Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 12:30   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

1. Most dangerous things on the road are Parked Buses and Trucks. When you see them slow down. You never know when the angels behind their wheels start moving the vehicle to middle of the road, others be damned. And then even if you stop but not behind them, they will graze your car as they move on. After all you are not on a small Pulsar.

Most buses and trucks spew out a nasty cloud of black smoke when accelerating fast.
This serves as a warning.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:57   #1127
BHPian

Here's one more bad driver, to be cautious about.
KA registered Black Civic running MJ 5148.

She cut from the extreme right lane to the extreme left, with no indication, in thick traffic on the OMR at the KR Pura railway station junction.
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:41   #1128
BHPian

I usually try to spot a vehicle which isnt moving "purposefully". When I spot such a vehicle I overtake it, when conditions permit, or maintain a safe distance behind it.

Vehicles not moving at a steady pace, vehicles with their side mirrors not fully open, vehicles which sway from one lane to another without reason.. are to be avoided.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:03   #1129
Senior - BHPian

A very bad driver on the highway

Before I describe his doings, let me tell you the registration no: KL 08 AJ 4533.

This Black Alto was tailing us on NH-47 on monday evening. I tried to overtake him, but wouldn't give way. He kept on swaying like a boat. Then I overtook him, and was comfortably doing 70 when he was seen again on the ORVM, coming very fast. He was not honking, but trying to overtake us, squeezing us at every possible opportunity, and when he couldn't do it many times, overtook us from the left side, that too without any indication. This, he did while I was returning to our lane when i found on-coming traffic while trying to overtake a truck. Finally, when he managed to overtake me properly, he was going over 100kmph. The best part of it is, I found the same guy tailing a trailer at 50kmph after 5 minutes of overtaking us. I was doing 70-80kmph steadily (sometimes it went to 90 while overtaking). The trailer was going for a halt at the Walayar checkpost.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:21   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Before I describe his doings, let me tell you the registration no: KL 08 AJ 4533.

This Black Alto was tailing us on NH-47 on monday evening. I tried to overtake him, but wouldn't give way. He kept on swaying like a boat. Then I overtook him, and was comfortably doing 70 when he was seen again on the ORVM, coming very fast. He was not honking, but trying to overtake us, squeezing us at every possible opportunity, and when he couldn't do it many times, overtook us from the left side, that too without any indication. This, he did while I was returning to our lane when i found on-coming traffic while trying to overtake a truck. Finally, when he managed to overtake me properly, he was going over 100kmph. The best part of it is, I found the same guy tailing a trailer at 50kmph after 5 minutes of overtaking us. I was doing 70-80kmph steadily (sometimes it went to 90 while overtaking). The trailer was going for a halt at the Walayar checkpost.
that's a Thrissur registration! maybe he's one of them private bus drivers who terrorize people on the roads! my advice is to steer clear of these morons when you see them. they pose a danger to you ask well as themselves.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:26   #1131
BHPian

Weired style of driving

This thread is dedicated for the spotting and pics/videos share of unusual driving (automobiles only)

Mods: if thread already exists please do merge this thread.

My contribution for the thread.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc01942.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2010 at 18:22. Reason: Post split
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:58   #1132
BHPian

Whoa! Spotting bad drivers has at times turned into the Male-Female war and also the 2 wheeler-4 wheeler debate!!

I usually try and spot bar "riders" by their attire, bike's state and posture. If the rider is properly groomed, wearing a helmet and bike is neat, then he/ she is a safe (predictable) rider. In Pune, I tend to be aware of ladies in Jhansi-ki-rani attire. No offense to any lady rider but all offense to the attire. If I see a lady with a helmet, Jeans and Jacket/ T-Shirt, I smile and it makes my day. And they invariable ride well.

For 4 wheelers, I observe the tires for a while (if I can). It shows hos stable and predictable the driver is. The car might look like going straight, but the wheels seem to be trying to get past the traffic every now and then .

Lady drivers
They are "as good as" male drivers. The ladies who drive are actually fighting against too many man-made handicaps -
  1. Other male drivers "assuming" she is going to make a mistake and side-lining her.
  2. Elevating a perfectly normal driving error (slight one even) by her into a crime.
  3. Not extending normal road courtesies and blaming her for the chaos that follows.
  4. Staring and trying to overtake just cause she is a lady.
  5. Social handicap. Just to be behind the wheel might have taken her ages and ages of convincing.
  6. Lack of spatial senses as compared against a man (this is relative, but real).
  7. Lack of driving education - Parents and friends discuss cars and bikes with their sons/ male friends but rarely with a daughter/ mother/ female friend. Driving/ riding is each woman's personal & lone endeavor.
So we should give them a break. And try and not hassle her too much on the streets.

Once when a doctor known to me was taking my friend in her car to a larger hospital during an emergency, no amount of light and sound signals helped in parting the chaotic traffic in Mumbai. Then suddenly she asked me to drive "and don't worry about the car, just get us there in time" were the words she used. I went on overdrive immediately honking and flashing just like she was, and miracles of miracles, we started making much better time!!!!! If I were her I would be damn depressed and livid. And she (and most lady drivers/ riders) has to live with it every driving minute.
Get what I mean? Of course it did not help at all that she was young and beautiful. Well or prejudiced society would have reasons to block he even if she was middle aged and ugly or oldish...no?

One good thing in Pune. The ladies (on Activas) are as rash as the guys on their war horses (Pulsars, mostly) ! He he he.

Regarding 2 Vs 4 wheelers.

There are morons on the both sides. So the debate is evenly balanced. Yes 2 wheelers do tend to get into gaps and 4 wheelers do tend to push out 2 wheelers.

When I am riding (I have a car and a bike), even if I am doing the same speed as the car behind, more often than not the car driver tends to get irritated.

When I am driving, I do cringe when the bikes try to squeeze past and HONK when they try to get their front tire between me and the vehicle in front and then wait for more space .
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:54   #1133
BHPian

One who drives while speaking with cell phone;

One who romances with a partner beside him while driving;
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:24   #1134
Distinguished - BHPian

Exhaust_Note, very well-made points. You put it much better than I did when I tried, probably because you have more experience of the gender issue within this culture. Thanks for that post, it really was enlightening.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:28   #1135
Senior - BHPian

of lately i have seen many imbeciles (including 2 wheeler drivers ) running around in high beam. It is very disturbing in small roads as you loose focus from things like medians etc and you end up scraping them.

almost no one sticks to their lane nowadays. When driving i make sure i force the guy driving in the middle of the lane to the left by compulsive honking/Dim dip but many a times these drivers have huge ego's and do not budge so i end up overtaking through the left/crossing white/yellow lines.

And women drivers have become a cliche.
Not all are bad, i would rather use the term "extra careful".
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:53   #1136
Senior - BHPian

One of the greatest indication to watch for a bad driver - the ORVM's closed!!! A moron on Alto tried moving to the fast lane today on Krishnagiri-Vellore despite me blinking (Sorry, I still have the bad habit of considering honking as bad manners). Finally when I honked he moved. Fortunately this guy was driving with glass down, otherwise this guy would've not spotted me at all.

Next is indisciplined lane manners; Phew!!! I'm tired of seeing them & nothing more to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Then I overtook him, and was comfortably doing 70 when he was seen again on the ORVM, coming very fast. He was not honking, but trying to overtake us, squeezing us at every possible opportunity, and when he couldn't do it many times, overtook us from the left side, that too without any indication.
Sorry @silversteed, I would still blame you. These days, when I see someone speeding through my RVM's/ORVM's, I move to the left lane by left turn lights indicating that I'm leaving way for them. 99% of the time, I watch them much before hand & I not only indicate my movement, but also lift off my legs from gas pedal. I know you would call me insane or ask me why should I do it? But this is the way I feel to respect people's time & trust me, I get the same response when I try overtaking them. I've seen in several cases that when they get struck behind a slow moving truck & when they're about to move, they watch me or see me blinking lights & they would immediately stop & leave way for me to pass. Advantages?
1. You still get that uninterrupted speed
2. He knows for sure, you'll leave way for him, if at all he speeds up & wants to pass over you. This is the trust you have it with him.

PS - As, there're always exceptions, if the person still behaves like a moron, just ignore him/her. Once again, sorry @Silversteed, but this is what my experience has taught me.
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:51   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

If people want to overtake, best to just let them.

I have two exceptions...

--- the guy who indicates this by tailgating. This is not acceptable. I'm quite likely to slowly bring them to a stop! But hey, better get rid of them after that by getting them past.

--- the guy who wants to get just one car ahead in heavy traffic, by bullying everybody out of his way. Won't move over for him!

One day, I will cure myself of stubbornness. I'm making progress, but there's a way to go yet!
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:15   #1138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOWAGON_CL View Post
One who drives while speaking with cell phone;

One who romances with a partner beside him while driving;

Tell me about it.

Have to endure it every day in my campus.

Their koochi-kooing endangers others on road.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:29   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry @silversteed, I would still blame you...

...PS - As, there're always exceptions, if the person still behaves like a moron, just ignore him/her. Once again, sorry @Silversteed, but this is what my experience has taught me.
Hey, no need to be sorry.

Well, on NH-47, there's just enough space for two vehicles to pass each other (hope you know it). If I had any room to let him go past without him pushing me onto the roadside I would've been more than happy to oblige. That imbecile reminded me of the ricks and two-wheelers that squeeze their way in between cars and buses on city roads. I was ignoring him when he tried many suicidal attempts to overtake us - for example, he would veer right in a La-Fast n Furious style, only to face a KeSRTC/TNSTC bus or a container truck. Most often you can see these things from quite a distance if you're observant, as the road winds itself into smooth curves rather than a straight path. And he was in no mood to garner the fact that I was going slow behind a truck for that reason.

I've learnt many a lesson from this forum to drive defensively and I put them to practice too
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:41   #1140
Team-BHP Support

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-020620101560.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-020620101561.jpg

What you see here is a chauffeur-driven Honda City that was being driven very negligently. He wasn't driving it fast, but very negligently. As you can see, all his ORVMs were closed. From Richmond -Circle flyover (Bangalore Club) to Mayo Hall, he took blind turns without any sort of indication. He was making a path for himself without giving a hoot to anything beside him. And the worst part was that he wasn't fast or rash. In that case, you will be aware of the fact that there is a hooligan behind the wheel and give him all the space. But he was just casually turning, switching lanes, completely oblivious to everything behind him, beside him or in front of him!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-020620101567.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-020620101569.jpg

Here is a typical cabbie with his right side ORVM (and the only one) closed. No comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-020620101570.jpg

And here is a motorcycle (probably a cop-bike) parked bang in the middle of the road at Mayo-Hall in front of Bangalore Central. It is actually BANG in the middle! Although it might not have been a cop-bike because it didn't have any siren-lights or any thing that suggests that it belongs to the traffic-police.

P.S. notice the people walking casually on the road. What you don't see in the picture is the traffic (including two recklessly driven private buses) charging down the road. Couldn't get it in the frame.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks