Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 10:10   #12346
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Here's a clip I captured on my dashcam when driving back from office yesterday. I have no idea what the guy was thinking! He is very lucky that I was able to stop quickly.

asmr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 17:32   #12347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I have no idea what the guy was thinking!
The Just Stop; Wherever, Whatever manoeuvre.

Dangerous to the bikers, maddening to everyone else.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 20:34   #12348

As i was crawling up hill in Kerala. This moron was a force to reckon with on my lane.

Output: Damage to fiber bumper. I got lucky to have enough space on the wrong lane as no vehicles were in sight. Otherwise he would have leaped into my windshield after impact. The guy ran away before i could park safely and check the car for damages.

Please see last 10 seconds and preferably in slow motion. I took an onscreen video from the xuv700 infotainment. Not sure how to extract original video from memory card.

manoj.elan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:23   #12349
BHPian

People and vehicles that I always try to maintain a safe distance from or make way for if they are behind me:

1. Autos, especially those with stickers, posters, and vinyl on their rear windows

2. Two-wheelers with a rider who is a delivery partner or has a commercial number plate, meaning it's a rental.

3. Two-wheelers with a rider without a proper helmet or one with a so-called plastic half helmet. Sometimes they are even overloaded with people, none of whom are wearing helmets.

4. Cars that have both ORVMs folded

5. Cars that have a person or two sticking out of the sunroof while they are moving

6. E-scooters and e-bikes. Somehow, people take instantaneous torque for granted and make risky manoeuvres.

7. Any vehicle that has a lot of dents and scratches on the body

8. Any overly customised vehicle with loud exhausts (wannabe racers).

9. Any vehicle with slogans like "My Dad's Road", "My Dad Road" (yeah, I have seen this sticker a few times), etc.

10. Vehicles with non-functional lights, especially at night

11. The continuous honkers. They were able to make the Creta a meme material with their consistent honking.

12. The tailgators: It is better to let them pass than have them kiss the back of my car.
sarkankur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:33   #12350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkankur View Post
People and vehicles that I always try to maintain a safe distance from or make way for if they are behind me:
You location says you are in Bangalore. What do you do, just stand still on the roadside? With these rules you wouldn't be able to move an inch here...
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:49   #12351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You location says you are in Bangalore. What do you do, just stand still on the roadside? With these rules you wouldn't be able to move an inch here...
In Bangalore, thanks to the peak traffic, I rarely get a chance to go beyond third gear, so there is'nt much to be afraid of in that traffic as everyone else is also stuck with me.

All I could get is a minor scratch or a kiss to the car, which anyway has happened.

You are correct though. Maybe I should have highlighted that I am speaking of the roads in general, especially the highways, where the damages are more from crashes due to the general speed of the traffic.
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:03   #12352
BHPian

One immature individual acts as would be expected, but the other mature person supports him rather than criticizing it.

Video Link

He could have mentioned in a note that we don't appreciate such actions, but instead he used it as an opportunity to gain publicity.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20230602-16_54_441-bhavish-aggarwal-bhash-_-twitter.jpg

Mod: I'm not certain that this is the appropriate thread; if not, kindly move it.
GhostGrid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 17:27   #12353
BHPian

I had intended to post this yesterday, but since my car met with an accident, I couldn't post this.

There was a congestion, and me and very few vehicles (like the Amaze behind me) were staying in lane and patiently waiting for the vehicles ahead to move. I left ample gap between me and the truck/vehicles ahead.

But a bunch of "offroaders" literally started cutting us from the left, went half off road for squeezing in front of me. I came to a near halt so that these idiots don't scrape my car (or worse) and let them go ahead. See the ignis:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-vlcsnap2023060217h12m16s434.png

Got nearly scraped by this idiot:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-vlcsnap2023060217h13m42s341.png

And when the traffic eased ahead after a bunch of "offroaders" crossed me, this was the reason for the congestion - a completely banged up Kwid was lying there and the cops were struggling to control the traffic with idiots like these.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-vlcsnap2023060217h15m27s314.png

Often I'm really anxious to even take the car out with all these idiots on roads, the only reason to right now is the love I have for driving! A few years back I wouldn't have even thought I'd drive in these roads, let alone becoming anything close to an enthusiast.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 14:48. Reason: Minor spacing
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 10:32   #12354

Was scrolling through my old photos and came across this . Photo was taken in 2019 and the place was near Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_202306081018172.png  

Old 13th June 2023, 11:37   #12355

Just wanted to know if probability theory takes care of these bad drivers. I drive as sedately as possible although I make my own set of minor mistakes. I and some of my other friends who are sedate drivers always have this fear in back of our minds when on roads that some random idiot can kill us. These lunatics try to bully us saying that we are inexperienced who doesnt have confidence in our own driving. But I have been driving from the last 9-10 yrs and have munched good number of kms. Also growing up, I have seen so called 30-40 yr experienced drivers who are relatives or family friends getting killed in road accidents.

I see so many drivers on road driving erratically and putting everyone's lives at risk and other sedate drivers have to give them a way or brake depending on the situation to give save these lunatics from getting killed. What if these lunatics meet another lunatic instead of a sedate driver? There is a high possibility that there are equal number of lunatics as of sedate drivers if not more. They try to defy laws of physics and probability in every single maneuver. But won't they eventually catch up? Sorry for the rant. I couldn't get this thought away from my mind

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 14:49. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
TGDI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 12:04   #12356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
If you drive in the Palakkad-Thrissur stretch you will see none of the heavy vehicles hogging the right lane. Even the STU buses use the right lane only for overtaking. All because of the surveillance cameras in the stretch. In a way this stretch has certainly showed it is possible to change the way people drive with strong deterrents backed by technology.
Cross-quoting my post from a few weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I drove from Palakkad to Kottarakkara on the day of Eid...
The (uncalled for) scaremongering by the Malayalam media over the AI-enabled cameras probably had some effect on the way people used public roads. Most of the two-wheeler riders had their helmets on, bigger vehicles sticking to their lanes, extremely low percentage of vehicle involved in rash driving, and overall a feeling of better safety.
If the news reports are to be believed, there is also a trend in the reduction of fatalities over the last few days.
AI cams have led to drop in accident deaths in Kerala
Quote:
Just four days into the activation of the new AI camera network in the state, the motor vehicles department (MVD) has reported a significant drop in traffic accident deaths. Daily fatalities that used to average 12 have come down to seven
Strict enforcement of the rules and proactively collecting fines from the violators will go a long way in improving our road safety culture.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 11:48   #12357
AYP
Senior - BHPian

People on our roads do not know how to take a turn or merge onto a lane. More often than not, while taking turns, people try to take the shortest path possible and thus obstructing the oncoming traffic. In reality, taking a turn involves tracing your car or bike on an almost 90 degree path so as to create the least amount of obstruction for the other cars. While some people know about this but still don't follow this, most are completely unaware of this.

This happened yesterday while I was leaving my office for lunch. The guy in the Kushaq(MH43BY4717) stopped his car and came out to confront me. Kindly ignore the timestamp. This happened yesterday at around 1:30 P.M.

AYP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:33   #12358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
People on our roads do not know how to take a turn or merge onto a lane. More often than not, while taking turns, people try to take the shortest path possible and thus obstructing the oncoming traffic.
I had just posted the same topic here (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos).

This problem of not taking turn in the correct manner leads to driving on the wrong side if one is not able to merge to the correct lane.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:10   #12359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
People on our roads do not know how to take a turn or merge onto a lane. More often than not, while taking turns, people try to take the shortest path possible and thus obstructing the oncoming traffic. In reality, taking a turn involves tracing your car or bike on an almost 90 degree path so as to create the least amount of obstruction for the other cars. While some people know about this but still don't follow this, most are completely unaware of this.

This happened yesterday while I was leaving my office for lunch. The guy in the Kushaq(MH43BY4717) stopped his car and came out to confront me. Kindly ignore the timestamp. This happened yesterday at around 1:30 P.M.
He came out with a smile on his face. There was no contact so why was he wasting his time and your time and obstructing traffic? .

Either you should have let him go and he should have waited for you to pass. Neither happened and resulted in a near collision. Honk, flash light, eye contact, anything can work in India. Come to an understanding with people on our roads . Misunderstanding is what leads to a lot of unnecessary accidents.
Old 18th June 2023, 16:08   #12360
BHPian

Had to rely on my brakes and tyres as the guy could not hear the horn.
Duckdoc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed