Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 22:00   #10366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

My biggest fear here - What if someone throws trash (Bottle) or a bird flies across or something falls from the underside of the flyover
They will blame the bird, the bottle, everything except themselves, and then get on with their life. . Sometimes I don't understand this: I fear for a lot of the kids safety both in cars and bikes, than the guardians themselves.
arvind71181 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 19:06   #10367
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

As part of the smart city project, footpaths on some roads in Pune have been widened to accommodate a cycle track, and they are being put to good use. After all, bikes are motor"cycles" too! :P

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180920_185605212.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20180920_185546576.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th September 2018 at 19:07.
comfortablynumb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 20:37   #10368
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder if this will ever stop?! People stopping on the fast-paced NICE road for photo-shoots, and this time with the car in the wrong direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-nice1.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 21:54   #10369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Wonder if this will ever stop?! People stopping on the fast-paced NICE road for photo-shoots, and this time with the car in the wrong direction.
NICE Road has been almost always considered by many as a high speed picnic spot. Every time I drive through this famous road, I see people parking their vehicles on the side, clicking selfies happily, totally oblivious to the presence of fast moving vehicles. Numerous accidents have happened and still people are ignorant of their stupidity. Off late, since slow moving trucks compete with each other occupying both the lanes, many cars try to overtake them from the left most bank of the road without having a proper visual of any parked trucks / cars / bikes on the left. Imagine somebody swerving to the left of the slow moving truck only to find this car in the opposite direction. When will we learn?
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 09:19   #10370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Just an imaginary thought. I wore their shoes and expressing their thoughts and ego when they read your post. Here is one small imagination

Quote:
I have paid the toll and hence, the road belongs to me. So, there is nothing wrong in parking the car in whichever direction I like. In fact, others should be happy and thank me that I have given way to other vehicles to pass through
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:38   #10371
Senior - BHPian

Had a near miss last Thursday while driving to office, due to a driver who does not know the basics of lane discipline, and is oblivious of the fact that indicators exist.

Take a look at the red Etios from the beginning of the video. The car was on the left most lane while going into a roundabout, moved over to the middle and then the right (innermost) lane, when he suddenly realized that he must take the second exit (same as mine). No blinkers, no hand signs, straight cut over 2 lanes to exit the roundabout.

Was in the lane next to me and drove ahead of me when I slowed down to let the pedestrian pass, and followed the blue eon.
I noticed that the eon is both slowing down & indicating that it's gonna turn right, and the etios is neither slowing down nor indicating anything.
I tried to maintain my speed and go past both of them when suddenly, without any indication or decrease in speed, the etios simply cut into my lane.

Honked and braked in time to avoid a collision or a sideswipe, but he nonchalantly drove away.

Later (not in the video) caught up to the car in a signal and saw an old (grey haired) chauffeur driving a young lady at the back - thus refrained from getting into any altercation.

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd September 2018 at 10:39.
blackasta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 20:51   #10372

Spotted this driver getting his damaged tyre stitched from a cobbler.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20180923204811.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20180923204832.jpg  

racerx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 21:43   #10373
BHPian

Re: How often is it you spot and convey on roaders on safety issues while moving in roads? Do you &

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowonfield View Post

Please share your experiences, How do you convey them? And how can you convey them safely without putting yourself in danger?
Bikers forgetting to fold up the side stand. Usually honking till you get their attention and pointing down at the side stand works.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 22:36   #10374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Had a near miss last Thursday while driving to office, due to a driver who does not know the basics of lane discipline, and is oblivious of the fact that indicators exist.
It is the drivers fault no doubt, he simply turned left once he saw the Eon going right and becoming a hurdle. However if I were you I'd have tailed him a lot closer all the way through and honked at least once prior to overtaking him, given the narrow size of the road. If you give a driver too much space up front, they begin to imagine that you aren't interested in overtaking and do not bother to update themselves with visuals of your subsequent whereabouts.

My habit of defensive driving though, is influenced by the city I live in, where every motorist, almost, goes left or right at free will.. blissfully ignoring the consequences. I make it a point to either keep at their tail and then honk before overtaking or just leave them be. If the roads are wide I give adequate margin for error and then overtake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Might be the tube? If it is the tube its ok, most cobblers might have that rubber super-glue thingy and those patches. It still is funny though, cobbling a car's shoe as well. They may also be able to fix tubeless tyres as long as they can find the puncture and insert the specific fix into it.
Old 24th September 2018, 11:49   #10375
Senior - BHPian

No offense to any Maruti Eeco/Versa/Omni owners here, but I have observed here in Delhi/NCR that most of the drivers of these vehicles drive in a way that they own the road.

They have complete disregard for common traffic etiquette including giving lane change indicator, change lane without any warning i.e, indicator, keep driving on the middle of both lanes blocking traffic and not giving way even after flashing lights/honking. They don't care to wait till the other car let them give way and they always slam brake at the last moment almost hitting your car from the rear.

To top it all, they show you their true colors when you try to give them an earful.
Old 24th September 2018, 12:51   #10376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
No offense to any Maruti Eeco/Versa/Omni owners here, but I have observed here in Delhi/NCR that most of the drivers of these vehicles drive in a way that they own the road.
That is because most of them are commercial vehicles that are already battered.

1. The driver doesn't own the car. He neither pays for service nor for upkeep. At best, he'd be fired if anything goes wrong only to be hired again by some other delivery agent.

2. As the van gets older, even the owner doesn't give two hoots about exterior damage as long as it gets the work done. This unaccountability is what makes drivers so carefree.

What else can we expect?

Better to maintain a distance and not get into an altercation with them.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th September 2018 at 12:52. Reason: Fixing quote tag
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 16:47   #10377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Might be the tube? ...
It really looks like the tyre.

I once saw a truck tyre with some large cracks in the sidewall: they were bridged by pieces of metal held to the rubber by bolts! I suppose that the owner figures that, so long as the inner tube is holding air, and there is something left of the outer tyre between it and the road, then that's good enough
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 17:40   #10378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I once saw a truck tyre with some large cracks in the sidewall: they were bridged by pieces of metal held to the rubber by bolts!
Noticed the above occasionally during my commute, though I would say the frequency of the same has significantly reduced.
Effect of watching too many Hollywood films (like final destination) makes me shiver as if what would happen in case the tire has an explosive decompression (sudden burst) - those bolts would shoot out like shrapnel !!
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 23:02   #10379
BHPian

No one is bothered to give space to the pedestrians crossing the road, even when the signal is red for the vehicles. A pedestrian who rightly trying to cross the road in the zebra crossing only for the Dzire cab to intimidate him, not withstanding the fact that the pedestrian signals for the cab to stop.

jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 19:53   #10380
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20181004_195148_888.jpg

What else can be an example of a bad driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks