Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2011, 18:03   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even I felt ridiculous, in the night, on the Chennai Airport road, being the only one to stop at a red signal. Others were passing at 60kph-plus. Sitting there was just plain dangerous!
When I had to do that stretch once, I stopped at all signals when they were red, and I turned on the hazard lights until the lights turned green - I was expecting these morons at jumping red signals at 60kmph+. Not that I felt very safe in that way, but the one coming behind me at those speeds would notice better that I've halted.

Last edited by silversteed : 17th February 2011 at 18:04.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:06   #1547
BHPian

While walking home yesterday, an indicab wanted to stop suddenly and without any indicator or horn, he just came too close to me and stopped as if he wanted to prove a point. I was alert and just missed it, i was walking on the extreme right of the road (while walking use opposite side) and the car guy was acting smart. I walked over and thumped his chest twice smiling, i knew it hurt him and since i was smiling and doing this, he knew the intention (i was sarcastic) and just said "bidi sir" (leave it sir)

And the real reason why he did such nasty stuff was because the passenger in the cab and he had a fight and he just wanted to show his frustration by stopping recklessly

How's that ? Stupid cabbie does not realize that if something happened to me and left alive, he would regret all his life for that incident !

Well i know of a cabbie back home in trivandrum who had the habit of driving recklessly now regretting every day because he made one pedestrian handicapped and now facing the music !
Old 18th February 2011, 20:23   #1548
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bad driver spotted! Anyone can end up with a broken ORVM. This dude, instead of getting a new one, spends all that time & effort in neatly wrapping the broken ORVM in cloth (presumably to prevent an electrical problem). Wasted effort man, seriously.

Sorry about the pic quality. Was facing the bright morning sun:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-18022011599.jpg
Old 18th February 2011, 20:47   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's be generous!

He might have just done it, and wanted to protect paint work from damage.

On the other hand, probably not
Old 18th February 2011, 21:10   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry about the pic quality. Was facing the bright morning sun:
No worries, I spot one like this almost every day! Sometimes it's the left one, sometimes the right one. I have even seen a couple of cars where the mirror is actually 'dangling'. Go figure!

Newbies will also likely frustrate all the others by their lack of timing in executing the different maneuvres, for e.g. they are always slow in picking up gaps in traffic or overtaking or lane cutting.

Old 18th February 2011, 22:46   #1551
LNK
BHPian

Quote:
Bad driver spotted! Anyone can end up with a broken ORVM. This dude, instead of getting a new one, spends all that time & effort in neatly wrapping the broken ORVM in cloth (presumably to prevent an electrical problem). Wasted effort man, seriously.
Well, giving him the benefit of doubt, he was probably going to get it fixed.. maybe a few hours after the pic was taken. Not necessarily a bad driver, no?
Old 18th February 2011, 23:20   #1552
Team-BHP Support

I believe that the way a person parks his/her car is a reflection of their driving habits and etiquette.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-16012011066.jpg

Now this one just takes the cake.

Not only has he parked it wrongly, he has parked it right in front of a 'no-parking' board, on St. Marks Road, near Koshys. He might have stopped to get himself a paan or maybe light-up, but that's no excuse to park your car haphazardly. Because of this, other road users found it hard to negotiate the two-lane two-way road.

Even the Santro in the picture was parked pretty badly. The other cars on the road were parked quite well though.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-08022011078.jpg

This man seemed to be in quite a hurry, until he got out of the car. After lighting up, he sauntered back to his car, almost proud of the way he had parked it.
Old 19th February 2011, 01:59   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to have a friend in UK who parked like this. We used to say that she didn't park, but just left the car somewhere!

(ok, and we were a bit jealous that Daddy had given her a Golf GTI <Blush>)
Old 20th February 2011, 10:21   #1554
BHPian

Some years back, you would have hardly any drivers driving in the wrong direction; yesterday on my trip from South Mumbai to Andheri East in my two wheeler I noticed seven of them and three of them in Dharavi area alone; though told two of them mildly of their wrongdoing, they still continued after I had gone ahead which I could see from my mirror.

They are a grave danger not only for themselves but also for other fellow road users including pedestrians; the policewalla turns a blind eye.

Just travel from Crawford market to JJ under the bridge; you can catch at least 100 traffic offenders of all types and at every junction you have police but nothing is being done.
Old 20th February 2011, 13:06   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that's pretty cheap of the person considering the fact that it is a Corolla and not a M800!! i've seen people changing their ORVM when broken even on a M800 for that matter!
Old 20th February 2011, 18:42   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've seen people changing their ORVM when broken even on a M800 for that matter!
I'm one

Drove our M800 all the way on a trip to Guruvayoor and back, from Palakkad.

I had the video of the drifting bus in my mind, so whenever I saw a private bus in the RVM, I would let them pass or if they stop to pick up or drop pax, I'd speed away.

Sorry to say this, but drivers from other states don't seem adjust to the relatively narrow two-laned roads in Kerala. So many TN and AP registered Taveras, Sumos, Qualises that hog the road as though they own it, and also honk like crazy even when they see that I'm trailing a heavy truck in front, due to oncoming traffic. Not just me, any 800, Alto, Zen, Estilo, WagonR for that matter. Forgot to add the case of a nut in an Indicab - this guy tried to squeeze through the left side when I was returning to my lane after a failed overtake attempt. Thankfully, he saw a large pothole and braked hard, letting me return to my lane without any scratches.
Old 21st February 2011, 01:18   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say this, but drivers from other states don't seem adjust to the relatively narrow two-laned roads in Kerala. So many TN and AP registered Taveras, Sumos, Qualises that hog the road as though they own it
They don't need to adjust: they drive that way wherever they are!
Old 21st February 2011, 10:50   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Thad sir, there's a difference. Once you cross the border between KL and TN, the roads are wider, so they have the luxury of driving on their lane with 2-3 feet of free space on either side of the vehicle. I'm talking of well paved 2-lane highways. When they try to implement this gap on NH-47 inside KL, they are left with two options - stay 2-3 feet away from the center line and go dangerously close or onto the edge of the road, or stay 2-3 feet away from the edge of the road and drive with their RHS wheels on or just inches away from the center line. Most often the latter prevails. Either way, they won't let you overtake even if they are slow.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:43   #1559
Distinguished - BHPian

Very annoying!

About bad SUV driving, in particular: apart from the usual taxi and flag-on-the-bonnet types, I've noticed some dreadfully aggressive driving from Ford Endeavour drivers.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:32   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
bad drivers, eh? do these qualify?

1. & 2. completely choking both sides of the road to be the first to go at a railway cross new Old Madras Road.

3. is this America? take a look how long the divider is and this guy came all that distance on the wrong side and was sneering at us for not giving him way! this epidemic (driving on the wrong side) has been initiated by our own traffic police who let people come on to the right side to ease the traffic at junctions. but now, cop or not, everybody (even women!) drives on the wrong side and think its their right to do it!

4. great parking skills. even though there wasn't any other car on the right of the swift, he chose to park it diagonally (yep, that's Getz is mine ).
IronH4WK,

The issue in pic #3 is something I encounter daily. I guess this is a stretch between Charles Campbell Road and OMR adjacenet to Madras Sappers. I block the way for such 2 wheeler but have been abused a lot for doing that

I drive through this maze every day and keep cursing myself for driving to work everyday..

Hope they understand their ignorance and realization dawns upon them..

Cheers

BTW : I work in OMR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks