Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 02:26   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
While in bumper to bumper traffic, would one need to maintain 3-cars length gap? Isn't that a bit on the higher side?
Well, I wouldn't like to be dogmatic about it... yes, maybe it is on the high side, and it is also impossible, because a gap that size will be filled by someone else instantly

I do like as much space as possible in front, though. All it takes is one pretty girl on the pavement, a moment's inattention, and bang --- and that is exactly how one of my friends ended his run of a couple of decades of accident-free driving.

It all depends on the speed. I hate to see cars driving "bumper to bumper" at 30, 40, 50, 60... A bunched up group of cars like that (everybody wants to get ahead) is a pile-up waiting to happen. If someone comes close behind me, I double the distance in front of me: I'm now needing stopping distance for two!
Old 10th July 2010, 12:31   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, I wouldn't like to be dogmatic about it... yes, maybe it is on the high side, and it is also impossible, because a gap that size will be filled by someone else instantly
+1. Its next to impossible maintaining a 3-car length gap in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
It all depends on the speed. I hate to see cars driving "bumper to bumper" at 30, 40, 50, 60... A bunched up group of cars like that (everybody wants to get ahead) is a pile-up waiting to happen.
Bumper to bumper at 60kmph!!
That is close to the max speed limit in most of the cities of this country. A second's delay is more than enough to cause a pile-up involving quite a few cars.

Quote:
If someone comes close behind me, I double the distance in front of me: I'm now needing stopping distance for two!

Well said.

Regards.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:45   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post

we are so fed up that at the most we use RHS ORVM only.
Many here may criticize me. But am sorry mates I cant help it.
Well I wouldn't criticize, bcoz I happen to in this situation every evening.

People who drive thro' KRPuram junction, Bangalore in the evening would definitely understand this. Gap between vehicles (on all sides) is only few inches. And there is no traffic signal here, for almost 15 minutes we have to keep moving inch-by-inch with feet on clutch, break and accelerator.

So when I approach this junction, I have to roll-down left window, stretch to the other side and close the left ORVM.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 10th July 2010 at 12:47.
Old 10th July 2010, 17:02   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Gap between vehicles (on all sides) is only few inches.
I have to roll-down left window, stretch to the other side and close the left ORVM.
How do you figure out the distance between your car and the one on the left? Wouldn't this result in a scratch on the body?
Old 10th July 2010, 17:09   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you figure out the distance between your car and the one on the left? Wouldn't this result in a scratch on the body?

What exactly do you mean?
You do not expect anyone to measure the distance using a ruler or something, do you?

And an experienced driver can safely guess/estimate the distance between his/her car and other vehicles without really much of an effort.

What does it have to do with getting the car scratched when it comes to figuring out the distance?

Kindly care to explain.

@ch.nathan

I experience similar conditions here. Crawling in the traffic with oncoming two wheeled traffic approaching from my left!!
Two wheelers bumping into cars that are at standstill and damaging the cars and themselves is not an uncommon sight here.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 10th July 2010 at 17:11.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:16   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
And an experienced driver can safely guess/estimate the distance between his/her car and other vehicles without really much of an effort.

What does it have to do with getting the car scratched when it comes to figuring out the distance?
Honestly, I cannot estimate the distance if my left ORVM is folded. I need to see to estimate. Hope you get the drift. Left ORVM gives an angular view which I don't get if I turn my head and look.

If I cannot see, and hence cannot estimate, then chances are that I may make a mistake and end up touching the left side of my car with the vehicle on my left.

This worries me more as this might mean body dent, especially the doors.
Old 11th July 2010, 06:30   #1222
Senior - BHPian

few people here are posting pics which in probability have been taken using a mobile phone(unlikely that you carry a Standalone camera in your vehicle at all times) in which many pics are taken when the vehicle is not stationary.
I Think this also is a sign of a bad driver as using mobile phones while driving is an offense and trying to take pics while driving is also very dangerous.

P.S I should be getting reply's like "my friend/wife/GF was driving/holding the camera(which in most probability is not true)
Old 11th July 2010, 09:06   #1223
BHPian

All the scratches in my new i10 have happened not while the car was in motion. I was standing for a signal and a bolero came and hit me from behind. Luckily no bends but just a scratch a paint peeling off.

Next when I was standing for a signal, a three wheeler goods carrier while passing from left, sent into a pothole, scratched my front (above the tyre)

Kid's cycle parked near my vehicle fell and scratched my car's side!!!

whom to blame for what??? Include all expenses for repairing in cost of ownership esp at Mumbai.
Old 12th July 2010, 01:30   #1224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That might be me! The more the distance the better the driver!

And, if he maintained the distance, how could he have been holding anyone up?

On the other hand, a very good indication of a bad driver is that their head is turned towards their passenger, in conversation, instead of facing the road.
I've done the same.
Quote:
While in bumper to bumper traffic, would one need to maintain 3-cars length gap? Isn't that a bit on the higher side?
Thad,

I'd like to add that he wasn't maintaining the '3-cars-length' distance to be a safe driver. He was so engrossed in the conversation with his passenger that he didn't move forward when it was required. He did close the gap a few times, but his car seemed to be parked most of the time!

While maintaining distance is good, one should know how much while in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

His other mistakes are a clear indication that his mind wasn't on the road.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:33   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Dunno whether to label them as "bad" drivers ,but I am usually very cautious when approaching brand new cars or cars with the "L" sticker on them.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:50   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
He was so engrossed in the conversation with his passenger that he didn't move forward when it was required. He did close the gap a few times, but his car seemed to be parked most of the time!
this is exactly the reason why i tell my passengers not to engage me in a conversation where i'd have to 'think' because this will result in my attention getting diverted from the road and that can be very dangerous. sometimes when they don't get my drift, i've to tell them to shut up or pull the car off the road.

have seen this way too many times. drivers who get into a argument in the car usually end up showing it in their driving and by the time they come to their senses, they might have caused an unfortunate accident.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:18   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. An open RVM at times helps reduce possibility of scratches / dents.

Rather than having that swanky motor controlled factory fitted Left mirror always as 'folded/closed' , better look for an option to take it out and fit an el-cheapo replacement there.
A Simple no frills standalone mirror without any internal heaters/motors and all that jazz would do.

The car may not look that good with them - but it would still serve the purpose of the LRVM, and not cause too much of a financial worry of knicks and dings.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:26   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you try that in Bangalore, you will get two tata sumos, three cars, 4 auto rickshaws and ten bikes in that space in an instant! And your ears will be "hollow" with the honk from behind . The best option is to leave about 30cm gap, this will prevent most of the above, even though some bikes may still find that enough to tweak in...

Last edited by vasoo : 12th July 2010 at 12:34.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:40   #1229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you try that in Bangalore, you will get two tata sumos, three cars, 4 auto rickshaws and ten bikes in that space in an instant!
What always amazes me even more is when I think I am on the far left of the road and... ok, bikes can squeeze through, but then comes an auto or two followed by several cars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Dunno whether to label them as "bad" drivers ,but I am usually very cautious when approaching brand new cars or cars with the "L" sticker on them.
Only right to do so, for their sake as well as yours. They may not be bad drivers, in fact, if they have had a half-decent teacher, they may even be technically better than some of us oldies! However, they lack experience, and their responses may be inappropriate or even dangerous. An instructor in UK told me once that most accidents involving learners are caused by them jamming on the brakes and being hit from behind. Give L-drivers plenty of space: they may stop suddenly, or even roll back on hills.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:57   #1230
Senior - BHPian

Bad drivers can be easily spotted on pot holed roads. Thos who think they can still go @ 40 kmph on these roads are clearly bad drivers withough giving a thought of any consequences happening be it brushing other cars, instant breaking etc.

One such moronic driver and that too of a school bus thought he could manevour a pot hole with great comfor ended up banging my Right side ORVM casing a crack in the plastic body. Even after doing so the bus attendant egged the driver to move on quickly.

Now what do you say to such drivers and how are they authorized to ferry school going children.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks