Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 21:54   #10081

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Now These are videos from me and my friend's dashcam. This channel belongs to him.

bravo_romeo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 22:43   #10082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Okay, I get it, it was a failed attempt at sarcasm

My failed attempt at understanding!

But I did get that you were actually spot on about how the Innova driver would have seen it. In fact, it would have been so normal he wouldn't even have thought about it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:50   #10083
BANNED

We have been talking about bad driver since over 670 pages, now here is an example of probably the most idiotic pedestrian I have ever encountered in my life.

Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, like many others, is not supposed to be crossed on foot at any point other than designated ones. Now this idiot, carrying a 2 liter bottle of petrol in his hand has crossed the expressway casing nearly entire traffic to brake and that also quite hard for a few - putting his and other's life at extreme risk.

Rest I am still thinking how would he have crossed the central median, until he did the same stunt that a few people do by climbing up and jumping over the tall railing. Here is the video:

VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:45   #10084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
We have been talking about bad driver since over 670 pages, now here is an example of probably the most idiotic pedestrian I have ever encountered in my life. ... ... ...

Holding the hand up actually stops cars. Erm... right?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 17:05   #10085
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Holding the hand up actually stops cars. Erm... right?
Yes, that's the unique way of claiming right of way in India, simply hold your hand up and you can expect that even a car doing 300 kph will stop and let you pass, no matter if it stops with a crash or crash on you and make you pass away! I once saw one such encounter where the car driver was explaining the pedestrian that his hand is not enough to stop a speeding car.
Old 19th April 2018, 18:03   #10086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I am in India for a few days and drove today for the first time during this trip. Spotted two bad drivers:

1. An Innova was in front of me. There were a few slow-moving vehicles in front of him. I was waiting patiently behind the Innova (no honking, no flashing lights). Then we came to a flyover with 3 lanes and both of us cleared the slow-moving traffic. I then proceeded to overtake the Innova, when for no reason, he tried to push me to the wall on the curve in the flyover (I was on the inside part of the curve, so it wasn't understeer). I honked, but he kept coming. I backed out. I did overtake him shortly afterwards and he didn't try to block again. So I'm not sure if the first block was intentional or just a case of trying to change lanes without looking.

2. Just after the exit of the flyover, a bus guy decided to take a left from the rightmost lane, causing everyone coming down the exit ramp to brake hard. Thankfully, no body rear-ended anybody.
Both incidents are standard operating procedures in India.

Most drivers are unable to stay in their lanes on a curve. They will drift in towards the inside of the curve regardless of a right hand curve or a left hand curve rather than staying in the lane they were in. I have been observing this since i started driving and I am unable to understand this phenomenon. Why can't they stay in their lanes on a curve? Irritating and unsafe. You can observe this in the cities and on highways.

And taking a right from the left lane by commercial and private vehicles is also very common. Sometimes it is an error of judgement where the driver realises that he/she is going to miss the exit and just indicates and drives through traffic.

Last edited by Yusha : 19th April 2018 at 18:07. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th April 2018, 06:31   #10087
Senior - BHPian

^^On a curve, the ORVM view doesn't fully show any car trying to overtake. My experience was the other way around. While on such a curve, vehicles from behind suddenly speed up to overtake and can't get them on ORVM too. Regardless, why overtake on a curve? Why not go with the flow, merge with the highway traffic, get clear ORVM views and then overtake.?
Old 20th April 2018, 10:54   #10088
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^On a curve, the ORVM view doesn't fully show any car trying to overtake.
This is indeed true and 100% agreeable in case of any vehicle on the outer side of the curve trying to overtake, they are normally out of the field of the view of the ORVMs, additionally you don't expect a driver to check his ORVMs properly while taking a corner at least, that time their focus will be mostly on the road ahead, at least until you honk.
Old 20th April 2018, 11:48   #10089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
This is indeed true and 100% agreeable in case of any vehicle on the outer side of the curve trying to overtake, they are normally out of the field of the view of the ORVMs, additionally you don't expect a driver to check his ORVMs properly while taking a corner at least, that time their focus will be mostly on the road ahead, at least until you honk.
Bottom line is "don't overtake on curves". In TN every bus and truck has this written on their backs. For safety, I suppose.
Old 21st April 2018, 13:56   #10090
BHPian

I'm in no mood to discuss whose guardian angel was it - the rider's, pillion's or the truck driver's. But props to it for keeping these morons unhurt despite their imbecile acts.

E = mc˛ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 15:52   #10091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I had a run in with this congenital idiot on a bike, I wonder what he was thinking. The only thing is that I can drive safe and hope for the best, these morons are dime a dozen, and drive everything.
Looking at these guys and their antics, I get a feeling that they take their bikes' ads too seriously
KTM - Ready to ride; Bajaj Dominar - GO Hyperriding to quote a couple of them
rav11stars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 10:16   #10092
BHPian

Last night driving back form Bombay, came across a bunch on monkey in two BMW's.

The two cars were racing with each other, swerving in and out of traffic and bullying their way past cars. Thankfully this was just before the toll, so as i pulled up behind them, i got out my car and got the cops to pull them over. Obviously other drivers were annoyed with them ad within a few minutes there were a bunch of people shouting and screaming at them. Cops pulled them over. I had kids in the car so didn't wait around much longer.

Car was a BMW 320 D with number plate MH 02 MA (I think) 9300. If you know this car, please let them know that they can do this shit on a track but don't put other drivers at risk!
Samir Taheer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:57   #10093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Car was a BMW 320 D with number plate MH 02 MA (I think) 9300. If you know this car, please let them know that they can do this shit on a track but don't put other drivers at risk!
Difference between driving fast safely, and driving recklessly - we have a long way to move up from reckless to fast (and safe).

Good for taking the initiative, and good job on the cops part to help out.

I've done the same twice, once the cop didn't do much and the other time the cop gave the offender a firing (for cutting off cars at a check point) after which the driver gunned it.

The MH02MA series is quite old, guessing this was an E90?
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:22   #10094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

The MH02MA series is quite old, guessing this was an E90?
Yes it was in fact i think it was a pre face-lift. It was a Black car with M Power stickers toward the bottom of the rear bumper.

I was half expecting the boys to catch up to me at some point, on the expressway (i was driving sedately and they were stopped at the Khalapur Toll Towards Pune), but didn't. So either they were reprimanded by the cops or choose to drive sensibly from then on.

And yes they cops reacted and stopped them immediately so well done to them.

The thing is, I have no problem with people driving fast on the expressway/highway, but being reckless and putting others lives at risk is not really acceptable.
Samir Taheer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 13:23   #10095
Senior - BHPian

What to do, wee are like that wonly!

Location : NH4 Bypass, near Praj/HEMRL. Usually its the sand trucks/tippers/Water tankers owned by Local Goons/Politicians (one and the same here in Pune) who do this, but yesterday cabbies/Private Cars/Small trucks all joined the party.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks