Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:25   #11011
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Certified idiots. Also, that road is a nightmare. Why there are so many tractors and why are they all crawling at 20kmph on right lanes?
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:14   #11012
Senior - BHPian

A rash overtaker: This pickup truck attempted (and completed) an overtake on a curve on a pot-hole ridden road (Bangalore to Banerghetta). He almost pushes me off the road with his effort. And to top it all, a biker managed to overtake him as he was doing his rash overtaking!

From my part:
1. I could have slowed down or stopped earlier to prevent the last second swerve.
2. I could have gently gone off the road - this section was unfortunately in bad shape.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 15:29   #11013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A rash overtaker ... ... ...
Oh, for goodness sake, what is that? A group suicide attempt? Horrific. Especially when seeing them actually coming towards you.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 19:49   #11014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A rash overtaker
I have, in general, found/noticed rash driving to be more prevalent in South Bangalore as compared to that in North Bangalore.

I also notice that these road stretches have remained that bad over the last two years (at least)!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 08:04   #11015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, what is that? A group suicide attempt? Horrific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I have, in general, found/noticed rash driving to be more prevalent in South Bangalore as compared to that in North Bangalore.
With my Hyundai Xcent that would be attempted homicide rather than a suicide attempt!!
This behaviour is nationwide. It's done even there is no overtaking.... like this truck simply swerving into me. This is between Sriperumbudur and Kelambakkam in Tamilnadu.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 10:23   #11016
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night, while coming back to Noida on the Barapulla flyover, I witnessed what can only be seen as a sign of the times.
A fortuner overtook my cab being chased down by an i20. Both were speeding and weaving in and out of traffic. Its a very enticing road that way. Suddenly I heard the loud sound of a crash, and braced for my cabbie to also go flying into a stationary pile of cars. Luckily, he braked in time, as did the other cars, except for the i20, which had gone and rammed into the back of the fortuner, which had screeched to halt causing the accident in the first place. The front of the i20 was gone, as was quite a bit of the rear of the fortuner, though limited to some extent by the bullbar in place. Why had be braked? Because there was a cow coming the other way. A Black one , nigh on invisible at 1030 in the night. Understand that the nearest exit behind the cow is about 3 kms away, and the next closest one where she could get off is about a kilometer, provided she continued going the wrong way. There might be a speed camera on the way, but I think she had that beat. It would have flashed -5kmph.
In my view, both the guys were at fault for being so fast, but I felt the fortuner was more at. The cow owner too, not the animal, because she must have been terrified already. However, the fortuner was in front, and he was driving a white one (draw you your north India context here). And the way he blocked the i20 after the crash was indicative of it being a long and stressful night for the i20 guy. I pity him, but I know he will be more careful if he survived the verbal, maybe physical ancestry tracing he would have faced last night.

Last edited by mayankk : 6th January 2020 at 10:41.
mayankk is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:24   #11017
Senior - BHPian

Does having a bigger bike give you the right to park anywhere? This guy seems to think so. Not sure of the circumstances that forced the biker to park his bike on the rightmost lane of the road near a traffic junction! Could there have been a genuine reason?
This is in Chennai.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20200105223315.png
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 10:56   #11018
BHPian

Quite common on ORR in Bangalore where you can see at least a couple of bounce scooters parked on the right most lane at night. I guess because it is difficult to cross the road with continuous flow of traffic they want to avoid half the work by parking on the right lane.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 12:58   #11019
BHPian

My pet peeve - You make a turn , using blinkers in advance focusing on the road ahead , invariably a two wheeler would squeeze in a-la moto gp. Never understood what those guys would gain with a couple of seconds.

Yesterday, I was entering an artery road from the main road. Switched on the left indicator checked the left wing and irv mirrors and started the turn and on cue comes in an impatient road warrior through the blind side- I just caught a glimpse through passenger window and had to brake hard to avoid contact. The guy with his spouse and a tiny tot almost hit the footpath and lost balance ,but was somehow able to stop without falling. The lady and the baby didn't have helmets.

The guy stares at me as if I have done some grave mistake. Couple of seconds of staring competition and he rides away probably cursing me. Don't know when people will start using their brains
JoeMichael is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:51   #11020
BHPian

This is the most relatable video podcast from this channel.
There are actions described in this video which if discussed out of context are dangerous behaviour. I hope everyone who sees this video sees the context against which these are done. Sharing this video to a wider audience is necessary, for what they talks makes sense irrespective of the way the deliver. I hope it fits into this thread.

I know many of us enjoyed the work of the host in his previous endeavour. I am surprised only one video from this channel has been posted till now in this forum.

Last edited by rohitoasis : 9th January 2020 at 19:02.
Old 11th January 2020, 12:37   #11021
Senior - BHPian

The challenge: Turning at traffic lights with multiple lanes
Outcomes:
1. The Verna is in a hurry and so tries to squeeze to my left while the Merc in front and I wait with our indicators for a left turn. Light turns green and and he manipulates to the front of me, cuts rightward to go on straight!!

2. Right turn with multiple lanes. With no lane disciplines vehicles usually start in one lane and end in another as they turn. This pickup almost swipes the car to his right as he turns right and also changes to the right most lane.

Both above behaviours are very common and almost considered normal by the drivers committing this offence.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:32   #11022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Top Ten signs of a dangerous driver

1: All external mirrors folded – visually impaired
Disagree with this one because in Shimla where I have shifted, My open mirrors have been damaged by oncoming traffic's open mirrors so I have shifted to closing them now.

On to of that octavia mirrors cost a ton :(
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:52   #11023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Disagree with this one because in Shimla where I have shifted, My open mirrors have been damaged by oncoming traffic's open mirrors so I have shifted to closing them now.

On to of that octavia mirrors cost a ton :(
Closing them when you are navigating a narrow gap is acceptable, but always closing them is irresponsible. Sorry to be harsh, but if you dont want to spend money on a broken mirror which is expensive to replace, then you ought to drive a cheaper car whose mirror you can afford to replace without doing such money saving tactics.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 00:04   #11024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Closing them when you are navigating a narrow gap is acceptable, but always closing them is irresponsible. .
All roads in Shimla are narrow. If you dont belive me see yourself:-

Overtakings are not done much in city limits and when they are its only when the first guy gives space.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 00:18   #11025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
All roads in Shimla are narrow. If you dont belive me see yourself:-
Aren't outside mirrors the most essential in a narrow crowded street? I can't imagine driving without external mirrors inside a city.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed