Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 15:46   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
There is a steep road near where I stay, which is a one-way in the downward direction. There is an exit on Bombay Bangalore bypass (NH4) which connects with this one-way. For folks familiar with Pune - I am describing the Chandni Chowk chaotic interchange.

Some time ago, I was driving down in the Estilo, when a bus driver comes up the wrong way to join the NH4. Confrontation! Situation was alike David-Goliath but he was in a hurry and I had all the time. Status Quo for about 5 minutes. He couldn't go (his) right due to free flowing traffic and I was in no mind to budge. Traffic behind me had already started piling up. Left with no choice, he had to reverse slowly and take the correct route to NH4.

Another time, same stretch but an auto this time and me in the Xylo. This guy started manouvering to bypass me, but I kept moving forward eating his space. Left with no choice, he turned back and went about the correct route.
Way to go mmxylorider Just be careful that you do not get involved in Road Rage and keep your cool.

I also try to block the way of people coming in wrong direction on this stretch. Only concession i make is to the bikers. Not because they are doing the right thing, but because i am worried that if i block their way too much they would have a free fall with their bike from the slope.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:01   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Way to go mmxylorider Just be careful that you do not get involved in Road Rage and keep your cool.
Agreed! Best thing is to avoid eye contact of any kind (wearing shades helps), look out the window, fiddle with the ICE - just appear indifferent to what's going on.

Ah, yes - having a bigger vehicle helps
Old 21st March 2011, 17:20   #1698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This lone ranger blocked the traffic from behind for a good 20 mins.
Out of the long list of reasons for increasing the blood pressure and road rage. This tops my list.

I experience this type of riders/drivers many times and any amount of honking will fall on deaf ears. When I finally overtake them and look at their face to make them realize how frustrated they make other fellow drivers, they are still in their "doped world"

Rightly said. God save us from such menace from our roads.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:38   #1699
BHPian

HI IronH4wk
You seem to have a hawk's eye for detail and would have been excellent as a risk expert. Would be happy not to be framed in any of your pics

By the way if Bangalore troubles you then Chennai will make you livid and you may need to carry a camera which can shoot for 24/7 time as many drivers especially two-wheelers and the heaven sent three wheelers are a rule to themselves.

rgds
DP
Old 21st March 2011, 22:22   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Oh it is the same guy i reported here:
I had enough time to stop and take a pic , of the car as well as the driver.
Here is the link to the post quoted above
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post2118503
OMG ! Yes that is him ! Unbelievable ! This guy seems to be quite popular on this thread ! I would definitely steer clear of him next time I see him on the road. I am pretty sure he would be at the receiving end of the mob the next time he pulls off something akin to this. I hope they would take him to task since this chap actually believes the road belongs to his father.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:37   #1701
Team-BHP Support

How do you spot a bad driver?

Simple!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-18032011193.jpg

Anyone who parks a car like this, is and always will be a bad driver.

-------------------------------

I had a close shave with this twit in his big, heavily tinted Scorpio on the Indiranagar Double Road. He was literally forcing his way through traffic, taking gaps like a rickshaw, with absolutely no regard for other road users.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-14032011186.jpg

At the ESI Hospital junction, he overtook me rather rashly from the right and forced me onto the left side of the road. I did not move much and kept him in the middle of the road, and he found himself right in front of the median. He reacted by swerving into the left lane and then he overtook me from the left. He gently hit a few people on the road, while making his way through. A cyclist, a few pedestrians, even a parked car!

Watch out for this rogue.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:35   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
By the way if Bangalore troubles you then Chennai will make you livid and you may need to carry a camera which can shoot for 24/7 time as many drivers especially two-wheelers and the heaven sent three wheelers are a rule to themselves.
in Chennai i would require multiple cameras mounted on the car with time-lapse recording forget driving, being driven around in Chennai was a nightmare. man, its crazy out there! i believe there is a supernatural force that keeps people from running each other over!
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:16   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
in Chennai i would require multiple cameras mounted on the car with time-lapse recording forget driving, being driven around in Chennai was a nightmare. man, its crazy out there! i believe there is a supernatural force that keeps people from running each other over!
Believe me, this is exactly the words of my Spanish colleague-friend who himself is a Race bike rider in Spain. Super Natural Force in action to keep each other in inches apart.!
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:37   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Happened to me today morning on my daily commute road.
I was following a black City VTEC at a distance of about 2 car lengths, speeds were around 50kmph. Tailgating me, was this heavily tinted Maroon alto,ORVM mirrors folded in.
Everytime I even reduced my speed to maintain my distance with the car in the front, it would send the Alto guy into a panic braking moment. (From the way the car dived and stopped millimeters away from mine). I simply couldnt believe that for around 5 kilometers and about 10-15 braking instances, he(she?) simply couldnt judge if I was slowing down or stopping and almost skidded to a stop constantly. I reduced my speed, allowing the car to overtake me, but it didnt! Even my gradual braking, had this effect on the guy, I was pretty sure if I had to panic brake sometime, I was 100% going to be rear ended by him.

PS :The car was so darkly tinted that I couldnt see who the driver was at all (male/female), i couldnt even see the driver's hand on the wheel.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:16   #1705
BHPian

One thing I notice amongst people who drive cars is tailgating even on a bright afternoon (normally tailgating is not recommended but allowed only in very bad weather conditions and at a safe distance of more than 20 ft).

The most irritating habits have seen are
(1) people stopping their vehicle exactly at the blindspot of a turn and conversing with someone on the mobile or chatting with a friend, these nincompoops need to be sent to the loony bin. These are real bad drivers and will never better themselves.
(2) honking when the signal is red or turned amber (the bus guys are the most notorious)
(3) blocking a free left when the person intends to go straight
(4) the indicator light light is never switched off for miles after the turn
(5) trying to niggle into gaps during a signal (dunno what's the hurry for?)
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:15   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Some more beautiful people who go "out of the way" to help pedestrians and other motorists. (sorry about the quality of pics)

Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20110322_001.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20110322_002.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20110322_003.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2011, 14:48   #1707
BHPian

How can one forget the indomitable Innovas which are elephantine in grace during turns and cornering while trying to outmanoeuvre a swift on a highway.
Most important (the constipated cockroaches-Indicab) trying to race or rather bully (the speedometer ticking 50 kmph) from the left
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:19   #1708
Senior - BHPian

some speeding fellas on BETL!

the Baleno in front is a BHPian (i think; was sporting a sticker)
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:18   #1709
BHPian

@ Ironhawk: mate, I would seriously recommend chucking the Cam when you are driving. I can understand snapping someone when you are at standstill/at a signal etc. But doing 80 and playing around with a Cam is just as dangerous, if not more, than what the folks in your videos seem to be doing.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:33   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
@ Ironhawk: mate, I would seriously recommend chucking the Cam when you are driving. I can understand snapping someone when you are at standstill/at a signal etc. But doing 80 and playing around with a Cam is just as dangerous, if not more, than what the folks in your videos seem to be doing.
@Ironhawk why dont you mount it on your dash, it will be much safer that way...

Most Viewed