Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 18:14   #11296
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 833
Thanked: 1,141 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Chanced upon something similar today afternoon on the highway here. Saw a man on a two wheeler grabbing onto the head of a dog on the side of the road. The dog was trying it's best to back off but our man seemed to have a good grip.

Saw him get off the scooter then in the rearview mirror.

With a shake of my head i kept driving on...somethings are best left behind.
deathwalkr is offline  
Old 11th January 2021, 21:46   #11297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Blr/Hyd
Posts: 203
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

On Dec 24th, I was driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad when I saw a Honda City which had hit a truck standing on the side and was badly damaged. Read later that family of 4 from Blr had died in that accident. Didn't take any pics as I was driving. The accident had just happened I guess and people were running towards the car. It was a maroon Honda City and the engine had been pushed almost till the back seat, that's how bad the accident was. The container truck was actually parked on the shoulder, legitimately and looks like the car was trying to overtake from the left when it hit the parked truck.

People drive like crazy on NH44. The roads are good, but that doesn't mean one should try to squeeze in narrowest of gaps and try to race at greater than 100kmph speeds. It doesn't show the skill but rather the immaturity and stupidity of the drivers in my opinion, putting not only they and their passengers at risk but also other vehicles on the road at risk too.

Then on 3/1, I was driving back Bangalore to Hyderabad and was going around 100kmph in my Jazz on NH44 , when an Audi SUV with two young boys(probably around 10-12 years) sticking out of the sunroof zoomed past me on the highway. Clearly money doesn't buy common sense! And people can have a degree and still be stupid! All it takes is sudden braking for the kids to have injuries to their back or other parts of their body, not to mention hitting something hanging down from trees etc, or flying stones/pebbles from trucks in front.

Please ensure you don't have anyone sticking out of sunroof in moving car, especially on highways - that too kids!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2021 at 22:32. Reason: typo
sanchari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:04   #11298
BHPian
 
nagarjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 108
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Kids sticking out of the sunroofs has become quite common these days as almost every car in the market now has a sunroof and we never had a dearth of idiots.

My car had stone hit and windshield cracking once on this highway and recently by brother in law also had a similar experience on this road. There are numerous dump trucks flouting all kinds of rules plying on this road, especially about 70-100km distance from Bangalore, carry jelly stones, M-sand etc towards Bangalore.

I can't even imagine the damage/injury if the same stone hits a child sticking is neck out of the sunroof.
nagarjun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:25   #11299
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,657
Thanked: 16,091 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
... I can't even imagine the damage/injury if the same stone hits a child sticking is neck out of the sunroof.
Good point! I've thought of all sorts of reasons why this behaviour is wrong, over the years, but actually never thought of this one. Cheers!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:17   #11300
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Kids sticking out of the sunroofs has become quite common these days as almost every car in the market now has a sunroof and we never had a dearth of idiots.

My car had stone hit and windshield cracking once on this highway and recently by brother in law also had a similar experience on this road. There are numerous dump trucks flouting all kinds of rules plying on this road, especially about 70-100km distance from Bangalore, carry jelly stones, M-sand etc towards Bangalore.

I can't even imagine the damage/injury if the same stone hits a child sticking is neck out of the sunroof.
IMHO no one actually uses a sunroof. When you buy a new car, you may try it out once or twice, and then about a week later you forget that itís even there. If itís raining, opening it would be insane. And if itís hot out, itís just a hole in the roof letting the air-conditioned atmosphere escape. As you have mentioned most of the new cars now come with a sunroof which is nothing but a marketing gimmick to attract potential buyers of fancy stuff. I know many here may berate me for this opinion but personally its more of a hazard than a utility.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 20:20   #11301
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tamil Nadu
Posts: 465
Thanked: 885 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Kids sticking out of the sunroofs has become quite common these days as almost every car in the market now has a sunroof and we never had a dearth of idiots.
Thanks to movies and in some cases the car advertisements themselves. I was behind an Audi on NH 45/32 once and for the entire duration of 15-20 mins I was behind them, the kids were in and out of the sunroof.

They stopped for break in the same restaurant rest area I stopped and I was parked next to them. When they came back to leave again, I casually mentioned to the driver that it's unsafe and he chided me to mind by business and I did.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:14   #11302
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,657
Thanked: 16,091 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
IMHO no one actually uses a sunroof. When you buy a new car, you may try it out once or twice, and then about a week later you forget that itís even there. If itís raining, opening it would be insane. And if itís hot out, itís just a hole in the roof letting the air-conditioned atmosphere escape. As you have mentioned most of the new cars now come with a sunroof which is nothing but a marketing gimmick to attract potential buyers of fancy stuff. I know many here may berate me for this opinion but personally its more of a hazard than a utility.
For me, it would be just another place where the sun's heat can penetrate. Not suited to the Chennai climate or the Chennai pollution.

I suppose there is one use that I might make of it that I did in London: if the car has been parked in the sun and is an oven inside, the sunroof is a great way of releasing the hot air quickly. Other memories from a temperate climate: it is, on a nice day, a draught-free alternative to the windows when you want to let that outside air in. Did I enjoy sunroofs in England? Yes. Would I want one here: no.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 22:58   #11303
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 11,621 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Tossing trash out of sunroofs at highway speeds appears to be the new fad.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 00:12   #11304
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 202
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tossing trash out of sunroofs at highway speeds appears to be the new fad.
Waiting to hear news of people in busses spitting into someone's car through the sunroof. That'll be hilarious
nikhilthegunner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 09:35   #11305
Newbie
 
Joshua_Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 10
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This just got sent in to me. Probably contender for "World's closest overtake" or "World's most lucky trucker"
The cabin of the container lorry could have been ripped off, if the tanker had been a millimeter to the right!
Joshua_Ray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 10:43   #11306
BHPian
 
VKumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 689
Thanked: 4,266 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Ray View Post
Probably contender for "World's closest overtake"
This one still didn't beat me, I had my ORVM reach under the bed of the trailer that I was overtaking, in fact the mirror could have got broken in no time.

That said, I encountered an idiot on a busy 4 lane stretch:
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 19:15   #11307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: AP-26 | KL-01
Posts: 64
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Is it braking a sin or is the brakes became obsolete

The woman in activa seems to be in her own world and doesn't care about the incoming traffic, before joining a main road. If i haven't braked, it would have been a sure shot accident.

india008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 23:01   #11308
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,657
Thanked: 16,091 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
The woman in activa seems to be in her own world and doesn't care about the incoming traffic...
Are two-wheelers being taught that they must only look ahead? I can't understand how the basic self-preservation technique of looking for other traffic has been lost. Did this woman, and thousands of other people like her, cross roads on foot like this? How did they survive?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 08:29   #11309
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN-11, AP-03
Posts: 449
Thanked: 1,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Waiting to hear news of people in busses spitting into someone's car through the sunroof. That'll be hilarious
I have seen this happen. Not on the sunroof but inside the car through the open window. Saw a guy on the bus stopped at trying to spit his zarda pan. A Scorpio started to overtake the bus just when the guy started to empty his mouth. Witnessed a chase to overtake the bus and stop it. Donít know what happened after that.

Happened at Medavakkam junction towards Velachery in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are two-wheelers being taught that they must only look ahead? I can't understand how the basic self-preservation technique of looking for other traffic has been lost. Did this woman, and thousands of other people like her, cross roads on foot like this? How did they survive?
They think that, they have the first right on the road and they are all horses with bridle with the destination as their only goal.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2021 at 09:10. Reason: Back to back posts.
saisree is offline  
Old 21st January 2021, 19:05   #11310
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,679
Thanked: 5,460 Times
Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Found a special kind of stupid on facebook today :



PS might need facebook here.
mayankk is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks