Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 13:55   #9796
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The word "accident" implies that the crash was something that happened by chance, and was completely unavoidable.

I was taught that no crash is unavoidable, and all crashes I am involved in are caused by me, full stop.

Cheers
This is completely opposite of the way people approach accidents here. I'm assuming this trucking school was not in India and even if it was, this mindset had to be adopted here to avoid accidents, even minor ones. our day-to-day driving would so much stress free if people thought like this and avoided even minor transgressions.

Here its 'jab hoga to tab hoga, sab bhagwan bharose' (It'll happen when it has to, God's will).
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 14:43   #9797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was taught in trucking school that there are no accidents, there are only crashes. The word "accident" implies that the crash was something that happened by chance, and was completely unavoidable.

An "accident" is when I shit my pants.

I was taught that no crash is unavoidable, and all crashes I am involved in are caused by me, full stop.
Nicely put !

IMO, it's a crash for one, but most times, accident for the other.
Old 18th November 2017, 01:06   #9798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was taught in trucking school that there are no accidents, there are only crashes. The word "accident" implies that the crash was something that happened by chance, and was completely unavoidable. ... ... ...
Absolutely. There was a post recently in which a biker skidded on oil. Assuming it was invisible and not normally predictable, I'd say that this was an accident. In this long thread, there are very few. Almost always, one or more people are responsible for accidents.

People, not gods. Although if they have got it in for us, it isn't exactly a good start!
Old 21st November 2017, 12:19   #9799
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to some bad/rash driving, these guys were were caught, apparently they were trying to escape after committing a heinous crime

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 21 Nov 2017 - Link

Last edited by NPV : 21st November 2017 at 12:24.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:12   #9800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks to some bad/rash driving, these guys were were caught, apparently they were trying to escape after committing a heinous crime

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 21 Nov 2017 - Link
I love the last line of the article - "Ironically, the reason of their [the citizens who chased the criminals] fury was not the murder but reckless driving." This sums up the daily scenario we face and how we feel like reacting at times!
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:23   #9801
BHPian

A friend just shared this video on FB.

First, I really appreciate this guy for standing up to wrong-side driving. This has now increased to such a proportion that people don't think twice before cutting to the wrong side of the road.

What really irks me is that no one stood up to support the guy, even when he was getting trashed.
ptushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 17:05   #9802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
A friend just shared this video on FB.

First, I really appreciate this guy for standing up to wrong-side driving. This has now increased to such a proportion that people don't think twice before cutting to the wrong side of the road.

What really irks me is that no one stood up to support the guy, even when he was getting trashed.
Absolutely horrible state of affairs. I actually didn't read the second part of your post before I jumped to the video and was feeling bad about the level of apathy from other drivers. After seeing that he was getting thrashed and still not one other driver coming in support, I feel really sad and dejected. Our country is not going to improve, not in my lifetime at least. Seems not a country for law abiding citizens.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd November 2017 at 20:15. Reason: Removing video from quoted post. (Repeated)
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:37   #9803
Senior - BHPian

Not sure why some people are always in hurry. Multiple signal jumping at Yemalur junction this afternoon.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:07   #9804
Senior - BHPian

The railway level cross in Kerala - where you can see bad drivers/riders in hordes. The picture might make one think it's a one-way road, given how motorists (mostly bikers & autos) are waiting on even the extreme end of the wrong side of the road.

It will be the same on the other side of the railway gate. And once the gate opens, both sides rush forward like opposing armies in battle, blocking each other's way & creating chaos.

Apparently common sense ain't that common.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1511501612.185323.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:30   #9805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The railway level cross in Kerala - where you can see bad drivers/riders in hordes. The picture might make one think it's a one-way road, given how motorists (mostly bikers & autos) are waiting on even the extreme end of the wrong side of the road.

It will be the same on the other side of the railway gate. And once the gate opens, both sides rush forward like opposing armies in battle, blocking each other's way & creating chaos.
In this picture, the vehicles are less. In Bangalore, its pure battle. Each side will be so packed with two wheelers and even cars that a pedestrian can't walk through it. When the gate opens, each one who is on the wrong side will behave like they have right of way. Since all of them think alike, there are hardly any arguments.They squeeze and scrape past.
Oh, there is absolutely no question of reversing. That's equivalent to loosing a war
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 11:40   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
In this picture, the vehicles are less.
I had taken the snap just after the gate closed, hence only few vehicles. Over time, more vehicles get added & by the time the gates open, both sides are choked with vehicles. 😊
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 14:29   #9807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Apparently common sense ain't that common.
There is NO sense in our country - civic, common or anything else. This is the scene in pretty much *any* corner of our country. Sometimes I wonder what if our railways had installed barricades like these?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-capture.jpg

People would have simply zig-zaged their way to death!

Our traffic is like water - it flows wherever it finds a way, doesn't matter if it's right or wrong. Have space? will use!
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 15:39   #9808
BHPian

People live on the edge in India, and think others do so too.

Some examples:

[1] A biker (and pillion) holding two GI pipes on their shoulders. Protruding around 4-5 feet from their front and back. IE: the pipes are held by the pillion, but resting on his and the biker pilot's shoulder. I was like:- dumbfounded to see this. Even if they had to break, there is such a high probability they would spear someone ahead, forget even about a car bashing in from behind.

[2] On the Pahadi Rasta [hill road] road which connects from the Faridabad light down to Golf Course Extension (Gurgaon). Now: this is a descent of ~2 km, which is smooth and buttery road. Anyone (and everyone) on this road (down) is barrelling at 80-90 km/h, with no regard to sense and safety -- because their is a divider in between (and they are highly frustrated at the main light above which is situated on a road bank). Caveat: That divider has two gaps, which people can exploit. Imagine on this massive downhill, an Indica (during twilight) is climbing up. High beam. How stupid and moronic and idiotic can one be..? I really wished all median gaps in India would be filled in. All U-turns at lights only. Strictly.

[3] Wobble Wobble: Biker takes out phone from skin tight jeans.
Wobble Wobble: Biker looks at phone for 30 seconds.
Wobble Wobble: Shoves phone back into skin tight jeans.

[4] On the road from Neelkant Hospital to Cyber City (which has like 15 speed breakers) there is a point where the road goes uphill. It is quite an incline, and I take my car up in 2nd. I see from quite a distance: A man is pushing up a metal ladder (which is on a wheel base), up that incline. It is like 12-15 feet high. And he is clearly struggling to push up the ladder. I parked on the side and waited for 5 minutes. If that ladder fell it would take out multiple cars, the man pushing it would just step away.
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 19:32   #9809
BHPian

Actor Varun Dhawan Gets A Stinker From The Mumbai Police For Traffic Violation.

Varun Dhawan was caught on camera taking a selfie with a fan in the middle of the traffic while leaning out of his car. The Mumbai Police used Twitter to make the actor realise his mistake and has also issues an E-Challan for the traffic violation.

SOURCE : https://auto.ndtv.com/news/actor-var...lation-1779506
Old 24th November 2017, 19:40   #9810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Actor Varun Dhawan Gets A Stinker From The Mumbai Police For Traffic Violation.

Varun Dhawan was caught on camera taking a selfie with a fan in the middle of the traffic while leaning out of his car. The Mumbai Police used Twitter to make the actor realise his mistake and has also issues an E-Challan for the traffic violation.

SOURCE : https://auto.ndtv.com/news/actor-var...lation-1779506
He had mentioned that the selfie was taken when it was the traffic light was red and the traffic was not moving. Though he still accepted the offense and owned it up.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks