Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2022, 22:44   #12136
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I would say it not only the taxi driver to be blamed here but the planning authority (BBMP?) for bad road planning.

If it is designated area of taking turns there is no issue with driver taking a turn. (Agreed here he is blocking the ambulance)

In Bangalore you hardly find any free lanes to take a relaxed U-turn(provided it markered approprately), some junctions are stict No u-turns.
True to some extent, but way to go, blaming the design of a narrow stretch of road where one will hold up traffic regardless of the width of the opening in the median itself, when they can simply drive down the road and find a wider U-Turn spot.

But then, “Everyone else can be dying (literally and metaphorically), what do I care?” - that guy, probably.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:09   #12137
Senior - BHPian

Am I The Bad Driver?:

Busy junction and i have to go left. Signal turns red and I'm at the left lane with indicators on waiting for the pedestrian signal to turn red and the left signal turns green.

People honking behind me and a cop comes over and with frantic waving of arms and saying something, he was asking me to go on. Light turned green for me and I moved on.

Sigh.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:15   #12138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Am I The Bad Driver?:
After 17 years of driving here, I am still confused by the free-left thing, which does not exist in UK. As far as I understand it, it is a free left unless there is a sign saying otherwise. Another clue is that there is a traffic signal which is going to be a left arrow.

On top of all this, there are left turns which are signed "no free left" but are customarily treated as free. In Chennai, on my home turf, LB Road into ECR is one of these. I've been waved on by cops there.

In the instance you describe, if it was not a free left, the cop is giving you permission to go against the red signal, and that's fine. Cop and signals are controlling traffic: cop ranks higher. I have no idea if this is actually legally true! but in practical terms it seems to be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 20:15   #12139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have no idea if this is actually legally true!
It is! Generally speaking, you are bound to follow the directions of a police officer, and nothing is an offence which is done* in obedience of such lawful instructions. *in good faith of course

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 2nd August 2022 at 20:17.
N.A.GTC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 22:33   #12140
BHPian

Here's my compilation of clips from this week. A couple of close calls, a few "what are you trying to do" moments, more than a few dangerous crossings... Chennai roads never get less "interesting".

asmr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 00:50   #12141
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
He is a stupid man. If his watch is telling the truth, a heart rate of 178 and a sustained heart rate of 155/160 will ensure an early grave, yet the fool is bothered about his fortuner instead of calling for an ambulance. I understand that his car costs 50 lakh, but what is his life's worth?

Coming back to the accident, a soft bodied animal can never cause the extent of frontal damage that's seen. The cow should have been thrown over the windscreen and roof, yet the roof is undamaged.
Here is another of those youtubers. This video was posted last year in August and I even sent an detailed email requesting him not to indulge in this kind of a driving - but no response. In this video he is seen travelling with this family with a kid in front It is evident that he driving with one hand and even trying to focus on his sister in the back seat!

I really hope he doesn't end up in this thread one day. God save him!

gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 08:37   #12142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Indian road users hate a cyclist . It is highly risky to ride a cycle in normal Indian roads. That's the reason why I don't recommend road cycling as a hobby or form of exercise in India to my friends.
It's the cyclists (the recreational ones in spandax) who are to be hated. For their exercise they block busy roads, pedalling up flyovers, blocking fast moving traffic. If one is so hellbent on an exercise, kindly do it on private roads. The arrogance of some of these folks is unbelievable. They actually glare at people who honk to warn them when overtaking.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 6th August 2022 at 08:39.
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 23:21   #12143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
It is! Generally speaking, you are bound to follow the directions of a police officer, and nothing is an offence which is done* in obedience of such lawful instructions. *in good faith of course
Not in India. Here you are supposed to use your brain before you follow such advice. If you are in Bangalore, the cop will wave you on before stopping traffic from the right. Assumption is that the traffic on the right will stop by itself or crash into you
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 01:02   #12144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Not in India. Here you are supposed to use your brain before you follow such advice. If you are in Bangalore, the cop will wave you on before stopping traffic from the right. Assumption is that the traffic on the right will stop by itself or crash into you
Well I just said it's legally true. I didn't say what's legally true is safe to follow
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 20:03   #12145
Distinguished - BHPian

There I was, enjoying a relaxed Sunday afternoon drive in perfect weather, and I had to meet not one, but two confused drivers who have never heard of sensible driving.
SS-Traveller is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:01   #12146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Am I The Bad Driver?:

Busy junction and i have to go left. Signal turns red and I'm at the left lane with indicators on waiting for the pedestrian signal to turn red and the left signal turns green.

People honking behind me and a cop comes over and with frantic waving of arms and saying something, he was asking me to go on. Light turned green for me and I moved on.

Sigh.
I will generally obey the traffic cop but I will also keep an eye out for traffic and not blindly go into chaos.

I have been in situations multiple times where the cop (probably at the end of his shift) just waved opposing traffic to drive on and then went to the side of the road, put on a civilian shirt and rode away on his motorcycle.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 09:01   #12147
Senior - BHPian

One way to spot a bad driver is to check whether they're driving their own car or not.

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...rmer-1.7780742
Old 16th August 2022, 07:37   #12148
BHPian

This happened on NICE Road yesterday.

There's a goods carrier in front of a truck on left lane and truck driver decided to move to right lane at the last moment.

Right Lane is busy and there's a WagonR and i10 just behind the truck, who had to brake suddenly and allow this maneuver from truck.

I zoomed the video to make the scene appear clearly.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 02:32   #12149

Irrespective of two or for wheeler drivers, the bad ones:

1. Never admit to their mistakes and tend to blame you. Had a Honda City touch my bike in the rear (Driver was impatient) and when I confronted her, she arrogantly said 'Nothing happened right?' and that I moved behind. I believe I have proper judgement of my vehicle and know when it rolls down.

2. Will always overtake from the left even if there is space on the right. Got involved in a two wheeler accident because of this because this 'intelligent' person did so, after which I flew and landed on the road, almost run over by a bus. This was on the pathetic Devarabeesanahalli Flyover in Bellandur, Bangalore.

3. Do not use their rear-view mirrors and indicators. Some people find it cool to drive without them for the adrenaline I think.

4. Are overconfident and/or sexist. Tend to trust their instinct a little too much, for instance jumping lanes or signals. These are the same people who would make fun of an extra careful lady driving slowly.

5. Are VERY impatient. Encountered some abusive drivers who will swear at you if you try to hinder them. Got sworn at by a bullet guy because I was staring at him continuously while he was honking at a red signal. A lot of car drivers will bully you to jump a red signal so that they can pass (Very common in Pune.)

6. Are selfish. Forget about caring for fellow drivers, we all go off track at times. But these people will inconvenience other people by blocking emergency vehicles like speeding ambulances, or enter bus priority lanes. Some of these people justify doing so as a matter of pride and/or paying heavy road tax.

Amongst many more.

I myself am not a seasoned driver and have made mistakes. I strongly believe that acknowledging so helps you stay grounded and drive with respect. Humility in a driver is a lifesaving quality.

Any pointers/criticism to add, please feel free to continue this post.
WagonRWaala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:12   #12150
BHPian

This set of 3 short clips from my dashcam shows how MTC buses are doing risky driving on congested roads.

And the last clip actually is a near miss involving my car and a rogue bus. But I gave in to my impulsiveness and nearly contributed to a road rage incident, since this bus driver put my family at risk of severe injuries at the very least. I should have pulled to the right (better to be in the path of a sensible auto or a car than a raging bus?) So, guess I am the bad driver in the last clip.

And this clip below shows a young boy with a death wish, driving like that, oblivious to the danger to himself and others. Not to mention the total mess of free for all in the narrow roads and the sightseer in the last clip!

Last edited by asmr : 19th August 2022 at 17:30. Reason: added one more link
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks