Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 10:17   #12076
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

This is largely because of our high population...

But it is slowly changing for the better.

With better education there is a slow betterment of behaviour too.

But it will take a long time to actually regain the politeness and kindness which were there in the...
I don't know the reasons why we behave the way we do. But education and a high standard of living has not made any difference in the US, they remain a racist society with a host of other problems. Homogeneous societies are finding that they are not all that broadminded either, what happens when immigrants don't pay for their milk that is sold relying on the honor system?

I can tell you that it is not improving in India. And we really were never a polite or kind society - you were expected to bow down to those who had power and it continues to this day.

Also, our rulers have deliberately manipulated the system to ensure that driving and walking on the road are unpleasant experiences.

Same goes for taking public transport - you will find that our rulers will make all kinds of excuses to claim that they cannot run systems that are not overcrowded, this was amply clear post pandemic when they did everything to ensure that the public could not enjoy the empty seats by cutting services.

There are plenty of experts who understand individual psychology, group psychology, mob psychology and behavior of societies, but you can be sure that they are working with the rulers to make life as stressful as possible.

Last edited by mvadg : 1st July 2022 at 10:18.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 11:03   #12077
Senior - BHPian

It’s the instinctive nature to win the RATS race.

Race of the RATS is interesting. Whether you come first or last, you’ll still be a rat. Reverse the word, change behaviour to show courtesy and politeness and you can be the STAR.
Old 1st July 2022, 12:48   #12078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
ike the proverbial ‘Sperm’ we have an instinctive need to swim fastest to reach first. This is

But it is slowly changing for the better.
I loved the Sperm analogy, it made my day

Rats' race mindset is changing but too slowly.
Simple common sense is missing. People break the queue to block incoming traffic. How is that supposed to work?
Old 1st July 2022, 12:58   #12079
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Only replying to two small points;

In my experience of growing up in the 1970’s abd 1980’s and 1990’s in the Hill Stations of Southern India, we were most definitely a much more polite and kind society then.

The same goes for the small experiences I had in the ‘urban’ areas of those days - Calcutta, Madras, Delhi, Cochin, Mysore, Bamgalore and Coimbatore.

I feel sorry that even all of us here who are relatively better educated and better off in terms of life’s comforts, still refer to our ‘Elected Representatives’ as ‘Rulers’.

They most decidedly arent ‘Rulers’ and nor are they fit to rule. The only reason for their success is the poverty ridden masses of people whose votes they are able to coerce and demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

I can tell you that it is not improving in India. And we really were never a polite or kind society - you were expected to bow down to those who had power and it continues to this day.

Also, our rulers have deliberately manipulated the system to ensure that driving and walking on the road are unpleasant experiences.

I ,le.
Old 1st July 2022, 15:27   #12080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
I have driven a bit in the UK and the drivers are quite considerate to each others. Wonder what's wrong with us.
I thank London for having been a good "foundation course" for Indian driving. Yes, there is more discipline and adherence to law, but there is also an aggressive edge. One needs to take one's space and keep it. But, yes, in the situation described, you will be let in sooner rather than later.

Aside... The English idiom is rat race. We talk about the rat race, not rats' race.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:45   #12081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Kerala Police has done a good job in tracing down the motor cyclist and imposing heavy fine for such a selfish act. According to the news report, the fine is of the tune of 11,000 Rs. Really happy to see such prohibitive fines being imposed for such folks.

It is only because of the alert bus driver (And loads of luck) that a disaster similar to the one above (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5347370) was averted.

sarathlal is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:36   #12082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
It is only because of the alert bus driver (And loads of luck) that a disaster similar to the one above was averted.
More than anything else, this video humanises the bus driver. Thanks for sharing.
binand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:39   #12083
BHPian

Quote:
Kerala Police has done a good job in tracing down the motor cyclist and imposing heavy fine for such a selfish act. According to the news report, the fine is of the tune of 11,000 Rs. Really happy to see such prohibitive fines being imposed for such folks.
Absolutely hate it when motorcyclists do this.

And in the video at 1:51, the bus driver says exactly TBHP has been generally recommending every new car owner. Get a dashcam!

Quote:
We could learn the truth because there was a camera. If not, what would have the public said? That it was the bus driver's shenanigans, over-speeding, we were rash and all such things.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 1st July 2022 at 17:40.
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:14   #12084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Absolutely hate it when motorcyclists do this.

And in the video at 1:51, the bus driver says exactly TBHP has been generally recommending every new car owner. Get a dashcam!
And this proves that Bus Drivers are humans too. While we do know many of them are rash in their driving style and also do disregard road discipline many times (personal experience), there is a good side too who are considerate of fellow road users and take extra precaution to stay safe themselves. If anything would have happened, the driver could have faced public 'action' with the old couple getting the sympathy.

Happy to see the rider being fined. He should undergo a retest too for his license.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:34   #12085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Happy to see the rider being fined. He should undergo a retest too for his license.
He didn't had a licence as well.

The 11k fine amount is inclusive of all violations: no helmet, no licence, endangering others etc
sarathlal is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:49   #12086
BHPian

Quote:
He didn't had a licence as well.

The 11k fine amount is inclusive of all violations: no helmet, no licence, endangering others etc
In that case 11K fine seems too low or lineament. There should be a larger fine amount or a prison term or a mandatory community service for 3-6 months along with the fine.

But nonetheless, current fine is a good start.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:04   #12087
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see action being taken against the scooter rider as we have all faced similar issues in the past with people just swinging out onto the road or across lanes willy-nilly. That said I feel like the police should have fined the bus driver while they were at it as well. At 1:17 you can clearly see him violate the right of way of the truck driver in the oncoming lane just to bully through an overtake on the scooter behind the culprit. If there is anything else I hate as much as Activas swinging out onto a road or crossing lanes with no warning, it is Bus drivers trying to hit mileage and time targets that have no respect for other road users
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 22:30   #12088
BHPian

What surprises me is that even after such close shaves these guys continue with the same pattern of blind/reckless overtakes.

Last edited by Venky03 : 5th July 2022 at 22:34.
Venky03 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 10:32   #12089
BHPian

Quote:
Kerala Police has done a good job in tracing down
Similar incident is shared by Cyberabad Traffic Police today.

These videos must be shown in movie theatres, TV Ad breaks to ensure, the message reaches to more people.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 19:16   #12090

There was a minor accident involving a passenger auto and a two-wheeler. This happened today at a busy Vishrantwadi Chowk, Pune. The passenger auto was taking a u-turn when it hit the two-wheeler coming from the wrong lane.

niteshm is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks