Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:55   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fashion Accessory!

Well, not necessarily.... I would wear sunglasses for driving in daylight even in the London winter; I found it reduced fatigue. Oddly, in the tropical sunshine of Chennai I only do so on the brightest days.
I wont rule out the accessorizing theory either. I've also seen people walking around in leather jackets in peak summers.

But back to sunglasses, why would one intentionally want to reduce visibility on an already cloudy day?
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:03   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the fact that you prioritise visibility. reducing it in the name of fashion is madness.

However, even on a cloudy day, good sunglasses can reduce glare and eye strain. Back in UK I used photo-chromic ones. Using sunglasses can also increase the perceived contrast, making it easier to see things against the background.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:37   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Using sunglasses can also increase the perceived contrast, making it easier to see things against the background.
Yes Sir. Some sun glasses act like neutral density filters to increase the perceived dynamic range. They say that a naked human eye has a dynamic range of 1: 1,000,000. Every bit helps to reduce the glare.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:41   #1309
Senior - BHPian

well, not all sunglasses are dark when viewed from the inside. for example, the Ray-Ban Predator series, which has G-15 glasses, look dark from outside, but are only slightly darker than normal eye vision when viewed through. this reduces the strain on the eye due to glare even on cloudy days.

however, i use sunglasses for their utilitarian value than as a fashion accessory
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:49   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Right, but how can there be any glare when there is no sun? You need a bright source of light to get glare. I can understand using sunglasses maybe when there is fresh white snow around, or its intermittently cloudy or there is only slight cloud cover. But in the current weather of Bangalore??
While it may still be sensible to wear them when you are outside the car because of UV protection and all that, sitting inside the car wearing them still puzzles me. Unless its purely from fashion point of view.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:01   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Right, but how can there be any glare when there is no sun? You need a bright source of light to get glare. I can understand using sunglasses maybe when there is fresh white snow around, or its intermittently cloudy or there is only slight cloud cover. But in the current weather of Bangalore??
While it may still be sensible to wear them when you are outside the car because of UV protection and all that, sitting inside the car wearing them still puzzles me. Unless its purely from fashion point of view.
i keep window down, so UV enter that way (just kidding)

well, frankly speaking i don't know. when i feeling a bit sensitive in the eyes, i use my glasses. for example, moving from a dark basement to brightness (even cloudy day can seem bright) i use glasses. when its really gloomy, i don't use my glasses.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:28   #1312
BHPian

Whenever I go for a long drive, I always use cooling glasses (black one) which I have tailor made to suit my power.

It reduces the eye strain very much particularly in the morning and afternoon driving. Sometimes when I drive without the glasses, I had to stop after two hours for a power nap.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:51   #1313
BHPian

I won't be the first one saying this but to spot the worst driver look in a stop n go traffic for someone who revs n accelerates really and then brakes harder in a 2inch space. The most common thing with 3 wheelers but spotting a car isn't difficult as well. Wastage of fuel and a high chance of a bad crash.
Also @raj who illustrated his exp. of bad driver with a quite good example. Simple things people don't understand, probably there should be yellow boxes painted on junctions in india as well. People may not follow it but thats for a start.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:40   #1314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
what if the law enforcers become the law breakers! this picture was taken at the NGEF signal. this cop has crossed the stop line and also the zebra crossing. not to mention - no helmet!
Attachment 397805
I'd spotted a Cop jumping a red-light on his 'Cheetah' last week. He jumped the signal at Vellarah Junction on Richmond Road, in front of a thousand on-lookers who were waiting for the signal to turn green. The audacity baffles me!
Old 4th August 2010, 20:09   #1315

Mumbai midnight dumper drivers

The worst drivers I have encountered are the dumper drivers on the western express highway post midnight zipping with absolute disregards for human life and especially no regard for the ever increasing 2 wheeler population.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:12   #1316
Senior - BHPian

yesterday - 4th block signal Koramangala (Wipro office). the signal is green for my side of traffic to move straight and right - but look who's moving instead! people were waiting for their signal until the Accent guy and the biker made the first move. then everybody else followed - inspite of that cop standing there!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_5686.jpg
Old 4th August 2010, 20:41   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Whenever I go for a long drive, I always use cooling glasses (black one) which I have tailor made to suit my power.

It reduces the eye strain very much particularly in the morning and afternoon driving. Sometimes when I drive without the glasses, I had to stop after two hours for a power nap.
I use contacts (unless prior knowledge of a long day out of house) and I find blower air causes me eye irritation. In such scenarios, I wear shades while driving during the day even if the sky is overcast during monsoons. For one, the polarization makes some drab landscape look good. Not to forget the 'cool' quotient.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:18   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then everybody else followed - inspite of that cop standing there!
Looks like upping the ante on bad behaviour. I see that the cop has raised his right hand signaling people to stop while his left hand is reaching for the whistle. Inspite of this, the people are moving forward, breaking the signal.

All sorts of people seem to be getting the license. DL should be cancelled for such violations.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:54   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
yesterday - 4th block signal Koramangala (Wipro office). the signal is green for my side of traffic to move straight and right - but look who's moving instead! people were waiting for their signal until the Accent guy and the biker made the first move. then everybody else followed - inspite of that cop standing there!
I live at raheja and people at this signal are most in-disciplined - people keep breaking it no matter which side you come from.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:18   #1320
Team-BHP Support

I was fuming when I saw this red A-Star parked right behind my car on RV Road last week.

All the cars were parked diagonally and this woman had decided that finding a parking slot was too tedious and decided to leave her car right behind mine! Fortunately, the car (brown Ritz on the left) parked beside mine could be taken out because the owner's chauffeur was around. It took me half an hour and lots of cajoling to get my car out.

I left a note on the windscreen expressing my displeasure and grudgingly refrained from using profanity.

EDIT: P.S. I peeped into the A-Star and found something rather interesting. There was a woman's purse on the left seat and a cushion on the driver's seat!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-31072010002.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-31072010003.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th August 2010 at 23:22.

Most Viewed