Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 12:11   #1291
Senior - BHPian

This happened 2 days back in hiranandani, powai.

this is basically a 4 lane road & i hope the shoddy diagram below illustrates what i mean to say. the 2 small red squares on the top indicate a signal (traffic police controlled) & all the cars on the two lanes had lined up till the red line below it.

the blue box below is my car & the green box on the left lane is a silver passat. as you can see, there is a road to the left & the vehicles coming from the opposite direction need to turn right as shown by the curved black arrow. when i saw the lineup of cars ahead, i stopped my car at point A to allow free movement of the cars turning right from the opposite direction. then comes this passat guy, momentarily stops besides my car. i see a guy, probably in his mid 30s driving the car & he was clearly not a chauffer. even after seeing that there are cars ahead & i have stopped there for a reason, he moves ahead & stops his cars in position 2. now he has jammed the intersection & cars coming from the opposite direction cant turn right! as this is mumbai, some impatient drivers on the opposite lane, who want to turn right, race ahead & park their cars on both the lanes thus blocking the entire road. traffic comes to a standstill for a good 5 mins. since i had left space in front of my car, other cars from the opp side squeeze in front of my car thereby blocking my way too. when the traffic on my lane starts moving, the cars on my left starts inching forward not allowing the blocked cars of the opp lane to move. so i am stuck for another good 5 mins!

So, in all i wasted my time in the middle of the road & the passat guy must have reached home, had dinner & slept!

i dont call such guys "bad drivers", i call them "foolish drivers"- those who have the money to buy expensive cars but no sense to drive them.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-123.jpg  

Old 30th July 2010, 12:23   #1292
BHPian

This incident was a true story happened with my colleague: he was just shifted from Mumbai to Pune because of job change. He was riding his TVS and stopped at Red light. Suddenly he was hit by an auto rikshaw following him. his rear no. plate broken and mud flap damaged. Then rikshaw driver started arguing with him saying " I was not knowing that you are going to stop on red light"
This is common driving etiquette of auto drivers in pune.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:30   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
This happened 2 days back in hiranandani, powai.
This is so common in Bangalore; but atleast there is a relief in the fact that, in Bangalore, it is the autorickshaw and the cab guys who do it.

And I can understand your feeling raj_5004. I have gone through the same thing many a times because I am a jerk who believes in sticking to the lane and the right to yield.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:54   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
This morning in Koramangala junction (near Wipro), I was waiting for the green signal to turn left. An Omni behind me honked and gestured to move. I gestured back that I will not move until the signal turns - and I made him wait. He was going on making gestures but I didn't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
hehe... i did that to a BMTC once. fortunately he didn't run me over

some people have a habit of nudging you when you don't move!
Maybe in his view, I am a 'Bad Driver' !!!
Old 30th July 2010, 14:57   #1295
BHPian

Seriously there are thousands of pathetic drivers on road, that too just since few yrs, thanks to the software boom and MNC. People started getting money for doing nothing and had to put it to use and they went ahead and started buying cars without even knowing how to drive a car. Obviously they are the worst of the drivers learning on roads on daily basis. Stay away from young guys on brand new cars. Basically its the experience which makes someone a bad or good driver. They have no other place but the road to learn. EVERYONE HAS GOT A FIRST TIME.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:23   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hehe... i did that to a BMTC once. fortunately he didn't run me over

some people have a habit of nudging you when you don't move!
A colleague of mine did that to an MTC bus a few months back. But unfortunately he was knocked down. His bike's (bajaj CT100) muffler was damaged, and he got a burn on his right calf, apart from some not-so-serious bruises on his arms. He had a helmet on and that saved his life. Fortunately there was a traffic patrol unit parked at the other side of the signal who promptly stopped the bus and according to my friend, "treated" the driver for his (driver's) color-blindness.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:57   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
I have gone through the same thing many a times because I am a jerk who believes in sticking to the lane and the right to yield.
+1 to that. somehow i feel one of these days i'm gonna get whacked for following traffic rules!

i don't know if its just me or people are becoming bolder by the day in breaking traffic rules! i see this everywhere! driving in the opposite direction on one-ways; jumping red light; continue passing even after the signal has gone red (very frequent on OMR); drive on the wrong side of the road; yell and scream (sometimes beat up) at others for their own faults! i could go on. it is truly a pathetic state of affairs and i find it very disheartening. specially when i see youngsters doing it - the so called future of our nation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmechanic View Post
Then rikshaw driver started arguing with him saying " I was not knowing that you are going to stop on red light"
wow! that's a new one! how in hell did he get his drivers license?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 30th July 2010 at 16:01.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:21   #1298
Team-BHP Support

I had a rather forgettable incident a few days back.

The clock read 9:30 am and I was on my way to Jayanagar from Indiranagar. Right in front of the Double Road/Shantinagar Bus Stop, I was coasting to a halt when the green light had turned orange. From no where, this RX 100 whizzed past me, not before swapping paint jobs with my car!

The rider must have thought that I'd go past the orange light like everyone else would and wasn't prepared for it.

After the signal had turned green, I trundled to the side of the road, got out and inspected the scratch. I was fuming!
Old 31st July 2010, 08:30   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Most of these "turkey" drivers we see here will have the following characteristics.
  • Very uncomfortable in using A/c
  • Never use rear view mirrors, puts his head, full right hand and shoulder out of the window to take reverse or even for u-turns
  • Windows are always down irrespective of rain, smoke, pollution, heat, cold etc, sometimes even the rear windows
  • Shows only hand signals, if at all
  • Does not operate/believe in turn signal lights
  • However they may use the warning/hazard lights to indicate straight direction while doing 100+ kmph
  • Opens driver's door every 5 minutes to spit pan
  • Gets out of car at every junction to inspect tyres, or clean windscreen...
...goes on...
It is fully correct and this is what I also meant.

One set of bad drivers are those who do not operate turn indicators for Left or Right turns but would certainly operate the hazard warning for proceeding straight.

Another set consists of blokes who would be in the right extreme lane at signals when they want to go straight and at extreme left or middle lane to turn right. When the signal turn Green and then they would switch on their indicators and turn into the next lane blocking others and in the meele no one would be able to move forward before the signal turns Red.

Last edited by rajeev k : 31st July 2010 at 08:34.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:03   #1300
Senior - BHPian

what if the law enforcers become the law breakers! this picture was taken at the NGEF signal. this cop has crossed the stop line and also the zebra crossing. not to mention - no helmet!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0765.jpg

saw this at Metro (Yeshwantpur) last evening as soon as i got off the car. there was no space for parking, so this person just left it behind the Indica, blocking half the path for cars!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0768.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 2nd August 2010 at 15:04.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:30   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i don't know if its just me or people are becoming bolder by the day in breaking traffic rules! i see this everywhere! driving in the opposite direction on one-ways; jumping red light; continue passing even after the signal has gone red (very frequent on OMR); drive on the wrong side of the road; yell and scream (sometimes beat up) at others for their own faults! i could go on. it is truly a pathetic state of affairs and i find it very disheartening. specially when i see youngsters doing it - the so called future of our nation...
Today morning, i was driving down Bannerghatta road, about to go under the Jayadeva flyover, when i noticed vehicles coming down the up-ramp thats meant for traffic going right towards Silk Board. Why? There was a jam on the flyover so people decided to make a u turn and come down the flyover

I've also noticed people backing up from under Dairy circle flyover when there is a jam ahead.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:37   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Its been quite cloudy in Bangalore for the past so many days. Yet I see people driving cars wearing dark sunglasses. Whats up with that??
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:05   #1303
Senior - BHPian

You can see a lot of bad drivers on a potholed road in Thane. In fact you can see them by dozens trying to squeeze between vehicles which already are bobbing up and down trying to negotiate the pot holes. Some smart alecs think if they go faster they would not feel the potholes and end up going up & down so dangerously that they put others at risk of either rear ending or getting rear ended.

The other day saw a TMT bus driving so badly on one of those roads that the driver nearly knocked off a biker. The scene was such that one of the front tyres of the bus ended up in a big pothole and the bus was literally tilted at an angle so dangerous for other vehicles passing by. That the traffic was halted for the bus to move and make space. The worst part was the bus was loaded to the hilt putting so many lives at risk.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:34   #1304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Its been quite cloudy in Bangalore for the past so many days. Yet I see people driving cars wearing dark sunglasses. Whats up with that??
Fashion Accessory!

Well, not necessarily.... I would wear sunglasses for driving in daylight even in the London winter; I found it reduced fatigue. Oddly, in the tropical sunshine of Chennai I only do so on the brightest days.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:38   #1305
BHPian

Bad drivers are common on roads now a days, these people just don’t care about others and largely don’t have patience.. These set of drivers take turn without indicators, on one way’s driving on wrong direction, switching lanes without proper signaling etc. & the list goes on. What they don’t understand is, to an extend they are risking others life as well as their life each time they drive.

Cheers !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks