Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2018, 12:21   #10471
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

So this happened to me yesterday morning while dropping kids to school.

Its was 8.40 am and I was 5 minutes away driving towards the school. This on Juhu Tara road between Little Italy and Sea Princess hotel.

A maroon (Or was it red) colored Honda city with 2 kids and Father driving comes blaring his horn like a locomotive from behind. I see him in my rear view mirror cutting through traffic bullying autos on the road all the while with the horn blaring and flashing head lights. There is a junction just before Sea Princess hotel (T junction) where the traffic stopped at a red light. This guy keeps honking asking me to run the red lights. Mean while the traffic he had bullied catch up with him and were gesturing at him seemingly upset. The city driver still won't let go of the horn which irked me and when the lights turned green I gestured him to honk more so that my car will start moving (Road rage from my side).

But after brief 10 seconds I calmed down started moving and this guy overtook immediately and rashly while I just smiled at him. He was driving rash with two kids in the front seat and honking and flashing headlights to glory. Yes he might be late for school but one fine day he and his family might not make it to school. Why can't people leave 5 mins early, people are always in a hurry but never on time.

I have calmed down a lot lately but this chap got on my nerves and I indulged. In my younger days I would not have let him pass for a long time but now I have learned to let things go. My wife was more upset at the city guy and I had to calm her down She is in school PTA and plays an important role in traffic management at the school drop off area. Luckily this guy is not from the same school.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th November 2018 at 15:38. Reason: Minor typo
tazmaan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 02:46   #10472
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Here's a prime example of not having the responsibility to handle great power. Some real reckless driving on display. When you watch the bit at 2:22 in the video, it's just

P.S: I believe this video is uploaded by a BHPian, although he is not driving the car in this particular video

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 02:54   #10473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Here's a prime example of not having the responsibility to handle great power. Some real reckless driving on display. When you watch the bit at 2:22 in the video, it's just
BHPian or not, it's just moronic driving.
I fail to understand what fire do such people have under the seats, to be raging on public roads like that!
Divya Sharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 15:14   #10474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Menace of High Beam driving:

I was asking him to dip the high beam by flashing my lights to no avail.
Next time, stop in the middle of the narrow road, wait for the car with high beam to stop in front of you. After 10 seconds or so, switch your headlight to high beam. They will eventually switch to the low beam. Remember, don't start any conversation, or reply to any. This method worked for me almost every time.

Last edited by PetaWatt : 27th November 2018 at 15:15. Reason: Correcting format
PetaWatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 19:26   #10475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Menace of High Beam driving:
I had a really close shave last month.

I was driving in the right lane on a 4 lane road, with a divider in between and zero street lights (typical bangalore). Totally blinded by an oncoming car, I noticed a man walking bang in the middle of my lane just after that car passed and my vision was restored.

Had to swerve urgently to avoid an accident. The man kept on walking peacefully.

For reference, my car’s speed was around 35-40 km/h and the distance between car and the person would barely be 50 feet at most.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 20:31   #10476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
I had a really close shave last month.

I was driving in the right lane on a 4 lane road, with a divider in between and zero street lights (typical bangalore). Totally blinded by an oncoming car, I noticed a man walking bang in the middle of my lane just after that car passed and my vision was restored.

Had to swerve urgently to avoid an accident. The man kept on walking peacefully.

For reference, my car’s speed was around 35-40 km/h and the distance between car and the person would barely be 50 feet at most.
Well, something similar to that happened with me on Sunday night, here my left mirror hit that person's hand and fortunately nothing happened except that mirror got folded with the bang. The other side driver did not bother to slow down on narrow road with his high beams, I could see a man walking on my left but did not anticipate his hand movement. Due to an incoming car with high beam I had to move to left side in haste. Am worried if somebody makes a full move in front of the car then what? Pedestrians too have lost all senses and walk parallel to each other having a nice chit chat.

I use a simple solution (50% effective in Bangalore but much better outside). On a narrow road (or bigger road without median) when you face a car with high beam, you too switch to high beams and continue. Any driver with a little common sense switches to lower beams immediately. As soon as he does, I too do the same. It works well. But this "careless" or "do not bother" mentality Bangalore has most morons who have no sense at all

Last edited by rajivtelang : 27th November 2018 at 20:33.
rajivtelang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 21:08   #10477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
BHPian or not, it's just moronic driving.
I fail to understand what fire do such people have under the seats, to be raging on public roads like that!
Their thug-life, wannabe, oft meaningless expressions in English are about as bad as their driving. Ah to be so cool and wantonly throw about expletives and do the hand signs.. beyond cringe-worthy.

Any person who does such driving/riding must be paraded naked on the streets with a sign "Its not so great when we're travelling without the comfort of a car.. or our clothes".

Damned be this era.
dark.knight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 08:16   #10478
BHPian

That's a very close call.
I have experienced similar type of of thing wherein the incoming vehicle was a tourist bus. It had around 8 headlamps and all high beam lamps. Because of this I could not see through the windshield. My sixth sense anticipated that there could be something in the midway. I slowed down a bit. Fortunately or unfortunately, there was a couple on their bike standing stationary to take a right turn. Neither they had any taillamp nor a turning signal. It was a close call.
I don't know why people drive so stupidly and take such risks.
SHAHBAAZ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 22:24   #10479
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know how clear you can see the poor granny who was about to get hit by the 2 wheeler. It happens from 0:05 onwards.
I was driving 100 meters behind, and this was the best my dash cam could capture. There were three young men on the bike, no helmet whatsoever. The granny did not even care to look both sides before crossing and she kept walking. Luckily the rider swerved to the right. But he must have slowed down at once he saw her crossing the road, but he failed to do so.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th November 2018 at 22:28.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:11   #10480
Senior - BHPian

Happened just now:

This Honda City zipped by in front of my house at about 100 kmph. Now there is a speed bump just outside my house but this moron decided that he doesn't believe in speed bumps and just powered thru.

This, in a residential area at a crossing where accidents have happened before (hence the speed bump)!

When he went over the bump, he ripped the front wheel cladding of his car completely! It was very satisfying to laugh to his face. Even more satisfying to NOT tell him "serves you well"!

Instant Karma is intensely satisfying!

Last edited by sridhu : 2nd December 2018 at 10:37.
sridhu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 11:39   #10481
Senior - BHPian

Some dash cam capture to demonstrate the importance on safe distance even in city speeds.
Speeds were probably around 40 KMPH and it looks like the car was not very close to the truck.
However when the truck slows abruptly for a speedbreaker the car reacts barely in time to jam the brakes, skid a little - you can see the puff of tire smoke and escape.
Higher speeds could have caused a rear ending.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 15:07   #10482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Some dash cam capture to demonstrate the importance on safe distance even in city speeds.
Speeds were probably around 40 KMPH and it looks like the car was not very close to the truck.
However when the truck slows abruptly for a speedbreaker the car reacts barely in time to jam the brakes, skid a little - you can see the puff of tire smoke and escape.
Higher speeds could have caused a rear ending.
No functioning brake lights on the truck - very common story. So many more accidents occur at night simply because of stopped vehicles with no lights...

With all our toll nakas, how easy it should be to pull over the offending trucks till they get this fixed. Give a lucrative contract to an electrical mechanic.
Old 9th December 2018, 17:07   #10483
Distinguished - BHPian

Are we back to rear lights on elephants?

Just... Don't drive into the thing in front of you.

The last time i was broken down on a British motorway, i head no lights. It was an old car, and the old battery didn't last long. Of course there should be lights and it should be enforced, but there are good reasons for no lights. Which amount to good reasons for taking responsibility for our speed, visibility, reaction times, etc.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:11   #10484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are we back to rear lights on elephants?

Just... Don't drive into the thing in front of you.

....but there are good reasons for no lights. Which amount to good reasons for taking responsibility for our speed, visibility, reaction times, etc.
Wow really... You advocate that it is ok to have non-functioning brake lights and it is quite fine to leave your vehicle without lights on a highway / motorway? And people have thanked you for your post?

Of course one has to have good defensive driving habits, but there should be no excuse for ignoring basic vehicle functional safety aspects.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:22   #10485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Wow really... You advocate that it is ok to have non-functioning brake lights and it is quite fine to leave your vehicle without lights on a highway / motorway? And people have thanked you for your post?

Of course one has to have good defensive driving habits, but there should be no excuse for ignoring basic vehicle functional safety aspects.
While one can understand that there could be various reasons for the hazard lights etc. not working, it is always safe to carry a red reflective triangle board and place it on the road giving drivers advance warning of an obstacle on the road.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks