Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 22:34   #10246
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I see that you are from Trivandrum from your handle. You have exactly described the style of driving in Trivandrum I've not driven much in other cities, so cannot comment
Yes, I am; though I have lived there hardly for 5years.

As Vikalp rightly pointed out, situation is not much different/better at many other cities across India . Have driven in 4-5 different cities in India but it's pretty much same everywhere.

OT: I'm one of the hapless chaps in Bengaluru who changed jobs just to exchange the mad traffic chaos of a 20km commute with a 5km one !
Old 27th July 2018, 08:48   #10247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
One of my fears when driving is people who overtake rashly.

1. On a highway with no medium this is scary - as seen in this Tempo Traveller who made my heart skip a beat. Thankfully I could brake smoothly and veer a little without getting off the road.
There is no excuse for this kind of driving / overtaking maneuver.
That Force Traveller is taking a left curve where he will be blind to any oncoming traffic on the opposite lane. Overtaking just cannot be done assuming that nobody will be coming in the other lane. Morons like him are a serious threat on our roads.
Thank God, there was some shoulder for you to swerve a little. And good anticipation and reflexes from you

I was half-expecting Thad sir to remark something about this video
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 17:04   #10248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post

I was half-expecting Thad sir to remark something about this video
Please excuse! I am on holiday, observing
British driving (noticed some serious high-speed tailgating on the motorway yesterday: it is not just us!) and paying minimal attention to forums.

Back next month. On the road... And the forum
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 20:54   #10249
BHPian

My normal milk run, and then I see a chap who has parked his vehicle in the turn in a blind curve. Ahead I observe an auto also parked in the next turn, but as luck has it, he moves on before I reach there. This location being a completely blind curve has had its share of fender benders. I normally hug the left when making the turn, yet there are umpteen fools who come around the corner in the middle of lane, so one has to be extremely careful.

sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 00:19   #10250
BHPian

Came across this BMW X5 near Chandani Chowk on the Mumbai Bangalore bypass in Pune. The X5 overtook me with a very slim margin and then went on to sandwich the Spark between his car and the cement mixer truck.

Last edited by scwagh : 29th July 2018 at 00:25.
Old 29th July 2018, 11:18   #10251
BHPian

The first part of the video shows a stupid S-cross driver taking a turn in his own way and the latter part shows an impatient Bolero driver almost scraped my car.

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 29th July 2018 at 11:19.
Old 30th July 2018, 10:33   #10252
BHPian

So it was exactly 1 yr since we got the car and went to Nagarjuna Sagar over this weekend. And then this happened

Pacifier is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:03   #10253
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this fellow driving an empty LVC on the Satara - Kolhapur stretch last weekend.

He was swaying in and out between lanes without any consideration for others and in a convoy of 8, we were alerted by others about him so I started to record this in emergency mode.

At first we suspected this to be DUI but what surprised us when we passed him and my co-pax (audhoholic) took a video of the driver was that he was under-age. He seemed like 14-16 Years and was all enthusiastic and smiles on his face as he focused merely on holding the steering and nothing else. All this on a busy highway with loads and loads of miscellaneous traffic as you can notice.

paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 11:47   #10254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Spotted this fellow driving an empty LVC on the Satara - Kolhapur stretch last weekend.
Sorry for going off topic. But those rumblers in the end of your video are the worst on the MH section of NH48. Really showed me how much my car rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwagh View Post
Came across this BMW X5 near Chandani Chowk on the Mumbai Bangalore bypass in Pune. The X5 overtook me with a very slim margin and then went on to sandwich the Spark between his car and the cement mixer truck.
Have seen loads of younger and probably underage too driving like this especially in Mumbai. Probably joyriding in dad's car. I feel newer drivers shouldn't drive cars with as much power as a BMW until they first get used to handling a car and Judging where your car's extremes lie with respect to the other vehicles and obstacles on the road.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 30th July 2018 at 11:55. Reason: added reply to another post.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:13   #10255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
So it was exactly 1 yr since we got the car and went to Nagarjuna Sagar over this weekend. And then this happened
There was a thud sound at the end of the clip. Did the bike hit your car ?
Old 30th July 2018, 12:18   #10256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
There was a thud sound at the end of the clip. Did the bike hit your car ?
Yes. He hit the car hard but managed to balance and drive away. Big scratch/dent at the bottom of the door and minor dents behind the door protectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1532933225312.jpg  

Pacifier is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:26   #10257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
This is one of my pet-peeves, and I consider people who drive/ride their cars/bikes this way as bad drivers ! (hope this issue is not already brought to attention by fellow BHPians in this post!)

Scenario: Taking turns from main roads to sub roads, drivers instead of taking a wide trajectory take the easy shortcut and cut across the road hampering the oncoming traffic from other side.

Have made a crude drawing of the above scenario. Firmly believe the riders should take the green path shown and not inconvenience others by following the red one!
This is my biggest peeve with driving in Mumbai. I have been driving in Mumbai since 2010 and I have yet to see someone turn off or turn into a main road properly as shown in the diagram by Kris. It gets my goat every time. I have stopped motorcyclists and cars several times and given them feedback but they don't understand. Every body flouts this rule be it trucks, buses, cars or two wheelers.

What a nuisance this is.
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:26   #10258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Sorry for going off topic. But those rumblers in the end of your video are the worst on the MH section of NH48. Really showed me how much my car rattles. lol
It's the relative shake of the Dashcam, notice this keeping the corner of dashboard as reference. There is a slight play in the mount that at times gets fixed the moment the knob is tightened.

Regarding the rumblers : I am all for it in place of deadly speed breakers. These rumblers don't kill anyone and the driver automatically releases foot off throttle while passing over them!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:56   #10259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifier View Post
it's really scary, the way he is coming head on, in the wrong lane. I really wonder, what was he thinking?
Old 30th July 2018, 22:28   #10260
BHPian

Five year old given control of scooter, dad's license suspended for 1 year.

Although the report is in malayalam, the video is self-explanatory:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1image.jpg

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/ker...ther-1.3017023

I am not familiar enough with Kochi, but looks like the NH bypass?
darklord is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed