Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 20:00   #961
BHPian

Bad drivers!
I know one bad driver very well. It is my aunt. She is 73 and she insists on driving wherever we go. What does she do? Many things! To start with, she drives in the middle of the road at 15-20 kmph. She is always in everyone’s way. Vehicles behind us honk continually and I think she feels that, they are all saying hello! That explains that ever present smile on her face. There is never a smooth flow of traffic around her. She keeps looking at the speedometer as if she is going over the speed limit.
I like the way she parks. She thinks the tyres are touching the curb, but in reality, they are four feet away. That’s okay. We can walk to the curb. Whenever she makes a right turn, she goes to the extreme left before she turns right. Why?, I don’t know.She doesn’t do much good to the car either. At her speed, she runs the car in top gear and you know that is not helping the gearbox or the transmission. When I suggest to hire a driver, she thinks it’s a waste of money and nobody drives as safe as she does. I could tell her that she is a very bad driver but I will not. She may put me out of her will. Oh, I forgot to mention. She is loaded
Old 28th April 2010, 20:56   #962
lsp
BHPian

I dont know about the rest of us but IMHO someone who parks his/her car such that one of the tyre is completely off the ground and that too in a hatchback isnt someone I would call a good driver.

You decide for yourself!!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-swift1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-swift2.jpg
Old 28th April 2010, 21:02   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Bad drivers!
I know one bad driver very well. It is my aunt.

I could tell her that she is a very bad driver but I will not. She may put me out of her will. Oh, I forgot to mention. She is loaded
I hope no one points her to this thread and your post. You couldn't explain this post away by saying it's another aunt you were talking about - she's really unique.

Do encourage her to drive like this. Maybe you'll get the largest chunk in her will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Well, i also consider the ones who are so desperate to overtake you as the bad drivers.
Well, then, you'd like to read about this incident...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Being overtaken is never a big (or even minute) deal for me - except on a very rare occasion, like today.

Was returning home on the Hawk-on-fours through the narrow lanes of Green Avenue (about enough space for two SUVs to pass abreast). My speed was about 40 km/h. I was dangerously overtaken by a Hiace with CD plates, squeezing me almost into the trees! There was a tractor coming the opposite way, and the Hiace's manoeuvre was timed very badly. It had black windows, and I had no idea how many people were there.

After overtaking me, the Hiace sped up to about 70 km/h, and ran full tilt over a few bumps on the road. Both sides of the road have farmhouses, with gates through which cars pop out regularly without warning.

I decided to follow the microbus, and managed to overtake it near the main road (D-3/4). I overtook it - and stopped. Stopped for a full two minutes. Every time the bus tried to dodge/squeeze past, I'd gently turn my car that way. The frustrated driver started honking.

Two minutes up, I drove away. No words exchanged. No getting out of the car. No heated exchange. No fights.

All he saw was the T-BHP IDS sticker on my tailgate.

The time advantage he gained by overtaking me dangerously, was effectively cancelled out with interest. Hope the driver learnt. If not, there's not a damn thing you or I can do to a CD-plated car.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th April 2010 at 21:07.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:15   #964
J.Ravi

According to this report in today's Deccan Herald, "Bangaloreans are reckless drivers, who have no traffic sense and no qualms about violating rules as long as they get their way, is the general opinion". And I agree with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-recklessdrivers.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 29th April 2010 at 10:17.

Old 29th April 2010, 10:35   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
According to this report in today's Deccan Herald, "Bangaloreans are reckless drivers, who have no traffic sense and no qualms about violating rules as long as they get their way, is the general opinion". And I agree with this!
+1 mate. whenever i'm on the road, i feel i'm surrounded by nincompoops! i used to take pictures of people violating traffic rules. however, looking at the sheer number of people who violate traffic rules, i stopped taking pictures!

Old 29th April 2010, 11:32   #966
BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8 View Post
Hey Bhpians,

I am not sure if these have been covered already. Its worth another mention in any case i guess.

Certain driving habits/styles that I cant seem to tolerate:-
  • Driving with the ORVM's closed. (even the one on driver side)
  • Not maintaining a safe distance from your vehicle (and ultimately bumping into you)
  • Pointlessly leaning on to the horn.
  • Having absolutely no idea about the functionality of the indicators.
  • Excessive lane changing
  • Texting while driving, as if talking on the phone wasnt bad enough.
The list goes on but these, I think are the most annoying.
I very much support 200% for the points mentioned by @XLR8.
These are not from cab drivers. Anyways, they will do it; but from drivers from new cars or may be youngistans of Bangalore. No offense please.
Everyday I travel from Vidyapeeta circle to Bagmane tech park. Everyday, i come across such horrible folks and avoid them completely.

Sometimes, i observe that when somebody sees T-BHP stickers on my car they start chasing me or tailing me for no reason. I just give up or give them way to overtake.

We should kick-off some traffic rules drive across Bangalore just like the Bus Day ASAP.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:37   #967
BHPian

I thought the more appropriate question would be "Good Drivers - How do you spot 'em".

Most posters seems to echo the sentiment that the traffic is filled with crazy drivers. That would justify bad drivers are every where. Its the good drivers that are hard to come across. I do come across good drivers once in a while, though its rare.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:39   #968
Senior - BHPian

1. you would think literate people drive high-end cars. think again!

2. that's the entrance to the street where our apartment is. since there is a market and a restaurant nearby (and a lot of other things), people park their vehicles in our street and completely block the exit! although not seen in this shot, there is a tree to the left of the Amby which prevents from any other 4-wheelers from entering or exiting the street! that picture was taken this evening - couldn't get our Getz in and it was raining. had to go round about to get home. i'm sick and tired of these btards, so much so that i walked out in the rain after parking my car just to take this picture and post it here!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0326.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0327.jpg  

Old 1st May 2010, 19:00   #969
Senior - BHPian

Come on the highways & you would get these in tonnes. Last time I was driving back from my native place, there was an Himachal Pradesh registered M800 that was being driven in speed around 120 kmph. That man had the nerved to do so on a car with drum brakes only. Adding to his stupidity was the fact that his sole co-passenger was a young boy under 10 years old sitting on the front seat next to him.

And then there are many who try to race with the Delhi Lahore bus in order to save time to reach their destination, thereby creating a chain of vehicles being dangerously following high speed inter-country bus.
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:38   #970
Senior - BHPian

further to point #2 in post 968, the obstacle course we've to go through to get home. very nice parking etiquettes. half the road is taken by two wheelers, the rest by the morons like this Omni and that Amby above.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4286.jpg

and more bad drivers:
Koramangala 3rd block - St. John's hospital road junction. the guy in the Alto is on the right lane, but wants to go left!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4282.jpg

13th Main Indiranagar - 24hrs one way, but still people don't have compunction driving in the wrong direction.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4285.jpg

Thoms Cafe circle - "We don't need no side-view mirrors"
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4287.jpg
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:43   #971
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I strongly agree to that report based on my own personal experience !
Old 4th May 2010, 14:27   #972
Senior - BHPian

saw this biker on the OMR/80ft road signal. its because of him and his kind that we all have high BP (not BHP)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0334.jpg
Old 4th May 2010, 16:08   #973
Senior - BHPian

Cars with folded side mirrors are one of the best indicators of a stupid driver!!Every day I come across morons driving in the center of the road with folded SRVM's.

Another way of telling "I am a pathetic driver !!" is to drive on the right most lane ,when on a 4 lane /6 lane highway.No matter how fast one is travelling,the rightmost lane is only for overtaking!!
Old 4th May 2010, 16:12   #974
BHPian

I hate those people who have to take "left", they first overtake you and then take left from front of you !!
& Hate those do not use their OVRMs
Old 4th May 2010, 17:11   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
1. you would think literate people drive high-end cars. think again!
First of all, I don't see any high-end car there in that picture mate.!
And w.r.t high-end cars, if the ORVMs are folded, be 100% sure it is a driver behind the wheel. And those high-end car owners don't hesitate to deduct from the driver's salary if the ORVM is broken for no fault of his. SO what else we could expect?

Most Viewed