Old 8th August 2010, 16:29   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

When I stop at the stop line, people drive around me and stop in front
Old 8th August 2010, 16:38   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

What I said happens only when I am on my two wheeler. The fellow two wheelers seem to take cue. But when I am on my four wheeler, as you said, people drive around me and stop in front.
Old 8th August 2010, 20:29   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Remember this always - Be the change we wish to see - Mahatma Gandhi
been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
At red signals, I always stop before the stop line. Something that I have noticed is that if I am the first one to stop, then most others after me too stop before the line. Then someone will appear who will not bother about the stop line and go much further. Others follow him.

To me this appears like there are three categories of drivers.
1) The ones who follow the rules.
2) The ones who ignore the rules.
3) The fence sitters.

Fence sitters can be herded either way. All it takes is one example of positive or negative behaviour.
it's the herd mentality. someone stops, others stop. one jumps the signal, others follow. what surprises me is that people are just waiting (some don't) for a trigger to violate rules. it's a typical Indian mentality - if you tell someone that they've done something wrong, they would point to ten other people who have done the same mistake - a way to justify making the mistake

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2010 at 15:30. Reason: STRICTLY no inappropriate language on this forum please
Old 16th September 2010, 13:58   #1339
Senior - BHPian

this morning on the BETL, after the lay-bye, saw a white Toyota Land Cruiser slowly moving (around 20km/h) in the fast lane with the emergency lights on! as i was passing the vehicle i saw that the guy was talking on the phone! he had slowed down in the fast lane to take/make a call!

KA-51-MA-2006
Old 16th September 2010, 16:18   #1340
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2010 at 15:31.
bkbkr1212 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th September 2010, 16:37   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if it more arrogance or more ignorance. If a truck slams into that guy's backside, it is not going to make much difference how much money he has, or even how big his car is, it'll just mean a classier funeral.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:23   #1342
BHPian

Saw a lady riding a scooter today morning. Details as follows :

1. Wearing an embellished heavy saree, with lots of bangles (must be headed to a function??)
2. Was not wearing a helmet on account of the fancy pins in her hair
3. Was wearing platform heeled sandals
4. Was carrying two bags on the footboard of her ride, these were stuffed to the top.
5. Had her purse hanging on her shoulder
6. Tyres of her scooter were not properly inflated.

I am not poking fun at the gentlewoman, with due respects; certainly not on an auto forum. However, I felt this was a case of disaster waiting to happen.

My 2 cents :

1. Please wear practical attire while riding a two wheeler. A flying saree pallu can obstruct your view.
2. Please wear a good helmet which is secured well under your chin; your life is more important than a good hairdo.
3. Please wear practical footwear, preferably a flat shoe. Your feet will support you in case you need to balance yourself. A heeled sandal can make you wobble on uneven ground. It can even break.
4. Keep your footboard clear of clutter. Clumsily placed bags can divert your attention while on road.
5. Kindly secure your purse in a basket or a slot. A dangling purse can disturb your balance.
6. Keep your tyres well inflated. An uneven road can make you lose your balance.

Safe driving to all !!

P.S. : Chandigarh and Pune girls are most practical in their attire while riding two wheelers.
Disclaimer : Purely my observation, no statistics to back it.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:19   #1343
BHPian

With the current rains and vehicles sporting layer of mud - I am at a loss to understand why people can't spend 5 mins and clean that off the tail-lights and number plates. In the event of any accident, you won't be able to note the number plate of the vehicle . I've noticed this mostly on the Yellow plate vehicles and two wheelers. Buses/Trucks have the lights/plate significantly high up to avoid the mud splash.

Bad drivers - not necessarily. But vehicle lovers - definite NO!
Old 28th September 2010, 19:22   #1344
Senior - BHPian

maniac on the loose!

saw this white M800 on the IRR near Dell office this morning on the way to work. the driver was driving very aggressively and trying hard to pass other vehicles even thought there wasn't space to overtake. the person tried to squeeze between my car and another Swift - both of us observing lane discipline! in the attempts to overtake, the driver almost knocked down a few two wheelers!

now, the best part! it was a woman driving this car!! and while she was doing these stunts on the road, she seemed very calm!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1004.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag1005.jpg

if you see this car in your RVM, i suggest you give way unless you want dents and scratches on your vehicle or dragged into a unpleasant spat on the road!
Old 29th September 2010, 15:23   #1345
Senior - BHPian

the in-betweens - likes driving between the lanes rather than inside them and loves driving other commuters crazy! after turning left on Koramangala signal (Sony World), this woman kept blocking me for 500m and i (and others behind me) was forced to overtake from the left and this woman was giggling to her co-passenger when i passed!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6103.jpg

better safe than sorry - leaving two car lengths of space in front and won't let others overtake (but will keep driving slow). again, this was a woman driver!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_6108.jpg
Old 29th September 2010, 17:10   #1346
BHPian

I have been spotting this silver WagonR (MH 12 CK registration) driven by a middle aged person on the highway stretch between Pashan and Wakad in Pune. What is done is interesting.
I could see him giving indicators to change lanes - good. Post the lane change, he would switch on the hazard lights. My guess is to indicate his intention to continue in that lane. This till the time to switch lanes, in which case, off go the blinkers and the correct indicator flashes. Why? Why would anyone do that?
Old 29th September 2010, 17:43   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hey just an extension to your case. When I stop people stare at me as if I am insane and then zoom off. In your case they at least stop
Old 29th September 2010, 20:00   #1348
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IronH4WK;2087105]saw this white M800 on the IRR near Dell office this morning on the way to work. the driver was driving very aggressively and trying hard to pass other vehicles even thought there wasn't space to overtake. the person tried to squeeze between my car and another Swift - both of us observing lane discipline! in the attempts to overtake, the driver almost knocked down a few two wheelers!

now, the best part! it was a woman driving this car!! and while she was doing these stunts on the road, she seemed very calm!

In both the photos the M800 appears to be a worthy disciple of lane discipline. Take a look, the car is rightly positioned within her lane and for overtaking it is ib the right lane too; the stunts notwithstanding.

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th September 2010 at 20:02.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:34   #1349
BHPian

We've a saying in our family. Whenever we're travelling together in the car, and we spot anyone driving rash, especially two wheelers, my father always says...

Quote:
Well there goes another organ donor...
morbid I know, but always makes me laugh
Old 29th September 2010, 22:40   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
In both the photos the M800 appears to be a worthy disciple of lane discipline. Take a look, the car is rightly positioned within her lane and for overtaking it is ib the right lane too; the stunts notwithstanding.
the first picture was taken whilst she was causing the mayhem on the road - good for her she was in her lane (i was fumbling with my HD2, which incidently was connected to the charger). she is in the rightmost lane because the picture is taken right after a speed breaker (where there is also a U-turn) and she squeezed in between 2-3 cars to speed ahead - not exactly to maintain lane discipline. the second one i took just to get a picture of the her car so that people can identify it in case they're unfortunate enough to encountering it somewhere.

btw, are you saying she deserves credit for staying in her lane after almost causing a several accidents in her wake. is that the point you're making?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 29th September 2010 at 22:43.

Most Viewed