 09:06   #9422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Some more bad drivers caught on my dashcam.

Moronic lane cutter:

How not to make a turn:
Though both the drivers in the videos have certainly erred, I guess you could have exercised more caution while dealing with those scenarios.

In the first instance, you were following a bus going on the oncoming lane on a single carriageway. It's never a good idea to follow a bus since most often than not, you will be blinded by the bus failing to see any vehicles coming your way once the bus swerves back into its lane.

In the second, while the idiotic auto was completely at fault, you shouldn't have swerved into the right lane of oncoming traffic. The ideal thing to do there was to come to a halt, let the auto clear out of your track and then proceed. Avoidance is not always swerving, a lot can be done by just coming to a halt, on time.

Last edited by jayded : 31st July 2017 at 09:11.
jayded is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 12:15   #9423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad parking by a BHPian. Buddy, if you had parked straight, one more car would have fit.
Please don't be too harsh on him. From the pics, it's not clear, who parked when. Brio has parked completely off the road with consideration to moving traffic (maybe!!). The City on the other hand, is spilling over to the road.

Without marked spots, maybe both are right
Even with marked spaces we have seen some great examples in the last few pages.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:07   #9424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
In the first instance, you were following a bus going on the oncoming lane on a single carriageway. It's never a good idea to follow a bus since most often than not, you will be blinded by the bus failing to see any vehicles coming your way once the bus swerves back into its lane.
Thats a one-way. Vehicles coming in the opposite direction are breaking the rules. The Santro had no business cutting across like that. Isn't that the purpose of rear view mirrors?

Quote:
In the second, while the idiotic auto was completely at fault, you shouldn't have swerved into the right lane of oncoming traffic. The ideal thing to do there was to come to a halt, let the auto clear out of your track and then proceed. Avoidance is not always swerving, a lot can be done by just coming to a halt, on time.
There is a car coming up on the side road. There is no space for the auto to go. With no indicators, I dont know if he was trying to overtake or was trying to take a turn. No sane person would drive like that into the oncoming lane to take a turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Please don't be too harsh on him. From the pics, it's not clear, who parked when. Brio has parked completely off the road with consideration to moving traffic (maybe!!). The City on the other hand, is spilling over to the road.

Without marked spots, maybe both are right
Even with marked spaces we have seen some great examples in the last few pages.
There was another car parked perfectly just next to the Brio. The Brio could have just parked parallel to it. Its not a question of marked spots, its about decency. People don't care enough to understand that they are causing problems for someone else. That, by me, is a bad driver.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 31st July 2017 at 14:08.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:34   #9425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a car coming up on the side road. There is no space for the auto to go. With no indicators, I dont know if he was trying to overtake or was trying to take a turn. No sane person would drive like that into the oncoming lane to take a turn.
Oh the Auto was a bad driver no doubts. Just asking for trouble. It is a common sight on roads these days to see people taking the turn well in advance instead of turning at the actual place. All for a few seconds.

But his point was that, seeing the auto ahead in your lane, you should have stopped and waited for him to turn rather than swerve to the opposite lane and inconvenience the poor souls on that lane for whom you would have been the bad driver.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:01   #9426
BHPian

slightly!

Makes me chuckle a bit when I see some extremely normal occurrences on Indian roads being posted on this thread. Yes, of course there is no shortage of morons on the road but we need to judge them keeping Indian road standards/conditions in mind.

No offence to anyone, keep the dashcams running
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 22:33   #9427
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Hey guys! I'm not sure if this post goes here or on the bad drivers thread. I am as much to blame in what happened earlier this evening on the Intermediate Ring Road in Bangalore. I was bound for Indiranagar on the innermost lane driving at 40 kmph (as is prescribed by recently erected signage and I generally hover around 40 kmph). I was overtaking this shaven ape using the phone in his cab, when he decides to indicate and squeeze in between me and a slower moving vehicle (plying ahead of him) in his lane (middle).

I honk, he persists with the psychotic maneuver, really closing the gap between us. Please remember that I'm in the overtaking lane and have the right of way. Now, I take umbrage, get beside him and shove him back into his lane by steering sharp to my left into him (I know folks, totally foolish / uncalled for and in contravention of forum rules, I'm sorry!). This upsets the dweeb, gets behind me, starts honking incessantly, overtakes from the left (I'm maintaining prescribed speed) gets to pull up ahead of me at the next light, exits his car in a huff and I do the same with greater gusto. Obviously he was clueless, says he indicated, expects the world to stop dead in its tracks. I tell him as much, tell him that I don't blame him and that the lame licencing authority is to blame. But no, he wants me to pull to the left and stop for a roadside altercation, which he probably relishes. Going by his ensuing behaviour, I drive on. The idiot wants to tail (all the while fidgeting with his phone).

So, I pull to the kerb a little ahead and wait for him to pass by, which he does. Anyway, what I want to know from you guys is that can we actually sue the RTO or Uber/Ola etc. for populating our pot-holed roads with this filth. I'm not condoning my behaviour in this incident and I've promised myself not to repeat it. But, it's very frustrating and I'm still seething almost three hours after the fact.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2017 at 07:23. Reason: Spacing, punctuation added for better readability.
thorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:59   #9428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Now, I take umbrage, get beside him and shove him back into his lane by steering sharp to my left into him (I know folks, totally foolish / uncalled for and in contravention of forum rules, I'm sorry!).

Thank Gods that you did not end up in a fist fight! Hopefully he is also not posting a similar post elsewhere!

As you have achieved serenity now, take a deep breath and start your life again!
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:04   #9429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this post goes here or on the bad drivers thread. I am as much to blame in what happened earlier this evening on the Intermediate Ring Road in Bangalore. I was bound for Indiranagar on the innermost lane driving at 40 kmph (as is prescribed by recently erected signage and I generally hover around 40 kmph). I was overtaking this shaven ape using the phone in his cab, when he decides to indicate and squeeze in between me and a slower moving vehicle (plying ahead of him) in his lane (middle).
If he was an uber or ola driver post on twitter tagging them, they will take care of him.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 11:31   #9430
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this post goes here or on the bad drivers thread. ... But, it's very frustrating and I'm still seething almost three hours after the fact.

Can imagine the frustration. Normally I prefer to just let them pass, not all Ola and Uberoids are bad. However twice I did get hit by one these from the back, that's a 2 out of 4 times in the last 2 years. Both cases I took a photo of the driver holding up their license to the face. In both cases the cabs suffered substantial damage as compared to nothing on my car and I let it pass.

As a thumb rule I generally avoid agitating these drivers as they are mostly overworked, have relatively less experience on the road and little or no relevant education. Once they are trying to compete, they can hit your car or worse, hit some two wheeler or pedestrian with far worse consequences.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 12:15   #9431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If he was an uber or ola driver post on twitter tagging them, they will take care of him.
Do they,really?! You think a full scale litigious assault on the Rto and cab operators might improve the quality of drivers,unleashed upon our roads every new day.I mean,I want to be a part of the solution and not the problem(which I used to be before Tbhp sorted things out for me).

Cant anything be done at all? Is there no hope?! Couldn't Tbhp support and publish in regional languages,could that make a difference?

Thanks hserus,I've always found the quality of your posts to be cogent and pithy,really appreciate your sagacity.
thorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 12:22   #9432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not condoning my behaviour in this incident and I've promised myself not to repeat it. But, it's very frustrating and I'm still seething almost three hours after the fact.

Patience. We need truckloads of it on our streets.

See, it doesn't make a difference to your overall commute time (maybe a max of 10 mins) if you let them pass. I know, it is hard to ignore when we see some people drive this badly.

I used to do all this everyday. Getting out of the car at least once was a regular thing on my commutes. Then I noticed, this tribe isn't getting any lesser and am always in a bad mood. Doesn't make sense. Now I just smile, keep calm and drive on!
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 12:28   #9433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Can imagine the frustration.

As a thumb rule I generally avoid agitating these drivers as they are mostly overworked, have relatively less experience on the road and little or no relevant education. Once they are trying to compete, they can hit your car or worse, hit some two wheeler or pedestrian with far worse consequences.
This makes sense,thanks shubhodeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Patience. We need truckloads of it on our streets...
Now I just smile, keep calm and drive on!
I've tried this too,certainly helps,must persevere. Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 1st August 2017 at 12:58.
thorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:43   #9434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please remember that I'm in the overtaking lane and have the right of way.
Not really about you or your incident, but speaking generally...

I might be getting confused with the rules for prevention of collision at sea here but I don't think an overtaking vehicle has right of way as such. I think the overtaking vehicle has to watch out for others.

But, on the other hand, it is equally wrong to pull out in front of, or obstruct, the overtaking vehicle. So I'm not sure that there is a black/white rule here.

Hope this isn't a useless post. Just that the whole thing needs thinking about. And there are two many people who, like your guy, think that indicating or honking gives them rights.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 15:30   #9435
BHPian

Agree with Thad sir. There is no such thing as "Right of way" for an overtaking vehicle. But yes there is something called as common sense where the the vehicle being overtaken gives way to the vehicle that has already committed for overtaking. However given it is India where the rules of driving are only printed at the back of an auto or a lorry and it isn't being followed in spirit, it is best to ignore those buffoons and relax. Afterall you are the only loser if you react to such clowns.
arunramaswamy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed