Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 21:39   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
umm.. i was referring to the couple on the bike.
I do this more when i am on a bike.
Cut them some slack dude. Would you prefer they snake their way through to the front?
Old 25th May 2010, 21:57   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I do this more when i am on a bike.
Cut them some slack dude. Would you prefer they snake their way through to the front?
there is nothing they've to "snake" their way through. they've a clear path ahead of them. it is because of THEM that you see the four cars (including mine) lined up bit to the left (he stopped and everybody had to go around him). fortunately for them, there weren't too many two-wheelers on that side, else they would have honked the hell outta them.

the road we travel on is not our private property to do as we please. yes we paid the road tax, but that don't mean we own it. the road is for the people and that means there are rules for its usage and the law applies to all.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:06   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is nothing they've to "snake" their way through. they've a clear path ahead of them. it is because of THEM that you see the four cars (including mine) lined up bit to the left (he stopped and everybody had to go around him). fortunately for them, there weren't too many two-wheelers on that side, else they would have honked the hell outta them.

the road we travel on is not our private property to do as we please. yes we paid the road tax, but that don't mean we own it. the road is for the people and that means there are rules for its usage and the law applies to all.
The only car that had to be lined to the left is the i10. No reason for you or the cars in front to be on left on account of the two wheeler. They can very well get back into line after crossing the two wheeler and if they are not crossing the two wheeler, like you, then they should stick to their lanes.
And what traffic rule in specific is being violated by that two wheelers?
The biggest reason for a driver to be bad is impatience. And its not the two wheeler here that is being impatient.

Last edited by amitoj : 25th May 2010 at 22:08.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:16   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The only car that had to be lined to the left is the i10. No reason for you or the cars in front to be on left on account of the two wheeler. They can very well get back into line after crossing the two wheeler and if they are not crossing the two wheeler, like you, then they should stick to their lanes.
And what traffic rule in specific is being violated by that two wheelers?
The biggest reason for a driver to be bad is impatience. And its not the two wheeler here that is being impatient.
this is just a sample pal. there are many more out there doing the same thing with bigger vehicles. seen autos and cars standing back in the shade, not allowing others to go through - THAT is wrong. that is impeding traffic. just because a two-wheeler is small doesn't make the wrong right.

anyways, i don't intend to start an argument here about this - seriously, it ain't worth the effort. so lets just say, we agree to disagree.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:36   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this is just a sample pal. there are many more out there doing the same thing with bigger vehicles. seen autos and cars standing back in the shade, not allowing others to go through - THAT is wrong. that is impeding traffic. just because a two-wheeler is small doesn't make the wrong right.

anyways, i don't intend to start an argument here about this - seriously, it ain't worth the effort. so lets just say, we agree to disagree.

Of course mate, we are just discussing here.
Although, the question of impeding traffic movement does not arise when the traffic light is red, isn't it?
Anyway, yeah there is really no point in discussing this further.
There are way more seriously bad and dangerous drivers out on the roads, as you have shown very well in your other snaps.
Old 25th May 2010, 23:45   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
People who rush into lifts, jump queues in at various places, etc. are mostly very bad drivers when behind a wheel.
Patience, as a virtue, is rarely seen on roads. When will people understand that racing, zig-zag manoeuvres do not help at all. All they end up achieving is waiting more at the next signal.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:57   #1102
BHPian

Hi everyone !

My office is in habitat centre, and there is a sardarji who drives a Maruti 800, very rash..

We work in the same building but different offices, I ofcourse dont know him, but the only common thing is he and I enter the office building at the same time and leave at the same time.

Since yesterday I was under impression that he was a great driver because I never saw his brake lights on in traffic, i thought he keeps optimum distance from the front vehicle and doesnt apply brakes.

But yesterday while going back home, this BASS-CUS-TARD (remove cus when you read it, to maintain the decorum of the forum) overtook me and moved 40-50 meters in front of me (i was fine with that, i mean i was listening to old slow songs and was in a good mood), but then suddenly he braked like hell bcoz there was a lady crossing the road, and then I found that " HIS BRAKE LIGHTS AND TAIL LIGHTS WERE NOT WORKING" for a moment i couldnt figure out that he stopped as I didnt see his rear brake lights, anyhow, I took a left turn and skid was heard by him...stupid ran away then, thanks to my new Michelins (check out at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ic-mods-4.html)

Have anyone of you have suffered the same issue? It was horrible I tell you !!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:34   #1103
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... Lets ask ourselves how often we check our lights.

When I used to park between two cars, on the side of the road, outside my house, it was a regular, semiconscious thing to note the reflections infront and behind, and see that everything was working. Now I read nick17s' post, I'm ashamed to say that I can't remember the last time I did an all-round check.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:49   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Hi everyone !

My office is in habitat centre, and there is a sardarji who drives a Maruti 800, very rash..

We work in the same building but different offices, I ofcourse dont know him, but the only common thing is he and I enter the office building at the same time and leave at the same time.

Since yesterday I was under impression that he was a great driver because I never saw his brake lights on in traffic, i thought he keeps optimum distance from the front vehicle and doesnt apply brakes.

But yesterday while going back home, this BASS-CUS-TARD (remove cus when you read it, to maintain the decorum of the forum) overtook me and moved 40-50 meters in front of me (i was fine with that, i mean i was listening to old slow songs and was in a good mood), but then suddenly he braked like hell bcoz there was a lady crossing the road, and then I found that " HIS BRAKE LIGHTS AND TAIL LIGHTS WERE NOT WORKING" for a moment i couldnt figure out that he stopped as I didnt see his rear brake lights, anyhow, I took a left turn and skid was heard by him...stupid ran away then, thanks to my new Michelins (check out at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ic-mods-4.html)

Have anyone of you have suffered the same issue? It was horrible I tell you !!
well, i've had two such incidents, in one i made contact.

scenario 1 (2001): coming from Residency Road towards M.G Road - Mayo Hall junction (those days Residency Road was a two-way). it had rained heavily and the road was slippery. as i approach the signal, i see a Lancer and thought it was weird that its brake lights weren't on (since it was a signal ahead and he had to slow down). thats when i realized the Lancer's brake lights were not functioning! hit the brakes, since the road was wet, the bike skids sideways as i draw closer, i release the rear brake (the bike straightens) and then apply both brakes and bring it to a halt just inches from the Lancer. damage caused - my heart had relocated to my throat!

senario 2 (2004): waiting at Trinity Circle, light turns green and the traffic starts moving towards Old Airport Road. there is another signal as soon as you enter the Old Airport road (just before the Army area) but its green most of the time when the signal at Trinity Circle goes green. by the time you reach the 515 Army Base Workshop, you would have attained a speed of 50-60kmph. there is a double yellow line on that road (which means you don't cross/ overtake unless there is traffic diversion or an emergency). all of a sudden the beige Ikon in front of me jams his brakes to take a right, without any indication.

me travelling on my bike didn't get much time to react (even with a 2sec gap). i literally stood on the brake pedal to skid the bike, but since the distance was short i knew there wasn't time to slow down the bike by sliding. i release the rear brake (the bike straightens) and apply both front and rear brakes and wait for impact. BANG! hit the left tail lights and completely demolish it. damage to me include a damaged headlight/visor, bent front forks (i wanted to change them anyways), twisted handle and me with sprained wrists.

in both incidents, i was on my CBZ
Old 26th May 2010, 13:51   #1105
Team-BHP Support

Here are a few pictures that I'd taken while on my way to college. My mother was behind the wheel and I was in the back seat (don't ask).

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101550.jpg

Here is a scooterist who refused to budge. He was actually right in between the two lanes and no amount of honking and flashing helped! And when we finally managed to get in front of him, he gave us the dirtiest look known to mankind!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101551.jpg

Here is an Ikon driven by an old man. He had no clue of what was around him. Look at the closed ORVM!

Here are some other random pictures..

I couldn't manage a full pic of this rider who wasn't wearing a helmet and balancing his child precariously n the fuel tank!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101553.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101555.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101556.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-260520101557.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th May 2010 at 13:54.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:08   #1106
Senior - BHPian

I would say that depending on just the brake lights of the vehicle in front to figure out whether it has braked or not is not a good idea. One should also look at the vehicle's relative motion w.r.t. ground, its tyre movements etc.

On highways, there will be umpteen trucks with non-functioning rear lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Half of them balance their helmets on top of their heads and put them down when they reach a traffic signal.
And some would have mobile phones squeezed between the helmet and the head. People of all sorts - young, old, male, female, educated, non-educated etc etc.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:35   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Here are a few pictures that I'd taken while on my way to college.
looks like i've started a trend! nice pictures

btw, i found out this website of Bangalore Traffic Police with lot of useful information. have a looksy

Rules and Regulations

Traffic Signs

Road Markings

Traffic Lights & Signals

Tips on Good Driving

Advice to Drivers

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th May 2010 at 14:39.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:39   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

suhaas307, I'm surprised you didn't highlight the load on top of that auto! Not the most stable of vehicles even without any extra weight stuck right on top.

I don't think it is ideal to use mobile at all when driving (although of course, I have done, but routinely I do not) --- but I'd rather see a biker with a phone jammed in his helmet than see one using one hand to hold it!

Thought: a lot of people seem to value their phones more than their brains: maybe some think the helmet will protect it
Old 26th May 2010, 14:47   #1109
BHPian

1. Closed ORVMs
2. Straddling lanes
3. Using mobile while driving / riding
4. No indicators while turning
5. Smokers who tap ash outside their cars - do you even realize how dangerous this is for a biker?
Old 26th May 2010, 15:51   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Child precariously 'sleeping' on the fuel tank of two wheelers is quite common in Chennai. In addition, one squeezed between rider and passenger, one clinging to the passenger is normal here. Nobody, including traffic cop bothers.
Once I tried to alert a man with the above configuration at a traffic light that the child is sleeping, and he told me "Its ok. She did not sleep in the afternoon today! So only she is sleeping now. Noppraablumm.". What else I could have done except ->

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks