Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 09:53   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
You are just being oversensitive - nothing sexist as I see. It is just a recognition as simple as saying men are more muscular than women, or that women are better at language skills.

Without delving too much into the psychology - a greater time, interest and fantasizing of driving on the road makes an average man a better driver than an average woman.

Peace.
you couldn't have put this in better words 100% agree with you. Telling people things like men are (usually ) more stronger than men physically is a fact and not a sexist comment.

Pramod
Old 19th May 2010, 10:45   #1037
BHPian

I have two wheels as well as Four. It is true that two wheelers in Bangalore drive like crazy, but most of the time its not their fault! Four wheelers in Bangalore assume its birth right to occupy the road fullest! If two wheeler guy going slow in left, he gets honked to death! According to four wheeler two wheel should only drive nearer to footpath, even better on footpath or in drainage. I don't see any four wheels giving damn if I honk to overtake! Even better, I get honks from idiots in right lane going slow, and they don't want me to switch lane. In signals you are (two wheeler) expected to stand in extreme corner. By chance if you are in one of the lane, you will be honked to death! Don't assume that four wheelers are saints. Most of two wheelers institutionalized to Bangalore way of traffic. These 'four wheelers' once were two wheeler, they drive like two wheeler in four wheels.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:01   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

<Posted after a nine-hour powercut>

Sorry, Glass, but that is just the sort of post that I find offensive. Just look at the massive generalisations you made there.

It'd be fine if all this translated into practical truth, but it does not. Sure, there are women who think that a rear view mirror is for adjusting their hair and checking their lipstick, but hey, how many men are there who won't even unfold their OVRMS for fear of getting their precious paint scratched?

Whilst it is true that there are cultural stereotypes that do reflect in interests adopted by different genders, and also in beliefs in ability to do various things held by different genders, it is long since debunked that this has anything to do with nature, and certainly nothing to do with science.

I am not being over-sensitive --- but I am being sensitive. I can assure you that it is a sensitivity that it took me years, if not decades, not to mention the many lectures from women friends to acquire, and I am not going to keep quiet every time I feel offended at seeing the word woman in this thread.

Just happens that many of the best drivers I've known (including my late mother, born 1916, and continued to drive until a few months before her death, one week short of 90) and some of those that taught me deep lessons about cars and driving were ...women.

I don't mean to make this personal, but every time I read something like "... makes an average man a better driver than an average woman." I am honour bound to those women to say "bullshit".

It is particularly annoying because, without any doubt at all, the worst and most dangerous driving that I see here is almost always done by man. Which sex drives the taxis? Which sex drives the buses, especially the college and company buses?

What's more, I invite you to check out the building sites you drive past: you might find it necessary to re-examine even the assertion that men are more muscular than women?

Pramodkumar; perhaps your "facts" might stand a little re-examination.

So to take one example: what's with a woman parking her car with a wheel in the ditch? Even if she did happen to be adjusting her lipstick at the time, how about the thousands of men that might be on the phone? It is just a nonsense to draw attention to the fact that a woman did it.

Peace we can have --- but please try to understand. I'm no perfect human being; I'm still discovering and fighting prejudices in myself. It's an ongoing process and it lasts a lifetime.

Could probably write more. Be glad that the power has gone again... and my UPS is already empty from last night
Old 19th May 2010, 12:09   #1039
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I have two wheels as well as Four. It is true that two wheelers in Bangalore drive like crazy, but most of the time its not their fault! Four wheelers in Bangalore assume its birth right to occupy the road fullest! If two wheeler guy going slow in left, he gets honked to death! According to four wheeler two wheel should only drive nearer to footpath, even better on footpath or in drainage. I don't see any four wheels giving damn if I honk to overtake! Even better, I get honks from idiots in right lane going slow, and they don't want me to switch lane. In signals you are (two wheeler) expected to stand in extreme corner. By chance if you are in one of the lane, you will be honked to death! Don't assume that four wheelers are saints. Most of two wheelers institutionalized to Bangalore way of traffic. These 'four wheelers' once were two wheeler, they drive like two wheeler in four wheels.
I completely disagree with you on this.

Off late, I've seen quite a number of four-wheelers behaving themselves on Bangalore roads. In fact, I've noticed that at least two out of three wear seat-belts these days. And I've seen many starting to follow lane-discipline and watch the speed limit as well.

There are several nit-wits driving four wheelers who don't follow the rules, behave like they own the road and expect the right of way irrespective of the situation and many of them are cabbies or rich brats, but I can safely say that ALL TWO WHEELERS on Bangalore streets are horrible. There might be a few exceptions but I've never seen a single one.

Most people riding on motorcycles and scooters try and squeeze their way through traffic carrying their wife, two children, the mother-in-law and even the family dog. And they weave through traffic like there is no tomorrow!

And some male riders don't even stop when they see a car trying to reverse. They instead choose to ride around it expecting the car to stop. I haven't seen a single scooter fellow ready to stop and wait for the car to completely reverse or finish parking. I don't get it. Is it that hard for them to come to a standstill?

They find a spot and they instantly point their bike in that direction without looking to see if someone is in that lane! And I've seen some of them talking on cell phones inside their helmets!

Motorcyclists have no common courtesy for fellow road users. They see and opportunity in the form of a gap and they take it irrespective of whether it's right or wrong.

And the worst part of all this is that if the motorcyclist does come too close to the car and manages to touch it, the rider falls and it's instantly the fault of the four-wheeler. It's rather sad actually.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:18   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I completely disagree with you on this.

Off late, I've seen quite a number of four-wheelers behaving themselves on Bangalore roads. In fact, I've noticed that at least two out of three wear seat-belts these days. And I've seen many starting to follow lane-discipline and watch the speed limit as well.

There are several nit-wits driving four wheelers who don't follow the rules, behave like they own the road and expect the right of way irrespective of the situation and many of them are cabbies or rich brats, but I can safely say that ALL TWO WHEELERS on Bangalore streets are horrible. There might be a few exceptions but I've never seen a single one.

Most people riding on motorcycles and scooters try and squeeze their way through traffic carrying their wife, two children, the mother-in-law and even the family dog. And they weave through traffic like there is no tomorrow!

And some male riders don't even stop when they see a car trying to reverse. They instead choose to ride around it expecting the car to stop. I haven't seen a single scooter fellow ready to stop and wait for the car to completely reverse or finish parking. I don't get it. Is it that hard for them to come to a standstill?

They find a spot and they instantly point their bike in that direction without looking to see if someone is in that lane! And I've seen some of them talking on cell phones inside their helmets!

Motorcyclists have no common courtesy for fellow road users. They see and opportunity in the form of a gap and they take it irrespective of whether it's right or wrong.

And the worst part of all this is that if the motorcyclist does come too close to the car and manages to touch it, the rider falls and it's instantly the fault of the four-wheeler. It's rather sad actually.
Agree 100%. The issue in our country is we do not have anything called lane diciplin. No one wants to go behind another vehicle but in front of them resulting in vehicle's coming in front of you and speeds which can kill! There should be stricter law enforcement and motorists must respect and fear the law.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:21   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is particularly annoying because, without any doubt at all, the worst and most dangerous driving that I see here is almost always done by man. Which sex drives the taxis? Which sex drives the buses, especially the college and company buses?
That explains the whole point. That is Men with their driving skills at its best - of course it can be dangerous considering the safety of others etc. Around the world, the percentage of women in these jobs are less than that of men. In our country, we might have the notion that driving is a men's job but in some other countries, the opportunities are equal but still, they are less in numbers - ever given a thought why?

How many women drivers shining in Racing sports?

I understand your point that there are women drivers who knows how to drive very well. But very few - I mean very few - try to excel in their driving techniques and become a self learner to learn new tricks and techniques of driving. In my opinion, it is usually men who innovate dvanced driving techniques and it is usually men who are passionate about this, pursue this and get delight from it.

As a matter of fact, my wife still drives in the same way as she was taught driving, almost two years after learning. I remember making a lot of improvement on my own driving style and techniques even weeks after learning how to drive. Once I tried to teach her how to wheel-spin, and it was a disaster

Last edited by clevermax : 19th May 2010 at 12:33.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:23   #1042
BHPian

+1 suhaas. absolutely agree with you. hopefully once the metro is up in BLR these pests will get off the road.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:37   #1043
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Clevermax.
I can give you a true example here. Those from Chennai would know the famous Balaji Bhavan, in front of Chinthamani market in Anna Nagar. This hotel is right after a traffic light and on a curve. There is always crowd at the entrance and two wheelers parked there. One day I noticed a Santro, parked right on the road, in front of the hotel, as the parking space was already full with two wheelers. She was right on the road. Cars were coming on from the traffic light with speed and braking right behind her and trying to squeeze through the gap to her right, blaring horns on her, as there were on-coming cars as well. She was blissfully unwaware of all that happening behind her.
I tapped the driver's window and the window went down. I said to her "Madam, you have parked your car in a very dangerous place and someone from behind might hit you. Its not safe for you."
I was shocked on her reply "Sir, I have already parked the car as away as possible from the road you see". I didn't have anything more to say, I walked on.
Her 'as away as possible' was still in the middle of the road, but, for her, she was right.!

That's the difference. Most of the women drivers drive dangerously not because they want to drive rash, but because of ignorance. Most men drive dangerously because they want to drive rash.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 19th May 2010 at 12:40.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 12:38   #1044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Agree 100%. The issue in our country is we do not have anything called lane diciplin. No one wants to go behind another vehicle but in front of them resulting in vehicle's coming in front of you and speeds which can kill! There should be stricter law enforcement and motorists must respect and fear the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
+1 suhaas. absolutely agree with you. hopefully once the metro is up in BLR these pests will get off the road.
Absolutely! And I can't wait ether!

I had a very annoying experience a few days back..

I was on my way to Cox Town and I was at the Bypanahalli railway crossing close to the cemetery/grave yard. The road is just about wide enough for a BMTC bus on either lanes. Now there was this slightly obese scooterist talking on his cell-phone right in front of me and he was doing 8 km/h! The nincompoop refused to let me pass. I flashed my lights at first and he might not have noticed that so I honked once. And then twice. And then several times! The man was riding like he was on rails and he couldn't budge!

After ten grueling minutes, he finished his call and picked up speed. Now, he was doing an eye-watering 15km/h! And still in the middle of the road! I finally found a way to get past him and was thrilled when I did so.

On the same road, 2 minutes later, I'd slowed down when I saw a speed-breaker and watched the same 'uncle' ride gingerly past me while I was negotiating the speed breaker! He quickly got in front of me once again and programmed himself to travel at a blistering 15km/h once again!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2010 at 12:40.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:43   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can safely say that ALL TWO WHEELERS on Bangalore streets are horrible
hey, i take offense to that!

i follow lane discipline.
my front wheel doesn't cross the stop line at a signal.
i slow down and stop when the signal turns amber
i give precedence to pedestrians crossing the road.
if someone is reversing, i wait. heck, sometimes i help them reverse their car.
i use my indicators at every turn - day or night and even when changing lanes
i let folks travelling faster than me overtake. i watch my rear view mirrors and proactively (before i get honked) move to the side.
i don't jump red lights.
i always wear protective gear while riding and encourage others to do so.
i don't use high-beams in city limits
did i mention i was a good rider/driver?

Quote:
hopefully once the metro is up in BLR these pests will get off the road.
you think?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th May 2010 at 12:48.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:47   #1046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Quote:
but I can safely say that ALL TWO WHEELERS on Bangalore streets are horrible. There might be a few exceptions but I've never seen a single one.

hey, i take offense to that!

i follow lane discipline.
my front wheel doesn't cross the stop line at a signal.
i slow down and stop when the signal turns amber
i give precedence to pedestrians crossing the road.
if someone is reversing, i wait. heck, sometimes i help them reverse their car.
i use my indicators at every turn - day or night.
i let folks travelling faster than me overtake.
i don't jump red lights.
i always wear protective gear while riding and encourage others to do so.
i don't use high-beams in city limits

Iron Hawk,

I know you're a good rider. That's precisely why I mentioned that there are exceptions. But I haven't come across anyone so far! Good to know that you're better than the rest!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2010 at 12:49.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:57   #1047
BHPian

Quote:

you think?

I hope

There are always exceptions, but 90% of the two wheelers give the other 10% a bad name. Nothing personal buddy

Case in point suhaas' experience above ^^^^
Old 19th May 2010, 14:02   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
No one wants to go behind another vehicle
on this point specifically, if anyone has noticed, the first vehicle that stops at a signal is generally followed by the one behind slightly to the left attempting to overtake, and then the 3rd vehicle even more on the left in an attempt to make the gap and overtake and so on. At most signals you will see a diagnol line of cars, trucks, autos, etc. all trying to break the lane, but stuck since they didnt have the judgement to make the lane change in time. Mighty funny to watch if you ever noticed this its like a bunch of idiots thinking they can better the one in front
Old 19th May 2010, 14:05   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't bet on it! Chennai has a widespread suburban rail network as well as the MRTS. Roads are still choked with two wheelers. The Metro is coming up here too, but I don't expect too much improvement in road traffic. For all you know, the bikers may be thinking the cars will be off the roads and they will have a free reign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post

That's the difference. Most of the women drivers drive dangerously not because they want to drive rash, but because of ignorance. Most men drive dangerously because they want to drive rash.
Ha ha, driving dangerously is a "macho" thing, of course!

Quote:

I bet you drive a car too. "Stand alone" bike riders are the main culprits.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:24   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
For all you know, the bikers may be thinking the cars will be off the roads and they will have a free reign!
my thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I bet you drive a car too.
that is correct. been driving for 22yrs and riding for 20yrs and no, i'm not old - just started very young

Most Viewed