Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 15:04   #1276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Can't imagine driving without OVRMs atleast in cities. On highways, yes - can manage with RVM since the distance between cars are more. But in cities, difficult. There are many times I have had to check if my boot has cleared the obstacle, to check how close the passing car is in a narrow lane or to check if I can change lane, safely. Cannot imagine doing without OVRM in such cases.
+1 to that. Most often in cities, the car moving infront of you can stop for taking a turn and wait there indefinitely for a signal or the other side to clear. Its an art by itself to get into the next lane in such situations and I cannot even dream of doing it without ORVMs.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:06   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Stay in bangalore for a week ..you will find hundreds of bad drivers !!!
Old 29th July 2010, 15:40   #1278
BHPian

In my opinion, there are 3 things that you cannot avoid once you are used to it.
Undershots, Helmet and ORVMs! :-)

Hope I havent crossed the limit!
Old 29th July 2010, 15:46   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Stay in bangalore for a week ..you will find hundreds of bad drivers !!!
+1 to that speedsatya.
It's horrible in Bangalore, especially rickshaw guys. I found Bombay rickies far better.
Bikers are the other dangerous species. They can be (atleast in Bangalore) compared to cockroaches. Dunno where they come from when signal turns from red to green.

And this strange riding habit ceases when they graduate to a car and start giving gaalis about bikers

One thing I couldn't agree was the general rant about L drivers in crap cars. We all started with L and mostly in crap cars,didn't we?
Old 29th July 2010, 16:06   #1280
BHPian

I feel naked without seat-belt.
I feel blind without RVMs.

I use all the 4 RVMs on my Bolero. The one on the rear door is great for parking. It shows the rear bumper and one of the corners.
The left door mirror is angled slightly down so that i can park very very close to the kerb.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 29th July 2010 at 16:08.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:45   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Awesome! Only if a lot of people felt the same a lot of lives could be saved!
Old 29th July 2010, 16:50   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Wow. I am feeling tempted to use this as my signature
Old 29th July 2010, 17:31   #1283
BHPian

not sure if these points have already been covered, but what really gets my goat is
1) People driving with their lights on high beam, when it is not required / blinds the oncoming traffic
2) People talking on the phone while driving
3) People not giving way when you flash your light / honk
4) People using the horn unnecessarily
5) People overtaking from the left side
6) People driving too close from behind (litterally in my butt crack)
Old 30th July 2010, 00:55   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

People who do not change their driving style in wet weather --- particularly those who usually drive too close anyway.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:58   #1285
BHPian

This morning in Koramangala junction (near Wipro), I was waiting for the green signal to turn left. An Omni behind me honked and gestured to move. I gestured back that I will not move until the signal turns - and I made him wait. He was going on making gestures but I didn't care.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:03   #1286
Senior - BHPian

On my way to office, at the signal in front of TIDEL Park, I saw a lawyer in a santro honking endlessly at a Tambaram bound MTC vestibule Bus that was taking in pax from the bus stop. Reason? He was on the left most lane, squeezing himself between the kerb and the vehicles that were waiting to go straight, and this MTC bus was on the left most lane, "blocking his way" - he wanted to go straight!!! I would rate this as unruly behaviour. Oh and forgot to mention that he had his left ORVM closed
Old 30th July 2010, 09:20   #1287
Senior - BHPian

^^ Suddenly Chennai seems to be full of Lawyers. I see those stickers on almost every type of vehicle, from Fortuner to a M800. Man, are these stickers available in all Petty Kadais free with Cigarettes or what?
And it looks like cars with these stickers have the 'right of way' among all other vehicles on the road, regardless of which 'lane' he is! Incredible.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:42   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
People who do not change their driving style in wet weather --- particularly those who usually drive too close anyway.
There is this red Indigo (KA 03MK 7514) that i often see in the mornings on my way to work. Driven by a chauffeur, owner at the back, reading paper. The driver rides on your tail continuously until you give way, be it sunny days or grey skies. Then he does the same to the next car.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:17   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
There is this red Indigo (KA 03MK 7514) that i often see in the mornings on my way to work. Driven by a chauffeur, owner at the back, reading paper. The driver rides on your tail continuously until you give way, be it sunny days or grey skies. Then he does the same to the next car.
I had a similar experience with a Travera Cab in Bharuch (Guj) while travelling to Surat. I was in the front seat and the driver would tail the vehicle in front almost touching the bumper (from a Trailer to a 2 wheeler) horn blaring until it gave way. When I asked, "what if he brakes suddenly", prompt reply was, "I also have brakes" . He also claimed to cover Bharuch to Dwarka (appx 650 Kms) in 7 Hrs with one break.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:21   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
This morning in Koramangala junction (near Wipro), I was waiting for the green signal to turn left. An Omni behind me honked and gestured to move. I gestured back that I will not move until the signal turns - and I made him wait. He was going on making gestures but I didn't care.
hehe... i did that to a BMTC once. fortunately he didn't run me over

some people have a habit of nudging you when you don't move!

Most Viewed