Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 11:45   #511
BHPian

Almost all drivers/riders are bad drivers. I ride a two wheeler.
Cars: They move like turtles 20 kmph or less; move right in the middle of the road or close to the divider line. And please why the jiggle with the mobile phone while driving?
2 Wheelers: Uncles riding their Hero Hondas/ scooters, pls if you want to move as fast as a turtle move to the left hand side of the road. And years of riding hasnt taught them to use indicators or hand signal well before turning.
3 wheelers: No sense at all; just nonsense driving. I wish the police haul away all autos doing U turns at their whims and fancy. I dont know what oil they use; some of them smoke so bad it causes headache in a few seconds.
Taxis: Many are youngsters who think driving is pedal to the metal. The dangerous lot.

Ocassionally I find a driver who drives like an angel; shows patience to people crossing road esp old or kids; gives room to overtake; uses his indicators well before turning; drives at best speed (which i think is 30kmph to 50kmph).
Old 5th February 2009, 11:58   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Hate drivers who can't stick to their lane especially on a curvy road , say there is a road which curves toward the right you'll see so many of them (especially Santros and Wagon Rs...in fact all the tallboys) driving at +80 speeds and moving to the lane left to them and this can be so dangerous especially on empty roads when everyone is just zooming around.
Something similar like this happens on the inner ring road in bangalore. It has a couple of long S's and no one sticks to their lanes. I drive a santro and I do stick to my lane at 80+, but unfortunately most cars driving at even lower speeds (even sedans) don't stick to their lanes. Its a pain and can be dangerous at times for those who stick to their lane when suddenly just changes 3 lanes as they go on the long S.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:17   #513
BHPian

Hosur road is a very difficult to drive in Bangalore, especially with the flyover construction going on, we see numerous maniacs driving on the wrong side with high beam. To hell with these indicas and sumos.

I don't understand what the reason behind switching to high beam at the last moment when a vehicle is coming from the wrong side, my windshield was not clean & I got totally blinded by the beam and had to stop my vehicle all of a sudden last week.

I felt like picking up a gun and shooting them point blank. Sorry if I was too harsh here.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:16   #514
Senior - BHPian

So yeah, today I witnessed a lady on an Activa causing a veritable pileup.

I noticed her because of her erratic driving nearly a kilometer before the incident. She had both of her wing mirrors turned inside (to look at herself prolly) and was driving as if she was the only one on the road. All the usual antics - cutting across lanes without looking for traffic, squeezing into nonexistant spaces causing people to panic brake to avoid squishing her, etc etc.

So after this red light (where she made me panic brake to avoid sending her under a lorry), there is a fast and straight stretch of road. Everyone goes 50-60 in this piece of tarmac. She moves the rightmost of the two lane one way and after about 100m, turns left across without any indicators or hand signal. I anticipated this, so I didn't have to swerve much to avoid her. But she crossed straight into the right lane full of two wheeler traffic.

A bullet (Machismo?) hit the brakes and couldn't stop in time. The dude turned into the footpath, hit the curb, and splashed on the road, barely avoiding her. The bike had discs, but the poor Splendor behind him didn't. He hit the brakes, swerved all over and ended up hitting the downed bullet. The driver and bike went airborne and landed a few feet ahead.

The woman goes into the little lane, stops, looks at the downed riders, gives them a look that said "What are you guys doin' making all this noise?!?" and coolly drives off. I pulled over a small distance ahead and hit the hazard lights. The two people were okay. Just some patchwork on their skin. Their rides were a different story tho.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:44   #515

Bad Drivers.....

I would like to add another impediment to smooth driving in our country..
The Pedestrian..
How many times when you have been cruising at 40-60 on a "Byepass" or "Main Street", a pedestrian steps down from the divider or jumps over the Barricade and sticks his hand out to "Command" you to stop. And they are not even in Uniform...
There HAS to be a law on Jaywalking. The motorist is fined when he takes a left turn on a pedestrian signal but there is no fine when the pedestrian crosses on the Vehiciles Green signal.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:26   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundabs View Post
I would like to add another impediment to smooth driving in our country..
The Pedestrian..
How many times when you have been cruising at 40-60 on a "Byepass" or "Main Street", a pedestrian steps down from the divider or jumps over the Barricade and sticks his hand out to "Command" you to stop. And they are not even in Uniform...
There HAS to be a law on Jaywalking. The motorist is fined when he takes a left turn on a pedestrian signal but there is no fine when the pedestrian crosses on the Vehiciles Green signal.
Dude i hail from calcutta and have spend considerable amount of time negotiating traffic and hostile crowds on the street - and catching soem time to drive in between. Next stop was Delhi (with US thrown inbetween) and I thought I was in drivers heaven - and the only fear factor were cows and drunken drivers on the road after 9 pm. Next stop Pune -and now I feel that Calcutta was rocking wrt to traffic.

The autos will give you the experience of F1 while commuting and you would thank the g-forces with your gf and you beign tossed around like russian salad. It is biker haven - and its always your fault if a mobike hits you or vice versa. They would snake their way through traffic at a signal and go whoosh!!! at a traffic signal. And with scant regard of traffic on the roads.

The best are Pune state buses - would stop anywhere and stop traffic, nudge you at a traffic intersection and people start shouting in Marathi which i do not understand. And i though hindi worked almost everywhere.

So in Pune - the biggest nightmare is driving. Better fly.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:28   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
good man
keep it up
my nexia has a brake light problem and one rarely works so that doesnt mean im a reckless driver ..
and you forgot about the one where the guy keeps on honking at you when you are at a red light ..
oh and learners driving in peak traffic in crap cars
just caught one at a roundabout... got him ticketed as i the signal was to stop and the guy started honking carelessly but as i was there with my engine turned off i cared for nothing just in some 10 seconds a Traffic Constable came asking him if he has a house on fire http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/LOL.gif only after that i moved my car.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:35   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
lane discipline !!!!!! if anybody has the b***s to impliment this one single thing, our roads would become, faster, safer and better for life in general !!!
well http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../I%20agree.gif i always change lane after indicating and checking for any reckless "cool guy" but have seen people who don't change lane in time for a slip road or a turn and put others to trouble. Almost missed a cabby bearing HR registration number and he was like new to the roads stopped in middle of the road and then when i passed he just flew leftwards without any indication but thanks that was a diesel sumo and i was fast enough to accelerate.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:51   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I never trail city bus. The move from right most lane to the left most at a bus stop even without watching the rear. Once they leave the bust stop again it's the reverse from left lane to right lane. They are very bullish in changing the lanes. I never saw a bus with working tail lights.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images.../I%20agree.gif
Here at chandigarh according to a survey more than 50% Drivers of Chandigarh Transport Undertaking lack good proper eyesight and still drive the public transport buses like demons. One such rammed into while reversing on a one way road and i was the only one who borne damages as the one behind me was tailgating me so i couldn't reverse and the CTU bus didn't have a single working backlight, it was just when he cleared distance of about two scooters and hit my car's bonnet but after that i found it better to finish off with a compromise as they were all up in a union. After that day I just drive keeping a good distance with these buses as they really have NOTHING TO LOSE and nothing to fear. So The addition is the SARKARI BUS DRIVERS because they have unions.
So Never Tailgate a SARKARI bus.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:03   #520
BHPian

One more way is when you find a Driver blocking way of an Ambulance or a Fire engine just at their back Blowing horns siren and flashing lights but still if they are standing at a signal turned Red they won't move for they fear to be tickted while they don't know that in itself obstructing way of an ambulance or fire engine is an offence.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:59   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveal_da_zeal View Post
One more way is when you find a Driver blocking way of an Ambulance or a Fire engine just at their back Blowing horns siren and flashing lights but still if they are standing at a signal turned Red they won't move for they fear to be tickted while they don't know that in itself obstructing way of an ambulance or fire engine is an offence.
LOL, you may be right, but your very own Chandigarh Police Dept. will crucify the poor fellow who moved while the light was red!! The ambulance is of no consequence to them. It is NOT a source of revenue! You are!
Old 7th March 2009, 13:31   #522
Senior - BHPian

the worst for me are the autorickshaw drivers in ahmedabad and few city in saurashtra, who would show their feet while taking turns as indicators, worst drivers too would run their auto's like riding a bmw.
Old 9th March 2009, 23:49   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
LOL, you may be right, but your very own Chandigarh Police Dept. will crucify the poor fellow who moved while the light was red!! The ambulance is of no consequence to them. It is NOT a source of revenue! You are!
Very true Mr. Mathur. They convey the message that Law is always above human life (forget human rights Duty comes first, sadly).
Old 10th March 2009, 12:40   #524
Senior - BHPian

I can very well identify bad drivers with the below criteria:
- Usage of Indicators
- Respect to red signals
- Respect to pedestrians
- Speeding and Overtaking
- Wrong lane driving
Old 10th March 2009, 13:43   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I can very well identify bad drivers with the below criteria:
- Usage of Indicators
- Respect to red signals
- Respect to pedestrians
- Speeding and Overtaking
- Wrong lane driving
With this kind of criteria you won't find a single good driver in Hyderabad!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks