Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 14:44   #1501
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No pouncing. I hope you would have had the same intention only towards a male driver, and I don't see any reason not to make your feelings plain, and perhaps give some education to a female one.

If she got freaked out because she saw two guys in a big car chasing her, I can't say anything other than she deserved to be freaked out. Let's hope that she saw her own fault, simply because, if she does that sort of thing again, she may not even live to get freaked out.

If she wasn't freaked out, then she was behaving like a thug, and a female thug is no better than a male one.
I really hate this freaks. It is very common in Bangalore. Especialy the two wheeler guys and the small hatchback cars with there music system screaming making the whole road hear to what they are listening.

Indeed i have seen many female drivers with cigars, driving very rashly.

These people are creating a bad driving environment for themselves as well for others.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:27   #1502
BHPian

2 days back i got the opportunity to meet a 19 Yr (he told me) old MORON driving a WagonR dangerously zipping and zig-zagging in heavy traffic. He even tried to overtake me on a blind left turn almost ploughing into on-coming traffic (shows what an IDIOT he is). When he stopped at the signal, i went upto him and screamed my heart out. Gave him a piece of my mind. Told him, how his ABS / Airbags (if ever he had) are there to save him and NOT the people he might ram into.

...and with that i blew my new year resolution not to scream at road-morons.

:(

Last edited by Torqy : 4th January 2011 at 16:28. Reason: spelling
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 16:40   #1503
Senior - BHPian

^^^ You think that would ever go into his head? I even doubt if such people have anything inside their skull, maybe some bio waste materials. Stick to your resolution whatever the situation be. At least your adrenaline levels would remain lower.

Peace
Old 7th January 2011, 16:49   #1504
BHPian

I always stay away from mobike drivers over the age of 45-50 yrs. They drive in the middle of road at the top speed of at max. 30 with shaky hands when any cars pass by them and it feels like they still live in the past when there were more roads then vehicle.
Good thing you will always find them wearing a helmet but worse it prevents them from listening to anything behind them or feel how close the other vehicle is.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:59   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Good thing you will always find them wearing a helmet but worse it prevents them from listening to anything behind them or feel how close the other vehicle is.
Yes i agree 100% on this point. If you are in a hurry and keep honking be assured they will not take a look behind and reciprocate. the worst part is they just do not care!
Old 7th January 2011, 18:23   #1506
BHPian

Another thing I hate is drivers of cars using hand indicators instead of using the car's indicator lights . Damn I have seen this in big fancy cars too. They just just put out their and cut the lane without looking behind to see if a car is coming from behind or not.. this seems to be a continuation of the point: both side mirrors being folded.

Dippy

I heard in Surat and some other cities in Gujarat, Auto drivers use their legs (stick it out in the air) as an indicator !!! Anybody here driven in Surat who can confirm this ?
Old 8th January 2011, 09:45   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
I heard in Surat and some other cities in Gujarat, Auto drivers use their legs (stick it out in the air) as an indicator !!! Anybody here driven in Surat who can confirm this ?
No idea about Surat, but the driver of the auto by which I traveled from RK Puram to New Delhi Railway station a decade ago did this at every turn! Guess he was ahead of his time!
Old 8th January 2011, 11:14   #1508
BHPian

Somewhere on the thread I read about how easy it is to locate a good driver than to find a bad driver, since most of them are idiots on the wheels... One incident, I travel by BEST bus to my office at Nariman point, Mumbai. On the way there is this big signal at Flora fountain.

One morning on the way to office, I am normally on the top deck of the double decker and at the window watching the action outside. At the signal, which is usually a big one, on the adjacent lane I see this ANHC standing way behind the other vehicles at the signal. I gathered there might be some problem with his car.

On close notice I realised the good fellow was waiting for the signal behind the stop line, all alone. Most of the other 15 odd vehicles were way ahead of the zebra crossing, leave alone the stop line. I really appreciate the driver for his commitment.

Another instance I regularly see and loath is the government vehicles with red light flashing on the top have the drivers and front passengers without seat belts. One of the news papers had flashed one of the cabinet minister of the state without seat belts and justifying his actions on press. Very encouraging!!

drive safe!!
Kalesh
Old 8th January 2011, 13:41   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Bad drivers are dime a dozen!

In Trivandrum, there is a small weird junction with no signal or cops. [Spencer Junction] Vehicles are not supposed to cross the junction.

I was happily driving at 70KMPH in my swift, a bus passed me on the opposite lane and immediately after the bus passed two bikers crossed that road!

My view was blocked because of the bus and am sure the two dudes had no idea of my oncoming car as well.

One guy sped past my car to safety but the other on a pink scooty just froze bang on the middle of the road.

I could not swerve to the right as oncoming traffic was bad and could not swerve to the left as people were waiting to cross that road.

I only had an option to stamp on my brakes and curse the fact that i did not opt for ABS and pray the car stops.

Thankfully it did. Just a few cms away from him. I could actually see him breathing out after i stopped. Wanted to give him a piece of mind but the pedestrians waiting to cross all ganged up and gave him some sound advice.

I just hope he learnt from that experience and gets on to becoming a safer driver!

Me? Am glad that i got 205s on my swift \m/
Old 8th January 2011, 14:04   #1510

I hate those stupids who turn without any indicators at all or indicating at the very moment of turning.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:49   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was happily driving at 70KMPH in my swift ...
When you say, "in Trivandrum" you mean in the city? Where the speed limit would be what? Just because other people are supposed to stop, they will?

Near misses have lessons for everyone involved.

Not that I have any sympathy at all for bikers who expect other road users to take responsibility for keeping them alive.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th January 2011 at 22:51.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:19   #1512
Senior - BHPian

^ of course they have. and my earlier post should have mentioned the fact that i learned my lesson as well
Old 9th January 2011, 22:50   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for responding with a good answer! We never stop learning.

Only tonight, something made me think, "I'm concentrating on that guy now; what if something comes from the other side?"

Sometimes it really seems we need to be superhuman to drive!
Old 11th January 2011, 14:17   #1514
BHPian

In Bangalore i perfer to stay away from Old age riders, Water tankers, Auto's and last but not the least Cab drivers except for old age riders all of the above act like they are on an F1 track and drive crazily without thinking about others.
Old 12th January 2011, 19:37   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Just my two cents. Not all Old age riders are bad. Most are scared so ride on the extreme left of the lane. Yes, there are a few super intelligent (young and old) who ride on any lane - as they own the lanes, talk on the cell phones, check messages etc.

+1 about auto drivers and water tankers.

It makes sense to use only one ORVM as chances of it being knocked by 2w riders trying to squeeze in to get to the "front" are many. Be it a small car like i10 or bigger cars. I believe the center RV mirror and one on the right are good enough to negotiate safely through traffic. And I believe all of the above holds good for any big city be it Bangalore, chennai, hyd, delhi, mumbai, pune etc.

My experience today, I was driving on the St. Johns service lane at around 6 pm. and a "VIP" on 2 Wheels wants to check his text msg. So helmet on, still riding, flips out his phone and is reading the message through sun glasses. and I honk (1 short honk) and he glares at me as I just committed felony.

Earlier - at the little circle near Swagath Garuda, a man in Swift, dark windows rolled up decides to check on directions on the phone. talking on the phone, has plonked himself right in the middle of traffic creating a whirlpool of a jam and doesn't seem to care for the world. I salute him! He was LEAST concerned about the mess he has created.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks