Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
"When do People learn to be Responsible on the road"
when do people EVER be responsible?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:13   #917
BHPian

+5 @ Scorcher: You did some good work helping the needy

In our country some people start driving even without a license and we all know how easy it is to get a license via RTO Agents and the likes hovering around RTO premesis. Only if RTO has stricter norms and regulations wherein they actually check if the applicant is capable of driving in all city/highway conditions it could be a different story.

The vehicle taken for the test is different from the one the applicant is actually going to drive. Driving schools should have an elaborate course in class before letting the learner take on the wheel. IMHO.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:23   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Why do you say so? Any specific pattern that you have observed?
In New Delhi, I have observed that people with HR number plates are usually rash drivers (maybe the law enforcement there is not strict enough), again this is my observation and no offense is intended to any of the good drivers with such numbers
Old 11th March 2010, 14:39   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
In New Delhi, I have observed that people with HR number plates are usually rash drivers (maybe the law enforcement there is not strict enough), again this is my observation and no offense is intended to any of the good drivers with such numbers
Wanted to post this earlier, in Bangalore I observed most of the UP, DL, AP registered vehicles drive very rashly. I have seen more than 10 vehicles from these states who drive rashly.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:16   #920
BHPian

...also people driving with front black glass
Old 11th March 2010, 15:39   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Wanted to post this earlier, in Bangalore I observed most of the UP, DL, AP registered vehicles drive very rashly. I have seen more than 10 vehicles from these states who drive rashly.
there are exceptions, but i've always noticed (whenever i've had an encounter) that DL folks drive their vehicles on the roads like they own it! they park wherever they feel like.

the other day on the Thippasandra Market Road (which is a 24hrs one-way) i saw a guy and a gal on their Pulsar making their way in the opposite direction! i stopped my car in front of their bike and asked why they were going in the wrong way. the guy just stared at me. when i asked him if he didn't know that it is a one-way, his response startled me: "so what if it's a one-way?! (actually he said that in Hindi - one way hai to kya hua?)" we're not talking about uneducated folks from rural India. this guy worked for DELL!

guess what the registration number of that bike was - DL 4C
Old 11th March 2010, 21:38   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
... a lady sitting in the rear merrily look a can, opened it and started to pour something on the road. I was right in the back and i suddenly carved away from the falling thing. All of a sudden i hear some big bangs and thuds behind me. I was shocked to see a pile of bikers heaped on the road, 7 of them to be precise. This dumb lady has poured a big can full of 'OIL' on the road. And the jeep was a mile ahead when people were getting hurt and bruised because of that foolish womans act.
One could hardly have a more instant reminder of the ills of littering! Or a more horribly stupid one!
Quote:
No, oldie here. She is a architect in her mid 30's.
Back in my mother country (UK), it is as hard to become an architect as it is to become a doctor, accountant, etc. Even with the most elementary practical experience, let alone a technical education, surely it is easy to understand that oil is slippery? I wonder if this woman would pour it on the tiles in her house?

Old 11th March 2010, 23:57   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when do people EVER be responsible?
Exactly. I just can't understand how she could do such a thing and not even be 1% regretive about her act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inreverse View Post
+5 @ Scorcher: You did some good work helping the needy
Thanks buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One could hardly have a more instant reminder of the ills of littering! Or a more horribly stupid one!
Back in my mother country (UK), it is as hard to become an architect as it is to become a doctor, accountant, etc. Even with the most elementary practical experience, let alone a technical education, surely it is easy to understand that oil is slippery? I wonder if this woman would pour it on the tiles in her house?
Agreed ! The injured were waiting by the road and I was sure none of our 'citizens' are going to take them to hospital. So i had to leave with the cop immediately, other wise i would have cleared all by doubts.
Old 18th March 2010, 02:07   #924
BHPian

Our vacation during the extended Ugadi weekend would have been the best we’ve had, but for an incident on our return trip home that left a sour taste in the mouth. We had pushed off for Ooty and Conoor on Saturday, and rounded off the trip with a stopover at Mudumalai wildlife sanctuary (more of that coming up in the travelogues section soon). Since the jungle safari at Mudumalai was closed, we decided to take the morning safari at Bandipur and push off for the return journey Bangalore by afternoon.

It was steady cruising on the lovely NH212 until I encounter this black Optra, KA 03 MF 1089 (and I don’t think I am breaking any protocol here by publishing his number on this thread) at 15:45 hrs, somewhere around Gundlupet hogging the middle of the road at near triple digit speeds, accelerating and applying the brakes unnecessarily and barely managing to cope with the bends at every corner. I consider it unsafe to trail such an erratic driver and decide to pass. With a clear stretch of grippy tarmac and sparse traffic, my car accelerates sweetly and the Optra disappears from my rearview.

I don’t get to see him for another half an hour until Nanjangud. The traffic is slow and trailing a heavy truck. The entire traffic slows down further to cross a speedbreaker and suddenly the Optra reappears menacingly in my rear-view. Seconds later there’s a loud screech of tyres behind me, and a rude thud at the back, enough to lunge my car forward by a couple of meters and barely missing the Alto ahead. Shell-shocked I pull over by the side and alight from my car, heart pounding at the thought of what might have been had the impact been stronger, especially with my kid sitting on his mother’s lap. I approach the driver of the Optra and out comes a young guy who looks like one of those spoilt college brats. “What the hell was that?” was my spontaneous reaction. The response – a terse “I’m sorry sir, but I did apply the brakes. Didn’t you hear my tyres screeching?” Startled by the in-your-face response, I point out that I had a child in the car and things could have been far worse. What was it that made him totally ignorant of the slow traffic ahead of him, with ample time to react? Pat came the response from his co-passenger, another guy who does not even bother to step out of his half-reclined seat – “We are sorry, we’d be careful from now on”.

Sensing the futility of any further discussion, I examine my rear bumper – 2 small cracks to the right of the number plate, some scraping of paint but fortunately no dents – thanks to the design safety incorporated behind those flimsy plastic bumpers of the Swift. I decide rather reluctantly to let the whole thing pass and let the morons drive off. In hindsight, I think I should have alerted the cops ahead, but again, the whole effort might have been futile especially since the damage was not substantial. However, I still stop to ponder why he could not stop when he could clearly see the entire traffic crossing the speed breaker, that too with a stable vehicle like Optra and wide, low-profile rubber. Was it intentional – a hurt ego on being overtaken by a smaller car? Was he under the influence of drugs (I don’t think I smelt alcohol)? Who knows? But to me he is a one of those who make our roads unsafe for us and our families. I am not sure if he would have had the slightest amount of remorse after the incident, but I just hope that he would be more responsible on the roads in future. My sincere apologies for such a long write-up, but as a proud BHP-ian I drive safe myself and wish the drivers on our roads drove responsibly as well.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:20   #925
Senior - BHPian

^^If I were in your place, At least I would have taken a snap of the bloks and their car in my cell phone and walked back to the car. That would have been enough to make them to be careful there onwards. Anyways, in such a situation, I always slow down, if required pull over, to let them pass and go beyond vision, to be safe. But here, you just didn't have enough time even to do that. Terrible but, expectable.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:06   #926
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of thoughts...

--- it is safer to be behind a bad driver, rather than in front of them

--- wear seat belts always, and never drive with an unbelted child, or a child on someone's lap.

As to being under the influence: the guy was probably just under the influence of his normal driving style!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th March 2010 at 12:12. Reason: quoted post deleted
Old 18th March 2010, 14:30   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Couple of thoughts...

--- it is safer to be behind a bad driver, rather than in front of them

--- wear seat belts always, and never drive with an unbelted child, or a child on someone's lap.

As to being under the influence: the guy was probably just under the influence of his normal driving style!
+1 to that

I try my best follow lane dicsipline in busy Bangalore traffic

2 incidents (few weeks back):

1) Near Kanteerava Stadium - I saw one Ikon in my rear view mirror which was driven like an auto, and kept on honking from behind. I ignored him as traffic was slow due to some construction work. But somehow he squeezed in and went ahead and continued his activity. At next signal on an attempt to overtake an Alto from left side he hit the LH bumper damaging it and scratching both LH doors.

2) Intermediate ring road - An indigo (private) cut me from left immediately after the signal turned green and zoomed ahead. Within 5 min we saw the vehicle parked on road side (few hundred mtrs before Dell). He had hit a Indica cab and an auto.

Last edited by Latheesh : 18th March 2010 at 14:37.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 15:23   #928
BHPian

For me, the list of bad drivers include:

1. People driving with the ORVMs closed oblivious of the cars in the adjacent lanes.
2. People driving while talking on the cell phone.
3. Ladies who drive and apply make-up at the same time (I've seen a lot of women here do that.)
4. Men who drive with a child in their lap. Yes!!! they have a child in their lap while driving on the highway at speeds sometimes higher than even 100kmph. (Surprisingly, I've not come across women who do that. Hence, I've mentioned men specifically).
5. Drivers (like my sister) who squeeze a car into a gap fit for an auto-rickshaw and end up causing dents / scratches.
6. Drivers who tailgate at high speeds.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:09   #929
BHPian

Another indicator. Drivers/riders who cut corners while turning right, usually on undivided roads. Very common with bikes and sometimes with cars as well.

A right turn should ideally be taken wide enough that you stay in your own lane. But for some reason, a lot of people who intend to make a right turn slide into the right-hand/wrong side of the road while approaching the right turn, then turn into the wrong side of the road that they are entering and then come back to the correct side.

They gain probably just a couple of feet by doing this and run the risk of coming up straight against a vehicle from the opposite direction in the road that they turn into.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:30   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Another indicator. Drivers/riders who cut corners while turning right, usually on undivided roads. Very common with bikes and sometimes with cars as well.
They gain probably just a couple of feet by doing this and run the risk of coming up straight against a vehicle from the opposite direction in the road that they turn into.
May be they are trying to imitate Formula One drivers.

Even when there are no dividers and there are no markings to separate the lanes, a good driver would mentally draw a dividing line and stick to his side of this imaginary line. Someone who does not honor the division of lanes is a bad driver, IMHO.

Most Viewed