Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 18:01   #1111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looks like i've started a trend! nice pictures

btw, i found out this website of Bangalore Traffic Police with lot of useful information. have a looksy

Rules and Regulations

Traffic Signs

Road Markings

Traffic Lights & Signals

Tips on Good Driving

Advice to Drivers
Thanks!

And indeed, you have started a trend! But observing this and taking pictures might help only a little or not at all. We need to do something about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
suhaas307, I'm surprised you didn't highlight the load on top of that auto! Not the most stable of vehicles even without any extra weight stuck right on top.
My internet is very cranky! When I was trying to edit my post and highlight not only the flimsy unstable auto carrying that load, but also the that truck carrying those sharp metal rods and construction material!

It's very sad actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
5. Smokers who tap ash outside their cars - do you even realize how dangerous this is for a biker?
I used to do this and I kick myself even now. Heights of irresponsibility and crude behavior.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:49   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

Good grief, me too! (although I haven't smoked for 17 years).

Ash is bad enough, but I guess I never thought what it must be like for a biker to get a glowing cigarette end in the eye
Old 26th May 2010, 21:05   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ash is bad enough, but I guess I never thought what it must be like for a biker to get a glowing cigarette end in the eye
don't know about the eye, but i got it on my feet one day (was wearing floaters) from a guy driving a NHC! i used to (ages ago and when the helmet rule wasn't in effect) smoke while riding my bike, with the cigarette between my fingers. can't do it now though - because now i don't ride my bike without my helmet

smoking in car - forget it! if i see anyone getting a cigarette near my baby, they had it!
Old 27th May 2010, 09:44   #1114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
don't know about the eye, but i got it on my feet one day (was wearing floaters) from a guy driving a NHC! i used to (ages ago and when the helmet rule wasn't in effect) smoke while riding my bike, with the cigarette between my fingers. can't do it now though - because now i don't ride my bike without my helmet

smoking in car - forget it! if i see anyone getting a cigarette near my baby, they had it!
I do light up once in a while while driving. It isn't the right thing to do but I use the ashtray. But I must add that it's quite a rarity with me. If I need my fix that bad, I might as well pull over and enjoy one by the side of the road!
Old 27th May 2010, 10:04   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
And indeed, you have started a trend! But observing this and taking pictures might help only a little or not at all. We need to do something about this!
don't know if someone has already done this before, but we could compile a list of do's and don'ts using pictures and put it as a sticky somewhere on the forum for all to see
Old 27th May 2010, 10:19   #1116
BHPian

On my way to work today near Delmia circle there was this joker on a bike who was coming straight at me. I was cheesed of and did not budge. I wanted to get out of the car and give a piece of mind to him however did not really want to begin my day with a fight! God this is so very frustrating and to top it this guy appeared educated and on his way to office!! When will our country learn to respect rules and regulations...
Old 27th May 2010, 10:21   #1117
BHPian

I think the problem with road users in our country is that we don't have any kind of respect for the other road users. The other day i was returning home on my bike on Old Airport road near Marathahalli. There were cars parked on the left side of the road and the remaining road wide enough for probably two cars passing at a time and the road was full of traffic. There was this guy driving an I10 ahead of me and he stopped suddenly in the middle of the road. Instead of turning right and disturbing the traffic on that lane, i waited thinking that he would move on. Then i noticed, his family was getting off the car, so i thought he would move on once they got off the car. To my surprise, they got off and he continued waiting in the middle of the road in rush hour traffic, oblivious to the fact that he was disrupting a lot of vehicles behind him :O . I don't like to honk, so i switched on my turn indicator and moved to the other lane, but i wanted to show him the finger to show him how bad a driver he was . I resisted though and went on my way .
Old 27th May 2010, 10:32   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
don't know if someone has already done this before, but we could compile a list of do's and don'ts using pictures and put it as a sticky somewhere on the forum for all to see
Absolutely! Sounds like a plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
On my way to work today near Delmia circle there was this joker on a bike who was coming straight at me. I was cheesed of and did not budge. I wanted to get out of the car and give a piece of mind to him however did not really want to begin my day with a fight! God this is so very frustrating and to top it this guy appeared educated and on his way to office!! When will our country learn to respect rules and regulations...
I've been in that situation before. I know that it's frustrating. The most basic rule is to stick to your side of the road and when you have bikers hurtling towards you for reasons known only to them, you actually feel like getting out and giving them a hiding.

While on my way to Vasanthnagar one evening (off Millers Road), I was greeted by a swarm (I swear, bikers are like a swarm of bees!) of two-wheelers on my side of the road. I purposely drove on the extreme right side of the road (still sticking to my side but just next to the superficial white-lines) with my lights on and ticked off everyone!

It wasn't the nicest thing to do. Playing fire with fire actually shows your immaturity! But frustration got the better of me. I swear I will not do that again!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th May 2010 at 10:34.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:04   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I don't like to honk, so i switched on my turn indicator and moved to the other lane, but i wanted to show him the finger to show him how bad a driver he was . I resisted though and went on my way .
Looks like he is blissfully unaware of what he did. If you had honked, he would have known why you are honking. If you had shown the finger, he would be wondering why you did that.

Root issue is the learning process. People get license with out knowing the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I swear, bikers are like a swarm of bees!
Locusts is a more apt word, from the kind of behavior on display.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:56   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Root issue is the learning process. People get license with out knowing the rules.
Saw a Chevy Spark on Bannerghatta road early this week driving at around 20kmph in the middle of 2lanes. ( I think he wanted to maintain the avg speed of Bangalore )

Honked once, didn give way, honked another time, didn give way. Thus I had overtake from left. And finally I see that he has TEAMBHP stickers all around his car. . God, how I wonder he was driving that way after joining our forum.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:33   #1121
BANNED

IMO the people from down south of TN are the BAD drivers. by saying that i might have hurt few(dont take it personally) but people i meant are those vegetable vendors ,the guys from interior TN who come to city for job and dont a clue about the so called disciplined driving /road sense and never seen huge traffic in their home town.

I have won bets with my friends a lot of times ,i would say that a car/bike is from out of city by the way he/she drives without seeing the registration plates and it will be true 95% of the times.

Dear friends again, please dont get offended
Old 31st May 2010, 09:29   #1122
Senior - BHPian

^^ Well, in that way, there is no 'native' chennaite so to speak. Everyone driving in Chennai has to be from somwhere south of Chennai, As Chennai is the north-most part of Tamil Nadu. Well, I am driving in Chennai for the past 3 years, and Chennai registered vehicles are no different than non-chennai registered vehicles when it comes to 'disciplined' driving. Its arrogance and not ignorance. "Who is driving with discipline here? Why should I only drive with discipline" - This attitude is why everyone is driving as if the road is 'free-for-all'. Of course, I come from Tirunelveli and I have reasons to get offended, but never mind. Its your personal observation and I take it just that way.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:06   #1123
Senior - BHPian

What a new driver should look out for??

Here is from the horse mouth.
As a person who is driving the car for the first time in his life this is what I have learnt in last two months. Hope will help any person who learnt driving car.

1. Most dangerous things on the road are Parked Buses and Trucks. When you see them slow down. You never know when the angels behind their wheels start moving the vehicle to middle of the road, others be damned. And then even if you stop but not behind them, they will graze your car as they move on. After all you are not on a small Pulsar.

2. Next most dangerous things on the roads are brown Tata 407 especially the water tankers. Learnt it the hard way.

3. Next in the list are pedestrians. Now matter how far they are when you see them flash( the lights ) and horn. Increase the frequency if the person happens to be a woman.

4. Here is surprise entry. Humble speed breakers. In Bangalore they test out camouflage techniques first on speed breakers then on military vehicles. Cure? Watch keep an eye on butts of the cars moving in front of you. If they bob up an down then there is something lurking there. Was a life saver for me couple of times in the nights.

5. Here is something which might surprise some. If you are a new person at wheels do not fiddle with music controls or AC buttons or wiggle your rear to adjust better while in motion. All these somehow flows to the steering wheel and your car dances around and people around you will join in which free music from their horns. And never ever try to slide driver seat to adjust when car is moving. Park car somewhere and do the necessary.

So keep fiddling with controls to later stage when car has become part of your body.

6. Go slow over speed breakers. Days of flying over the speed breakers using "A** off the seat" technique are over once you graduate to a car.

7. Most important. Keep glancing to the rear view mirrors. Make it your second nature.

8. Listen to Bhajans in car to keep your cool. I am doing it. Yes I am doing it. And whenever I am at receiving end of rash bad driving and gestures I think of Maya and Transient nature of human existence. California@Tupac Shakur will have to wait till my brain rewires itself.

9. Will end with this non standard advice. Always honk once when you are overtaking someone. A short note. Don't know if they hear it inside those rolled up windows car, but it makes me feel that they know I am overtaking and makes me feel safe to overtake. Of course don't just honk and overtake. Do your usual maths before that then add this to the routine.

@Mods: Feels free to move this post if deemed necessary.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:13   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't know about the eye, but i got it on my feet one day (was wearing floaters) from a guy driving a NHC!
You should have picked that up and dropped it inside his cabin by the next stop light, as you see in the new scooter ad from Mahindra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
California@Tupac Shakur will have to wait till my brain rewires itself.
Man! that's one of my favorite songs! Listened to it yesterday night while driving alone

EDIT: Mods, Sorry I accidentally posted two withing 20 minutes, please merge.

Last edited by bblost : 31st May 2010 at 12:29.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:27   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You should have picked that up and dropped it inside his cabin by the next stop light, as you see in the new scooter ad from Mahindra!
no way! there was a swarm of vehicles behind me and stopping to in the middle of the road to pick that cigarette bud would have certainly meant me going deaf (people just love honking)! also, he went straight and i had to turn right. wasn't worth the effort

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks