Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2017, 11:00   #9466
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have two thoughts about this. The first is that following through is acceptable. The speeds for this kind of city manoeuvre are usually very slow. The second is that, in city stop/start driving, the car in front is most likely to stop unexpectedly.

Here's my mantra: just because the car in front has started moving does not mean it will go on moving.
Its true in most cases, and i always keep a respectable distance, however you have these smart idiots who suddenly appear on the wrong side and seeing a gap just try and push their way in, getting you into a close quarter situation, wherein one has to give way or risk a fender bender. So its invariably the latter as better sense prevails for me.
Old 12th August 2017, 13:53   #9467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
In this one, while I was going to make a left turn at a T-Junction, there are 2 impatient drivers who do not want to wait for their on coming traffic and turn in early and come face to face with my car. A two wheeler takes quite a different way out, through my left! That makes it 3 bad drivers in one short clip. Not to miss a pedestrian crossing a busy junction while being engaged on the phone!
Adding to that would be an auto or 2 wheeler behind you cursing you for waiting to take the turn at the T junction and decides to go around you
Old 12th August 2017, 15:39   #9468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In this one, while I was going to make a left turn at a T-Junction, there are 2 impatient drivers who do not want to wait
Standard and normal behaviour at Chennai junctions.

I wonder why people find this simple basic skill of driving impossible: We drive on the left; when turning into a another road, we turn from the left side of our road into the left side of the other road. Do not drive on the wrong side. Do not cut the corners (at least, not unless one has complete visibility and the road is completely clear).

Well, that is the way it should be done. But isn't.

Old 14th August 2017, 12:32   #9469
BHPian

This happened to me yesterday, near Meenakshi mall, Bangalore. The guy stopped on an open signal. The way he put down/tilted his left leg i never for a moment thought that he would stop bang there and hence no brakes were applied at all!

In hindsight i am equally at fault for not paying attention like one should on Indian roads. Probably i was watching the side and rear view mirrors and people on the left for a fraction of a second before the turn. I didn't even realize i was going to hit something, until i actually hit! Should haven maintained distance for any suspected antics.
Old 14th August 2017, 12:45   #9470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
This happened to me yesterday, near Meenakshi mall, Bangalore. The guy stopped on an open signal. The way he put down/tilted his left leg i never for a moment thought that he would stop bang there and hence no brakes were applied at all!
May be I am missing something here, but it doesn't look like a green signal even to turn left. If that is the case then other than stopping on zebra crossing the biker did nothing wrong.

Edit: My bad. Just saw the video again. The left was green, my apologies.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 14th August 2017 at 12:46.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:49   #9471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post

In hindsight i am equally at fault for not paying attention like one should on Indian roads. Probably i was watching the side and rear view mirrors and people on the left for a fraction of a second before the turn. I didn't even realize i was going to hit something, until i actually hit! Should haven maintained distance for any suspected antics.
I see that a collision was avoided around 0:13 seconds into the video.

It is tough as a small two wheeler rider to get to the middle of the road and leave the left free, since I think he wanted to straight on.

Out of curiosity, did you get down to check on the guy and help him on his way?
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 13:45   #9472
Senior - BHPian

The number of people who do not use indicators is alarming! Almost about 70% are not using indicators. This is like an exponential increase over the last 5 years or so, may be.

Driving school instructors think that their job is to teach how to operate steering, clutch, gear, brake and accelerator. Last day I saw a driving school's car being driven off the road through a waiting shed area, because the instructor asked the student driver to take that path to beat the traffic jam in a clever way! Think about how that student's road manners is going to be.

Our driving culture is going to the dogs. When majority are bad drivers, it makes sense to close this thread and start a "Good drivers - how do we spot them?" thread.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th August 2017 at 13:46.
clevermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 15:36   #9473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder why people find this simple basic skill of driving impossible: We drive on the left; when turning into a another road, we turn from the left side of our road into the left side of the other road. Do not drive on the wrong side. Do not cut the corners (at least, not unless one has complete visibility and the road is completely clear).
I have been driving in Chennai for just over a month and the way people turn corners is atrocious.

I have been used to turn guidance dotted lanes in other countries, so I maintain that curve when turning. Doing that, I get honked at for it daily by drivers who overtake me on the right while I'm turning, cut the corner and try merging before me to the left. If I dare to not give them the way, they get irritated and behave erratic to the point I have given up and accepted these idiots on the roads for my own sanity.

These are not less educated cab drivers, these are drivers who are well educated and in professional jobs who are driving their own expensive cars. Happens day in and day out on all these technology parks junctions. Sigh.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 14th August 2017 at 15:43.
Old 14th August 2017, 16:07   #9474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Driving school instructors think that their job is to teach how to operate steering, clutch, gear, brake and accelerator....
Totally agree on this, the driving instructors never bother about these small yet significant details. When I was learning driving I used to slow down and gently press the brake in anticipation if I see someone walking ahead or trying to cross the path. The instructor simply asked me not to use brakes instead just use horn to make people know about your presence they will move

Quote:
....it makes sense to close this thread and start a "Good drivers - how do we spot them?" thread.
Ha ha. It makes sense as we see bad drivers throughout the day but good drivers are rarity these days.
Old 14th August 2017, 20:43   #9475
BHPian

Quote:
I see that a collision was avoided around 0:13 seconds into the video.

It is tough as a small two wheeler rider to get to the middle of the road and leave the left free, since I think he wanted to straight on.

Out of curiosity, did you get down to check on the guy and help him on his way?
I really wanted to, the guy looked necessitous and humble. Felt very sorry soon after.
But the spot was bang in front of a bar, drunk people had started to surround the car and i was in no mood to pacify irate public. Gave a cursory glance, shouted a well being inquiry - he wasn't hurt, and off we went our way.
TrailBlazer007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 12:04   #9476
BHPian

Here is an auto rickshaw trying to squeeze his way by whatever means. This road is a one way street as well. The auto rickshaw on the left hopes to come out of his "stuck"position and head off.

Last edited by swissknife : 15th August 2017 at 12:06.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 16:27   #9477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an auto rickshaw trying to squeeze his way by whatever means. This road is a one way street as well. The auto rickshaw on the left hopes to come out of his "stuck"position and head off.
A big share of such problems lie with us too. I can see that there is a passenger sitting in that Auto. As responsible citizens, the passenger should have told the driver to not go in the wrong direction. If we all start doing that, my guess is most cabbies and Autos will refrain from doing this. But on the contrary the passengers too encourage such behaviour in order to reach their destination faster, save on the fare etc. How do we expect things to change then?
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 17:08   #9478
Senior - BHPian

I have experienced a bad driver scene on my way to Pondicherry over last weekend. The road to Pondicherry changes to 2 lane after Arcot and one needs to drive at some 80KMPH most of the times since there are villages around on this whole stretch till Pondicherry.
I was followed by an olive coloured Scorpio for quite some time between Cheyyar and Vandavasi on the route. This was normal. But I saw another black scorpio overtaking this olive one and going ahead of me as well. This triggered something in the olive guy and he jumped to 100KMPH following the black guy. He over took me in this pursuit. And I saw a BHP sticker on this olive scorpio's back side.
Surprized enough with this behavior from BHPian I had a look in the olive scorpio while he was next to me, there was a kid, some 7-8 years old sitting on somebody's lap in the front seat. No belts nothing and he was standing as well. Imagine sudden breaking on this 2 lane road with some cattle jumping in and what happens to this kid?
I could not capture this whole drama since I have not put any dashcam yet.
If that BHPian is reading this, requesting him not to allow anybody in front seats without belts and drive in limits on these 2 lane state roads.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 17:36   #9479
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an auto rickshaw trying to squeeze his way by whatever means.
Autos will try each and every means to squeeze in any and every available gap. I was once travelling home from office and 2 cars ahead an ambulance was backing up in front of an entrance to pick up a patient.

Now ,everyone else was waiting patiently. However one auto tried to squeeze in between the ambulance and the gate! This got the goat of the ambulance driver and he gave such a verbal spanking to the auto driver (full of expletives in marathi ) that the auto sheepishly stopped and moved back.

I simply do not understand what goes on in their minds. A minuscule fraction do drive decently though most of them are united in their efforts to disrupt traffic.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 14:06   #9480
BHPian

I had the misfortune to interact with a terrible guy today.
I was at my kid's school today for a function and my car along with few others were parked with their backs against a wall. I was quite sure that some moron would park blocking my exit but there were no other legitimate parking spots left. Sure enough, on returning there's a blue i10 which has boxed me and couple of other vehicles. Spoke with the security at the gate and he expressed his helplessness stating that people won't listen to him. Someone from school administration arrived to note the number of offending vehicle and assured that they will have the vehicle number announced in the auditorium where the function was happening.
15-20 minutes have passed this way, when a degenerate moron arrives in a white alto. This guy parks behind the blue i10 blocking it another 2 cars parallel to mine and walks away coolly. A confront him and ask him politely to move his car so that others are not troubled. Moreover, if and when the i10 guy arrives we will all need to wait for this guy to move his car. My brother in law who was along with us pointed out to a legitimate slot available freely. Then comes this gem from the cultureless fellow "I will park wherever I please".
Fortunately, the owner of one of the cars he was blocking arrived. With some fake show off the idiot moved his car and we could get out.
Upon leaving, he airs a fake threat that he's a local and he has noted our vehicle. We left the place asking whether he needed pen and paper to note down the number.
IndieGooner is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed