Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 09:24   #586
Senior - BHPian

Well, in a way, it does. Because my attention gets diverted from the road, where it should be. Eg. if the girl is walking on the pavement or standing at a bus-stop, attention moves (for however small the duration) from the road in front to the side, which is not good. It is enough to crash into the rear of the car in front, especially in bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

I remember the time when I was in college and used to drop my Dad at his office on Cathedral road on our scooter since he was terrified to ride in the Chennai traffic of the 90s itself. And the route we took was via Meenakshi College and during that time of the morning, there would be quite some pretty girls either waiting at the busstop or walking in/out of the college. As we crossed that place, my head would automatically move to the left side till my Dad would give me a light rap on my head and ask to concentrate on the road ahead.

Ofcourse fortunately due to my good luck, nothing of that sort has happened yet and I hope it does not happen in future also.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:35   #587
BHPian

How do I spot bad drivers...

Whenever I see a car which is full of scratches and dents here and there, I know that the car has been driven by a bad driver and I need to stay away from him as he is out there to make a mark for himself
Old 13th March 2009, 09:46   #588
BHPian

I have seen guys on two wheelers chasing girls on two wheelers just to show who the boss is ! A limp driver suddenly comes into life seeing a girl on a two wheeler
Old 13th March 2009, 11:09   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, in a way, it does. ...due to my good luck, nothing of that sort has happened yet and I hope it does not happen in future also.
Most good drivers consider themselves lucky drivers, because only they themselves know those instances when their attention to the road had lapsed. But what actually matters is that a good driver leaves a large MARGIN OF ERROR which actually renders him lucky - the bad driver does not leave room for error, so considers himself unlucky.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:13   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Most good drivers consider themselves lucky drivers, because only they themselves know those instances when their attention to the road had lapsed. But what actually matters is that a good driver leaves a large MARGIN OF ERROR which actually renders him lucky - the bad driver does not leave room for error, so considers himself unlucky.
That says it all, very well said SS ji.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:58   #591
BHPian

Whenever i see a girl or a lady driving, or an aged person driving, i just try to stay away from their vehicle in order to keep mine in shape. Girls, ladies, aged persons drive in a way that is no where a style of driving. They take turns without switching indicators, they can slow down anywhere they want to, they don't give you way even though they know that they are driving at 20 and you at 40 !! When i was learning to drive at Maruti Driving School, my trainer gave me a tip that whenever you see a lady driving the car, stay away because they take turn anytime without letting you know. And if they bang with you, the fault is yours because people are always ready to help a lady. So for me these people are the bad drivers.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:56   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Whenever i see a girl or a lady driving, or an aged person driving, i just try to stay away from their vehicle in order to keep mine in shape.
----
And if they bang with you, the fault is yours because people are always ready to help a lady. So for me these people are the bad drivers.
Pretty much standard advice david, you are absolutely bang on when you mention girls (not all), ladies(most of them) and aged persons(most of them), best is to avoid them, sound advice.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:21   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Whenever i see a girl or a lady driving, or an aged person driving, i just try to stay away from their vehicle in order to keep mine in shape.
David, you stay away from the females and the geriatrics, and don't notice the young alpha male tailgating you at 90 km/h. I am far more wary of the tailgaters than the females and geriatrics who are confused on the road because other drivers crowd them out, unnecessarily honk at them and generally behave badly.

Let's have a little respect for other drivers, leave some room for them to manoeuvre, and not scare them out of their wits with our airhorns and xenons. Only then can WE call OURSELVES good drivers. Not one of us can EVER call ourselves a BAD driver at any point of time.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:05   #594
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday almost got rear ended by a Ford(i guess)

This was on Marathalli road, it was about 10ish saw a car from back trying hard to over take me he looked that he was in a hurry but as thier were some vehicles ahead of me could not go faster after a while go some space and accelerated a bit seeing that m sure this moron would have pressed the pedal hard... as we were appraoaching a speed braker i slowed down and since this guy was too close seeing me had to brake hard luckily he dint rear end but i heard loud screaching noise and saw on the rear view mirror his car doing salsa before coming to halt

After this instance he showed no hurry

Seriously dont know what to say about such Morons!
Old 16th March 2009, 14:45   #595
Senior - BHPian

Lohit,

you are lucky man.

I learnt my lesson about 6 years back on airport road. I was driving at about 60 kmph and there is a slight deviation towards right just before the military hospital where two ladies just popped out of an auto and landed up in the middle of the road. I had to brake hard and got rear ended by a maruti van (DHL). Maruti Van had the bull bar and my entire santro's rear was completely damaged. Even after a long discussion and police complaint my insurance had to pay for the damage.

Lessons I learnt that day -

1. Always give way to crazy tailgaters.
2. Give way to Onmi with Bullbar. They have really poor brakes and tyres.
3. Never accelerate hard when you are being tailgated.

tailgating is an offense in most developed countries where you can be fined a hefty fine. In India no one cares. I wonder where did the 3 or 2 sec rule disappear.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:46   #596
VKJ
BHPian

The best way to avoid tailgating is drive slowly, the guy behind you gets pissed off and either takes left or right way. Yielding is what I guess Dieselfan is mentioning here.

Other nuisance drivers are the guys who drive slowly and honking all the way! I am excluding senior and other disabled persons here, for example the courier vans keep looking for address on the steering wheel and honk continuously!
Old 16th March 2009, 19:10   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKJ View Post
Other nuisance drivers are the guys who drive slowly and honking all the way! I am excluding senior and other disabled persons here
came across one just last night was an 800 going at 30 kmph in the centre of the road.not giving me space to overtake.

i am always more cautious when driving next to badly dented cars or those with their rear view mirrors hanging.explains how they drive.

rev
Old 16th March 2009, 19:57   #598
Senior - BHPian

Yes i )

The way the car behaved after he braked hard i was shocked for a sec...

Thank god

Omini's are like scooters heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Lohit,

you are lucky man.

I learnt my lesson about 6 years back on airport road. I was driving at about 60 kmph and there is a slight deviation towards right just before the military hospital where two ladies just popped out of an auto and landed up in the middle of the road. I had to brake hard and got rear ended by a maruti van (DHL). Maruti Van had the bull bar and my entire santro's rear was completely damaged. Even after a long discussion and police complaint my insurance had to pay for the damage.

Lessons I learnt that day -

1. Always give way to crazy tailgaters.
2. Give way to Onmi with Bullbar. They have really poor brakes and tyres.
3. Never accelerate hard when you are being tailgated.

tailgating is an offense in most developed countries where you can be fined a hefty fine. In India no one cares. I wonder where did the 3 or 2 sec rule disappear.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:14   #599
BHPian

Drivers(esp cabs) that drive right behind you or at you with full beams. I've actually stopped the car and whacked one of them. Now, a simpler solution is getting out of the way till they pass me by and then blinding them for like 10 secs. Its enough to teach them their lesson. Ofcourse, dont do it at the risk of causing an accident but it sure does bug the hell out of me.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:58   #600
Senior - BHPian

I really hate the people who drive at 20kmph on a 80kmph stretch and that too middle of the road. Do anything and honk as much as your cars lungs can go but they wont budge an inch.
I really feel like smashing there car from behind badly. Mostly they are ladies or old people(no disrespect for either but i strongly feel dont come on road until you know how to drive properly).

The other ones who irritate me most is -no left right indication and just turn, common please if you got a damn 10 lac and more bucks to buy a car have some brain how to drive it as well (but sadly brain is not available to buy)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks