Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 17:05   #11206
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I've long struggled with comprehending a typical behaviour I've seen while driving, I hope T-Bhp members can assist me in understanding it better. It's thus: In a two lane road without division, people tend to fashion out a "third" cramped lane. Alright. But when the traffic's stuck, clearly there's some obstruction or a policeman has stopped the flow of traffic, people seem to go over and above a "third" lane. I stick to my left-most lane but often people fashion out 2 parallel lanes, including one which blocks ENTIRELY the way of oncoming traffic. HOW do they expect the traffic to clear when they're completely blocking the opposite lane? Not half of it, ALL OF IT. How do people expect to reach their destination sooner by doing this? It will only slow everyone does and take more time to clear out than would otherwise take.

Can somebody help me?

Since I started driving, I've always seen people fashion out an extra lane out of being cramped between the existing lane and oncoming traffic. This new behaviour, I've only started witnessing in the last few months. It leaves me absolutely befuddled. I had it recorded on the dashcam but as I later found out, the footage has been overwritten.
RoadMonkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 02:09   #11207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
Can somebody help me?
No RoadMonkey, you are beyond help. Nobody can understand how filling both sides of a two way road is going to help anyone get anywhere at all.

But something else is even harder to understand: how these both-side jams ever get resolved! This is nothing short of a miracle!

I do recall, driving in London a decade or four ago, how rush hour traffic would, in an orderly and safe fashion, make two lanes out of one where the road was wide enough. And how much I resented it (and how much the jams got longer) when the powers that be made that impossible.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 02:31   #11208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But something else is even harder to understand: how these both-side jams ever get resolved! This is nothing short of a miracle!
I can help you with that. There are gentle or polite drivers who often leave way for the side lanes to "adjust" in their lane to give way for the oncoming traffic. I know this because I'm one of those polite drivers and want the jam resolved, even if it comes at the cost of a few extra minutes at my end.
RoadMonkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 08:08   #11209
BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody help me?
They are the half baked people with loose connections AKA Nerves to the brains. Can understand only half of anything and cannot stand on one side for any matters. That behaviour is shown on roads too.

I do the same as you, brake a bit, allow them to merge and proceed. Those 10 seconds are not going to cost much. But if I see them a bit arrogant I leave them to others mouth.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:12   #11210
BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody help me?

Since I started driving, I've always seen people fashion out an extra lane out of being cramped between the existing lane and oncoming traffic. This new behaviour, I've only started witnessing in the last few months. It leaves me absolutely befuddled. I had it recorded on the dashcam but as I later found out, the footage has been overwritten.
Commonly seen at railway level crossing gates where I live. After the gate opens, it’s a chaos for few mins and people who were on the right side on either direction let these morons go so the situation gets cleared and everyone can move on. So these idiots just take advantage of that.

Two wheelers have never bothered to wait behind a car or bigger vehicle in this country ever and sometimes even bigger vehicles like trucks do this which is super irksome. Just self centered people who care about only themselves and never about others.
Yieldway17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 22:11   #11211
BHPian

Found this video on Facebook.

I believe there are easier ways to kill yourself without taking out others.
Old 17th November 2020, 22:37   #11212
Distinguished - BHPian

It's raining, I am trailing a slow moving bus, and the two wheeler rider just can't wait for a few seconds to cross the road from the intersection.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:52   #11213
BHPian

Lane Discipline

Drivers are of the misconception that, once they are in a vehicle, the entire breadth of the road belongs to them and can go from this side to that side, when ever and where ever he wishes.

It's a usual sight in highways, when on curves, drivers tend to go from one side to the other side, as its easy to drive like that, as if they are racing and trying to find the perfect racing lane. They don't care about the traffic in those other lanes.

Here is one such incident..

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 14:36. Reason: spacing for improved readability
india008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 20:25   #11214
BHPian

Don't know if I should post this in Bad Drivers or Road rage thread, this is an incident which happened to me recently. There's no road rage / fight involved hence I'm posting in this thread.

Last saturday, I was driving my sister, my brother in law and their 11 month old son in their almost brand new Ford Ecosport 1.5 Petrol Titanium AT from Kukatpally (their residence) to Begumpet (our residence), my nephew wasn't feeling well from the last 1 week and was kind of cranky and dull all the time, used to cry all night without sleeping. My sister and my brother in law were busy with their work (work from home) and couldn't spend all their time with my nephew, so finally it was weekend and we wanted to take him to our place where we have all our family members and our pet (which he loves to play and cuddle with), and also a car drive (he loves to ride in cars and keeps smiling, never gets cranky when the car is on move!) my nephew is seated in the baby seat in the rear bench seat along with my sister, my brother in law is relatively new to driving and isn't comfortable driving in city in peak traffic, so he was in the front passenger seat and I took over the steering wheel.

After crossing Kukatpally Y-junction and Moosapet, we approached an area called Sanath Nagar, usually that place is quite congested during weekends, small fruit, vegetable stalls, duplicate tools, wooden tables, chairs made of low quality wood are sold road side and people usually go to this market to buy their vegetables, fruits and these products parking and double parking their vehicles on the main road by obstructing traffic big time. I was carefully driving the car avoiding sudden brakes, pedestrians and double parked bikes and cars on the road, my nephew was sound asleep in the baby seat by this time, all of a sudden a lady driving a Hyundai Venue started honking crazily , I wasn't even blocking her, I was in my lane, and she was behind the car which was beside me. The traffic was moving at snail's pace due to signals in the front and double parked vehicles and pedestrians crossing road haphazardly. She did not even stop honking for a second, she was continuously honking for 2 minutes straight and by this time her vehicle was behind mine, and my nephew woke up and started crying due to that loud horn sound. She was still honking and the traffic was stationary, I lost my temper and got down, when I went close to her car and requested her to stop honking, she rolled her windows down, the car is fully occupied with her friends with loud music, I smell some pungent smell like alcohol, she clearly couldn't hear to what I was speaking as the music from the car itself is very loud. By that time my sister got down and came next to me, she turned the volume down and my sister spontaneously said "Use your brain, not horn" , she gave a look and rolled up the windows turning the music on full blast. We went back to our car and got buckled up, out of no where, I heard a thud on the car, I did not know what happened, I again got down and saw the surroundings to see if our car got hit by something, but her car is still behind me, no other vehicles or pedestrians were near us, she again honked at me giving an egoistic look, I went back to our car, and drove back home. She also overtook us in an empty stretch to prove her point. After reaching home, while taking out my nephew's pram from the boot, I found some sticky liquid on the rear end portion of roof and boot glass. I found an empty can of redbull in between the spare wheel cover and the boot door.

On thinking about this incident deeply, I came to a conclusion that she might have tossed that red bull can from her venue's sunroof on to the Ecosport. I always thought girls in general are well mannered in India and they don't indulge in these kinds of mischievous activities, but I was wrong! I don't want to generalize things, that discussion is for some other day, but I was totally taken aback why would someone do this to complete strangers. Our car had a baby on board sticker on the rear windshield too. Very insensitive and aggressive girls! I wish our car had a front and rear dash cam to capture this incident and their number plate.
WhiteSierra is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:58   #11215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Lane Discipline
It's a usual sight in highways, when on curves, drivers tend to go from one side to the other side, as its easy to drive like that, as if they are racing and trying to find the perfect racing lane. They don't care about the traffic in those other lanes.

Here is one such incident..
Here is another such incident

india008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 18:08   #11216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/95DjBH9_vxs
Maybe there was more room than it looks like on camera, but the overtake at the beginning looked scary!

On an empty road you can follow whatever line you like around a curve. But you have to be able to see and know that you have that space. And that includes looking for vehicles coming fast from behind.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 18:14   #11217
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for
He is taking a perfect racing line. Must have been a professional racing driver working part time as a cabby on weekdays.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 16:08   #11218
BHPian

Lane Discipline

Innova driver carelessly changing lane,without even checking for any incoming traffic.

india008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 18:13   #11219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
I believe there are easier ways to kill yourself without taking out others.
He is making Mission Impossible Possible.
I don’t know how many expletive came out when I watched this video. This guy has to be barred from driving. But how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Our car had a baby on board sticker on the rear windshield too. Very insensitive and aggressive girls! I wish our car had a front and rear dash cam to capture this incident and their number plate.
Karma is a boomerang. Someday she will have the same sticker on her car and the incident will be repeated by a similar bad driver.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th November 2020 at 22:46. Reason: Posts merged as requested
Old 27th November 2020, 18:31   #11220
BHPian

Quote:
Lane Discipline

Innova driver carelessly changing lane,without even checking for any incoming traffic.
Yet another fool on the road who changes lanes as if he is walking in his house.

So obvious that he has ZERO awareness of vehicles around and is only looking in front of his vehicle if he has to go left/right .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks