Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 6th September 2019, 08:57   #10861
BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

So, while I was out on my routine morning jog today, I saw a Wagon R being driven on the wrong side coming straight at me (I was jogging on the edge of the road as the footpath was dug up, I know that is a whole new discussion!). I stopped him, he looked well educated and aware types (not the goon types) and asked him if he knows he is on the wrong side, that he can run somebody over, that the penalty for wrong side driving has now gone up, that it is not right/illegal to drive on the wrong side? He answered YES to all my questions! And I left after wishing him luck! I know I am venting, but I guess brute forcing (cameras, 24X7 monitoring etc.) is the only solution when people know something is wrong and still do it!
Sanjunair5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:26   #10862
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Here are few that I spotted on the way to work today.

This is a two way street. This traffic jam was caused due to vehicles being driven / ridden on the wrong side of the road and thereby preventing vehicles on the other side to move freely. As you can see, an Innova, further added to the jam by moving into a space on the wrong side of the road.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-chocking-two-way-street1.png
This biker was riding on the wrong side of the road, without a helmet and talking on the phone.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-how-many-offenses.png
The following bike chose to ride across and squeeze from the left only to find that he did not have room to turn his bike. He had to wait for the truck to move forward to be able to turn.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-squeeze1.png
This biker came from my left, with a big bag on his fuel tank and squeezed across to take a right turn. In the process, he had traffic on my right brake hard to avoid hitting him as well.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-squeeze2.png

One key word does not seem to exist in the dictionary of drivers and riders in this country - Patience!!!
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 18:59   #10863
BHPian

Why? I mean, just why?!

deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:08   #10864
BHPian

I work in MNC in Chennai and our office campus has a multi level parking building which can accommodate both 2 and 4 wheelers. It has separate ramps for exit and entry for each of the floors.

Every other day, I will see a 2 wheeler using the exit ramp - which was supposed for vehicles going down only - for climbing up and reaching the next floor. It hardly takes 2 seconds to reach the entry ramp but still I don't have a clue why they use the exit ramp for entry.

1. Last week I was exiting a floor and was about to hit a guy who was using exit ramp instead of entry ramp. I tried to stop him but he did not act like hearing my voice and went away.
2. Couple of months ago, a car was using the exit ramp for entry. I stopped him and told its a exit only ramp. He genuinely sounded sorry and told that it was his first day, did not notice the sign boards.

Today, a couple on duke bike used exit ramp for entry. I waited for them to park their bike and then spoke. This is how our conversation went:

Me: Is this your first day at this office?
Duke Dude: No
Me: Do you know that the ramp is supposed to be a exit only ramp. Please use entry ramp from next time.
DD: (Head nodded)
Me: How much time did you save by using exit ramp? 2 seconds? Are we not educated? Can't we read the sign boards? I was about to hit a guy who was using exit ramp last week.
DD: (Head nodded)
Me: Can you please tell me why did you use the exit ramp for entry?
DD: Are you the security here? Its my wish to use. Did I hit you?
Duke Girl : Why do you care? Did he hit you?
Me: Whats the point of buying a duke for more than 1 lakh rupees. Its a waste when you don't follow rules. You people never change.

I walked away.

One more thing I noted here is that ridiculous 2 wheeler parking. Some are on side stand, some are parked zig zag on side stand taking up to 2 bike parking spaces, some facing north, some facing south. I have spoken with security on this couple times also. Poor folks, they correct some but how many can they correct? Every 7 out of 10 bikes are parked incorrectly. Randomly they lock 3 or 4 bikes to get a memo issued to the employee.

There is no hope.

Note: Thought this is relevant thread to post here.

Last edited by bvasista : 10th September 2019 at 11:09.
bvasista is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:26   #10865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
One key word does not seem to exist in the dictionary of drivers and riders in this country - Patience!!!
This issue is so rampant, that I have pretty much got desensitized to such bird brains.
If I wasn't, my hair would be white and I'd have gone bald by now..

Old 10th September 2019, 13:13   #10866
BHPian

Saw these around the same place as the day before. I wonder why they do not position at least one policeman in the Jafferkhanpet - Kasi Theater area).
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wrog-side-riding.png
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4-scooter.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
This issue is so rampant, that I have pretty much got desensitized to such bird brains.
If I wasn't, my hair would be white and I'd have gone bald by now..

Ignoring is one aspect. When they cause hardhsip to other road users , traffic jams and accidents, it is entirely another.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:49   #10867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Ignoring is one aspect. When they cause hardhsip to other road users , traffic jams and accidents, it is entirely another.
Indeed. But otherwise I would just frustrate myself and then would end up being in a foul mood. If only there was a practical way to take these people to task. I believe the heavy imposition of fines is a step in the right direction but enforcement too has to be equally strict.
We all know how easy it is to get away with a small "non-challaned" fine.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 10:24   #10868
BHPian

On 13th Sept morning, I was slowly approaching Siruseri signal and suddenly saw two guys on a bike in driver's side review view mirror approaching the signal with a good speed, hit the brake, falling on to the right side due to the combination of water + small stones.

Thankfully nothing happened to them other than clothes getting soiled due to water. They were helped by fellow biker and went to the left side of the road along with their bike. My dash cam captured the fall (at 20th second). After watching the video, I was wondering if they were trying to cross the junction because the red signal came up when they were very near the junction and missed the green by 2 or 3 seconds.

P.S: The video quality reduced when I uploaded to youtube
bvasista is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 11:04   #10869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
On 13th Sept morning, I was slowly approaching Siruseri signal and suddenly saw two guys on a bike in driver's side review view mirror approaching the signal with a good speed, hit the brake, falling on to the right side due to the combination of water + small stones.
I felt the 2-wheeler was too fast while approaching the signal (unmindful that there are stopped vehicles ahead, a bus making a right turn etc.). Hope they learnt a lesson. But the pillion is busy blaming the road, the pothole and the stagnant water than look at their own approach speed & breaking distance Also, they aren't the only bad drivers in the video.

The Yellow board (Tavera?) ahead of you in the beginning of video goes around the traffic light to beat the signal (misses the turning bus only just). And there is one another White car (Dzire?) ahead of him doing the same
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:49   #10870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
The Yellow board (Tavera?) ahead of you in the beginning of video goes around the traffic light to beat the signal (misses the turning bus only just). And there is one another White car (Dzire?) ahead of him doing the same
Yes srvm.. Tavera & Dzire both are taxis and went ahead to beat the signal from wrong side. This is the usual practice at this signal for all types of vehicles starting from cycles, bikes, luxury cars, water tankers and buses.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:52   #10871
BHPian

This Brezza took a right turn at the T-Junction, where a right turn isn't permitted, near Ashok Pillar. In the process, he caused havoc to other road users.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-turning-right-noright-turn1.jpg  

Last edited by swissknife : 23rd September 2019 at 12:03.
Old 23rd September 2019, 23:37   #10872
Senior - BHPian

So whats wrong with a biker on the fast lane of a three-laned highway without a helmet? It's the usual scene you'd say. Except that this guy is riding the wrong way as cars whizz past at 100 KMPH. Who cares! This guy definitely does not!!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bike.jpg

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 23rd September 2019 at 23:38.
BenjiRoss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 11:39   #10873
BHPian

Saw this moron this morning. This was near the Ashok Pillar at Chennai. Despite being told by a few people that he was heading the wrong way, he continued and in the process chocked traffic.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wrong-way-one-way-street-ashok-nagar1.jpg

These two bikers found it convenient to stop near the median and have a chat. Both without helmets, but then, are they bothered?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-what-place-stop-chat.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
So whats wrong with a biker on the fast lane of a three-laned highway without a helmet? It's the usual scene you'd say. Except that this guy is riding the wrong way as cars whizz past at 100 KMPH. Who cares! This guy definitely does not!!
If he gets hit by any vehicle, the news headlines may read "Speeding vehicle knocks down and kills a person riding on the highway".

Going by the milestone (or should it be kilometer stone) this place is about 1km from a village/ town. It is always better to watch out for such morons and travel cautiously.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2019 at 16:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged
swissknife is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 15:35   #10874
BHPian

This is a report on a bad traffic policeman, not a bad driver.

Today morning while going to office I was waiting at the Marriott signal on SB road. I was coming from the model colony road to join SB road.

Now this signal allows a right turn for all approach roads for some seconds when their signal turns green. In this time the oncoming traffic is stopped. But today I don't know for what reason, the traffic police manning the signal forced the oncoming traffic to run the red light and go even though the other side was still turning right.

This caused a dangerous situation with the people having right of way cursing the oncoming traffic thinking that they had willingly run the red light. Unfortunately I do not have a video of it. This was a blatant example of a traffic police deliberately trying to cause accidents.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:06   #10875
BHPian

Had a close call with this van which came round the corner like a bat out of hell. I just thank my stars and continued on my way, in any case that guy was long gone.

sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed