Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:45   #10156
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Please watch this review of Ford Freestyle. He is driving rashly on the highway putting the lives of other people and his fellow passengers in danger. Skip to 7:50 for some off-roading antics. He claims to hit 160 kmph during his "test" drive. He should be driving on a race track
I really wish this guy's driving license gets cancelled. There is enough evidence how dangerous he is to other motorists on road. His entire YouTube videos are full of such rash driving.
If there is an active official page of Punjab Police on Twitter or Facebook, then please share the link there. I will do it too. Some strict action is genuinely warranted against him. If anybody knows any proper authority to complain, then please share the link here.

What saddens me more is how people are appreciating his driving style and giving him so many likes.
This guy is influencing people in a very dangerous way.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 23:11   #10157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Please watch this review of Ford Freestyle. He is driving rashly on the highway putting the lives of other people and his fellow passengers in danger. Skip to 7:50 for some off-roading antics. He claims to hit 160 kmph during his "test" drive. He should be driving on a race track
"Honestly! What is he doing there? Driving or ping pong?" What kind of driving is that!? Heck, he can't even HOLD THE STEERING WHEEL PROPERLY! And these people call themselves reviewers.

Is he even wearing the seat belt?! I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. And driving at 150, 160 with so much traffic and bikes, and that too on a 4 lane road! The way he swerves from left to right, showing utter disregard to other road-users! It's a recipe for disaster. I had a heart-in-mouth moment at one point, where he is almost at 120, getting closer to a truck and without slowing down at all, just swerves left. And the way he turns the steering in that maneuver, he's not at all in full control. Can't imagine what the people in the car must have felt. Now we know why we see so many "Test-drive" vehicles having accidents. Also, if he's driving like this fully sober, can't imagine how he might be driving under the influence (Can't expect him to be a responsible citizen and not drive when drunk)!

Oh and see him raving about his little "off-road" adventure. Moron doesn't know a thing about "off-roading" I bet.

It's sad that people think this is cool and what he's displaying there are "driving skills". With this mentality, the accident-rate in India will only keep rising.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:29   #10158
BHPian

Came across this moron on the KIAL airport road flyover on Sunday night.
P.S : Pardon the tilted dashcam, didn't realise until I saw the footage.

So this guy was posing for a photo in the middle of the left lane! On a 6 lane flyover with no parking lane! AT 11.30pm IN THE NIGHT!
And he didn't even flinch as I honked, lad was ready to die that night for a whatsapp/FB DP it would appear.

Has anyone noticed this new trend? I've noticed a few 2 wheelers parked in the last lane at some places and guys just chilling, a few times, but mostly during day time. What makes them think that is safe?!
Rohan24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 05:26   #10159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
You would be someone i would hate to see in the rearview mirror on the road. Honking and Flashing for 100meters? Cool down and let the world be. If you were doing speeds within speed limit then the two cars in question would not even have bothered you.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Yes I agree with you, but actually I slowed down early enough and therefore he didn't really bother me too much. I already admitted I was too fast. What I'm talking about here is the courtesy to let another car pass. Moreover, he didn't indicate as well, I anticipated that he'll move to the right lane.

If I don't honk and flash here, and slow down of my own accord, in that situation he has all the freedom to pass. And I would've actually done that, if he was on the highway and had indicated, but the fact that he's just merged, means he needs to wait for any car that's coming from behind to pass, unless they're slower than him.
Just what I feel, leaving aside the speed aspect.
You seem to be agreeing to everybody but still sticking with your thought process which is the point of difference Your posting this on a thread on bad drivers still gives your thought process that you aren't the person at fault in the video; which is opposite of the view here as highlighted by me and @deathwalkr

1. There was no vehicle behind both the cars for them not to overtake the slow moving truck. Period. Whether there's an speeding car barreling down towards them is not really their concern. The default assumption would be is that your vehicle would be doing acceptable speeds; which would have given them time to complete the overtaking.

2. The usage of the horn across such a distance to "make way" is wrong. In any country with civic sense of driving, honking is used in the last situation (note - only a few honks) - to indicate a mistake being done by the person in front or to point out something that is missed out.

Glad to see you agreeing to both of us - please also take that into consideration next time on the road. Use the horn/flash for what they are. A perfect worst case example is the nutcase doing the Ford car review - he is honking throughout the video as if it's some braking function.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:20   #10160
Distinguished - BHPian

You just can't make these stuff up, in the last 48 hours in Bangalore -

1) Had a two wheeler come from the opposite side at insane speeds when it was raining, ran over a puddle and doused my car with dirty road water completely.

2) A food delivery guy in a KTM (yes) running about rashly, zig-zagging and nearly took the left wing mirror with him before I moved a bit to the right anticipating such a scenario.

3) A mini-tempo with about 2 meters of tin-sheets, poles etc hanging out the tempo, what next carry 20 foot water pipes as well? Police have no objection to such gross violation of road safety? I had to wait till the slow-moving box-on-wheels turned completely.. a scrape or a bump cannot be predicted with almost 7-8 feet of overhang.

4) Two under-aged boys without helmet moving at high speeds, honking and rashly overtaking, had the vehicle to their left moved even a little to the right they'd have bounced off it and fallen over my car 100%.

5) One UBER Etios car driver wanted to turn right, so I took to his left to follow the same path, but then he decided he wanted to go straight, blocked me completely, signal changed to red and I had to face the angry glares of incoming vehicles.

6) One OLA Micra car was driving very, very rashly.. always flashing and honking to give way and I did, now his highness was trying to turn right and yet again decides to fully swerve to the left, blocking me again but this time I honked and got ahead and gave him a mouthful. Mr.Testosterone again on a chase behind me, flashing and honking so I decided to slow down in the middle lane and let him have his fun and overtake, and he did by giving an ugly stare. Since this was a highway (NH7) and since there were no other vehicles other than his and since there were no crossings for another mile, I just pressed the pedal and watched him nearly vanish behind me. He had his 2 seconds of glory before the reality of an engine that had more than twice the horses, was established.

Cabs, two-wheelers, transport vehicles, police vehicles, jay-walkers.. all have made Bangalore into a maddening city. You feel like you cannot make this stuff up, its surreal.. even a video-game about driving cannot be filled with jump-scares, baddies and dangers such as above. Every year the situation is worsening with outside state vehicles being the most rashly driven, specially from a state that is just below Karnataka to the west. P.S NO OFFENCE meant at all to KTM or 2-wheeler motorists, I've been spanked adequately for even mentioning such things in the past and same as well to any and all countrymen for whom every democratic right and more so human right applies to drive to and live anywhere. Just wish my city wasn't so hard to drive around in, anymore. Just personal experiences.

WHY DO PEOPLE BREAK THE LAW AND PRETEND TO NOT KNOW OR CARE WHEN THEY DO KNOW THE LAW?
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:19   #10161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1

You seem to be agreeing to everybody but still sticking with your thought process which is the point of difference .

1. There was no vehicle behind both the cars for them not to overtake the slow moving truck. Period. Whether there's an speeding car barreling down towards them is not really their concern.

Glad to see you agreeing to both of us - please also take that into consideration next time on the road. Use the horn/flash for what they are. A perfect worst case example is the nutcase doing the Ford car review - he is honking throughout the video as if it's some braking function.
Yes, sir, I completely understand that. But I still think it's not a good driving practice to simply merge and come into the fast lane, more so if there's a vehicle approaching, regardless the speed. One can very well wait for the vehicle to pass and then complete the overtake, which is what I do.

Judging an approaching vehicle's speed is a big part of driving, and I don't think one can just expect a car to be doing a certain speed. In the video, the guy probably saw me slowing down and took it as an indication that I was letting him pass, and I guess my honking and flashing was contradictory to that and he got confused. The long honk was because I anticipated his move from afar and wanted to make it known that I'm approaching, and he didn't seem to notice it to a point, that's why. Guess I should've just chilled out.

As for the honking and reference to other countries, there you don't need the horn, because everyone sticks to the rules. Here, we need to honk (albeit not as long as what I did there), because some people don't even look in the mirror. Honk when you're a passing an intersection, on blind curves, or when someone's merging onto the highway, because there's a good chance they've not glanced to look if there are approaching vehicles, just like that guy in the freestyle video.
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:55   #10162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Judging an approaching vehicle's speed is a big part of driving, and I don't think one can just expect a car to be doing a certain speed.
To be fair - I just viewed your dashcam footage - I think the problem is that trucks and commercial vehicles are so damn slow compared to what other vehicles achieve on our highways. Traffic in all lanes need to flow at the same speed, give or take a few Kmph. Vehicles that are too slow shouldn't be on the highway in the first place, in an ideal world.

Which brings me to my next point - at the speeds you were doing, I bet you wouldn't have been able to judge other vehicles' speeds either. If you can't relate to slower vehicles' speeds, you just can't predict the time they would take to switch lanes etc.

Reality is that we have extremely slow moving commercial vehicles plying on the same roads; I've seen an accident occur when 2 cars driven in excess of 120 Kmph just couldn't fathom or anticipate an overloaded Tata Ace doing 40 Kmph on the fast lane. It was an overspeeding Innova and an Octavia which were aggressively changing lanes and they just plugged themselves one after the other onto the back of a sluggish Tata Ace back in December 2012 on the Chennai-Bangalore highway, while I was doing a sedate 80 Kmph in my Swift. Those two car drivers were so shocked to suddenly see an almost stationary object in their paths that the Innova fishtailed after braking and hit the Ace; the Octavia tried zig-zagging, but to no avail...

Hell, if you're at 140 Kmph, a moped at 50 Kmph switching suddenly to the fast lane is well nigh invisible and is as good as a stationary object that appears out of nowhere to you.

I'd say, please just stick to the pace maintained by the rest of traffic to stay safe. If the "slowpokes" are doing 60 Kmph, you're safe doing 80 or 90 Kmph at the most.

And hey - you're alive. Cheer up! We are all not perfect either...may we all live to learn and drive another day

Last edited by locusjag : 23rd May 2018 at 12:56.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 21:18   #10163
Team-BHP Support

A rather unfortunate spotting a few minutes ago.

This T-BHP stickered Rapid overtook the cab I was in from the left on HAL Road, he probably was inches away from the footpath himself, driving fast enough to kick up a flood of muddy water onto our windscreen and blinding us completely for a few seconds, could've easily caused a crash if traffic ahead of us had braked while we were driving blind, or if my own cabbie had panic-braked.

He continued to drive erratically until we lost him in traffic at Lifestyle Store signal, braking and moving suddenly on slick roads around two wheelers and other traffic who probably have a fraction of both his car's stopping power and his self-presumed driving abilities.

Whoever you are, esp. if you're a T-BHPian, please be a bit more considerate on road and for the love of driving (and absolute lack of respect demonstrated for what this forum stands for), take that sticker off your ride. The stickers are cheap to buy, difficult to earn.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180525_210010966.jpg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 13:57   #10164
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Zen being driven poorly. No ORVM on the left, not bothered with the ORVM on the right. I lost my cool when he almost crashed into me after overtaking from left(look at my car's position in the first pic). Thankfully there was a gap in the divider where I could get some buffer.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20180525_171605.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20180525_171613.jpg

PS: Pics clicked by Co-Passenger.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 11:38   #10165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Saw this Zen being driven poorly. No ORVM on the left, not bothered with the ORVM on the right. I lost my cool when he almost crashed into me after overtaking from left(look at my car's position in the first pic). Thankfully there was a gap in the divider where I could get some buffer.
Sirji, the only solution is to remain cool and control ones emotions. On our roads, there are more morons than sane drivers. Unfortunately us sane drivers are pushed around by these morons.

During my recent visit to Ranchi, while we were driving to Patratu, I witnessed more morons than my toes and fingers total. Also, while we were admiring the scenic beauty of Patratu Valley. all of us were witness to many such morons speeding down the ghats. Also remember that stupid guy in the Hyundai who parked his car in such a way that it risked to be banged by down coming traffic.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th May 2018 at 11:43. Reason: Fixing quote tags
ALTIMAed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 17:07   #10166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
the only solution is to remain cool and control ones emotions. On our roads, there are more morons than sane drivers. ... ... ...
I realised recently that I have almost entirely given up screaming driving lessons at other drivers. I must be growing up. Hey, I'm only 65: maybe by next year I'll have stopped using the horn so much .

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 21:42   #10167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I realised recently that I have almost entirely given up screaming driving lessons at other drivers. I must be growing up. Hey, I'm only 65: maybe by next year I'll have stopped using the horn so much .
At a little more than half your age, I am the butt of my daughter's jokes for trying to do what you have rightly eschewed. She is actually perfectly right because whatever I say is more often than not audible only inside the car; and even if the self styled lords of the road hear my homilies, they would hardly care. Good in a way because it might escalate into a quarrel forcing me (God forbid) to pen something in the road rage thread .
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:35   #10168
BHPian

This picture speaks for itself!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-scooterist-wrong-side-median.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:46   #10169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Near Chennai Trade Center, I see. My wife takes this route daily to office. Have to tell her to be more careful. I will send her this pic.
Old 28th May 2018, 18:39   #10170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Life, for most, would seem has any value whatsoever!

If you had asked this guy what the hell was he thinking by showing the universal hand signal he would most likely have gotten angry and said there is so much space to go by him!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks