Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:40   #10336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Two observations.

1. A lot of cities have free left turn with no way of knowing if this particular one has a red signal for left turn also or not.

2. The traffic police needs to turn on that green signal for the left turn s bit longer. I could not see any reason for it to be red when all the opposite lane had their green signal on and there was no barrier to all those vehicles coming from behind you and taking that false left turn.
There is a board on the left which I point to that says no free left. Plus, after taking the left, on some days there are cops waiting to catch and penalize the signal jumpers. There is a police station after the left turn as well. That's what I indicate to the cabbies who don't care a damn about the rules.

Another issue with Bengaluru traffic is that when the lights at your signal change to green, you reach the signal ahead only to wait again as it is red. However, in cities like Chennai, I have observed that a long stretch is signal free or green to avoid choked roads. In Bengaluru, green corridor happens only in an emergency.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:37   #10337
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A lot of cities have free left turn with no way of knowing if this particular one has a red signal for left turn also or not.
In Bangalore, signals where free left isn't allowed are signaged (in fact very few now have free left) and one can expect cops to be stationed around the corner to challan folks breaking the signal.

At one signal I've also noticed that the left turn green signal never blinks before going off, it goes blank/off abruptly for about 5 seconds and then goes to blinking green. After another 10-15 seconds, it goes blank/off again. A first timer at this signal will be left wondering what's happening. There could be others like this one elsewhere in the city.

And of course we have heroes of all kinds who really think they're exempted from stopping at any red light, signals do not exist for them
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:17   #10338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
This is what I and most of us deal with on a daily basis.

How many morons can you spot in this video?
I was 100% like you 5 years back. I would fight with autowallahs, taxi wallahs, truck wallahs and Chennai metropolitan bus drivers just for the right to perform my duty of stopping at a red light; not just at left turnings, but even at junctions where we were going straight ahead.

These days I just stop aside at a spot where other vehicles can go on unimpeded by me, red light or not. They may go on to kill other people, yes, but they won't ever kill me out of rage. That's for sure. I'm not saying you deserve to experience road rage, but I'm not saying you won't experience it at some point either. There'll be a day when you can't bring a bike to a car fight or a truck fight. Please just let it go and stay safe.
locusjag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:13   #10339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I was 100% like you 5 years back. I would fight with autowallahs, taxi wallahs, truck wallahs and Chennai metropolitan bus drivers just for the right to perform my duty of stopping at a red light; not just at left turnings, but even at junctions where we were going straight ahead.

These days I just stop aside at a spot where other vehicles can go on unimpeded by me, red light or not. They may go on to kill other people, yes, but they won't ever kill me out of rage. That's for sure. I'm not saying you deserve to experience road rage, but I'm not saying you won't experience it at some point either. There'll be a day when you can't bring a bike to a car fight or a truck fight. Please just let it go and stay safe.
Very well said. Ignorance is bliss. But in road rage the most docile person is the one who is targeted first. Be it the people involved in the rage or even the traffic police.

Not sure how and when people who drive cars would get educated about the adverse effects of road rage. Lives are lost, people are hurt - physically and emotionally. The entire purpose of owning a car/bike is lost due to such experiences.

I am optimistic that through this forum if not all, but a lot of us behave responsibly on roads.

Yesterday a taxi driver just cut me at a high speed, 2-3 years ago I would have increased my speed and would have abused him through the window. This time I just did the oppositte, slowed down and took the left lane at an acceptable speed.
VWAllstar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 10:38   #10340
BHPian

The picture is self explanatory. An auto driver next me was like "Bhai yaha camera nahi hai, car nikal lo" ( bro there are no cameras here, you can jump the signal).
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180830_112147.jpg  

Akib Khan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 12:06   #10341
BHPian

This is the scene almost daily near the Shollinganallur signal, on my way to office. The right turn from Medavakkam road to OMR is prohibited and vehicles has to take the left turn, then a 'U' turn and reach the junction and go straight. But these share autos and other regular auto-rickshaws never obey the rules and will always go in the wrong route, facing the oncoming traffic, ignoring the danger they are putting themselves and others.

Normally, the two wheelers used to follow take the proper router, however today they too started following these autowallahs. But, today there were few traffic policemen present in the signal which is the reason these guys turned back and took the proper route.

jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 12:19   #10342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
This is the scene almost daily near the Shollinganallur signal, on my way to office. The right turn from Medavakkam road to OMR is prohibited and vehicles has to take the left turn, then a 'U' turn and reach the junction and go straight. ~~~~~

Normally, the two wheelers used to follow take the proper router, however today they too started following these autowallahs. But, today there were few traffic policemen present in the signal which is the reason these guys turned back and took the proper route.

I have seen this happen many a time and have forced people to follow the rule laid out. However, I must say that this is one of the silliest road rule that they have come up with. A proper automated signal or a fly over at the cross road would help free flow rather than U-turns on the so called "Express way". To add to the injury, they collect tolls!
Old 6th September 2018, 16:55   #10343
Senior - BHPian

As often seen these days, convenience seems to matter most rather than following rules of the road.

Anarchy will soon be upon us on the roads [it already is but imagine the situation scaling up :(]
Old 6th September 2018, 19:32   #10344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
As often seen these days, convenience seems to matter most rather than following rules of the road.

Anarchy will soon be upon us on the roads [it already is but imagine the situation scaling up :(]
I don't quite agree - I think it's always been convenience over rules here - after all, there's no respect for the rule of law in "chalta hai" land.

I think we're seeing such a major difference because of the exponential increase in sheer numbers! I don't think previous generations were any better at all - it's just that they were fewer.

In fact, I'd go as far as to guess (pardon the utter speculation), that sheer proportion of less terrible drivers may have actually decreased thanks to increasing awareness via "education"/the internet, and less lax enforcement in certain areas.

But then again, I could be wrong about that last bit.

And, as you rightly lament, anarchy is already upon us.
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 11:20   #10345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I don't quite agree - I think it's always been convenience over rules here - after all, there's no respect for the rule of law in "chalta hai" land.

And, as you rightly lament, anarchy is already upon us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Since bad driving is killing more people than terrorists presumably, and we have a large army simply waiting for terrorists and such, why not put them to good use fighting the "road terrorists" - aka bad drivers? Shoot down a few of these terrorists and soon...
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 15:12   #10346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
However, I must say that this is one of the silliest road rule that they have come up with. A proper automated signal or a fly over at the cross road would help free flow rather than U-turns on the so called "Express way". To add to the injury, they collect tolls!
I think this set-up has been there for at least more than 2 years now and I feel this has significantly reduced the congestion in the Medavakkam-Shollinganallur road which is narrower and the traffic pile-up of vehicles used to extend beyond Elcot signal earlier (without this set-up), passing right through the toll as well.

However, why I am peeved here is that the rule is for everyone and whether these folks follow or not, but why block other vehicles, who are taking the proper rout,e by going in the wrong direction.
Old 7th September 2018, 15:50   #10347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have seen this happen many a time and have forced people to follow the rule laid out. However, I must say that this is one of the silliest road rule that they have come up with. A proper automated signal or a fly over at the cross road would help free flow rather than U-turns on the so called "Express way". To add to the injury, they collect tolls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
I think this set-up has been there for at least more than 2 years now and I feel this has significantly reduced the congestion in the Medavakkam-Shollinganallur road which is narrower and the traffic pile-up of vehicles used to extend beyond Elcot signal earlier (without this set-up), passing right through the toll as well.

However, why I am peeved here is that the rule is for everyone and whether these folks follow or not, but why block other vehicles, who are taking the proper rout,e by going in the wrong direction.

I remember when they were building the OMR IT express-way. There were talks of it being world class and what not. Today it's one of the worst roads to drive on in Chennai. It's become like Poonamallee High Road during peak hours types. Congested and ZERO traffic sense.
Up until not too long ago the section between Madhya Kailash and Tidel park was awesome, but now with that signal in the middle to connect to Indra Nagar, Adayar, etc.. That stretch also is terrible.
Old 7th September 2018, 17:55   #10348
BHPian

I had this bus which over took me, and then I see this crazy stunt which he pulled. I was really fearful for the passengers, because he was going downhill on a narrow road, when he disappeared from view. No one to reign in these jokers, insofar as they are concerned, might is right. Now GOI wants to exempt the heavy vehicles from the speed governor rule, then every road will be a race track for these drivers.

sparky@home is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 18:02   #10349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
I had this bus which over took me, and then I see this crazy stunt which he pulled. I was really fearful for the passengers, because he was going downhill on a narrow road, when he disappeared from view. No one to reign in these jokers, insofar as they are concerned, might is right. Now GOI wants to exempt the heavy vehicles from the speed governor rule, then every road will be a race track for these drivers.
That was nasty!! Watching your video made my heart pop into my mouth. I was almost certain that that bus was going to tip over and that this would've ended up being posted in the accidents thread.

Poor passengers, a lot of queasy stomachs on that bus I presume.. Nasty.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 19:28   #10350
Senior - BHPian

Continuing on the subject of bad bus drivers...
This driver on a Kallada Scania bus, overtook me from the left even though his lane was coming to an end - thankfully I had space in the right lane to move over and let him complete the overtaking.
Around 30 seconds, he nearly meets his match as a car driver reverses on the left lane...
Well, highways in India are never dull to drive on.
BenjiRoss is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed