Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 18:33   #9586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Saw this car parked like this at DLF, Chennai, today.
1. Cars are asked to be parked facing outwards so that they can be removed quickly in an emergency
2. I wonder why this person parked so close to the wall while there is sufficient room on the other side.
My guess is someone had badly parked a fat SUV like an Endy or Fortuner in the next slot so that he had to squeeze his car in that way and then exit from the passenger side.

The SUV then subsequently left so that the space was freed up and then occupied by a smaller car, parked more responsibly.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 19:09   #9587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My guess is someone had badly parked a fat SUV like an Endy or Fortuner in the next slot so that he had to squeeze his car in that way and then exit from the passenger side.

The SUV then subsequently left so that the space was freed up and then occupied by a smaller car, parked more responsibly.
Actually No. The car next to it was parked with the space next to it where the maruti was parked later. The adjacent car was in the same place when I parked my car and subsequently when I went to the parking lot I saw this maruti parked this way. I know for a fact that the car beside it wasn't taken out since he is my colleague and he was with me all day.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 23:53   #9588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Actually No. The car next to it was parked with the space next to it where the maruti was parked later. The adjacent car was in the same place when I parked my car ... ... ...
OK, but, as I said before, the gap simply isn't an issue. If that is how he wants to park, that's up to him. He is not causing any problems to anyone else.

As I see it, the biggest potential problem is that he has left room for six bikes between his car and the next one. That will stop him getting out!
Old 13th September 2017, 13:49   #9589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
I normally give the other driver lot of space because of fear that he might accidentally bang into my door when he gets in or out. I can mange to open the door slowly without touching the other car/or pillar in the parking and can squeeze out.
I do the same thing.

I always give the driver a lot of space (maximum I can afford) as their personal space to open doors. Frankly speaking, most passengers/drivers open their own door with a "thud" and really do not care if it hits the adjacent car. If one "experiments" (safely) when ever an opening door hits a standing car -- it is the innocent car which suffers the most, due to the angle of the door opening. Usually the seam of the opening door catches the flush flat surface of the stationary car. Nothing happens to the edge / seam. Doors should be opened slowly and after viewing, but no one does that in India. No one. People are just too care free and selfish.

Due to having foresight of this (and love for my machine), I have many times parked against the wall, and gotten out from the passenger side. Big SUV's are parked the worst. One should park, get out, and see their handiwork. Then walk away. Hardly happens.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 13th September 2017 at 13:51.
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 23:38   #9590
BHPian

Another most annoying lot of motorists on the roads are those drivers who stop by the roadside for some reason and then without making sure that nobody is coming from behind open the door all of a sudden. This utter carelessness has often resulted in injuries to two wheeler riders who bang into this obstacle which springs up from nowhere. Here it would be pertinent to mention that the two wheeler riders should also be discreet when they drive past vehicles parked on the roadsides. The best way to avoid nasty situations is to pass by at safe distance of at least six feet from stationary vehicles.
Old 14th September 2017, 18:18   #9591
BHPian

Encountered so many bad drivers today.

Disclaimer: Yes I know that tissue box on the left of my dashboard is causing a lot of glare, it has been promptly relocated. Also the audio was muted since my passengers were having a conversation.

1. Elderly gent unable to judge the length of his caaaar (Nissan Sunny) tries to squeeze in and almost sideswipes me, I brake and give a nice long honk which brings him back to his senses.

2. This is a one way road under Kathipara bridge, but that does not matter to this biker as he just turns bang into my lane.

3. The silver Honda City had so much time before the Nano reached him, but no he had to cut in when the Nano came closer forcing both of us to slow down.

4. In continuation, just a few meters ahead the bridge has a narrow opening (GK Mopannar flyover, Cenotaph road), comfortable for an Innova with about 4 inches to spare on each side. The U-turn is under the bridge but this two-wheeler rider knows better so he just waits there to turn around.

5. We set off from the signal, I am in my lane but this Chevrolet Beat cabbie on my left starts swerving into me for no apparent reason. He again moves to the left to take a left turn.

6. A little further down the road I am in the middle lane taking the left towards Kathipara. This Ford iKon just cuts two lanes, almost scraping my bumper. The DZire cabbie turning behind him is correct and it is ideally how the iKon should have taken the turn.

Nowadays the riders/ drivers are too crazy during the weekdays compared to the weekends here in Chennai.

Last edited by Shanksta : 14th September 2017 at 18:23.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 18:25   #9592
BHPian

This is not a one off incident. If one were to stand here for a few minutes, particularly in the evening, scenes such as this would be a constant sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cutting-corners-round-about.jpg  

Last edited by swissknife : 14th September 2017 at 18:26. Reason: including the picture
Old 15th September 2017, 07:56   #9593
Senior - BHPian

Encountered this driver yesterday who came out from the compound on my left.
The bad part, she was looking to her left all the time when she should have been looking right first.
Thankfully she finally looked right, and by then I had almost stopped.

tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 08:50   #9594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Encountered this driver yesterday who came out from the compound on my left.
The bad part, she was looking to her left all the time when she should have been looking right first.
Thankfully she finally looked right, and by then I had almost stopped.
Please do not take this as offensive. What speed were you driving at, I am asking because not sure how a CAM recording resolves it when viewed. It seemed quite rapid, for such a narrow band of road with T-Point connectors. Again, just asking.

Of course, as you mentioned the silver Swift should have been manning both directions.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:05   #9595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Please do not take this as offensive. What speed were you driving at, I am asking because not sure how a CAM recording resolves it when viewed. It seemed quite rapid, for such a narrow band of road with T-Point connectors. Again, just asking.

Of course, as you mentioned the silver Swift should have been manning both directions.
Yes, I was around 60-70 kmph and I had picked up speed since the road was clear.
Since this is a daily used road for me, I knew there can be surprises from that compound gate. It is a graveyard gate. Once when I was on the two wheeler, I saw a drunk on a scooter come straight onto the road without looking and almost went into the drain on the opposite side. So whenever I pass here, I am ready to brake, probably why I reacted fast.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:26   #9596
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was around 60-70 kmph and I had picked up speed since the road was clear.
Since this is a daily used road for me, I knew there can be surprises from that compound gate. It is a graveyard gate. Once when I was on the two wheeler, I saw a drunk on a scooter come straight onto the road without looking and almost went into the drain on the opposite side. So whenever I pass here, I am ready to brake, probably why I reacted fast.
I believe this is the road parallel to Baiyappanahalli-Bangalore East railway line. You seem to be travelling towards Cox Town. The Swift Dzire is coming out of Kalpalli Cemetry. This road is not too wide and near the cemetry the road is not straight (others can see this in the video itself) - it sort runs into a 'joggle'. Poor road design at this place and I have often witnessed accidents here because of poor road design plus poor road sense of riders/drivers/pedestrians.
No offense, you seem to know this route very well, but this road is not meant for doing 60-70 kmph. Too dangerous. I humbly suggest you to slow down next time. Anyway there are couple of speedbreakers just ahead near the railway crossing for which you anyway have to slow down for MEG-Sappers jawans to cross.
Old 15th September 2017, 16:09   #9597
BHPian

The motorists who drive their vehicles with defunct tail and brake lights are yet another lot of bad drivers on roads. Non functioning tail and brake lights are a sure invitation to rear end collisions as the driver behind cannot quickly judge in case of the vehicle in front slowing down. Rear end collision in such a scenario is quite likely in case of bumper to bumper traffic conditions where the brake lights help a lot in maintaining proper distance from the vehicle ahead. One should therefore make it a habit to check the functioning of all lights on the vehicle on daily basis before setting out.
Old 15th September 2017, 16:09   #9598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is how I had one of my accidents. 100% my fault.
Old 16th September 2017, 18:42   #9599
BHPian

Types of drivers we find everyday on Indian roads, from the scared ones to the dangerous ones
We all fall under at least one of these categories of drivers, which we have listed down. Read further to know which category you fall under and how many other people can you think of and which categories do they fall under?.........
For full article:http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...s-ones/856012/

Last edited by virgopal : 16th September 2017 at 18:43.
Old 17th September 2017, 11:34   #9600
BHPian

Some videos captured on my Dash Cam:

This white Etios was drifting dangerously into the lane of the Fortuner. I don't understand how they avoided contact. And no prize for guessing, the driver was was the phone. The guy in the Fortuner gave him a piece of his mind, and it did absolutely nothing. He was still on the phone when I passed him.

Pardon the poor quality of this video, there were rain drops on the windshield. This auto appeared to be turning right and all of a sudden swerves into my lane and slows. Apparently he avoided that pothole. Potholes are made of landmines, you can't drive over them.

Finally, the infamous MTC bus makes an appearance. Driver was hogging the right lane, but I knew this bus route and he was going to take the next right, so I thought I'd overtake him on the left and suddenly he decides to go left, so I go right and he does the same. Why can't these people understand the behemoths they drive and just be a little more cautious and sensible?

esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks