Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 14:26   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday driving back from work, I spotted two pizza delivery guys on those rickety moped-like scooters of theirs driving in parallel. My first thought was that they were doing the old "conversational drive" routine, but NO! On closer observation, turned out that one of them was actually shepherding the other with his foot firmly planted on the others vehicle. Apparently one of them had had a breakdown and the other was powering both of them
I think when bad driving habits meet Indian ingenuity, the results are truly appalling!
Old 14th October 2010, 14:40   #1367
Distinguished - BHPian

I have often seeing auto drivers doing this.
Old 17th October 2010, 14:43   #1368
Senior - BHPian

just about an hour ago saw a dark gray Nissan GT-R ripping on the Old Airport road (near Command Hospital). when it opened throttle it made a God awful sound (like metal scraping on asphalt) - I thought it had crashed! I hope the guy or gal) didn't kill anybody!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 17th October 2010 at 14:45.
Old 17th October 2010, 14:53   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days back, saw three dudes on a bike (without a helmet of course) zipping between traffic. Guess what was written under the bike's number plate? "U r next". I couldnt help but burst out laughing at the irony.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:24   #1370
BHPian

Whenever we go for long drive. My dad instruction was to give way to private omni bus and Scorpios. Undeclared Rule

Since I don't have space to park for Bus so I intend to buy one Scorpio to get that respect in highways.

Regards,
Camon
Old 18th October 2010, 23:32   #1371
Distinguished - BHPian

You'll find that there are more than a few of us that never heard that rule!
Old 19th October 2010, 08:39   #1372
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2010 at 09:19.
camon is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2010, 09:55   #1373
Distinguished - BHPian

There was this dude who once gave me and the missus a lift from South Bombay to Dadar while attending a seminar. The guy drives a huge Prado with all bells and whistles. He never stops for anything including a number of red lights. I commented that his driving style was bound to get him into trouble and he laughed it off saying, that's why I got this mothee gaadee (big vehicle). Apparently the cops recognise his "VIP number" and never stop him either. The episode left me sad and a little hopeless.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:06   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Last Sunday I was visitng Big Bazaar in Thane and while returning back to move towards G.B Road, I had to wait for the cops to give a go ahead signal since there is no signal at that junction. There was barely any space between my car and the end of the road but still a rickshaw was trying to squeeze in the space and in the process gave a scratch on my Fiesta. Got out of the car and pulled the rick guy out literally to show him the damage. Asked him to measure his rick and the space dimensions where he was trying to get in. Gave him a good earful, all this happening right under the traffic cops nose. Later the cops came and acted as if noting down the auto's no and god only knows what action must have been taken. I'm sure some palms must have been greased.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:16   #1375
BHPian

I dont know how many of you have observed this in bangalore. I wil try and explain as best as possible. i will post a picture definetly the next time i see this.
Auto in the front has no fuel
Another auto gives the push from behind by the driver sticking his foot out of the auto that is behind.
This happens with the auto in the front being on one side of the road and the auto from beind is to the other side as the driver of the auto that is behind needs to be able to put his foot out and push.
This tandem combination of autos takes the space of a scorpio , with the speed of a bulk cart and the road manners of a tractor.

Do not attempt to follow or overtake. Do so at your own peril. also you need to have loads of patience till they get out of the way

Is this peculiar behavior restriced to bangalore or it is an universal Auto phenomenon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Last Sunday I was visitng Big Bazaar in Thane and while returning back to move towards G.B Road, I had to wait for the cops to give a go ahead signal since there is no signal at that junction. There was barely any space between my car and the end of the road but still a rickshaw was trying to squeeze in the space and in the process gave a scratch on my Fiesta. Got out of the car and pulled the rick guy out literally to show him the damage. Asked him to measure his rick and the space dimensions where he was trying to get in. Gave him a good earful, all this happening right under the traffic cops nose. Later the cops came and acted as if noting down the auto's no and god only knows what action must have been taken. I'm sure some palms must have been greased.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:03   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
I dont know how many of you have observed this in bangalore. I wil try and explain as best as possible. i will post a picture definetly the next time i see this.
Auto in the front has no fuel
Another auto gives the push from behind by the driver sticking his foot out of the auto that is behind.
This happens with the auto in the front being on one side of the road and the auto from beind is to the other side as the driver of the auto that is behind needs to be able to put his foot out and push.
This tandem combination of autos takes the space of a scorpio , with the speed of a bulk cart and the road manners of a tractor.

Do not attempt to follow or overtake. Do so at your own peril. also you need to have loads of patience till they get out of the way

Is this peculiar behavior restriced to bangalore or it is an universal Auto phenomenon?
Nope - It's universal, have seen this in pune multiple times and variations of this. Pillion on a motorcycle pulling the auto, Motorcyle pulling an auto via rope.
I wonder if the autowala doing the pushing realizes the after effects if the front one brakes suddenly - A pulled muscle or worse a fracture and no one to blame but himself. Sure got brains in the place doing the pushing.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:04   #1377
BHPian

Let me add something from my experience:

a. In Ahmedabad, Auto fellows use their legs to show whether they are going to turn right or left. This "best" practice is also followed in Vadodara but to a lesser extent.
b. As right stated by Ajmat, in his 1st post, there are drivers who are literate but not educated - if you want to see what I mean, go to Hyderabad and try walking on the Kukatpally (between Malaysian Township and JNTU) road. If you are not careful, you could get banged up by a driver who is driving in the wrong direction. Does not matter that you are pedestrian or a motorist.
c. Pedestrians in Hyderabad are dead ducks. In fact, I came to the conclusion that the next evolution of homo sapiens will happen from kukatpally because to survive as a pedetrian in that place one needs to have more than 2 eyes and head that revolve 360 degrees.
d. Drivers who think that the other driver will be more careful - this guys is a patently bad driver.
e. Indore - drivers especially the 2 wheeler ones, you can see many of them probably having neck sprains. But on a closer look, it is not neck sprain but these jokers on wheels are talking away to glory on their cells.
f. In fact between Indore and Hyderabad in terms of traffic sense, Indore has positively bad drivers but Hyderabad has positively dangerous drivers.
g. Drivers who overtake from left and try to squeeze in making lives miserable for others. My Santro was hit by a female motorcycle driver who was overtaking me from left and I turned left to park my car just opposite my office. My driving speed: About 5 kms/hr at that time.
h. 2 wheeler drivers who weave in and weave out of traffice - they are positive nuisance. They should be fined very heavily.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:50   #1378
BHPian

Most of the circles in Bangalore gets jammed for one small mistake made by a car, bike or an auto. Guess why , we don’t follow one small RTO rules very important rule. Give way to traffic on the right hand side first. All these drivers can become good drivers if rules are followed a little bit.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:59   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Check out this dude.
Right after the Bannerghatta Road - ORR intersection, there is a bus stop (no surprises there). This dude was behind a bus, and surprise surprise, talking on the cellphone. No, no bluetooth, no hands free. Good old fashioned phone in one hand and steering in other.

Anyway, i was in the right most lane. As the bus stopped, this dude tried to squeeze in. Normally, a bus and two cars can go side by side. But his luck ran out and the bus started moving into his lane. Since i had already half crossed him, this fellow had to brake. I guess he did not like that and started tailgating me! I had to pull over to the side of the road to give him a piece of my mind. But i dont think he had the intelligence to accept it.

He kinda wanted to get physical, but i didn't want manslaughter charges on my hands.

So i just took this pic, in order to warn others and drove off.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo.jpg
Old 26th October 2010, 11:08   #1380
BHPian

amitoj, never stop mate. These fools are not worth it. They drive like madmen and well, you really can't reason with madmen so don't bother stopping. I used to earlier but then I figured there is no point to it except running the risk of getting physical. Right now, if someone wants to tailgate me, I let them be my guest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks