Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 11:51   #991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nothing wrong with folded ORVM in heavy traffic. If you do not fold it, somebody will break it. So many bikers and sometimes even buses in Delhi pass within 2 inches.
Thankfully the safari has ORVMs which can fold in either direction, hence had many saves, but normally in jams, I fold both ORVMs to protect them. Already lost 2 on the indica, one when a rickshaw sqeezed by, and one by a bus which passed too close in a jam.
Mirrors help when in heavy traffic...isnt that is what the mirrors are for !!
Folding your mirrors might mean the car body gets scratched instead of the mirrors
Old 5th May 2010, 13:22   #992
Team-BHP Support

Nobody will scratch against the body(atleast not commonly).,
However for bikers, cyclists, rickshaws and even buses, anything extending away from the body does not register. So they just zoom past and take it away with them.
So in a bumper to bumper jam, esp when there are 4-5 lanes merging into a lesser number of lanes(eg metro construction sites), there is a good chance that the bus comes within 2 inches of the car. So car body will not get damaged, but mirror will go.
I don't think you need ORVM in such a jam, esp since you know that you will lose them in the jam.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:37   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If people are not going to use the ORVMs --- then it shouldn't matter much to them if they do get broken off!
Logically, yes.

But when OVRMs are considered as ornamental, then if the ornament get broken, it needs to be fixed. Hence it is protected and kept.
Old 5th May 2010, 13:51   #994
BHPian

Quote:
However for bikers, cyclists, rickshaws and even buses, anything extending away from the body does not register. So they just zoom past and take it away with them.
So in a bumper to bumper jam, esp when there are 4-5 lanes merging into a lesser number of lanes(eg metro construction sites), there is a good chance that the bus comes within 2 inches of the car. So car body will not get damaged, but mirror will go.
I don't think you need ORVM in such a jam, esp since you know that you will lose them in the jam.
I almost lost the left ORVM like that. I was crawling opposite Lido, Bangalore when a BMTC bus did a diagonal maneuver and scrapped the mirror. I am happy nothing happened to the main body.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:17   #995
Senior - BHPian

I think this ORVM thing needs a separate thread altogether. May I suggest Mods to pls move all the ORVM posts into a new thread.
Me - Can't even drive 100 meters without ORVMS - be it highway or B2B Jam traffic. In fact, in B2B traffic, it helps me to see anything on the side very close to the car (Especially bollards or low level fences or two/three wheeler's protruding parts), so that I can turn safely,without scratching myself onto those things.
And I just can't digest a bit, to see ORVMs are considered Ornamental . May be

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 5th May 2010 at 17:19.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:25   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Good idea, but I use ORVMs in such situations as a warning signal. I would rather loose an ORVM costing 4500/- rather than have a bus or truck damage the entire body on one side which will be a lot more expensive.
Old 5th May 2010, 19:56   #997
BHPian

i use the left one mainly to watch out for pulsarites(not that i have any thing against the bike but most of the pulsar/rx100 drivers seem to prefer the left site for overtaking) and the dio riding college kids
Old 5th May 2010, 23:53   #998
Senior - BHPian

Another lot of very bad drivers can be seen in Kerala from 6.30 PM to 9 PM in every Kerala Town. They drive/ride cars, autos, bikes, tippers et all but have one thing in common. They all would be wearing saffron coloured lungis (Nothing religious about it but is very cheap and can survive without washing for a few days). This lot would be screeming and vroomimg past traffic, scrambling in and out and dodging past vehicles at breakneck speeds through potholes and bumps on their way to, to where? yes you guessed right, to the nearest BEVCO joint. BEVCO is Beverages corporation which has exclusive rigths to sell liquor in gods own country.

These lot are the most dangerous and to-be-feared community in Kerala roads now.

Once they catch hold of their favourite brand ( Brandy outsells every other brew in Kerala because of the belief that brandy is good for health ) the brouhaha gets intensified and the driving reaches enhanced levels of danger. Now the mad rush to the Thattukada (way side make shift kitchen-dining place atop the drain slabs on the way side ) starts where dosas (Of the chinna chinna dosai fame) and omlettes are on offer.

They shell out all the days earnings, of the salary and attimari kind.

Total mayhem of dangerous street racing.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th May 2010 at 00:01. Reason: spelling correction
Old 7th May 2010, 14:48   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
OT: Suresh, is that Your office car park? Looks like a resort man!
How do You guys manage to keep sane, when theres heavy rain/wind in the coconut farm!
And how about falling coconuts?

Coming back to topic - Iam very uncomfortable driving without ORVMs. In fact I use them even for backing up. But I wont go as far to say that people not using ORVMs are rash or to be avoided drivers
Old 7th May 2010, 15:48   #1000
BHPian

Stay away from these when in Delhi

1.)HR 55 registered Innovas/Taveras/Qualis, these are rashly driven call center vehicles.

2.)Dumper truck with muck, goo, bitmen or trash. They drive like <censored> and might spill their contents on their cars.

3.)Bluelines & City tour Non A/C buses. Apart from being boldly driven, they do contain people who get SICK and you don't want their sick on your car.

4.)Sewer jetting machines (obvious)
Old 7th May 2010, 16:24   #1001
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of ORVMs, I learnt driving on a Premier Padmini which only had the inside rear view mirror. I slowly migrated from it to a Fiat Uno, which probably was the first car I drove that had ORVMs. Thereafter I have never driven without ORVMs. For my M800 I actually bought and fitted a new LHS ORVM.

I am usually wary of drivers who have their ORVMs folded. I try to stay clear of them. Because I use ORVMs all the time (plus the internal RVM), I have a notion that the guy who doesn't use them probably can't see as well enough all around him, and so is likely to make some unpredictable moves.

Needless to say, except on two occasions in the past, where an oncoming Indica drove dangerously close to me, I haven't even brushed any of my ORVMs against anything.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:23   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
OT: Suresh, is that Your office car park? Looks like a resort man!
How do You guys manage to keep sane, when theres heavy rain/wind in the coconut farm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
And how about falling coconuts?...
The campus management clears up the coconuts and drying up leaves. If indeed a damage happens, theoretically, we can claim from them.

Have not heard of any heavy damages so far here.

I had a coconut fall on my Alto which dented the boot. Did not know of the claim angle at that time.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:32   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Stay away from these when in Delhi

3.)Bluelines & City tour Non A/C buses. Apart from being boldly driven, they do contain people who get SICK and you don't want their sick on your car.

4.)Sewer jetting machines (obvious)
Oh we have these in Bangalore too.

There is a BBMP garbage truck that comes out specially in the morning rush hour and spreads the magnificent aroma of garbage wherever it goes.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:48   #1004
Senior - BHPian

It seems the duty of the garbage trucks in any city is to collect the garbage deposited in one location and distribute across the city roads!! But spotting these type of bad drivers is easy, your instincts itself will automatically take you at least 2 km away from these infernal things!!
Old 10th May 2010, 12:49   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Oh we have these in Bangalore too.

There is a BBMP garbage truck that comes out specially in the morning rush hour and spreads the magnificent aroma of garbage wherever it goes.

This is another innovative way of helping reduce congestion on the road.The garbage truck during rush hours would mean ,regular drivers on that stretch would try and avoid being on the road at that time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks