Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 13:45   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^^ The first picture, though it is blurred has something special in it. I like the way it looks. Portrays the traffic chaos in city streets very well
took these pictures with my HD2 since i forgot to carry my 400D. the HD2 isn't all that good in low light conditions
Old 21st May 2010, 13:48   #1067
BHPian

I think spotting bad drivers is so easy in India.
Bcoz, 80% of the drivers in India are bad drivers (My guess & experience).

Why ?

1) Getting a driving licence without any gr8 training is so easy here
2) How many drivers would know correct signaling techniques?
3) Ppl don't bother about knowing the meaning of signboards / how much is speed limit
4) We r always in a hurry and don't bother to cut / cross any lane
5) We believe - fastest cars on any road should be given the 1st preference and not the bi-cycle / padestrian.

:-D

Last edited by neo45007 : 21st May 2010 at 13:49.
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:56   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
<Posted after a nine-hour powercut>

Sorry, Glass, but that is just the sort of post that I find offensive. Just look at the massive generalisations you made there.

It'd be fine if all this translated into practical truth, but it does not. Sure, there are women who think that a rear view mirror is for adjusting their hair and checking their lipstick, but hey, how many men are there who won't even unfold their OVRMS for fear of getting their precious paint scratched?

Whilst it is true that there are cultural stereotypes that do reflect in interests adopted by different genders, and also in beliefs in ability to do various things held by different genders, it is long since debunked that this has anything to do with nature, and certainly nothing to do with science.

I am not being over-sensitive --- but I am being sensitive. I can assure you that it is a sensitivity that it took me years, if not decades, not to mention the many lectures from women friends to acquire, and I am not going to keep quiet every time I feel offended at seeing the word woman in this thread.

Just happens that many of the best drivers I've known (including my late mother, born 1916, and continued to drive until a few months before her death, one week short of 90) and some of those that taught me deep lessons about cars and driving were ...women.

I don't mean to make this personal, but every time I read something like "... makes an average man a better driver than an average woman." I am honour bound to those women to say "bullshit".

It is particularly annoying because, without any doubt at all, the worst and most dangerous driving that I see here is almost always done by man. Which sex drives the taxis? Which sex drives the buses, especially the college and company buses?

What's more, I invite you to check out the building sites you drive past: you might find it necessary to re-examine even the assertion that men are more muscular than women?

Pramodkumar; perhaps your "facts" might stand a little re-examination.

So to take one example: what's with a woman parking her car with a wheel in the ditch? Even if she did happen to be adjusting her lipstick at the time, how about the thousands of men that might be on the phone? It is just a nonsense to draw attention to the fact that a woman did it.

Peace we can have --- but please try to understand. I'm no perfect human being; I'm still discovering and fighting prejudices in myself. It's an ongoing process and it lasts a lifetime.

Could probably write more. Be glad that the power has gone again... and my UPS is already empty from last night
I understand you find my post offensive, though I am far from fathoming why.

You say my logic that a boy/man tends to spend greater time actually on that road or fantasizing driving is a generalization? Or do you not agree an average experienced driver is likely to be a better driver than an average inexperienced driver? I am surprised you do not even agree an average man is more muscular than an average woman.

You then debunk all scientific references some other posters linked as 'pseudo-science', and sit in judgment to brand all other members' observations that don't agree with you as biased. But I could not find in your posts insisting on women being equally good drivers a proof or reference in support, except your own belief and emotion. An example of a good driver from your experience does not prove anything - for each good driver, there are a dozen bad ones any of us can quote.

Looking back on this thread, there are many groupings made as part of discussion. Some one believes all taxi drivers are scum, another thinks BST bus drivers don't deserve to have licenses. Yet another calls all Karnataka drivers hopeless, and another mentions two wheelers are the bane of the road. Why is it none of these or other classifications has ever evoked your disgust at this thread, which gender suddenly has brought out? Also, did you find my comment that women are possibly better communicators sexist too?
I find an objective evaluation of a class of people vis-a-vis the driving skills interesting, and don't see why we should all be sensitive ostriches when it comes to gender.

Honestly your liberal use of crap offends me more than anything else on this thread. Further, I would be more than happy to continue this discussion on another thread on the topic, even if you have full power supply as you post.

Thanks.

P.S.: Had to quote all your post for the relevance of referred points.

Last edited by Glass : 22nd May 2010 at 20:58.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:50   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, having just had an accident that, whilst far from being my fault, I could have avoided if my maybe-typically-male stubbornness had not made me hold my ground, I'm feeling a bit bruised just now <Blush>...
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:51   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^^ The first picture, though it is blurred has something special in it. I like the way it looks. Portrays the traffic chaos in city streets very well

Agree 100% to that. Often two wheelers give their life in the hands of 4 wheeler drivers driving next to them!
Lets not generalize all two wheeler riders to be nonchalant towards other vehicles. I ride a bike as well as drive a car and yes 80% of bikers do not adhere to any rules on the road but then generalization by forgetting the rest of the 20% is not prudent. coz 80% of car drivers arent road worthy
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:49   #1071
Senior - BHPian

@Glass: thats the most well articulated post i've encountered so far in this forum!

@Thad: takes a real man to own up his folly

now both of you shake hands, be friends and get me a beer
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:04   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, having just had an accident that, whilst far from being my fault, I could have avoided if my maybe-typically-male stubbornness had not made me hold my ground, I'm feeling a bit bruised just now <Blush>...
I hope you get better soon , hopefully the accident was not with a lady driven vehicle and there was no shattered glass . Thanks for the nice discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@Glass: thats the most well articulated post i've encountered so far in this forum!

@Thad: takes a real man to own up his folly

now both of you shake hands, be friends and get me a beer
Thanks, you almost flattered me. But no beer smilie available!
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:06   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, I'm still a feminist! All I ask is for people to think hard about some of the assumptions, and some of the words we use, because then the future can be different.

No beer in the house... but I'm just now making cocoa
Quote:
I hope you get better soon , hopefully the accident was not with a lady driven vehicle and there was no shattered glass . Thanks for the nice discussion.
No: it was four guys --- but it was one of the ladies with me who wanted to take them (and the growing number of spectators) on!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd May 2010 at 02:08.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:51   #1074
BHPian

Just remembered another kind I truly hate, its the person going at 40 kmph on an empty road in the rightmost lane and not letting you overtake despite you showing your intentions.

Then there is the wise guy, he will leave the right lane , but occupy it just a little so as to tease you to try and see if your car fits in the gap or not. He will continue to occupy 2 lanes and as soon as you try to overtake from the right, he will go a little towards the right and squeeze you off the road.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:53   #1075
Team-BHP Support

IronHawk: You are the man! Superb pictures! And you've found my examples alright. I should start taking photographs as well!

Anyway, I chanced upon a lady driver in a Maruti 800 in front of me a few days back. She seemed to be in her mid 20s and very attractive! But that's not the point.. her driving style blew me away. She was fantastic on the road. I happened to be behind her from Marathahalli (Old Airport Road) to Domlur and I observed her driving finesse. Her indications were perfect, she stuck to one lane throughout, she had her seat-belt on, everything was right! I even flashed my lights just once and she immediately gave me way!
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:11   #1076
Senior - BHPian

For me ,folded mirrors are definitely the best indicators of a "useless " driver.A car with dents is also a good pointer .
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:35   #1077
BHPian

you know women drive bad when guys are posting here about women who were driving well . rarely one hears about good females

@Thad e gotham - feminist guy . great
a small joke -
Q: How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Feminists can't change anything.

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 23rd May 2010 at 23:44.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:52   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahhh... just you wait and see!

It will be India's turn soon
Quote:
you know women drive bad when guys are posting here about women who were driving well . rarely one hears about good females
Now... why would you post that in a thread about bad drivers? Why would it even occur to you?

The thing about good drivers is that --- we don't notice them. If we do notice them, it is sometimes because they are annoying us. Oh yes, really: the guy who is driving at the speed limit, when we want to go faster? Who's the better driver there: them, or us?

Seriously, though, feminists can change everything, and I should not have to tell an Indian man why

clue: who was the most influential person in your early life? Yes! Most mothers are female!

Someone (I forget) said that it is possible to change the world in just one generation: with education. Hasn't happened, yet... Maybe...
Old 25th May 2010, 12:00   #1079
Senior - BHPian

KA-51-MA-6220 sky blue Toyota Corrola - this moron almost plastered me on the side wall of the BETL this morning on my way to office. he tried to overtake a IndiCab which was travelling slow on the high speed lane by going in between me and the IndiCab. if this guy had honked, i would have slowed down to let him pass.

as it is there is cross wind atop the BETL and to makes things worse this idiot overtakes me just inches from the handlebar weights of my bike, which creates a suction kinda effect. had i not decelerated, i wouldn't be around to post this!

and no, this wasn't a driver driving the car. from the looks of it the guy (aged 50+) looked like a senior manager (if not higher) of sorts in one of them companies in EC!
Old 25th May 2010, 13:03   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Unforgivable. Only glad you handled the situation.

Whilst I can never understand it when bikes put themselves in a narrow gap between a car and something like a wall, for a vehicle to do that to a biker, or even to pass so close, is just disrespecting life.

I am surprised that you didn't chase after this guy. Perhaps you were just glad to be alive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks