Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:56   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300
how come no one mentioned BMTC buses in bangalore ? they are licensed to kill!...
Though pretty recently i had an encounter with a BMTC bus. i normally dont consider them as bad drivers...

Infact the bus drivers condition are much better off in bangalore. If you at any point of time lived in madras, you will know what i am saying. I think the recomonded capacity is 40 seating and 40 standing or some thing like that. But during peak hour, these buses are jam packed, with around 10 or more will be hanging out of the bus at both front and rear entrance alone. No one knows exactly how many people are indside...

No idea what the chasis is made up of, at these times the bus will be tilted to some 30 degress or so... and still these guys manage to drive them thru peak hour traffic jam, with bus stops around every corner, with no PS and that nasty gear. And inspite of all these, the bus drivers i guess have a much better track record than the truck drivers.

The qualis and auto drivers are the worst of the pack. Bus drivers are much much better than these guys. Infact i would say that they are better than even the 2 wheelers...

BTW does any one have an idea of what the torque, bhp, cc of these ashok leyland, tata engines???
Old 22nd April 2005, 11:16   #107
Team-BHP Support

imbiciles!! wondered it was coz of lack of sleep and frustration that makes them do all this, NOPE its more to do with education (lack of it) and typical indian mentality (kutch bhi chaltha hein yaar)...
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

for guys coming to pune or driving in pune

watchout for

any lady driving a two wheeler within radius of 200 meters

and ofcourse the usual Richkshaw wala, collage kids on bike (thinking they are cool), call centre guys in indicab, and watchout from any modified lancer
Old 25th April 2005, 23:41   #109
BHPian

In south bombay it has to be the cabbies.These guys think they own the road.I have a lot of fun making their lives miserable at the PDP and kemps corner signals.Another big menace is any fancy car which makes a lot of noise-usually lancers and RS driven by rich gujju kids who think they are Indias answer to michael schumacher.
Old 25th April 2005, 23:48   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
BTW does any one have an idea of what the torque, bhp, cc of these ashok leyland, tata engines???
The Tata model name should give you an idea of their bhp figures (for commercial vehicles):

For Eg:

1210 = 12 Tonnes (Payload) 100 bhp

407 = 4 Tonnes, 70 bhp (actually its more than 70 but they ran out of digits)

609 = 6 tonnes, 90 bhp (all bhp figures rounded off to nearest 10, I think)

207 = 2 Tonnes (???) 70 bhp (here its 63 something)

1516 = 15 tonnes, 160 bhp

1312 = 13 Tonnes, 120 bhp

and so on and so forth. I dont know if this still holds good - this was taught to me by my cousin when I visited the Tata factory in Jamshedpur as a kid. He was working there and gave me a whole lot of posters of Tata's export model buses and trucks which looked very impressive to me at that age!

I think I still have those posters at home somewhere - must ask my parents about them...
Old 6th May 2005, 15:53   #111
BHPian

How to spot em ??

1> Ever noticed a vehicle braking frequently?? Either the driver is in a hurry or he is plain nervous. Keep away from the vehicle coz the driver may brake anytime or may take a wild turn either to the right or the left without looking behind.

2> You can see the person in the front car talking on the phone while driving. Be careful and keep away from him. Don't try to overtake him while he is talking on the phone. Either Honk and try to get his attention before you overtake, or wait till he is done and then overtake him. Chances are that he is busy in the conversation and he is not aware of the road conditions.. Don't forget to show him your middle finger as you overtake him..

3> You can see the person in the front car talking to his co-passengers.. Ditto as above, but don't show him any finger.. He might come after you..

4> An autorickshaw is slowing down in front of you. Get Alert, chances are that he may turn to his right or left without giving any warning or indication.

5> A beautiful girl is riding on the pillion rider of a bike.. Chances are that the guy is trying to impress her.. Be careful and get out of the way.. He is more likely to take risks while riding..

6> An overloaded bus or Truck in front of you. Take care and keep safe distance. You never know when they brake.

7> Anybody going to the left of a bus. Chances are that you'll get stuck when the bus stops at the bus-stop. Never overtake a bus from the left side.

8> Never overtake a lady driver from the left side. They are more eager to give way to aggressive drivers by pulling to the left lane. Incase you happen to be in her blind zone, god save you.

Manish.
Old 9th May 2005, 22:14   #112
BHPian

Hyd ricks take the cake...They can swirl 360 degrees - either in motion or still. & worst is when they take U turns right in the middle of the flyovers..

When someone asks me why do I have both the rear view mirrors, i say,its like batting in cricket, you should know where your leg stump & off stumps are !!

IMO, both rear view mirrors should be made compulsory..Not worth a Cost Cutting by Auto Manufacturers in India
Old 9th May 2005, 22:39   #113
Team-BHP Support

Anything which has a Ferarri sticker on it unless placed there by the Scuderia themselves
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2005, 22:53   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Anything which has a Ferarri sticker on it unless placed there by the Scuderia themselves

hahahaha, thats a great one ajmat....!
Old 9th May 2005, 23:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1

IMO, both rear view mirrors should be made compulsory..Not worth a Cost Cutting by Auto Manufacturers in India
couldn't agree more
but the problem is people with having drivers side mirror don't even use it!
my sister used to do it, & one morning while taking reverse (in typical ladies fashion) she went straight back & hit a tree damanging backside of her M800

by the way damn good one ajmat

Last edited by adya33 : 9th May 2005 at 23:12.
Old 12th May 2005, 13:47   #116
BHPian

i have heard that the bus drivers in kerala are the worst. anyone from kerala please reply
Old 27th June 2005, 19:13   #117
BHPian

Dr Evil from Hell!!

I do this 3 kms of straight run every day from home to work (Noida - Indian Oil to Nimbus Hyundai). There is this female Dr. (I see a stethoscope plus red Cross sticker on her rear windscreen) in a 3~4 yr old Zen. She is a driver straight from hell. Timings are such that I end up behind her 4 times out of six, on a weekly basis (Only in the mornings - thank Godness!). She drives with both the rear view mirrors folded-in and with no regard to what is hapenning around her (have seen a lotsa guys giving her the finger but I am sure she would not even notice). I try to keep my safe distance of at least 3~4 meters from her.

Suddenly, I miss her like for a week or so. Boy, was I glad. But my hapiness was short lived. The other day, I was happily chugging along in my old jalopy (1988 Padmini) when I I noticed a shiny new palio kissing my rear bumper. I accelerated a bit and gave the Palio some more room to overtake me from the right - which It did and in the process took my right rear view mirror out. It is only then that I noticed the familiar red cross on the rear windsceen - the evil Dr. from hell was back on the streets and prowling on the streets for a new victim.

Guys from Noida - Beware! You have been warned.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2005, 19:23   #118
BHPian

Sorry, completly forgot the Call Centre Qualise and Domino's Delivery boyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Just saw a call centre sumo go smack into the start of the dividers on Hosur Road (near Langford Town) - these guys think they are immortal!
Call centre Qualis cabbies..hmmm..(very deep!) hmm....MORONS AND baasTURDS THEY ARE.
Quoting Ajmat, in their belief lies our salvation - as long as they do not kill us in the first place!!
Also, 30 minutes nahin to free - Ta-ra-ra-re-Pizza-aaye-free Domino Delivery boyz have made life miserable here in Noida - any thing in Red and Blue which flies past in a haze is not Superman - It is them these retards.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2005, 19:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
I do this 3 kms of straight run every day from home to work (Noida - Indian Oil to Nimbus Hyundai). There is this female Dr. (I see a stethoscope plus red Cross sticker on her rear windscreen) in a 3~4 yr old Zen. She is a driver straight from hell. Timings are such that I end up behind her 4 times out of six, on a weekly basis (Only in the mornings - thank Godness!). She drives with both the rear view mirrors folded-in and with no regard to what is hapenning around her (have seen a lotsa guys giving her the finger but I am sure she would not even notice). I try to keep my safe distance of at least 3~4 meters from her.

Suddenly, I miss her like for a week or so. Boy, was I glad. But my hapiness was short lived. The other day, I was happily chugging along in my old jalopy (1988 Padmini) when I I noticed a shiny new palio kissing my rear bumper. I accelerated a bit and gave the Palio some more room to overtake me from the right - which It did and in the process took my right rear view mirror out. It is only then that I noticed the familiar red cross on the rear windsceen - the evil Dr. from hell was back on the streets and prowling on the streets for a new victim.

Guys from Noida - Beware! You have been warned.

Cheers

now i know why people are looking for one "dr. death"
Old 20th September 2005, 19:50   #120
BHPian

hey guys, i think u r doing the survey the wrong way, u should actually search for good drivers rather than talk about bad drivers, bc 90% of indian drivers are bad and this site will run out of space so lets talk about good drivers

Most Viewed