Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 20:24   #11911
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Came across there two bad drivers recently.

Guy on the scooter wants to take a free right. But there are some bikes on the left side blocking his way. So instead of waiting behind them, he proceeds to overtake me from the right and cut across to the right.

Extremely rash overtaking by the lorry, pushing me into the shoulder. This is a common pattern seen on KL roads. The heavy vehicles, especially buses and lorries own the road, and all other motorists are at their mercy.

GeneralJazz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 19:32   #11912
BHPian

Two incidents from my BIL's dashcam.

First one is self explanatory. It's a private bus in Kerala being itself.

The dashcams in all our cars are always muted due to decree from my sister and parents. I can assure that the horn is blown judiciously before every curve/overtake.

In this case the Creta moved back to its lane when he heard the horn. Then all of a sudden he decided it's better to just shove my BIL off the road at 70 kph.

Keeleri_Achu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:03   #11913
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at this guy. He has gone on record to be a hands free rider. Most of us do not entertain phone calls while driving saying "I am in the traffic" or "main traffic mein hoon". But this guy entertains two different calls on two of his phones while riding.

It's certainly an unsafe driving practice and the link could also invoke youngsters to emulate this illegal feat which is not recommended and needs to be condemned. He was captured on the Baroda Police CCTV and issued an e-challan. The amended law prohibits use of mobile phones while driving or even when the vehicle is at a traffic signal. A heavy fine is imposed. But the lawmakers have never thought about doubling this fine (or more) for use of two mobile phones.

The link:-

https://www.cartoq.com/man-gujarat-h...orcycle-phone/
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:32   #11914
BHPian

Never really understood why truckers think they can overtake another truck, on a ghat road and on a blind curve!

This is an old video while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Bangalore, in Nov 2021. The route shown here in the video is the Thenmala ghat section.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 7th March 2022 at 16:33. Reason: more details
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 17:44   #11915

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Never really understood why truckers think they can overtake another truck, on a ghat road and on a blind curve!

This is an old video while I was travelling from Trivandrum to Bangalore, in Nov 2021. The route shown here in the video is the Thenmala ghat section.

https://Youtu.be/qaPiyWEY1Bc

That was a heart stopping moment to watch. How did you walk(drive) that off? We had a similar instance recently. Feb 23 , my cousins and i drove downs to native Kumbakonam in my car , and a Volvo bus decides to overtake us. There is no problem with that, except for the fact that he immediately merged with his rear almost touching the car right front, and a lorry was bearing down on us from the front.

We usually just let them pass by slowing down and observe how much they are pushing their vehicle. No point in wasting time with these people. Its also possible that post Covid induced lock downs , people have forgotten how to drive en masse and good drivers are a rare breed .
doomketu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:09   #11916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomketu View Post
That was a heart stopping moment to watch. How did you walk(drive) that off?
Hehe! Having spent a lot of time on roads (cars and bikes), I have started to get better at anticipation. And I say that's the key to better safe driving.

When I saw the slow moving truck coming up, I was bracing myself for a possibility of another vehicle trying to overtake it. I just didn't expect it to be an equally sized truck! It's a right handed turn for the oncoming traffic with their opposite lane "free" for an overtake. Every time you see that situation, expect that a vehicle is coming on the wrong lane trying to overtake at a blind corner. Trust me, it happens 7/10 times (unfortunately).

I had my feet on the brake when I could see the slow truck and the moment I turned into that corner I had realised my anticipation was accurate. Also goes to show how "quick" (read slow) our responses really are to a particular stimuli

Heart stopped but didn't come to mouth thankfully! I could walk it away because I anticipated it was coming.
krishnakumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:55   #11917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Every time you see that situation, expect that a vehicle is coming on the wrong lane trying to overtake at a blind corner. Trust me, it happens 7/10 times (unfortunately).
In these winding roads with blind curves, i usually visualize a KSRTC bus barelling towards me and my foot automatically eases pressure on the accelerator and anticipates having to brake.

Better safe than sorry i always say
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 13:35   #11918
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I encountered this Skoda Slavia test mule on Mumbai - Pune expressway. It was being driven in such a pathetic manner, I am out of words to describe it. He was zig zagging through lanes at 80-100 km/h worse than an autorickshaw. Saw him tailgating trucks, like almost touching the truck's backside. His front wheels showed typical signs of impatience - rapid movements to left & right while sticking to the truck's backside.

He then sprang into my lane right in front of me. If we had not slammed on the brakes, it was a sure accident. Public road is not the place to test the car's high speed handling. That guy would surely scare the living daylights out of some faint hearted driver. Absolutely pathetic, coming from a car manufacturer itself.

I have tweeted about it to Zac Hollis, waiting to see if they care to at least respond.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 17:31   #11919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I have tweeted about it to Zac Hollis, waiting to see if they care to at least respond.
Have seen this many times on the expressway and even after the E-way ends all the way till Wakad. Most of them have been the VAG cars who drive recklessly.

Also have videos shot on my dashcam. There was a particular Slavia mule which was easily doing 150+ since I was doing 90 and he just disappeared.
Old 12th March 2022, 21:05   #11920
BHPian

Never saw such an kacha Badam

https://www.facebook.com/reel/314997...8978?fs=e&s=cl

Last edited by saisree : 12th March 2022 at 21:15.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:20   #11921
Senior - BHPian

Paytm founder and CEO Vijay Shekhar Sharma arrested (and released on bail) in a case of road accident:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...g-8225931.html

Quote:
Sharma [rammed] a Jaguar Land Rover into the vehicle of Benita Mary Jaiker, DCP (South district) on February 22...
Edit: Looks like it was a case of simply rear-ending at a bad-traffic location, not really road rage.

Last edited by binand : 13th March 2022 at 11:22.
Old 16th March 2022, 22:24   #11922
BHPian

Came across this in Insta..can't really believe someone did this

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaxGL...dium=copy_link
gabrielthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 10:15   #11923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Came across this in Insta..can't really believe someone did this
Just when you think you have seen it all! That was just nuts

Looks like a private road but even so, the incident is just stupid dangerous. For social media likes perhaps.
Old 17th March 2022, 11:23   #11924
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this dude in the morning. He was literally balancing his kid on the left arm. Moreover, no helmet and no rear view mirror on the right side.

naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 16:52   #11925
BHPian

When idiots go out to celebrate:

https://twitter.com/GabbbarSingh/sta...sj1yDxtjdLmpbQ

Mods: Don't know how to attach Twitter videos. If there is a way, request you to do so. Thanks.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed