Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 18:03   #976
Team-BHP Support

Nothing wrong with folded ORVM in heavy traffic. If you do not fold it, somebody will break it. So many bikers and sometimes even buses in Delhi pass within 2 inches.
Thankfully the safari has ORVMs which can fold in either direction, hence had many saves, but normally in jams, I fold both ORVMs to protect them. Already lost 2 on the indica, one when a rickshaw sqeezed by, and one by a bus which passed too close in a jam.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:12   #977
Senior - BHPian

Another type of bad drivers are those who while entering a main street from a side road to turn left doesn't look to the right but trespass into someone's trajectory. These stupid drivers think that it is free turn toards left, which is only at intersections but forgets always that right of way is to the traffic from the right. Right?

There are certain others who never dips their mainbeams fearing that their dipper switches are wired to time bombs. If the oncoming vehicle also ups the main beams these bad drivers would gropple in the light. Right?

What is of utmost importance is that at normal speeds you get more visibility on the road in low beam position and also during rains. Without understanding the laws of light refraction these bad drivers put their high beams and litrally crawl blinding the oncoming law abiding drivers.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th May 2010 at 18:19. Reason: Addition
Old 4th May 2010, 18:33   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Another type of bad drivers are those who while entering a main street from a side road to turn left doesn't look to the right but trespass into someone's trajectory. These stupid drivers think that it is free turn toards left, which is only at intersections but forgets always that right of way is to the traffic from the right. Right?
You would find many such examples in chennai.we have to be extremely cautious when there are roads joining from the left or right.

bikers are a havoc here they just need to see some space in front of your vehicle they would squeeze in.they assume that every other vehicle on the road is stationary
Old 4th May 2010, 19:16   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nothing wrong with folded ORVM in heavy traffic.
Astonished to see this advice from you! Heavy traffic is the very time that you need to know who is where and who is close, both behind and on both sides.

There is obviously a risk; we can do nothing if, while stationary, a bike or auto tries to squeeze through a gap that is just too small. Otherwise it is still worth remembering that it takes two to get that close!.
Old 4th May 2010, 19:57   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
First of all, I don't see any high-end car there in that picture mate.!
And w.r.t high-end cars, if the ORVMs are folded, be 100% sure it is a driver behind the wheel. And those high-end car owners don't hesitate to deduct from the driver's salary if the ORVM is broken for no fault of his. SO what else we could expect?
that's an ANHC, high-end by my standards. and no, it was not the driver behind the wheel - it was a well dressed guy with Aviator glasses. even if it were the driver, so what? still a bad driver.

i've seen BMW 7 series being driven around in thick traffic with the the ORVMs open, so no contest here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Astonished to see this advice from you! Heavy traffic is the very time that you need to know who is where and who is close, both behind and on both sides.

There is obviously a risk; we can do nothing if, while stationary, a bike or auto tries to squeeze through a gap that is just too small. Otherwise it is still worth remembering that it takes two to get that close!.
Dec. 16th 2006 16:00hrs we got the delivery of our Getz and at 16:05hrs we had a scratch on the right ORVM courtesy an auto driver who tried to squeeze in between our car and the car next to ours

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th May 2010 at 20:01.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:08   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Dec. 16th 2006 16:00hrs we got the delivery of our Getz and at 16:05hrs we had a scratch on the right ORVM courtesy an auto driver who tried to squeeze in between our car and the car next to ours
Another angle: Had you not kept the ORVM open, the auto driver could have come even closer and scratched your doors. Possible?
Old 4th May 2010, 20:25   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Another angle: Had you not kept the ORVM open, the auto driver could have come even closer and scratched your doors. Possible?
yes, that's quite possible, but it isn't a deterrent for me to keep my ORVMs closed. i'd be handicapped if i didn't have the ORVMs open.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:28   #983
Team-BHP Support

i dunno about you guys but i certainly cant drive without the ORVMs. i guess it depends on how and where your driving and your luck on whether they get scratched or not. ive seen that if people tend to be extra careful or drive like theyre scared they end up making mistakes.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:51   #984
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine always drives with OVRMs folded. To avoid damage he keeps it like that. He says that OVRMs are ornamental in nature, serves no purpose and is not needed for his driving.

Mind you, he is a highly educated, affluent professional. Drives around in a C segment sedan.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:51   #985
Distinguished - BHPian

If people are not going to use the ORVMs --- then it shouldn't matter much to them if they do get broken off!

The whole idea of not using them is like the old thing about not wasting the battery by switching the lights on!

I lost a mirror once, by going for a gap when I should have given way to the oncoming car. I expect his got broken too. It was certainly my fault.
Quote:
A friend of mine always drives with OVRMs folded. To avoid damage he keeps it like that. He says that OVRMs are ornamental in nature, serves no purpose and is not needed for his driving.

Mind you, he is a highly educated, affluent professional. Drives around in a C segment sedan.
There's certainly gaps in that great education! Or in his thinking!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th May 2010 at 22:54.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:02   #986
Senior - BHPian

when vehicles are whizzing past, this uncle is travelling at a leisurely 40-50kmph on the high speed lane. the bike on the left (FZ-16) is travelling approximately at 90kmph. there was another guy riding a Pulsar with two girls in pillion travelling faster than that FZ-16 (BETL this morning)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4302.jpg

maybe (s)he was in a hurry? also, look at the number plate - its in Kannada! how can a non-Kannadiga read this in case there is a hit and run incident? (basement of EC2).
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4303.jpg

no matter how much i honked, this guy just won't budge out of the rightmost lane. (near Dell office)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4307.jpg

dead-center drivers (Domlur flyover)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4308.jpg

one-way daredevils. (Thippasandra Market road - 24hrs one-way)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_4309.jpg
Old 5th May 2010, 00:22   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dead-centre drivers
--- reminds me of the auto drivers that think that the lane markings are there to centre the front wheel on!
Old 5th May 2010, 11:12   #988
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I noticed in the office car park today morning. One genius parked his City and is no where to be seen.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0156.jpg

The vehicle was running on a TR plate; and no, it is not a new vehicle. Not sure what the deal is.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:23   #989
BHPian

In Bangalore I find Bikers to be a bigger pain than autos or buses. They are like mosquitos crawl all over right side, left side, wrong side even on the goddam foot path. They will ride in the center of the road, on one ways and will cut right in front of you. In traffic jams they will squeeze past leaving a nice autograph on your side panels. They are truly the most painful part of driving in Bangalore. And just like mosquitos there are way too many...
Old 5th May 2010, 11:37   #990
BHPian

OT: Suresh, is that Your office car park? Looks like a resort man!
How do You guys manage to keep sane, when theres heavy rain/wind in the coconut farm!

Most Viewed