Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 15:56   #1051
BHPian

any woman .

ok female defenders . if woman are as good as men how come no woman driver in motogp/f1/f2/wrc . there might be 1/2 anomilies but rest are men . its all skill .

few reasons women cant drive -

they have no interest in cars - they just don't get the same enjoyment we do, so their focus wanders and their execution suffers . Women have no interest in cars beyond them serving as appliances of transport. As long as it starts, all is well. So when dash lights flash, components make ugly sounds or smoke appears, it may or may not resonate with the female driver that these are less than ideal operating characteristics

no spatial ability - its is controlled by testosterone hormone and women have it negligible . Such spatial ability includes the ability to assess spaces and judge distances, skills which are essential to driving.

when a man drives the car is extension of his self . he's aware of the surroundings , it has evolved over millions of years . men used to go hunt and it requires very quick reflexes ,judgment and awareness . these genes give guys the natural advantage . women treat like a machine and dont fully understand how it works , they are short in height and hardly can see over steering . most dont adjust seats and mirrors and only do when they have stopped to put makeup/lipstick

even on making a mistake they refuse to improve and think by saying sorry the man bleeding will get ok .or quickly start crying crocodile tears and mobilise public opinion . the other dumb men also quickly come to offending woman's side hoping to get in their good books/elsewhere

women also cant handle a drink .when in a co-ed group people drink the women feel they should act like men and drink as much as men . they should understand their limits and not try to match up . they get drunk much quickly and when driving it shows .

dont understand things like flashing lights/honking means move , i wanna overtake .Vehicles behind honk continually and I think she feels that, they are all saying hello!

they are usually scared and drive paranoidly . they think driving school mein 15 days ive learnt enough ,now im ready to hit the road. though usually the innocent cars and others people on road are usually hit .confidence is not there and it is required to get any job done

if one of us men sees some near /dear female making mistake we should point it out . many think they should not do it out of respects or the fact that their wives/gf will take it badly and start arguing crazy cos women feel they are always right .although exceptions can be made like that guy few pages back who had a fortune to inherit and the old lady's bad driving might be fatal and bring him close to his bounty

a study links -
Women and gay men are 'worst drivers' - Telegraph

pics and videos coming up soon ....
Old 19th May 2010, 16:20   #1052
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps you would like to enumerate the reasons men can't drive?

Lets face it: most of the guys I see can't, and the so-called professionals are the worst.

I have had enough of this crap, and especially the pseudo-scientific justification. This used to be an interesting thread, with lessons for all. I've had enough of it.

Guys... think for once.

That's all from me.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:27   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
they have no interest in cars - they just don't get the same enjoyment we do...

no spatial ability - its is controlled by testosterone hormone and women have it negligible . Such spatial ability includes the ability to assess spaces and judge distances, skills which are essential to driving.

when a man drives the car is extension of his self . he's aware of the surroundings , it has evolved over millions of years . men used to go hunt and it requires very quick reflexes ,judgment and awareness . these genes give guys the natural advantage . women treat like a machine and dont fully understand how it works , they are short in height and hardly can see over steering . most dont adjust seats and mirrors and only do when they have stopped to put makeup/lipstick

even on making a mistake they refuse to improve....

dont understand things like flashing lights/honking means move , i wanna overtake .Vehicles behind honk continually and I think she feels that, they are all saying hello!

they are usually scared and drive paranoidly . they think driving school mein 15 days ive learnt enough ,now im ready to hit the road. though usually the innocent cars and others people on road are usually hit .confidence is not there and it is required to get any job done
Now that's an explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Lets face it: most of the guys I see can't, and the so-called professionals are the worst.
I have had enough of this crap, and especially the pseudo-scientific justification. This used to be an interesting thread, with lessons for all. I've had enough of it.
Guys... think for once.
That's all from me.
Sir, what I wrote may be pseudo scientific, but what's written above by Mr. Nobody should make sense.
I think the discussion is a healthy one and I don't think the thread has lost its interstingness as you say.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th May 2010 at 16:36.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:07   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Surprise!!! First time in Bangalore!!

I spotted a good lady driver (in her mid 20s) driving a black alto on elevated way yesterday.

She was
1) Wearing seat belt
2) Following lane discipline
3) Proper signalling

I followed her from BTM to ECity :-))

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th May 2010 at 18:09.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:41   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I followed her from BTM to ECity :-))
i'm hoping you were actually going that side and not just following the good lady driver

i see plenty of disciplined women drivers every other day - infact i saw one in a red i10 enroute orr to koramangala yesterday eve - driving perfectly in maddening traffic, with all the chaos caused by idiotic men!!

My point is that there are so few lady drivers that the good ones are easily dwarfed by the ones who drive strange or end up in a pickle if more women came out to drive, the ratio of good to bad would certainly improve.
As for women in motoring Vicki Butler-Henderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or try googling. Just because some sport is male dominated does not mean women can't be good at it !
Old 19th May 2010, 18:48   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Now come to think of it. How to spot a bad driver. Take this pick.

These sect while following you, when you slow down or come close to stop at a speed breaker or a pot hole or to avoid a pedestrian/cyclist, instead of slowing down would steer their car either to right or left blindly. This they do even while tailing a high speed vehicle when it suddenly brakes and thus becoming a sitting duck to be knocked around by oncoming traffic.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:00   #1057
BHPian

Some 'bad' driver/riders:

- Biker riders with unbuttoned jackets (with their jackets fluttering in the wind, you can't, at any given moment, predict which way they will they will turn.
- the praying driver/rider - you spot a temple on the road side, you enter into divine blissful world, oblivious of the traffic around you! I'm sure the god they pray to will be more concerned about the others on the road.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:28   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Jassi, for a very reasonable post.
Old 20th May 2010, 00:29   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Spotting bad drivers has transformed into almost one to one on side rear view mirrors, folded or not.
It goes without saying that good and bad drivers do this, especially during night, when a bad driver on high beam tails a good driver the good driver may be forced to fold his RHS nirror or even both.

The bad driver will always wait for the signal to turn green with his head lights in high beam (of course during night) whether he is upfront or behind in the waiting lot.

This reminded me of an incident when I was waiting at the red light and it was night time.

An Innova pulled up behind me with high beams!
All my RVMs were directing the light into my eyes!

then I adjusted the ORVMs so that the light is reflected back into Innova's passenger cabin and immediately he switched to low beam! lol
Old 20th May 2010, 10:35   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I completely disagree with you on this.
================
Can't help Indian justice system here mate! Its utter wrong but, but that's the way it is.
I too disagree with most of what you said. We agree to disagree then!
Most four wheeler give damn about two wheelers! Particularly for elderly chaps, chaps with family. I have never seen any four wheeler giving a way when me riding the two wheeler, even when there is a 500m empty stretch. Driving mannerism isn't exists in India. Rarely see a car stop at cross section seeing a two wheeler (Most of road doesn't have rule who gets priority). I get frequently honked (@near Jai deva fly over signal) for waiting in red signal in early morning (7:30?)... Haven't seen any four wheeler speeding down for avoid splashing a water during rainy season.

Four wheelers doesn't mean that car alone, bus (particularly BMTC, and these TN board buses (if you drive EC)), Yellow boards or Lorry and cars. As i said many have been institutionalized for this kind of driving more due to way other drive.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:14   #1061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I too disagree with most of what you said. We agree to disagree then!
Most four wheeler give damn about two wheelers! Particularly for elderly chaps, chaps with family. I have never seen any four wheeler giving a way when me riding the two wheeler, even when there is a 500m empty stretch. Driving mannerism isn't exists in India. Rarely see a car stop at cross section seeing a two wheeler (Most of road doesn't have rule who gets priority). I get frequently honked (@near Jai deva fly over signal) for waiting in red signal in early morning (7:30?)... Haven't seen any four wheeler speeding down for avoid splashing a water during rainy season.

Four wheelers doesn't mean that car alone, bus (particularly BMTC, and these TN board buses (if you drive EC)), Yellow boards or Lorry and cars. As i said many have been institutionalized for this kind of driving more due to way other drive.
Well I'm not saying that four-wheelers are angels on the roads. Most people behind the wheels of cars don't follow several rules like stopping for a red light or sticking to one lane. I've seen several cars swerve across the road as if they're riding Harry Potter's broomstick.

But two-wheelers automatically assume that it's their right of way. At the end of the day, it's a struggle to beat the guy in front of you. It's quite absurd, if not comical, but that's how it works here in India.

But two-wheelers IMO are the worst (Leaving out Autorickshaws of course). They take blind turns into the main-road without looking to see if there is something coming. And if they get hit, the bigger vehicle gets the blame as usual.

They ride past cross-roads at 1000 kilometers an hour without looking to see if there is something coming. Half of them balance their helmets on top of their heads and put them down when they reach a traffic signal. And then you've got the really gutsy fellows who keep their helmets on the RVMs or on their arms!

Then you've got the infamous gang-riders. Four on two seats!

And let's not even get started on the ported and chambered RXs that crawl around the city!
Old 20th May 2010, 12:07   #1062
Distinguished - BHPian

Four-wheel drivers have to give a damn about two-wheelers: often they have to take the responsibility for keeping those bikers alive.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:27   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then you've got the infamous gang-riders. Four on two seats!
saw half a dozen (and i'm not kidding) people on a Samurai on Dickenson road few days back - 3 adults and 3 kids (aged around 10-12). two kids on the tank, one between the two adults behind the rider.

i could only pity that poor bike
Old 21st May 2010, 12:50   #1064
Senior - BHPian

yesterday evening we took the car out to drop a friend home who was unwell. by the time we were back, my BP had risen a few notches! here's what happened.

first: on the OMR, waiting to turn right (heading towards Baiyappanahalli railway crossing) two LCVs try to cross the road at the same time and the bring the traffic to a standstill.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0409.jpg

second: on the same road (heading towards Baiyappanahalli railway crossing) encounter vehicles (vans, autos, two-wheelers you name it) going on to the right side and then when vehicles from the opposite side start coming their direction, try to squeeze between the vehicles already lined up on the left!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0411.jpg

third: on Coles road, waiting for the lights to go green, one two-wheeler makes contact with my left ORVM and another with the rear bumper trying to squeeze between the cars!

fourth: heading towards Majestic from Seshadripuram there's this wide road (not sure of the name) on which i was shocked to find vehicles happily driving on the wrong side of the road. even the BMTC buses!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0417.jpg

fifth: on our way back, on the turn just before the Command Hospital on the old Airport road, the light turns green and i move forward towards Cambridge layout and guess what - an office mini-bus (belonging to Federal something) comes head on to my side of the road, trying to cut the signal. i stop right in front of him and ask him to go from the other side. he demands that i move and promptly i don't! that's when the two cars behind us start honking - not in protest of what that mini-bus driver did, but instead asking me to move my a$$ so that they could move on! reluctantly i move slowly to the left to clear the mini-bus and thats when the bus driver leans over his window and tells me in Kannada - "don't drive like your father owns the road.." i just drove off with the two cars still honking at me.

Quote:
Half of them balance their helmets on top of their heads and put them down when they reach a traffic signal.
see, i found you an example
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0418.jpg
Old 21st May 2010, 12:53   #1065
Senior - BHPian

^^ The first picture, though it is blurred has something special in it. I like the way it looks. Portrays the traffic chaos in city streets very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Four-wheel drivers have to give a damn about two-wheelers: often they have to take the responsibility for keeping those bikers alive.
Agree 100% to that. Often two wheelers give their life in the hands of 4 wheeler drivers driving next to them!

Last edited by clevermax : 21st May 2010 at 12:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks