Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 14:44   #1561
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

On Pune roads with parking allowed near the curb, I always find it annoying when 2 wheelers are parked such that space on either side is inadequate for a 4-wheeler to park. Just to save those precious 5 seconds, they will park parallel to the curb as well rather than perpendicular.

Another peeve is when a biker would park his ride between two parked cars. You would have left that space to manoeuvre yourself into traffic. A couple of times, I had to take the bike out, take the car out and then the bike goes back in!

A couple of days back during my commute back home, saw a Corolla sporting tbhp stickers being driven with both orvms folded. This was somewhere near Phase 1 HJW.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:46   #1562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Some years back, you would have hardly any drivers driving in the wrong direction; yesterday on my trip from South Mumbai to Andheri East in my two wheeler I noticed seven of them and three of them in Dharavi area alone; though told two of them mildly of their wrongdoing, they still continued after I had gone ahead which I could see from my mirror.

They are a grave danger not only for themselves but also for other fellow road users including pedestrians; the policewalla turns a blind eye.
I agree completely. This maddening disease of wrong-side driving, which I first observed in Bangalore after moving there from Mumbai around the turn of the millennium and which is an ACCEPTED mode of driving in Pune (cops not only turn a blind eye, I have seen them waving them and stopping (legal) oncoming traffic to let them go! ) has finally found its way to the one place I had never expected it to. Driving in Mumbai the occasional weekend I can't help but notice the bikes, autos and even cars & jeeps that cut across brazenly and use the wrong side of the road. It's disgraceful.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:03   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
IronH4WK,

The issue in pic #3 is something I encounter daily. I guess this is a stretch between Charles Campbell Road and OMR adjacenet to Madras Sappers. I block the way for such 2 wheeler but have been abused a lot for doing that

I drive through this maze every day and keep cursing myself for driving to work everyday..

Hope they understand their ignorance and realization dawns upon them..
wow! that was a very old post mate (pg. 56)! you've lot to catch up

yes, wrong-side driving has become a menace in Bangalore (much like the stray dog thingy) and if a citizen tries to stop it, he either gets abused or belted! the police don't do anything about it. they would only by bothered if there was a monetary compensation involved for them. makes my blood boil
Old 21st February 2011, 15:30   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
wow! that was a very old post mate (pg. 56)! you've lot to catch up

yes, wrong-side driving has become a menace in Bangalore (much like the stray dog thingy) and if a citizen tries to stop it, he either gets abused or belted! the police don't do anything about it. they would only by bothered if there was a monetary compensation involved for them. makes my blood boil
Yep a lot to catch up mate. Just didn't have the time..

Cops are just not empowered enough and hence they prefer to take the back seat and wait till monetary benefits are visible or possible.
Old 21st February 2011, 22:24   #1565
Team-BHP Support

Whats with two-wheeler riders? Most seem to plug in the head-phone to listen to music and answer calls. No wonder they can't hear the horn.

Do I need to add, they don't wear a lid and don't have RVM's?
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:53   #1566
Senior - BHPian

OT:

not from our own shores, but something worth watching

how to make a 3-point turn: The worst 3-point turn ever op MSN Video

and most people would have seen people like this guy on our own roads (of course on smaller bikes): Insane Motorcycle Rider op MSN Video

Last edited by IronH4WK : 22nd February 2011 at 19:57.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:13   #1567
BHPian

I hate bikers who park their bikes in the place meant for 4 wheelers and on top of that they park right in the middle of a free space so a precious space is wasted.

I taught a guy a good lesson regarding the same, I boxed the bike between two cars, the foothpath and my car such that he is right in the middle and cannot go anywhere. I was there a few feet away from my car at all times so that when the guy comes, he should not play any mischief's with my ride. And exactly after 45 minutes that I made the owner wait, I calmly went and told him to learn to park in the proper place. I loved the expression on the guy's face when he realized that the owner of the car was standing a few feet from him all this time.
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:45   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
I hate bikers who park their bikes in the place meant for 4 wheelers and on top of that they park right in the middle of a free space so a precious space is wasted.
I have six apartments in the building where I live, with only one garage (mine). On many occasions I have found that someone visiting someone in our own building has parked his bike right in front of my garage. Unable even to open the gate of my garage after returning from my office, I have to find out first in whose flat has the biker entered, so that I may request him to park elsewhere.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Old 24th February 2011, 19:19   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I have six apartments in the building where I live, with only one garage (mine). On many occasions I have found that someone visiting someone in our own building has parked his bike right in front of my garage.
Here's a picture of what the above scenario looks like. Believe me, when i say that there was no space at the front or the back for me to back up of go front even though there were tons of space on either side of my car. The idiot choose to park his bike right up the back of my Swifty and there was one idiot up front as well. He went to the extent of parking his bike in front of the car even though there was so much space . A picture speaks a thousan words!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-21022011141.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 25th February 2011 at 12:27. Reason: fixing quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:26   #1570
Distinguished - BHPian

You must understand the poor man's feelings for his bike. He knows how terribly lonely it gets if it is not right up close to another vehicle at all times!
Old 24th February 2011, 20:59   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You must understand the poor man's feelings for his bike. He knows how terribly lonely it gets if it is not right up close to another vehicle at all times!

@prats, such idiots are everywhere. Even in office parking lots, they do not have concern for others and park on the side stand taking the space of 2 vehicles.

In your case, i think you just had to push and pull the bike till it was clear off the back of your car.
Old 24th February 2011, 21:24   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In your case, i think you just had to push and pull the bike till it was clear off the back of your car.
I hate being in a position where I have to handle a bike. Don't laugh, but I simply don't know how! I have never been a 2-wheeler person. I am just afraid the thing will fall over, maybe on top of me, and I won't be able to pick it up again.

The last time someone did this to me with a scooter, it had all sorts of locks and, even with help, was really hard to shift. That was in London, too, not India. But hey, it was next-door to Archway Murugan temple
Old 24th February 2011, 23:20   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
@prats, such idiots are everywhere. Even in office parking lots, they do not have concern for others and park on the side stand taking the space of 2 vehicles.
not only that! they twist and turn your RVM/ORVM to style their hair! i've even seen girls do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I hate being in a position where I have to handle a bike. Don't laugh, but I simply don't know how! I have never been a 2-wheeler person. I am just afraid the thing will fall over, maybe on top of me, and I won't be able to pick it up again.
OT:

muhahahaha! that's it, i'll stop now! man, are you a rib-tickler or what!!

btw, i JUST figured your handle!! and i used to think "Thad" was your first name!! next time i'm in Chennai, i would defenitely wanna meet you!
Old 25th February 2011, 04:05   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i JUST figured your handle!!

I'm sure I've explained it! Anyway, it came to me, as you will now understand, in mridangam class. Suddenly struck me that it sounded just like an American name! It was a while, though, before I decided that a modicum of anonymity on the net was no bad thing, and found it waiting, ready for use.

Tha , Dhi , Gi Na Thom? Ta!

And ... this is the first place I've ever been where the guys are more obsessive about hair checking than the girls

For all my feminism (because of it even) I do get irritated when London Ladies do that famous sequence that is something like what every driving school teaches...

Mirror, Check Lipstick, Manoeuvre!

You would not have caught my late mum using the RVM for anything other than driving.

Last edited by Dippy : 25th February 2011 at 12:25. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
Old 25th February 2011, 21:36   #1575
Senior - BHPian

I can teach a biker a lesson on "Do not park behind a 4 wheeler" if he parks behind my Jeep. My Jeep does have IRVM which always tends to show the front seat - no matter how much I set to show me the rear.

Has ORVM's just for the sake of it - It can never seat itself right!

And try getting away with - I could not see saaar!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks