Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:23   #1201
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language is STRICTLY prohibited on this community, even if used indirectly (*****). Do NOT use inappropriate words on Team-BHP. A clean protocol is absolutely imperative keeping our varied audience in mind.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2010 at 17:59.
Gooney is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th July 2010, 23:17   #1202
Senior - BHPian

people just can't stop breaking the rules!

[Koramangala 4th block] instead of waiting for the traffic to clear and then try to cross the road, he tries to squeeze in between, thereby blocking the traffic on the other side.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5248.jpg

[NGEF bypass] just can't wait like others in the line!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5275.jpg

another "squeeze-between". he's trying to get across the road by moving the blockade created to prevent people from crossing!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5256.jpg

nowadays its a regular feature to see the entrance of the BETL blocked by buses, trucks, LCV's and other vehicles trying to get ahead of the others already waiting in line.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5249.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5257.jpg

rules don't apply to the people enforcing the rules
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5277.jpg

"oh looky - no helmet! ta da! and my number plate is in Kannada!"
Old 8th July 2010, 23:35   #1203
Team-BHP Support

Here is a Fiesta with it's mirrors closed. It's one thing to have the left ORVM closed, but the right one? It's rather sad, really!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-070720101578.jpg

Here is a gentleman in a Fusion who had no idea what he was doing behind the wheel. In the midst of heavy traffic, he maintained a 3-cars length from the car in front of him, his wipers - both front and rear - kept going on and off and so did his indicators. More than confused, he seemed to be engaged in a heated verbal argument with his passenger. When the need to get a move-on arose, he just moved at his own pace and help up traffic through the whole stretch! (Ulsoor lake/Philips Milenia - Old Madras Road/Indiranagar BDA)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-070720101581.jpg
Old 9th July 2010, 10:59   #1204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Idiot in the Ford Ikon parked so close that the Indigo driver couldn't get into his car. Ikon could have easily parked a little to the right. Indigo dude was fuming, until he realised that he can get in from the passenger side

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-14052010260.jpg
Old 9th July 2010, 11:09   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Idiot in the Ford Ikon parked so close that the Indigo driver couldn't get into his car. Ikon could have easily parked a little to the right. Indigo dude was fuming, until he realised that he can get in from the passenger side

Attachment 383853
This is a very common thing in most cities nowadays. Even I have done this a few times but only when the car to my left has blocked space for parking an additional vehicle to his left. However, I always ensure that the person has a keyhole on his left side passenger door and that he can indeed enter his vehicle from the passenger side.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:17   #1206
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 383853
Once in Bangalore Commercial Street parking area, an Alto was literally sandwiched between two SUVs parked on either side. The Alto driver could not open the door - even from passenger side.
I was waiting behind him to park my car once he gets out.
But when he ran out of ideas and decided to wait till the other drivers came, I suggested him to enter the car through opening the Hatch(boot) door!! And guess what - he did exactly that!!

And guess what I did? I caught this video on my mobile. I will search for it and post here soon.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:52   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Bad drivers in signals:

1) one who keeps honking as soon as the signal turns green. cmon dude, i am not having a nap or a tea break here. i will move as soon as the vehicle in front of me moves. you honking wont help anything.

2) one who zooms off as soon as the LED time indicator reaches 5-7 seconds. bhaisaab, you waited for 30-60 seconds, whats the harm in waiting for 5 more seconds?

3) one who wants to go straight but will be standing on the free right/left lane blocking the rear traffic. no matter how you honk or flash, he will not budge... as i we are at fault!

Bad drivers in general:

1) those who keep their mirrors closed. i treat them as "blind".

2) those who dont use turn indicators. i treat them as "fools".

3) those who dont stick to one lane. half their car will be in one lane & the other half in next lane & he will be driving at 30kmph (most probably chatting with the co-passenger or on the cellphone), thereby blocking both the lanes.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:29   #1208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Here is a gentleman in a Fusion who had no idea what he was doing behind the wheel. In the midst of heavy traffic, he maintained a 3-cars length from the car in front of him
That might be me! The more the distance the better the driver!

And, if he maintained the distance, how could he have been holding anyone up?

On the other hand, a very good indication of a bad driver is that their head is turned towards their passenger, in conversation, instead of facing the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Once in Bangalore Commercial Street parking area, an Alto was literally sandwiched between two SUVs parked on either side. The Alto driver could not open the door - even from passenger side.
I was waiting behind him to park my car once he gets out.
But when he ran out of ideas and decided to wait till the other drivers came, I suggested him to enter the car through opening the Hatch(boot) door!! And guess what - he did exactly that!!

And guess what I did? I caught this video on my mobile. I will search for it and post here soon.
I've done the same.

Parked by the court while shopping in Parry's area, I returned to find that I couldn't get in either door --- and this is controlled parking with attendants, one of whom, I read, is quite famous for her ability to pack cars in, and to manipulate them, brakes off, like some board game!

Five-doors can mean just that, and very useful when needed

But, whoever parked the ikon is just stupid. I'm surprised there were no actual scratches.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th July 2010 at 13:39.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:46   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But, whoever parked the ikon is just stupid. I'm surprised there were no actual scratches.
Not Stupid. Just indifferent to others' plight. Look how much of a gap he has given himself to get in and out.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:47   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he maintained a 3-cars length from the car in front of him
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The more the distance the better the driver!
While in bumper to bumper traffic, would one need to maintain 3-cars length gap? Isn't that a bit on the higher side?
Old 9th July 2010, 21:44   #1211
BANNED

Quote:

Attachment 383853
This is atleast ok,one idiot opened the door from amby parked next to my swift and banged my rear door and made a small dent.

When this was happening i was walking towards my car and i count not do anything.Thought i would go and bash the passenger ,but unfortunately it was a 14-16 year old so i could not do anything ,just a stare
Old 9th July 2010, 22:15   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a Fiesta with it's mirrors closed. It's one thing to have the left ORVM closed, but the right one? It's rather sad, really!
Yeah, its not the wisest thing to do, driving with folded ORVMs.

But here is something different that I have to offer.

Location : BHOPAL (MP) Car: Baleno ; ORVMs Replaced during last 13 months:: 1 left, 1 right.
Esteem ; ORVMs Replaced during 8 month it was at Bhopal:: 1 left
A-star ; ORVMs Replaced during 8 month it was at bhopal:: 2 Right
800: No. of damaged ORVMs = 2 left 1 right

All this damage have mostly occurred because of two wheelers over taking recklessly and a couple of them due to oncoming two wheelers.

We shifted to bhopal last year. Traffic at Chandigarh was excellent. I had mainly been at Lucknow this year. Drove an Alto there. All these vehicles were used by my Dad at Bhopal. He has been driving since last 20 years. Have had owned around 8 cars till now and (touch wood) have not ever been involved in any kind of road mishap. Its not just me who says that he is a very good driver. He is a car enthusiast as well.

Still, he and I have ceased using ORVMs here.

1)Traffic conditions are bad to worse. Most of the roads do not have a divider.

2)Large no. of two wheelers are rashly driven. Four wheeled traffic is very slow.Around 30 kmph. Plus we both are more accustomed to drive on better roads.

3)Two wheelers overtake like maniacs and hardly maintain a distance of few cms. from the car.

4)Many alleys join the road near my home so there is two wheeled traffic emerging from all the directions.

5)And yes, from what I feel, they do not care about their safety. No helmets, nothing. Some dont even use headlights at nights.

Hence, we drive with both the mirrors closed. Am not justifying myself. I understand its not a sign of good driving. In fact I got a LHS ORVM on my 800 installed when I was learning to drive. Plus replacing baleno's ORVM is a pain in the you know where. Its not easily available. But now, its just the IRVM that is being used. After a year of spending hard earned money on ORVMs that were damaged due to no fault of ours, its best to keep them folded.

Traffic here is so bad that now we use 800 and dad's office car only.

Some people do use Civics and Octys here for regular commutes but frankly we have had too much of it. 800s ORVM cost a mere 50 bucks but still we are so fed up that at the most we use RHS ORVM only.

Many here may criticize me. But am sorry mates I cant help it.

PS- We make it a point to use ORVMs as soon as we hit the highways on out of town trips.

Regards.

MODS---Either something is wrong with the server or its my mozilla acting up, I cant use BOLD?SMILEYS options plus the spaces between the lines do not show up on posting. Okay, its rectified now. Used Opera

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 9th July 2010 at 22:24.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:32   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
After a year of spending hard earned money on ORVMs that were damaged due to no fault of ours, its best to keep them folded.
Many cars these days come with ORVMs that can move in both directions. This makes them sort of flexible and less prone to breakage. Minor impacts do not break them. You can try installing such ORVMs.

IMO, cost of ORVMs are much less compared to the risk of keeping them folded.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:35   #1214
Senior - BHPian

buddy, its fine if you are not using RVMs in a city like lucknow due to the above reasons but in a crowded city like mumbai, where cars keep barely a few cms gap, both RVMs are a must. even a small deviation to avoid a pothole must be taken after a glance in the RVM else you risk scraping the adjacent car or most probably a biker. in most cases, drivers with closed RVMs unnecessarily harass other road users.
Old 9th July 2010, 22:39   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Many cars these days come with ORVMs that can move in both directions. This makes them sort of flexible and less prone to breakage. Minor impacts do not break them. You can try installing such ORVMs.

IMO, cost of ORVMs are much less compared to the risk of keeping them folded.
True, they mostly do fold both the ways. But an impact still damages the mirror. Either the shell or the mirror itself. IMO in dense traffic like what am experiencing I'll still keep my mirrors folded. There is a limit to which I'll spend for no fault of mine. Also, it takes atleast a week for MASS to source BALENO's ORVMs from the factory. In the meantime if I have to take the car on highways/better roads I'll have no choice but to use IRVM only. Also, I'll like to have baleno's ORVMs on my Baleno. Am in no mood of fixing Verna's or any other car's ORVM on my car. Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
buddy, its fine if you are not using RVMs in a city like lucknow due to the above reasons but in a crowded city like mumbai, where cars keep barely a few cms gap, both RVMs are a must. even a small deviation to avoid a pothole must be taken after a glance in the RVM else you risk scraping the adjacent car or most probably a biker. in most cases, drivers with closed RVMs unnecessarily harass other road users.
True. Lucknow is not that bad. Am talking about Bhopal. Do not know about Mumbai, never driven there but still its easier using ORVMs in very crowded cities like Dehli during peak traffic hours than here. Here, its no divider, no lanes.. more like 'free for all' kind of affair with two wheeled traffic pouring in from all directions. Only solution to this seems to be to keep using my old 800 and use its ORVMs. They cost a mere 50 bucks so replacing them once in a while is no big deal. But to be frank, going by the traffic here am too scared to use my baleno. To make matters worse its black. A fresh scratch makes an appearance after every city ride. Regards,

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 9th July 2010 at 22:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks