Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2022, 15:57   #12001
BHPian

Default Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Just wait for the rainy season to begin. Many more idiots will start popping out of the sunroofs then. Just a single drive to Mahabaleshwar or Lonavla would be enough to spam this thread with videos.
adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 14:15   #12002
BHPian

So I had a near-accident experience while doing an overtaking maneuver that I'm not confident was 100% right. Which is why I've attached a little bit of pre-incident footage, to show that both lanes were occupied by cars moving at ~35-40 in a highway.

The Figo cut into my lane as I was honking while overtaking (I usually do, I assume the drivers never check rear view mirrors, especially left ones). Cherry on top, the Xylo in front of him cut in a similar manner in front of him!

It took me a couple of seconds to get over what Figo did, I was already in the middle of overtaking, not like it was a contentious issue of aggression.

On that note, I've noticed that DL number diesel cars which can no longer run in the NCR are some of the worst driven cars in Punjab. Presumably people bought them for dirt cheap prices and don't really care about how they drive.

RoadMonkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 15:38   #12003
BHPian

Looking at growing number of kids dangerously jutting out their bodies through the sunroof in expensive cars or expensive variant of a particular car ; Robert T Kiyosaki can easily come up with another international bestseller "RICH DAD, POOR KIDS"
DrCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 01:10   #12004
BHPian

Default Re: When will this craze stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
We are deterministic individuals living in a probabilistic world.
When people do such acts, they have to keep in mind, What can go wrong with such a maneuver.
Interesting that you brought up this point. Sticking out through the sunroof is no doubt dangerous. But, chances of child passengers getting seriously hurt due to such instances are very rare (or at least poorly documented). The most commonly documented instances are like these. Child passengers are more likely to get hurt in practices which seem harmless at initial viewing, such as traveling unrestrained in an adult's lap. Yet, carrying a child in an adult's lap does not provoke the same reaction as seeing children poking out through the sunroof. We humans have an interesting way to look at the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
There is an interesting concept called Markov Chains, where the probability of next event depends on the most recent event, but not on the entire history of events.
I had never heard of this concept before. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
That's why I think it would be a good idea if the Government mandated a permanent warning label on the headliner, much like the visor warning for using a rearward-facing child seat on a seat with an active airbag. Once there's significant awareness of the hazards they could even penalise it by law (if it isn't already?).
High chances any warning label will be ignored just like the visor one. Also, I believe such acts are penalised under the MVA. But, just like any other traffic offense punishment, the penalty will be bypassed.
Awareness may work only if the message comes directly from the manufacturer. Through their adverts and sales teams. Buyers usually use features as they are depicted.
I dont see any manufacturer taking this step though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
Just wondering, if the manufacturers install some sort of sensor in these sunroof in open condition. Purpose being, that once the sunroof is open and the sensor detects any person/object protruding out, it will either slow down the car or wont allow the driver to start moving. Just a weird thought.
An interesting suggestion. But, why only for sunroofs? The same system should also apply to belt usage. Lack of belt usage kills much more than sticking out of the sunroof
Rohan265 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 11:44   #12005

Pardon me if this is in the wrong thread but continuing with the last post in this thread I would like to mention that I have seen two instances where I have seen the parent (Father) driving the car with a toddler in his lap.
On both the occasions I had to double check by rubbing my eyes to see whether what I was seeing was actually taking place. And yes this was in Mumbai
makaarandsaraf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:56   #12006
BHPian

So we have seen a lot of buses bullying 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. And then there is this video.

I am not really very sure what the person was trying to achieve but i think he must have got up in the morning and felt like aaj such toofani karte hai. Maybe Thums up or Mountain Dew people can get it touch with him..

Source - Honda Activa rider rides in front of a Govt bus for 4 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaarandsaraf View Post
And yes this was in Mumbai
Quite a common sight in Mumbai. Toddler in Lap / Toddler enjoying being outside the sunroof /Kids on backside of car but literally kneeling between the the 2 seats and at talking to parents who ironically are belted up. Heck there was even a video with toddler on the steering wheel.

Last edited by nick.cs : 16th May 2022 at 13:02.
nick.cs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:11   #12007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
I am not really very sure what the person was trying to achieve but i think he must have got up in the morning and felt like aaj such toofani karte hai.
Not defending him in any way, but I think there is some back story to this - maybe the bus bullied him earlier and this is his way of getting back at the driver. Whenever KeSRTC is involved my first instinct is to blame them.

The man's an idiot though - putting his own life at risk. To what purpose?
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 14:45   #12008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not defending him in any way, but I think there is some back story to this - maybe the bus bullied him earlier and this is his way of getting back at the driver. Whenever KeSRTC is involved my first instinct is to blame them.

The man's an idiot though - putting his own life at risk. To what purpose?
I suppose he doesnít need a helmet, what with that thick head and all. But the real takeaway from this video is this - donít bring a knife to a gunfight.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 15:34   #12009
BHPian

This happened on Nice Road yesterday, while I'm coming from Bannerghatta Road.

The biker would've had, his heart in his mouth, by the sudden lane change of the truck.

Is the truck driver trying to stop ? I'm not sure. why he is trying to move to shoulder area, on a curve ???

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 16th May 2022 at 15:53.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 18:18   #12010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Yet, carrying a child in an adult's lap does not provoke the same reaction as seeing children poking out through the sunroof.
It does from me. I regard it as almost as dangerous as carrying the child on a bike!
Quote:
The same system should also apply to belt usage. Lack of belt usage kills much more than sticking out of the sunroof
I'm all for encouraging seat belt use, but I don't think you can make that statement without taking into account the very small number of cars here that have sunroofs.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 18:23   #12011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
All of this with a kid sticking out of the sunroof.
Well, one of my colleague said he was forced to buy a car with sunroof as his young daughter wants to go on drives popping out of the sunroof enjoying the breeze. I was shocked but I couldn't educate him as he is a well educated idiot. Wouldn't listen as he knows too much. Only God can save them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckdoc View Post
https://Youtu.be/pGFeKfJqMQU

Wrong side driving on the Trichy- Chennai Highway at Asanur..
This is rampant on TN highways now. And there are major crossings in bypasses to major towns like Villupuram, Ulundurpet, Trichy that have been crying for overhead bridges for long. Too many lives lost in those crossings as many come from the wrong direction. Now, they have the solution in the form of barricades every few Kms on the highway. So we pay the tolls and the price for such idiots and NHAI would only build these bridges after decades have passed since the requirement arose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.cs View Post
So we have seen a lot of buses bullying 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. And then there is this video.
I hope the Kerala Traffic police gave him what he deserved. Unless these behaviours are penalised people will not change.

Last edited by Jude300 : 16th May 2022 at 18:25.
Old 17th May 2022, 11:36   #12012
Distinguished - BHPian

Two disturbing incidents :-

(1)Advocate's 12 year old daughter drives a Fortuner in July 2020. Gunaratan Sadavarte's 12 year old daughter Zen was driving a Fortuner MH 02 GJ 100 on Eastern Expressway, Mumbai. The video has gone viral now. The police is yet to register a case.

https://www.cartoq.com/advocates-12-...s-viral-video/

(2) Just a few days ago on NH 44, Nagpur, some drunk history sheeters were driving a car very rashly and were blatantly displaying beer bottles to onlookers while driving. The police chased them but they outsmarted the police by over speeding. However messages were passed along the route by police and barricades were erected near Nagpur Airport. The goons were nabbed by a team led by a lady police official. They are behind the bars now.

https://www.nagpurtoday.in/gang-of-h...ested/05161228
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 15:01   #12013
BHPian

A couple of bad drivers & riders in the video below.

At 0:04 seconds the biker trying to save a few seconds, barely manages to squeeze between a tempo and a merging bus.

The BEST bus driver's absolute disregard for traffic around.

The Tempo driver with his bruised ego tries to win his position back.

The last BEST bus jumping a red light again trying to save a few minutes.

Driving in Mumbai is more like a circus with all the moron's behind the wheel.
OverKill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:03   #12014
BHPian

This happened to me in the morning when i was coming back from the vet, a nice cool drive.
A run in with a KSRTC bufoon, wonder how he was planning to make the turn, however after a few minutes, i backed up, as it was main Thrissur _Palakkad road and the traffic will simply pile up, also with the mission hospital round the corner, it would mean some ambulance also getting stuck in the road.

sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 19:17   #12015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
A run in with a KSRTC bufoon, wonder how he was planning to make the turn,
Whenever I see a bus barging through intersection like this I brake much before I usually would and not go into right of the way fight at all.

For them scratches and dents make zero difference. For me my car's exterior is way more important than my ego. I am glad the bus driver did not push through the turn and cut a nice chunk of your car's bumper - that was very real possibility there.
amol4184 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed