Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2017, 12:22   #9601
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This was a scene at DLF chennai today. A bus wanted to turn right and 3 bikes wanted to get ahead of the bus on its inside!!! Only one of the bikes made it. The other two almost found themselves in the "Accidents page".
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bikes-bus-dlf.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 22:58   #9602
BHPian

In continuation to my previous post on this thread, I reiterate that Chennai traffic on a weekday during rush hour is crazy. People have gone mad is all I can tell. Today these two definitely stood out.

* Evening rush hour all of us are patiently waiting in line to take the left onto Spur tank road from Casa Major road. This Amaze driver thinks he is brilliant and drives up on the wrong side and abruptly cuts in front of me almost grazing my car. I get a bit angry and spot a chance to block him and do that. I know that it was not the right thing to do, but had to.

* There are three lanes on Inner ring road that narrow down to two lanes near the roundabout. The Sumo is in the right lane and I am on the left, I see two scooters in my left ORVM behind me. The first one a lady on the activa overtakes and the other guy is behind me. But suddenly while going around the roundabout he decides to overtake me from the left and cuts bang into my car's path and almost hits a pedestrian on the left too. I braked a little due to which he missed being hit. I have experienced this kind of behavior before and am prepared for this especially in Chennai where a majority of two wheeler riders have no road sense or concern on their lives.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 23:43   #9603
Team-BHP Support

There was a HR registered Wagon R driving in a very erratic manner on a narrow road near my office. I noticed the rear tire was flat. It was also in a bad shape. The car was making funny noises from that side and it looked like the tire had something ripping in it.

I motioned the driver to pull up. Raised my helmet and told him that his tire was in trouble.
He said he knew about it and was trying to find a puncture shop.

What sort of a person drives a car with a compromised tire. It takes less than 5 mins to swap it with a good stepney. But I guess some people either don't learn how to replace tires or consider it beneath them.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 05:21   #9604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What sort of a person drives a car with a compromised tire. It takes less than 5 mins to swap it with a good stepney. But I guess some people either don't learn how to replace tires or consider it beneath them.
If it was a narrow road was there space for him to park on the side to change his tyre without being rear ended by someone or hit by oncoming traffic?
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:34   #9605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If it was a narrow road was there space for him to park on the side to change his tyre without being rear ended by someone or hit by oncoming traffic?
There was adequate space.
He could have parked without any issue.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:36   #9606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The other two almost found themselves in the "Accidents page".
That's why I call our people "Technically Certified" and not "Educated". Education!=Literacy. Literacy is just being able to read+write+pass_exams == Being certified. Education is something that can be inculcated in anyone if they are willing to accept the reality and understand how things work. One with no common sense as per me is uneducated. One can still be certified and be uneducated. It is that simple!

The situation you've mentioned is an everyday occurrence at almost all tech parks in Bengaluru. A manager in our org (I don't report to her) recently overtook me in a crazy way within the campus. End result? We both got onto the same lift and I reached my cubicle earlier than her

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
It takes less than 5 mins to swap it with a good stepney. But I guess some people either don't learn how to replace tires or consider it beneath them.
One of my colleagues did consider it beneath him. I had told him to try out a few attempts on changing the wheels so that he can get his hands dirty the moment he faces the actual situation. He never listened. Last month, D-Day happened and he called me up and asked me if there are possibilities of having 6 puncture holes on the tyre. I was wondering what he was talking about and on insisting him to elaborate the situation, he told me that he drove all the way up to a puncture repair shop since he faced a puncture. I asked him why he did not bother changing the tyre before going for such a misadventure. He gave an excuse saying that he thought it was nearby and somehow made it.., and also he's not experienced in changing tyres.

It so happens that the guy in the puncture shop he visited is known to be notorious with tyres. When my colleague drove up, there would have been one or at max two punctured areas. This guy pierces the tyres at other places to make more money. For that guy, plugging 2 punctures == 200 bucks where 6 == 600! That's what he did to my unsuspecting colleague. How does he manage that? Well, he always says that he does not have a lifting jack and requests the customers to share their own. The moment they open the boot, this guy does his trick. If by chance the customer is on phone, the number of holes increase exponentially. That's how the number 6 came up as my colleague was on phone for over 5 minutes with someone else while handing the jack to the repair guy.

Finally, he asked me for suggestions. I told him to learn the technique and get the tyre replaced immediately since driving with a tyre with 6 plugged punctures does not make any sense. The tyre in question is a Bridgestone B250 195/55 R16 which has run just 5k kms. What a waste! Now he says he's learned his lesson. Anyway, better late than never!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 22nd September 2017 at 10:43.
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:27   #9607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This person was talking on the phone while taking a right turn and was also looking elsewhere and not where he was headed.
I wonder if it was just a co-incidence that at exactly the same spot, today, there was another car being driven while the driver was on the phone in exactly the same way it was driven earlier, though by another person. The scratch marks on the car probably tells a tale on his driving!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-driving-while-phone.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 22:47   #9608
BHPian

Maybe this guy was a 'nonstop ' service bus driver before. Maybe he thinks 'Life is a race!' hence kissing the apex. The amount of care he took while taking the turn .

This guy was behind the first car that took a left from the road I turned into. As you see he suddenly came head-on and decided he was gonna take a fast right.

Last edited by Shanksta : 22nd September 2017 at 22:50.
Shanksta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 17:28   #9609
Senior - BHPian

At highway turns its scary seeing two wheelers come on the wrong side on either side of you. This is the turn on the Salem-Vellore-Chennai Highway and you can see two wheelers nonchalantly riding on the wrong side:
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:05   #9610
BHPian

[quote=BenjiRoss;4274876]At highway turns its scary seeing two wheelers come on the wrong side on either side of you. This is the turn on the Salem-Vellore-Chennai Highway and you can see two wheelers nonchalantly riding on the wrong side:]

This is the norm and not the exception on the highways, i have seen all kind of vehicles doing this. They come with their headlights on, and thats supposed to be ok. Its better to give way than get into a close quarter situation, in which there can be no winners.
Old 25th September 2017, 07:51   #9611
Senior - BHPian

Found this red Polo parked this way when I returned to my car at Decathlon. There were lot of parking slots around, but this fella, or felli, decides to park in the driveway!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506306030.472408.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506306043.484106.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506306052.613614.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 13:37   #9612
BHPian

I had posted the same video back before a while in 'Accidents in India' thread. Only a few days before have I come across this thread. Thought it'd be apt to post the link here too.

I have seen different road rages, but this one has gone a bit overboard with the Innova trying to teach the local motorcyclist a lesson.

E = mc˛ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 14:49   #9613
BHPian

Yesterday while going home from office, I was still inside the IT city area. This road has a lot of zebra crossings and there are speed bumps before and after the zebra crossing. These are single hump speed bumps and so some people tend to just drive over them without much reduction in speed.

Now a foreign delegation from some company was in the process of walking over the zebra crossing but our dear IT workers would have none of it. People were zooming past and the delegation was terrified. I stopped a couple of meters ahead of the crossing and gestured them to cross over. They happily thanked me and went over.

I simply do not understand this behavior of our fellow citizens. This is an internal road where the posted speed limit is 20kmph. What image do these people take back to their country when they see that an educated IT workforce does not have simple civic sense or common sense regarding traffic.

Last edited by luvDriving : 26th September 2017 at 14:50. Reason: Sentence formation
luvDriving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 17:29   #9614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
fella, or felli
Couldn't stop laughing at this expression!

By the way, I'm sure you might have noticed the registration plates. It is GJ-01 (Ahmedabad) and we here have the eternal right to park our car the way we want even if it is right in the middle of the road to even grab a cutting chai.

Face this almost every day on the road.

Cheers,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 17:36   #9615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Couldn't stop laughing at this expression!

By the way, I'm sure you might have noticed the registration plates. It is GJ-01 (Ahmedabad) and we here have the eternal right to park our car the way we want even if it is right in the middle of the road to even grab a cutting chai.

Face this almost every day on the road.

Cheers,

R-Six

No offence to people here but driving daily, I've noticed majorly all the cars being driven badly with no indicators, speeding and just plain rash are GJ registered. Get to see a lot of these since I pass the Dahisar Check Naka daily. Many times overloaded with people. Have seen 8 adults in a Swift! God Bless that car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th September 2017 at 19:01. Reason: Minor formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks